Lost and Found

The Last Avatar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Thanks for all your support! Enjoy this longgg chapter :) Don't think you'll be disappointed! AND CONGRATS TO EXO FOR THE FOUR AWARDS AT THE 2014 MAMA on the 3rd. YOU GUYS DESERVE IT ALL. LOVE YOU AND MAY 2015 BE A WONDERFUL ONE FOR ALL! EXO SARANGHAJA <3 

 

 

“Release him now!” Chanyeol demanded as he pointed his crossbow at the man currently holding Baekhyun captive. The boy was suffering; Chanyeol could make out the huge burn mark on Baekhyun’s left arm. Sheen of sweat layered the already pale and clammy face of the twin. They were busy searching through the west side of the castle when soldiers who seemed like they were part of Zökr’s Guard ambushed them in the open courtyard.

 

Where are you Kyungsoo? The Elf sent out a quick mental distress signal to the rest of the team. The scream that erupted from Baekhyun’s mouth when the Guard member clammed down on him (resulting in the burn) was loud enough to raise the dead… he was sure the other four boys would have heard it from wherever they were in the abandoned castle. So where the heck are they? Baekhyun was fleeting between conscious and unconscious state right now. He was too far-gone in the pain… He needed medical attention as soon as possible.

 

We’re here Chanyeol. Oh thank god, the Elf sighed. Why can’t Kai come and teleport Baekhyun away from danger? Chanyeol glanced around, trying to make out the hidden figures of his four friends behind the Guard that had surrounded him. He was standing in the centre of the makeshift barrier of the Guard, staring down at the one who had Baekhyun wrapped behind his strong arm.

 

He nearly did… Kai I mean. I stopped him from teleporting in right away, Kyungsoo replied. As if he knew what the Elf would ask next, Kyungsoo supplied the information straight away. The Guard member still has a hold on him… Kai teleporting Baekhyun away will surely bring the man along as well. It’ll not only reveal Kai’s power but also put the two of them in even more danger. I know the Guard; they are well trained in using their power over fire… it’s a trap. They’re holding Baekhyun hostage to lure us out. Don’t worry; we’re ready to step in when they next make a move.   

 

“Hello Elf. Fancy seeing you down here in the home of the Dwarves… Ironic isn’t it,” the one holding Baekhyun captive sneered. “I’m not going to repeat myself again. Let the boy go now or god forbid I will take you down right where you stand!” Chanyeol growled. The rest of the Guard could feel the frustration of the boy. They chuckled, as they knew that they had the upperhand in this current situation.

 

“Now now… have a little patience will you little boy. What were you and this little one in my arms doing in a dead city? Up to no good I suppose… ain’t that right?” Chanyeol refused to answer and steadied the arm holding up his crossbow. He had a clear shot at the man’s head, but he didn’t dare take it… the man might use Baekhyun as a human shield.

 

“You’re not going to shoot me are you? You’re scared you’ll end up shooting at your little friend over here. Now answer my question now… I asked what were the two of you doing down here. I know what you’re searching for… I want you to admit it before I kill you two for seeking what the dark lord wants.” The man was getting impatient at Chanyeol’s unwillingness to speak.

 

The earth beneath them started to shift as roots of multiple trees started to crawl towards each of the Guard under Chanyeol’s command. The rest were of course unaware of the movement beneath the surface, only Kyungsoo saw it. Not yet Chanyeol! Kyungsoo hissed. “Answer me!” The man roared as his palms heated up with fire, causing Baekhyun to scream loudly in pain. The rest of the Guard also raised their hands that were on fire and pointed at the Elf, as if they were waiting for the command to toast him alive.

 

“Oh hi there. Am I interrupting something?” Kyungsoo asked as he nonchalantly pranced into the picture as if all hell was not just about to break loose. All eyes turned towards him and in an instant, half of the Guard was surveying him with their arms outstretched ready to attack him. “Kyungsoo? What are you doing?” Chanyeol was equally confused at the boy’s sudden appearance. He thought the four were to remain hidden till further notice? What game are you playing Avatar? Chanyeol stared into the other’s eyes.

