The Tsunami

Chimera's fated 9
the tsunami
when you're drowning, you don't say "i'd be incredibly pleased if somone noticed me" you just scream
—— john lennon

It had been 4 hours.

Jessica sat in the midst of all the bodies, her thighs hugged to her chest as her chin rested on the tips of her knees. She didn't move, didn't eat, didn't drink and didn't rest whatsoever. Her eyes were slightly blank as they gazed at nothing in particular, her brain seemed to be put on autopilot as the female didn't move an inch. If someone happened to pass by and notice her, they would most likely assume the girl was a statue or manniquin due to her stoic nature. In all honesty, Jessica didn't want to think about anything - it was as if she shut her body down on purpose in order to prevent her thoughts from wandering to the members.

The members told her all the time when they were growing up that she was the best out of all of them to deal with a heavy situation or depressing news, however the ice bender had no clue what they were talking about. They mentioned the fact her facial expression always remained the same and she just seemed extremely calm in dire environments. Despite all that, it didn't change the fact she felt the same emotions as the others on the inside - even if she looked like she was cold or okay didn't mean that she was. Due to the fact Yuri completely understood this made their friendship quite unique - both of the members were expected to be strong at all times and the two females usually went to each other when they were feeling weak.

Why did her thoughts have to transfer to Yuri when her unconsious body was draped over a rock in front of her?

It had been 9 hours.

It was the time of night where a deep and inky blanket decorated with bright stars covered the once blue sky and plunged the world into a dark atmosphere. Jessica had somewhat gotten herself together and prepared meals for her and the others, encouraging herself by believing that they would be hungry if when they woke up. Even though she didn't want to touch the members just in case the movement would disrupt their dreams somehow, the ice bender ended up lining their bodies in order and covering them with blankets.

She chewed slowly as her mind continued to remain distant, the female simply refused to think. It was somewhat childish, but Jessica merely wished that they would wake up before her mind began to worry and have to make a decision - because ultimately, she would either have to leave them or stay and wait. Her mind was procrasinating so that she wouldn't have to choose, her body was physically attempting to delay the agonozing decision that would eventually have to be made. She knew in her heart that she couldn't just abandon the others like that, but at the same time she couldn't wait for god knows how long for them to wake up, the world was literally being destroyed as she just sat there. 

It had been 20 hours.

After using the tip of her delicate finger to inscribe a message in the sand of the beach they were currently resting on, the girl finally went to bed and hoped with every fiber of her being that she would be awakened by a member shaking her. It was a dreary and dreamless slumber and when she woke up to find that nothing had changed, the surging disappointment was extremely hard to shake off. By now the meal and message she had prepared before resting was of no use and were destroyed due to the fact she was now awake and waiting for a response - any sort of sign that the members were still alive would spark a match that would lead to a burning fire of hope. 

After fixing herself breakfast and checking on each and every bender to see if their pulse was still present, Jessica placed a cloth over all of their eyes and slowly stripped in order to wash herself in the lake. Most people would assume that the mask they were wearing would be useless because they were in acoma, but the female wanted to act as if they were sleeping and they would wake up any second. It was almost like a fool's paradise, she simply couldn't come to terms with the fact some of them might never wake up. After taking a dip in the body of water, Jessica returned and resumed her mindless waiting while sitting next to the bodies and staring at nothing in particular.

It had been 41 hours.

Had it already been two days? The ice bender couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that time seemed to move so quickly as she trailed her nail down in the sand, creating another tally mark. She could tell the hours by the shadows on the beach and how the sun moved about, it was a skill they all acquired back in their training days at the academy. It seemed as though every time her brain used her memory and brought her back to the days of the past with the benders, the female's hard shell cracked a little bit and her urge to break down grew stronger every time. Jessica could feel her bottom lip quivering as became tight with the fear and emotion, Kris was definitely right about the suffering part.

Tears grew on her bottom eyelashes, however before they could freely depart they were frozen and then flicked away from her face using the back of her hand. The girl didn't want to be weak and cry, she wanted to be strong for the others and put on a brave face, even if it meant concealing her emotions - which obviously wasn't healthy. Just as she was about to wipe yet another iced drop from her face, a cough from behind her startled her and resulted in the female to practically leap out of her position and stare at the benders behind her.

All was still and at first Jessica assumed that she really must be going crazy, until it happened again and Sehun's body began to move a little while letting out a grunt of confusion. The female literally dropped to the ground and anxiously crawled over to the youngest boy, hurriedly patting at his cheeks and calling his name in hushed whispers as if he would disappear from her again. The wind bender furrowed his eyebrows and squeezed his eyes shut while shaking his head and attempting to sit up with the help of the girl. Finally, he opened his eyes and rubbed at his face with his hands, resulting in Jessica to let out a squeal of absolute delight as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled the awakening male into a warm embrace. The wind bender was mumbling, obviously a little cranky due to the fact he just woke up, however the girl ignored him as she cupped his face in her hands and smushed his cheeks.

It took a while to explain everything to Sehun because he was very disoriented and a bit grumpy from sleeping way too long and adjusting to being awake. However, as the male laid his gaze upon the unconscious members, his attitude disappeared and the concern was evident as he realized this was a very serious matter. The boy was a bit confused when she told him that Kris had announced his power had to do with him facing his fear due to the fact his dream didn't fit the description at all. He had been situated in a grand theatre and forced to watch a puppet show that displayed a puppet burning and dying - he hadn't been afraid at all. Sure, he was a bit disturbed, but his greatest fear had to do with confined places because he usually isn't able to breathe and his ability is wind. Sehun however, didn't feel exactly comfortable telling Jessica that piece of information. They were very close, however he thought that something must have been a little off with his slumber and to be fully honest he didn't think it mattered and it was quite a personal experience.

The female could tell he acted mildly uncomfortable, so she didn't press him and demand to know what his dream was about, however if he was willing to share then she would be willing to listen with open ears. Sehun didn't realize how hungry he was until he notcied a can of nuts and then the subject was changed to feeding him and getting him hydrated once again. After Jessica fussed over the young male and treated him so that he would be back in full condition, she told him to go and bathe while she watched the members again and this time she had much more faith in hoping they would rouse soon.

It had been 55 hours.

After babying Sehun by cooking for him, using any chance to display affection, and tucking the boy in for bed, Jessica and the male went to sleep in their separate sleeping bags and completed a new message in the sand in case another member rose - and someone did. 

Sunny opened her eyes to find her surroundings dark and everyone else asleep. She honestly assumed that she must have woken up in the middle of the night and simply had a strange dream, so the girl curled back up on the ground and attempted to return to a much better dream - one where she wasn't frolicing about with an unknown man in a winter wonderland. After tossing and turning, the healer found herself unable to return to sleeping, so she got up and stretched out her rather tight limbs. After accidentally reading the message, which told her to wake up Sehun and Jessica immediately, Sunny then did so and was shocked to find out that her time spent napping was much more important than she originally thought. Unlike Sehun, the female came clean about the fact her dream had nothing to do with her fear - and that allowed for Sehun to open up as well. Jessica looked between the two and shrugged her shoulders, commenting that maybe Kris just happened to be lying to her about his ability.

The ice bender was going to add that maybe their dream happened to be a vision, but that didn't add up in her head because the villain told her that it was extremely rare - the oldest female didn't believe that something very unlikely could occur with two people at the same time. The odds would be broken, with only 8 subjects it didn't make sense that 1/4 of them experienced something that absolutely almost never occured. Not only that but neither of them described what they experienced, so she couldn't tell them whether or not it was a vision or their biggest fear, they just admitted that they weren't scared which could also be a reason as to why they woke up first - they could have conquered their "fear" extremely quickly because they weren't afraid.

In the same day, when the three were playing a light hearted game of would you rather?, everyone's favorite goofy giant sat up and stared at the others with a blank face. A sleepy and confused chanyeol was the same as a sponge, it was heavy, didn't speak or move, and just absorbed what others said to it. When the trio crowded around the fire bender and began to explain what happened, he didn't nod or shake his head or open his mouth, the male just kinda stared at his hands and listened to them speak. Sehun then decided to drape his lanky body on top of the male, then Jessica joined in on the fun and Sunny then completed the human tower, the three snuggled into Chanyeol and gave him lots of pats and hugs, announcing how happy they were because of him and the flattery resulted in a few giggles out of the tallest male.

It had been 73 hours.

Sunny and Jessica had settled down next to the unconscious members, the healer naturally took her spot next to Suho while Jessica sat behind Kai and Tiffany. Jessica couldn't really say that she wasn't surprised when the female's hand began to weave itself in and out of the male leader's hair because it was just something they always did, even when the two were little the girl would play with his hair like that. Sunny's hands did the most amazing things, especially when healing. Due to the fact she spent most of her time at the academy training her hands and fingers, they became extremely able and comforting. The focus of her training was to display her healing ability through her hands and the atmosphere - but mostly her hands, so they spent years adapting and becoming soft and experienced. The other's hands were tough, scarred and cracked because they used their palms to destory and to harm, whereas the female's were extremely therapeutic because she used her hands to mend. 

Jessica somewhat caught on to the fact that the two had a fling together, however she decided to not voice her opinion and instead leave the two to themselves. She knew that Suho would be embarrassed and ashamed if he revealed to the others that he and the healer had something special due to the fact it was against the rules. Master Kim was extremely strict when it came to romantic relationships developing within the 9 benders, he told them that they were meant to train and become strong - not to smooch each other and waste time. It would be very difficult for the leader to come clean, he was the one who was meant to be a good example for all of them and enforce the rules. It actually made the ice bender quite relieved to know that Suho was human and had a heart as well, it made her feel less bad about breaking the rule as well.

The girl was snapped out of her thoughts just as Sunny announced to her that he was awake, along with a few giggles as the leader eagerly gulped down water from a pouch. Now that another member was awake, it was time for them to move uphill because that was the warning Kris had given to the ice bender. Jessica honestly wasn't sure if she should follow his advice, however better safe than sorry, and if a threat was waiting for them on higher grounds, they could now face it with 5 benders awake. The sun was setting though and the dark would make it difficult to see and begin their journey, so the members were forced to wait until the morning.

When the morning did roll around, it was time to say goodbye to the lake and all the memories it had of their time spent there. Suho carried Tiffany on his back, Chanyeol and Sehun took turns hauling Kai, Jessica allowed Yuri to reside on her back, and Yoona was piggy-backing on Sunny's back. They didn't need many breaks, however when they found themselves on large and high rocks to set up camp, the awake members were quite depleted of their energy. It took a few hours to arrive and carrying heavy masses didn't help. Not only were their bodies heavy, but they had strapped their sleeping packs and supplies to the backs of the unconcious members so their weight was heavier than normal.

After gently placing the bodies on the rock, different members decided to do different things. Sunny's legs were quite tired and rather sore from stepping all over rocks and twigs, so she decided to go walking in the nice soft grass of the forest, which was far below the members. Chanyeol needed a snack, and he spotted some peach trees in the area when they were hiking so he decided to go and eat some for a juicy snack. He originally placed Kai a good 20 feet below the others because the peach trees were lower than them and Kai was heavy. Suho thought it would be best to gather some more firewood because that was a resource they always seemed to be running low on. It was beginning to get colder and colder because autumn was approaching, so the members made fires everyday to cook and keep themselves warm. Jessica and Sehun were fine sitting and staying with the others so that's what they did.  

It had been about an hour or so after they had seeked refuge on the rocks, that was when Jessica noticed the wave. It was far on the horizon, however it was already quite huge. She assumed that it was nothing important and turned her attention back to Sehun and the discussion they were having, it honestly didn't concern her. At first she had absolutely no idea what it was, but as it got closer and closer, the female could see it. After turning her focus back to whatever it was, she realized that it was nearby and it was a giant wave of water. Jessica and Sehun's back had been facing it, so they weren't able to notice the growing threat headed right their way, and when she did, it was a bit too late. The most shocking part of the tsunami coming up behind them was the fact that she hadn't sensed it whatsoever, and she definitely should have felt a gut wrenching sensation before it even came into view. It happened with all the members and their elements, before an earthquake would even be in the process, Yuri would be able to feel it - that's just how things where.

However, the ice bender didn't have time to deduce the reason as to why her senses were numbed, she needed to alert the others. 

"Sehun," Her voice was obviously laced with panic as she shook him and turned his body around to face the tsunami, which obviously startled him into silence, "Take Tiffany and get away as far as possible." She instructed him, knowing that if a patch of her pale skin would be exposed to the liquid, everyone would be electrocuted and killed in seconds. "I'll take care of the others, just go quickly!" She yelled, her hands softly shoving him towards the unconscious girl as he easily lifted her up and took one last look at the ice bender before jumping off the boulder. Sehun technically couldn't fly, however he could make large bursts of wind take him up to high places and Jessica knew that he would be able to get Tiffany above the water - but now she had the other three benders to take care of.

Her first action would be the freeze the members.

It sounded harsh and she knew that, however stopping the entire tsunami and freezing it was going to be risky. She couldn't feel it coming so was it even water? could she bend it? If the unconscious benders were put into a block of ice, then they would ultimately survive the tsunami since the ice would float in the water and eventually melt in the sun when the water had returned to the ocean. The only problem was that the female needed to make the ice strong enough so that it wouldn't shatter when hitting into obstacles, and that would require a lot of concentration and power. After doing that to the three members, Jessica would then move on to attempt to freeze the entire wave, she would much rather be safe than sorry - the girl felt so much more secure with their bodies being protected rather than open and defenseless if the water did end up hitting them.

Since Kai was strong he had a lot of muscles and muscles were very heavy so Chanyeol deposited Kai below the other members on a different rock because his back was so strained at the time. The others didn't see a dire need to bring the male up to join them until now, when a threat was coming their way. Yuri and Yoona were a lot higher up and safer than Kai, so that's where the ice bender went first in order to make sure that he would survive. She leaped down from the rocks, she felt as though she would twist an ankle at the speed she was going on the texture of all the different rocks. After finally reaching his body and quickly removing a lot of water from the pouch she always had tucked into her coat, Jessica worked swiftly and calmly while building her shield. She cringed a little as she looked at the sleeping face of Kai and her cold hand gently placed itself upon his cheek.

"Sleep tight Jongin, good luck." She whispered as the ice engulfed his entire body and her job was done. The female stood up and placed her foot on the rock above her in order to sprint to the others when a scream escaped and someone she didn't recognize tackled her. Their bodies went crashing down the high hill of rocks and she felt her hands, arms, and legs being crushed by the weight above her combined with the hard surface of the rocks beneath her. Jessica could swear to god that she was lucky her neck wasn't shattered by the time they reached the ground and she felt a horrible pain in her ribcage. Her eyes fluttered open due to the fact they closed during the tumble, and she was more than shocked to find a male sitting on top of her, his thumb and forefinger were pressed to her pulse.

It must have been an accident...at least he's checking to see I'm alive.

"W-Wave." She croaked, her shaking fingers attempting to point in the direction of the tsunami. Her breath had deserted her the second she hit the ground hard, and the added pressure of the man's legs didn't help her lungs when attempting to inhale and exhale. He only smirked and pulled his hand away, the distinct clicking of his tongue could be heard. His eyes were sharp and there were heavy dark bags residing underneath him which made him look like some sort of a pyschopath. His hair was jet black and so were his irises, something Jessica didn't expect would be the smirk that adorned his face. "Sorry about this Elsa." He announced, his accent was thick and she could identify it only as Chinese. 

He left her to die.

Confusion was swarming her thoughts but the girl managed to get up and take a few deep breaths, there was absolutely no time or energy for her to run back up and attempt to save the girls. Jessica could only hope that they were up high enough or that she would be able to freeze the tsunami. She stood up shakily and began to run towards the wave that was literally right in front of her - it was so close that she could feel mist upon her face. Her ribs were burning with pain and she wheezed with every step she took until the girl stopped and raised her hands. The ice bender pushed her hands forward and watched with absolute horror as nothing happened, not even a snowflake. She was expecting to at least freeze a portion of the wave, but after trying at least 4 times, nothing happened. Her ability was gone and soon her life would be as well.

She couldn't go anywhere, the female couldn't outrun the tsunami now that it was so close - her mind was blank as she merely accepted her own fate and allowed the water to push her off her feet and sweep her into the current.

-

Chanyeol was at peace munching on the peaches and biting into their fuzzy skin, his feet were bringing him back to the campsite and he was ready for a nice little nap. After the long and mostly uphill hike as well as a belly full of sweet fruit, the fire bender was sleepy and excited to snuggle up next to one of the unconscious members. It was kind of strange but he liked to cuddle and the members currenly dreaming wouldn't know so why not? He had passed Sunny walking on his way back and they stopped for a few minutes to chat and hang out before they both went back their separate ways. The healer and him shared quite an interesting relationship, he was the tallest of the group whereas she was the shortest. He was aloof and a little bit of a dumbo, whereas she was the smart and witty one of the two, just like most duos in cartoons - Timon and Pumba, Groot and Rocket, Mike and Sully etc.

It was a little strange though, as he was almost upon their newest locationm there were loud snapping noises all around - almost as if trees were being broken into halves. He then heard the loud noise of water gushing and that's when he saw the tip of the wave and began sprinting in the opposite direction. 

Two thoughts were plaguing his brain, number one was the fact that Sunny couldn't swim and she wouldn't survive a minute in the tsunami. He had to get to her or at least warn her that she was in danger because if not, they could easily lose a member of their team. The second thought was thank god for my long legs - he was running as fast as he could and if it  had been another bender escaping the water, they wouldn't have made it because of the difference in height. The male couldn't hear the loud noises his feet made when they were pounding against the ground, the only thing he could hear was the water in the background. His eyes were peeled for the short figure, and he almost gasped when he finally saw her walking ahead.

"SUNNY!" He screamed as loud as he could, praying that his deep and bellowing voice (along with his body) wasn't drowned out by the water. She jumped and instantly turned around, the reaction from the wave was unmistakable as the female's eyes widened considerably and dropped open - she simply knew they would not make it out of that wave but that didn't stop her from trying. The healer began to run with all her might, knowing that Chanyeol would easily catch up to her and when he did he grabbed her hand as she let out a whimper of pure fear - was this the end? Her back suddenly began to feel cold and the female was aware that the water was right behind them, the drips hitting her clothes and hair only confirming that statement. The fire bender seemed to sense this as well because he abruptly yanked her into his chest and wrapped both of his long arms around her small body, effectively caging her inside. It was futile to continue running, his feet were already soaked as he grabbed a hold of her. If their grip was tight, maybe they at least wouldn't be separated. 

The girl felt a drop hit her face as the soft and cracking voice of Chanyeol called her name softly as he felt himself being lifted from the ground with her in his embrace. They were both dragged into the wave without a struggle. Sunny couldn't help but feel overcome with emotion because the friendly giant didn't even think twice about himself, he willingly went to save her when there was a high chance of the flame inside of him being extinguished because of the flood. It was like the water benders in the volcano, the male was trapped in a severe case of his opposite element.

 

the writer's words

aww :( how sad tbh chanyeol and sunny's relationship is one of my favorites! but anyways now all the members are separated! I didn't bother explaining  Tiffany/Sehun, Yuri/Yoona/Suho, and Kai's reaction to the tsunami because I've already written it aha. The next chapters will focus on them getting out and what they do afterwards! P.S. don't be upset that they're divided because now is when they meet the other members of EXO and SNSD! not only that but some of them will meet up again so everything will be okay! Also a villain came into this chapter with Jessica c: anyways thank you for reading! have a nice day lovelies!

< a tori creation >