The End Is Near

The Last Avatar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Upon arriving at the capital, Kai was ushered into the room he and Kyungsoo would be staying in for the duration of their visit. “I’ll come check on him later.” Sehun said before exiting the room with the rest of the boys. Kai stalked across the room with Kyungsoo in his arms, before settling the boy under the duvets and crawling in beside him on the bed. With his body flushed fully against Kyungsoo, the two boys cuddled and welcomed the thick blanket of sleep.

 

 

It was hours later, the early night sky still shining through the open windows when Kai felt something poking his neck. He furrowed his eyebrows and tried to blink away sleep as he looked down into the wide brown orbs of his boyfriend. “Soo? Are you feeling okay? Does your body still hurt?” Kai rambled on worriedly, before Kyungsoo silenced him with his mouth. Breaking the kiss, Kyungsoo ran a hand through Kai’s hair, “What happened back there?” Kai sighed. “I killed Heria… You know very well I can’t possibly kill you. Don’t ask that of me again.” Kyungsoo was silent for a moment. Kai drew Kyungsoo nearer as an “I’m sorry” left the older’s lips. “What about Zökr? He fled?” Kai nodded in response.

 

 

“Oh! We got the green egg out and you’ll never guess who the paired rider is…” Kai chuckled. Kyungsoo stared at the other in amusement, “You?!” Kai choked on his saliva, “No! I didn’t mean me…” Kai rolled his eyes, inviting a soft punch on his arm from Kyungsoo. “Then who is it?” Kyungsoo whined impatiently. “Yeollie did. He’s going to burst in bragging in the morning so I suggest we catch up on some sleep right now.” Kai yawned. “Chanyeol? Wow… that’s unexpected… Haha can’t wait to see what’s his dragon like and whether it will have the same personality as its rider.” Kai shuddered, “Imagine if his dragon is as clumsy and ignorant as him. Nightmare…” Kyungsoo chuckled. “Let’s sleep.” Together, the two boys drifted into a peaceful dream, for with each other’s company, that’s all they need.

 

 

“Look how cute they are!” Someone squealed as another scoffed, “Please, Lulu and I are cuter.” That sounds a lot like Sehun. Kyungsoo shifted in his sleep, while ignoring the persistent whispers. Kai pulled him closer unconsciously. Another dulcet tone joined in, “Oh my, someone hand me a piece of paper. I need to document this moment into a drawing!” I swear that’s Baekhyun’s irritating voice. “Should we wake them up? I can’t wait to show them Calen.” Someone scoffed, “Calen is a horrible name for a dragon, Chanyeol.” Now we have Chanyeol and Chen too. Wait… WHAT?! Kyungsoo forced his eyes open. The whole gang was hovering too close to the pair’s sleeping form. Sehun’s face was an inch away from meeting Kyungsoo’s.

 

 

Kyungsoo let out a loud shriek as Kai sprung up from the bed, his hands now clutching his knives as his eyes darted maniacally around the room. Everyone jumped back and hid behind the biggest shield… aka. Chanyeol. The elf had his arms up in surrender as he screeched, “Don’t kill me!” Except that there was a large green egg in his arms, so when he lifted his arms into the air in surrender, it kind of looked like he was offering a sacrifice to the Gods. Kyungsoo snorted as Kai kept his knives nonchalantly. Seeing that the danger had been cleared, Chanyeol ran forward to Kyungsoo with crazed eyes.

 

 

“Kyungsoo! I got a dragon!” Chanyeol shoved the green egg into Kyungsoo’s arms before jumping on the spot in excitement, while squealing to himself. Should I congratulate him? But before Kyungsoo could open his mouth, Chanyeol was making a grab for his egg and hugging it to his chest. “Calen says hi.” The elf waved the egg at Kyungsoo shyly. What in the world? “Erm, is that its name?” Kyungsoo tried asking. “Uh huh!” Chanyeol beamed. Kai scoffed, “It means green in elvish tongue. Funny name for a dragon don’t you think?” Kai backhugged Kyungsoo. “Told you!” Chen laughed at the back. Kyungsoo saw the smile sliding off Chanyeol’s face to be replaced by one of sadness. “I like it, the name Calen.” Kyungsoo watched bemused, as Chanyeol starting beaming rainbows. I really don’t, who am I kidding. “You like it too right… Baekhyun?” The said boy blinked twice before stuttering, “S-Sure.” Chanyeol squealed and hugged the younger twin, forcing Baekhyun’s face to flush red at the other’s close proximity.

 

 

“You should go talk to Midnight… he was extremely worried when you fainted.” Kyungsoo nodded and laced his fingers with Kai’s. “Let’s go then.” They separated from the rest of the boys who headed into the dining hall, with Kai leading the way to the dragons. It wasn’t necessary though, for Midnight accosted him once he stepped foot outdoors. Soo! Do you know how worried I was?! Don’t you ever do that again! Midnight glared at his rider. Kyungsoo reached out with both hands and clung onto his dragon’s neck, koala-style. “Sorry for making you worry.” Kyungsoo sighed.

 

 

Suddenly, Midnight jolted and sniffed the air momentarily before shaking off Kyungsoo. You guys should head to Chanyeol now. “Why?” Kyungsoo frowned in confusion. Let’s just say… we have a newcomer in our midst. “You mean Calen?!” Kyungsoo stared wide-eyed. Kai walked to his side, while Midnight frowned at the name. That’s a stupid name for a dragon. Go! Kyungsoo nodded before grabbing on to Kai. “What’s wrong?” Kai glanced down worriedly. “The egg hatched.” Kyungsoo grinned as Kai gasped before teleporting them into the dining hall, where they were met with an extremely chaotic scene.

 

 

“RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! SAVE YOURSELVES!” Chen screamed and ran pass them while carrying a squealing Minseok in his arms. Apparently the kid was enjoying the pandemonium. “Duck!” Kai shoved Kyungsoo below a table, where they were met with the frightened eyes of Sehun, Baekhyun and Yifan. “Kyungie!” Sehun flung himself at his best friend, as Kai scowled. “I thought I was going to die!” Sehun whispered with crazed eyes. Footsteps were heard running pass their table, followed by a loud enough baby roar. “What happened?” Kyungsoo asked for a recount of how the egg had hatched.

 

“We were eating peacefully until that dummy elf stood to grab a second serving.” Sehun whispered. “Chanyeol’s not dumb!” Baekhyun interrupted and smacked Sehun’s head, “He’s just special.” Sehun scoffed before continuing, “Anyways, Chanyeol had been carrying the egg everywhere and he refuses to put it down in case one of us stole it from him… that idiot.” Baekhyun scowled again. “He was kind of juggling too many plates of food when the egg kind of fell…” Kyungsoo and Kai stared confusedly. “Fell?” It was Yifan that elaborated. “The egg fell onto the floor and cracked. Splat… just like that. And that’s how the green dragon hatched.” They looked at Baekhyun and Sehun for confirmation, and they got it. “PREMATURE BIRTH...” Sehun hissed. “The dragon’s a bit not right up there.” He gestured to his brain. Ohhh.

 

 

“Where’s everyone else then?” Kai asked. “Hmm… Chen is probably hiding somewhere with Minseok? And last I checked, Chanyeol, Luhan, Tao, Suho, and Lay were trying to get the dragon under control.” Baekhyun interrupted, “Nah… last I saw, they were being chased by the dragon. Not the other way round. The dragon’s a bit free-spirited.” Talk about an understatement of the century. One need only look at his rider Chanyeol, to see where he gets all that from. Suddenly, the tablecloth hiding their presence was lifted, inciting an unmanly scream from Sehun, Baekhyun and Yifan, as they clung desperately to one another.

 

 

Luhan’s head popped in and fixed the five boys with a stare. “Get your out here all of you and help us fix the problem!” Luhan hissed and grabbed his boyfriend’s arm, dragging a protesting Sehun out from under the table. The rest crawled out hesitantly. The sight that greeted them was of epic proportions. Half the tables and chairs in the hall were on fire, or rather, the flames were in the process of being extinguished by Suho. Lay was with Chen, running after and trying to protect an excited Minseok who was determined to catch up with the baby dragon.

 

 

Before they could ask where Chanyeol was, Tao and the elf himself came crashing into their bodies. They were so concentrated on getting away from the dragon that they weren’t looking where they were running, resulting in eight groaning boys on the floor. Chanyeol was flailing on the ground, trying to entangle himself from the mess of limbs when an intimidating figure casted a shadow over their fallen forms. Everyone gulped as they stared into the eyes of Calen. “Control your dragon!” Kai hissed and pushed his best friend to the front. Desperate, Chanyeol got down on his knees and started to beg his dragon to pardon their lives. Just then, Calen fell flat on his face while taking a step towards his rider. What the hell? A dragon just fell flat on his face… The entire scene was so ridiculous that Kyungsoo burst out into laughter. “Your dragon is just like you Chanyeol! You fell on our first meeting too, remember?”

 

 

The dragon turned his attention to Kyungsoo once he said that. As he approached, everyone tried inching away from him though Kyungsoo remained in his spot. Kai was trembling against Kyungsoo’s back. Never would they have expected Calen to poke out a slimy tongue and Kyungsoo across his face. The said boy tried to hold in his grimace, not wanting to offend the dragon. “Don’t make any sudden movements.” Kyungsoo warned as Calen turned to every boy’s face. Sehun and Baekhyun looked like they were about to pass out from the trauma. “He just wanted to greet everyone, Yeol.” Kyungsoo interpreted. There was a collective “Ohhh…” from the group. Chanyeol smiled sheepishly and bowed to apologize to his dragon for misunderstanding him. Before long, the dragon and rider were lost in their private conversation through their shared bond.

 

 

Kai tugged on Kyungsoo’s hand, leading him to an unburned table for some breakfast. Sehun and Luhan joined them, whereas the rest left with Chanyeol and Calen, presumably to lead the baby dragon to greet Midnight, Hunter and Whisper. “Didn’t you had breakfast already?” Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at Sehun and Luhan. His best friend gasped. “We’ve had something to eat already…yes.” Sehun nodded, “But what about second breakfast?” He crossed his arms and glared at Kyungsoo. The three stared gobsmacked at Sehun, before Kyungsoo raised his hands in surrender and handed a plate to Sehun.

 

 

Once they were done, the four boys left for the outdoors to reunite with the rest of the boys and the dragons. They found a very red-in-the-face Chanyeol having a standoff with his dragon. The elf was gesturing very enthusiastically while Calen was shaking his head and making soft growls ever so often. The three adul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter