The Boiling Core

Chimera's fated 9
the boiling core
but life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony
—— mlk jr.

She woke up sweating and with a headache obscuring her peaceful thoughts.

A groan resonated from her surprisingly dry throat, and Jessica immediately lifted her head only to gasp and lay it back down on the heated ground. What was happening? She had never felt like this before.

The female was the first to rouse out of all the sleeping benders, however Sunny was already awake due to the fact it was her duty to guard the rest from anything that could harm them when they were all the most vulnerable. Her soft doe eyes immediately darted upwards from the notebook in her hands to the snow manipulater, a crease formed in her forehead as the girl crawled forward. "Jessica, are you okay?" She whispered softly, avoiding the sleeping masses as best as she could in order to arrive at the side of the cringing female.

"It's so...hot." Jessica mumbled, sliding out of her sleeping bag and removing the coat that had been draped around her shoulders. Sunny gently placed her fingers against the forehead of the other and was stumped to find that it was burning - there was no doubt in her mind that she had a fever.

"Oh.." The healer was quite surprised at the sudden illness that had swept her close friend, yesterday she had been just fine!  Immediately the girl sprung into action as she had been trained, while removing all the top layers of her suit, Sunny gently hushed the groaning female fanned her a bit. She stood up and went to collect her bags containing the medical supplies and squinted her eyes in confusion when she saw Suho's rosy cheeks and furrowed brows, beads of sweat trickling down his jaw.

Sunny knelt down beside him and rested her palm against his forehead, which was just as hot as Jessica's.

This was strange.

Ripping the bag open, the petite female tried to remain calm and composed as she took out a few water bottles and rags. After drizzling the cool liquid on two of the rags, she set them on both of their foreheads before feeding the two some water slowly - the best things to do for your body when you were sick was rest and drink water. After placing two of the bottles next to their figures, the girl informed them that it was there for them to drink from and to simply try to fall back asleep.

The healer pondered to herself as she slipped some herbal tea leaves into their water that would help restore their health, was it something they ate last night? the others didn't seem to be sick at all yet Jessica and Suho had both gotten fevers overnight. Speaking of the others, they began rousing and preparing breakfast, glancing at the sleeping patients while Sunny explained their confusing condition.

Their small stock of wood had dimished to a pathetic twig, so the group instead munched on some fruit and granola that had been stored in their bags while discussing the plan for the day. Yuri had taken over control due to the fact Suho was obviously not well, and her plan was simple and easy to follow. She would create a tunnel through the mountain they were possessing, Sehun, Kai, and Tiffany would accompany her so that they could carry food for lunch and assist if they encountered a threat. Yoona and Chanyeol would stay behind with Sunny, Suho, and Jessica - Yoona would be able to help a bit with treating her peers while Chanyeol could protect them if anything attacked them.

Originally, the group had been planning on moving forward together with Yuri leading the way, but Jessica and Suho would only get worse if they were pushing their bodies to it's limits. Instead, Yuri would craft the path and after returning back to their base, the group would then move together. They weren't being timed on arriving at The Unforgivable's city, so instead of pushing through recklessly,the benders were going to be smart and take it easy if they were forced to.

-

Tiffany could be described as observant.

She wasn't observant because of her training or her expert skills, she simply took notice of the details in her surroundings because she was energetic and so excitable about the smallest things. Her eyes naturally darted around to take in things that normally people wouldn't notice, and as the female was bringing up the rear of the group of Yuri, Kai, and Sehun respectively, she caught a lot of things that weren't entirely normal.

Sehun was a lot more snippy and snappy than normal, he would freak out at the smallest things and seemed to scowl almost every minute of the way. Kai was barely beginning to hum a tune when the youngest male turned to the source of the sound and began to chew the other out, he even snapped when Yuri asked if she could take a small break. Sure, Sehun was normally a bit of a teaser and snarky boy, but that was due to his age and the fact it was simply his personality. It concerned Tiffany a tad bit because she had never seen him so rude and frustrated, even if he did have a bit of a rebellious side to him, the wind bender was raised well and knew when he crossed the line and needed to stop.

Kai seemed to be exhausted, which was also strange because he went to bed quite early and got up later than the rest of them. The male was constantly rubbing at his eyes and shaking his head as if to keep himself from falling into the spell known as sleep. When Tiffany called out to him to ask him a question, he didn't respond at first and the female was forced to resort to tapping his shoulder in order to get his attention.

Yuri seemed to be fine except for the fact her feet were hurting a bit, she claimed that the ground wasn't normal and was abusing the underside of her feet. Tiffany had no idea what to make out of that so she simply continued to follow the lead of the earth bender, who was looking sleepy as well. Another thing that the electricity bender noticed was that the other three was sweating a lot, they were wiping their faces and panting softly as if something was wrong with the temperature or the exercise they were completing. 

Tiffany seemed to be the only member of their small group that was in high spirits, in fact, the girl hadn't slept so well in ages! she woke up feeling like she could run around the perimeter of the sun with a bright smile plastered on her face. As the four moved along, Tiffany practically skipped and sang happily, certainly excited to be exploring the moutain they were inside of. She felt as though her energy had been charged and was refusing to dimish at all, which only made the other memebers more sleepy and irritaited by her loud voice and giggles.

It had been a couple of hours when Yuri reached her limit and decided they all take their lunch break, she sat down with a huff and eagerly snatched up her water bottle to quench her deep thirst. The 2 male members followed while Tiffany took her time and began to eat her sandwich. Yuri had gotten through a good chunk of the mountain, despite the fact her feet were quite sore, they had made it through roughly 3/4 of the interior.

An hour passed and neither of them moved from the heated ground, it didn't take a genuis to figure out that Sehun, Kai, and Yuri didn't seem to have the energy to return all the way back the way they had come. The other group back at base had two sick members to carry as well as supplies and bags - they were in a tight spot right from the start. 

Tiffany stood up and stretched a bit before turning to the benders sitting, "Can I go back to camp? I feel great, I'm not tired at all." The female announced, casting a concerned glance towards the rest of her colleagues. She felt bad, the girl didn't want to make it seem as though she was stronger than the rest and was able to perform better, however her body was honestly feeling alright, heck, it felt amazing. Yuri definitely had an excuse to be tired, the leader had drilled through half of a mountain in less than a day without complaining once, it was quite remarkable.

Kai also stood up and nodded his head, rolling his shoulders a bit and then going on to offer his help as well. Sehun explained that he also wasn't feeling too well and would stay behind with Yuri, who in the end approved their decision to split up. The pair that was leaving left their bags with the other two before bidding them farewell and getting a move on, it was definitely going to be difficult to return later with the rest of the benders.

-

Yoona had been fanning Suho and Jessica when two figures finally came into view around the corner, much to the female's delight as she stood up eagerly and waved at the pair. Kai and Tiffany had returned, explaining how Yuri and Sehun weren't feeling well enough to make two more trips. Sunny could tell that they had been running a bit late, so in advance the healer had managed to pack up with the help of Chanyeol so that when it was time to leave, they could just go.

Kai needed a few minutes to compose himself, however was then able to sling Jessica over his shoulder and grab a bag with his free hand. His nose scrunched up a bit as he looked around and remarked in confusion, "Is it cooler here than where Yuri and Sehun are?" Tiffany didn't seem to hear as she was focused on grabbing a few bags and then beginning to lead the rest of the group forward. Chanyeol was carrying Suho and a bag while Yoona and Sunny contained the rest of the supplies in their grasp.  

The journey was tedious and exhausting, especially for poor Kai who was feeling more like a mule rather than a human being treated with respect and dignity. Sweat was dripping off of his tan skin as groans resonated from his throat, counting down the seconds as they trudged forward. The heat was unbearable and he could also cry when he saw two familiar members waiting at the other end for them.

Kai gently placed Jessica onto the ground despite wanted to drop everything and simply collapse. He then began to catch his breath and sit back, relaxing his skull against the wall only to recoil with a shout of surprise, "Why is everything so hot here?" Sehun merely handed him a bottle of water and shook his head with irritation written on his face, running a hand through his soaked hair. No one wanted to use their sleeping bag because of the high temperatures and instead they preferred to lie on the ground. Dinner wasn't served, instead the members munched on snacks because they were just too tired to perform any more efforts.

Sunny kept checking on her two patients and was stunned into silence to find they had gotten even worse - what was happening?

Jessica had begun wheezing and having difficulty breathing, her forehead was burning and her lips were chapt. Suho was sweating like crazy and no matter how much water she was feeding him, his throat was still sore and dry. Her expert hands desperately dug into a bag containing her precious items, such as her notebook, some expensive medicine, a map, and other little trinkets that would come in handy later. The girl stood up to approach Suho when her bag dropped to the floor and all the contents tumbled out. 

The map rolled over to Yoona and she observed the large and detailed layout of where they were currently, her eyebrows furrowed together and her shaky voice broke the silence.

"You guys...we were in the Alakinn forest before the storm, right?"

"Yeah." Chanyeol said while glancing at the girl, "Why?"

The shock could be seen within her expression and it transitioned into a look of horror rather quickly, "We're not in a mountain -

We're in a volcano!"

the writer's words

Sorry this update is so overdue! ;( this week was so strange and eventful I can't even explain - On Monday I got really sick and was vomiting everywhere but then the next day I was completely fine! and then my sister and I were walking when she slipped on ice and hurt her arm and had to go to the hospital! and now I have a test and if i don't pass it i won't be able to graduate 0.0 i also need to apply for a new job omg i need a long nap now lol hope you enjoyed! this chapter was pretty rushed and idk not feeling it too much orz

< a tori creation >