 

Here to help… of course, Kyungsoo smirked. I’m going to do something right now… once the man has his arm off Baekhyun… I want you to attack the rest of the Guard. Can you do that? Kai will step in to take Baekhyun away to Luhan. He’ll help his brother with his burns. Luhan’s hidden behind that collapsed wall right behind you. The three of us- Sehun, you and me will fight the Guard and buy the twins as much time as we can for Luhan to give emergency treatment to Baekhyun before we make it out of here. Is that understood? Kyungsoo asked without making eye contact at Chanyeol. Can we fight them with our powers? Chanyeol asked for he wasn’t sure whether they should reveal what they can do to Zökr’s closest men. Dead men can’t talk Yeollie… dead men can’t. That was all Kyungsoo said, but his intention was clearly understood… they’d make them pay for making Baekhyun suffer.

 

Sehun, Kai and Luhan crouched hidden behind the piece of collapsed wall as they saw Kyungsoo striding forward, before planting himself in a protective stance between Chanyeol and the man with Baekhyun. They were waiting for his signal to start their rescue mission, sword and knives at the ready to swipe at the enemy. Luhan was almost trembling at the sight of his suffering twin. Sehun ran a comforting hand on Luhan’s back to calm the poor boy down. He was more than determined now to make the Guard suffer for the pain they put the twins through.

 

“Greetings… I believe my friend asked for you to let that guy go. It’s rude you know, not conceding and ganging up on one Elf. Did you seriously think you could win despite outnumbering us?” Kyungsoo taunted through his cheery façade.

 

“Who are you… wait never mind. If you’re with these two then I shall just kill you too.” The man sneered as the rest of the Guard cheered, already plotting the deaths of the three boys. “I know what you came for boy… and you’re not going to get it. After we kill you three, we’re leaving no stone unturned until we find the egg. Zökr will be delighted with us.”

 

“Any second now…” Sehun whispered to Kai as Luhan started pulling out several bottles of medicine, awaiting to treat Baekhyun’s injuries.

 

Kyungsoo reached out a hand to grasp lightly on Chanyeol’s waist as if he was signaling to him. “So how were you planning to kill us? I volunteer to go first…” Kyungsoo smirked at the Guard, inching his way forward with his arms raised as if he was surrendering. The man scoffed as he let the arm holding onto Baekhyun fall to the side. NOW! Once his contact on Baekhyun was relinquished, the man dropped to the ground screaming at the waves of pain Kyungsoo was torturing him in. Kai popped up beside Baekhyun before teleporting him out of harm’s way as Chanyeol and Sehun sprung forward, the earth and wind powers combining to take down Guard member after member.

 

Fire was everywhere. The members of the Guard was fighting back against the trio, putting their numbers to good use. After immobilizing that one guy, Kyungsoo turned his attention to another that was just about to sneak up behind Sehun. Do not allow anyone near the twins. Kyungsoo warned as Chanyeol took down one that ventured too near to their hidden location.

 

Sehun was trying to use his tornadoes to out the oxygen that was spurring on the fire. Kyungsoo grabbed his bow and killed one who was blasting fireballs at the Elf who himself was occupied with fending off three guards. They were too many for the three to take in. It was too much for Kyungsoo to take in all their minds at once. He nearly got singed before Kai popped up to bring him across the yard. Some of the Guard were already using physical weapons against them as they felt that their fire was being rendered useless against their opponent’s own elements. If our powers can’t stop them, use your weapons! Kyungsoo suggested as he took down another guard with an arrow.

 

By now, the Guard had already figured out Baekhyun and Luhan’s location and was slowly battling their way over to the injured. Kai and Sehun were still battling with some as Chanyeol and Kyungsoo fleeted here and there, targeting the rest with their well-aimed arrows. They were still outnumbered with ten of the Guard remaining when a sudden shout rose above the racket of clashing swords, “Luhan!” Sehun shouted.

 

There the twin stood clutching a small dagger as he tried to warn against the one guard that was moving forward towards his injured brother. The four tried to stop the man before he hurt the hapless Luhan but they were too occupied by the rest, as they could only watch on helplessly as the guard member threw a dagger at Luhan.

 

But before the dagger could make contact with the boy’s torso, Luhan stepped back towards the collapsed wall and disappeared through it. Everyone blinked at his sudden disappearing act. Did he just walk through the wall? Stuck in his own confusion, the guard member failed to realize that Luhan had appeared again before his dagger was already impaling him. The man dropped down dead as Luhan stared in horror at his own actions. He didn’t want to kill him, but that man was threatening Baekhyun’s life… he had no choice. His conscience was eating at him.

 

Sensing an imminent mental breakdown, Kyungsoo reached out to appease Luhan. Good job on healing Baekhyun, I can feel him slowly regaining consciousness. Luhan, I need you to do something for me… Go find the egg. We’ll distract and finish off the rest. We can buy you some time. Find the egg Luhan… use that power just now. Pass through all the walls, boulders, everything… bring us the egg. I know you can do it hyung. Luhan shot a pleading eye at Kyungsoo, but the three guard members he was facing off with already occupied the male.

 

Taking a final worried glance at his brother, Luhan let out a huge breath as he turned and ran into the castle, passing through walls and barriers like they weren’t even there. “I didn’t know he had the power of intangibility…” Kai shouted from across the yard. Sehun and Chanyeol who were also clueless gave the twin a half-admiring glance before the said boy disappeared into the castle. “Hey stop giving me that look… I only knew of it the same time as you guys!” Kyungsoo scoffed as he took down another man with relative ease. Glancing around the yard, Kyungsoo let out a bored sigh… eight more to go. Sehun let out a celebratory yelp as he took down another one. Scratch that. Seven left.

 

Meanwhile, Luhan was clueless in the maze that was the castle. Everywhere he looked, he didn’t see one room that looked anywhere near what a throne room would look like. Oh wells, he just had to keep trying for the sake of the battling boys outside. He ran through room after rooms but the search proved fruitless. Wait… think Luhan think. Where would Grandpa Popi hide the egg? The twin halted while brainstorming for possible hideouts. Eureka! Think like a Dwarf… if I were a Dwarf, where would I hide something precious. Probably the deepest points of the castle… dwarves love their underground. Bingo!

 

Luhan let out a winning smile as he loosened his body and sank right through the ground. Running through walls were useless- that was just scratching the surface; all things precious were hidden beneath. Luhan jerked up to his feet after having fallen into a huge darkly lit room. After his eyes acclimatized to the dim setting, his mouth opened in shock- for there the egg was… lying on the grand throne. It was so befitting for dragons were the kings of the sky. He ran towards the front of the room only to screech to a halt as several ghostly figures rose, forming a protective barrier preventing Luhan from taking another step closer to the egg.

 

Is this Grandpa Popi’s last line of defense for the egg? Luhan wondered as he stared at the chilly spirits before him. If they’re only spirits, I’m probably able to pass through them too right? Luhan hesitated before taking another step forward. Wrong move. Taking Luhan’s advancement as a threat, the spirits released their fury onto the poor boy. It was unlike Luhan had ever felt before… the pain. The spirits weren’t subjecting the boy with pain like Kyungsoo was capable of doing. No… this was another kind of pain. Apparently the last line of defense was designed to render the victim emotional trauma, probably to the extent that can drive one crazy with fear.

 

The spirits knew what was the thing Luhan feared most. It was a piece of memory buried at the deepest corner of his mind, locked away for eternity as the boy feared to remember his past. The memory of five-year old Luhan witnessing the cold-blooded murder of his mother. T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter