The calm before the storm

Chimera's fated 9
Everyday life
an empty heart is better than a broken heart.
—— unknown

Warm beams of sunshine splayed themselves atop of the male's tan skin as he groggily smacked a pillow over his face to shield his awakening eyes from the bright light during the early hour. The male tried to return to his happy place and get more sleep, however due to the fact he skipped dinner last night, his stomach was starting to voice it's protest in loud grumbles. A thick groan sounded from deep inside his chest and Kai had no choice but to remove himself from the warm blankets and slip on the abandoned shirt lying crumpled on the carpet. After doing his morning stretches, the groggy man stumbled out of his room and down the long hallway to the kitchen that was filled with the delicious aromas of food. 

Years ago, Kai (or Jongin) had been dismissed from an orphanage as a young child when he decided to carry a 1,500 pound cow as a 6 year old child - much to the horror of the owners running the place. They saw him as a dangerous threat and therefore left him to survive on his own, which not only confused the poor boy but also fueled the belief in his innocent mind that no one wanted him. He roamed the streets and learned how to take care of himself, resorting to stealing from food stands and pickpocketing rich people who could go without a few dollars. However, one day he learned that he was different from other people, the orphan had an inhuman amount of strength.

He no longer scavenged for food like a stray animal, Jongin adopted the nickname 'Kai' and started betting on arm wrestles at bars, grinning in victory as he practically robbed the drunks who resided there. He was making a small fortune and went from hiding in alleyways to dominatinag the streets overnight. The male was around 9 or 10 when a well dressed and older man came to sit before him while ignoring the warnings from the inhabitants at the restaurant. Instead of putting money on the line, the man stated that if he won, Kai would have to go back home with him. Of course the boy thought the man was some kind of predator or creep, but hey, inhuman strength vs. old man - honestly, who do you think would win?

When their fingers wrapped around each other and their eyes met, Kai suddenly felt the bones in his left arm go flat and turn numb. His mouth slowly dropped open in shock before the match began and his opponent gently placed his temporarily paralyzed limb on the table. The loud bar went from a party atmosphere to a dead silent room as the victor simply smiled, stood up while collecting his belongings, and motioned for Kai to follow him.

It turned out that this man was an instructor and he was interested in training Kai, he owned an academy on top of the mountain overlooking the town called Chimera. As they were ascending the tall mount in a trolley, the man introduced himself as Kim Kibum but ordered Kai to refer to him as Master Kim. He also revealed that Kai wasn't the only person out there with special abilities, the teacher was currently searching for others like him.

Ever since then, the boy spent many many years learning how to use his power properly and build his strength, residing inside the academy's walls and never going back down to the small town. He was one of the first benders to begin at the school, in fact, he was the 2nd to arrive out of 9. It honestly didn't feel like a school because only 9 students were enrolled, there were lots of teachers and servants specializing in different tasks, but it always felt fishy when he passed the many empty dorm rooms and shared a bedroom with only one other boy. Even if things did get a little boring sometimes, he learned that those 8 other students were the closest thing to family that he's ever had.

Weekdays were when they trained and worked hard, but Sunday and Saturday were the days that the students could sleep in and do as they wish. Kai slipped into the kitchen and glanced towards the clock above the stove, noticing it was quite early and praying that no one was up already. He tip toed in the direction of the fridge before opening it and skimming his slim digits along the contents, removing the milk with a smile. The male opened the carton and pressed the opening to his mouth, tipping his head back in order to drink the beverage straight out of the packaging. 

As he swallowed a few mouthfuls, the student removed the milk from his face and sighed in content, looking down and cursing at the realization that some had spilled and formed a puddle on the floor. He stared at the puddle with a furrowned brow and immediately looked up when he heard someone else's voice from within the room.

"Please don't tell me you're planning on drinking that as well." 

The other male spoke calmly with his natural scowling features resting upon his face, a bowl of cereal was in his grasp as was a half filled cup of orange juice. Oh Sehun, Kai's very own roommate was leaning against the kitchen counter and it dawned upon the messy boy that the youngest of them had been watching his milk adventure the entire time. A sigh escaped Kai's plump lips as he imitated Sehun's face and spoke in a high and mocking voice, "Don't tell me that you're going to that off the floor Kai - meh meh meh meh." He chastised, walking towards the table to grab a few napkins before cleaning up the mess on the floor.

Sehun only rolled his eyes and returned his focus to the window in order to watch to the figures sparring outside, currently Yuri seemed to have the upper hand in the fight, but Suho wasn't entirely an easy opponent to face. The maknae had been innocently munching on his cereal about half an hour before when the two entered the kitchen and exchanged brief conversation, the two older students had decided on using their hand to hand combat skills instead of their special powers - because earth and water combining would make a lot of mud everywhere and they learned that hard fact the first time.

The two stayed like that, Sehun slowly eating away at his meal bit by bit while Kai searched for something to please his stomach.

-

Someone else was silently watching the sparring unfold as well.

A girl was seated on her already made bed facing the window, her long light brown hair cascaded down her back in waves and her eyes never left the scene outside of the glass. Jung Jessica ususally found herself to be a late riser and a heavy sleeper, however, lately the weather had been sticky and humid which disrupted her sleep patterns due to the fact her special ability was snow. It certainly had it's perks and she had a few cool tricks up her sleeve, but anything that had to do with fire or heat made her uncomfortable and irritaited.

After tossing and turning all night, the female had finally given up with only a few hours of sleep and rose to face the day. She was too sleepy and cranky to join the ambitious Yuri and Suho in their practicing, so Jessica simply stayed in the darkness of her room and watched their techniques making their appearance. The girl wasn't hungry enough to the point of wanting to go downstairs and start her morning, so she finally decided on waiting for her other roommate to wake up. 

Around 10 minutes passed and she grew bored of watching the two in the courtyard throw kicks and punches at each other, her nimble fingers reached over to the drawer of her nightstrand and they then returned with a book. Once she had found the page she had marked as her last, the female began reading quietly to herself for a solid half and hour or so until she felt a pair of hands encircle her neck.

A soft sigh fluttered past her lips as her hands closed the book in her possession, her eyes looked down to see nothing touching her and a tired smile managed to blossom upon her face. "Yoona, one day you're going to give me a heart attack." The older girl scolded as she began to see gentle hands materialize out of thin air and hear a few soft giggles at the base of her neck.

"But Unnie, your hair is so pretty." The younger girl mumbled as her hands began to tug gently on the combed strands, braiding a small section before abandoning it and starting anew. A few chuckles could be heard from Jessica as she simply shook her head at the statement but allowed her roommate to do as she wish.

All the students at the academy were extremely close due to the fact they all grew up together, however Yoona and Jessica shared a special bond that no one else had. Jessica was the first student to enroll at the academy, Master Kim first sought out her younger sister Krystal, however her parents feared that she was too young and offered Jessica instead. Her younger sister at the time didn't understand that Jessica would be leaving for a long time and would only come back home for a few days, and that took a toll on their close friendship. Krystal and Jessica played together everyday and were both sobbing and heartbroken when they were forced to part. 

Yoona was the last member to arrive at the academy and she was the youngest female, the poor girl was frightened and she refused to speak to anyone. She was shaking a lot and cried the first few days she settled in, and that's when Jessica decided to take the girl under her wing. Yoona had left behind her older sister at home, and Jessica had to go without her younger sister so the two almost completed each other. With the help of Jessica's soft and comforting words, Yoona was able to open up to the other household members and become the quirky and gentle girl she is today.

Once the soothing hands had removed themselves from Jessica's head, the girl turned around to find Yoona seated on her bed in her pajamas, a broad smile plastered on her face. Jessica's hand reached up to ruffle the other girl's hair affectionately and she stood up from the mattress with a long stretch and a sigh of content. "Come on, let's go downstairs and get some breakfast." 

Before the oldest female could make her way towards the door, it suddenly burst open to reveal a red headed girl behind it with a wide grin dominating her face. She was in her pink pajamas with a fuzzy pink blanket wrapped around her shoulders as the student pranced in and announced in a cheery voice, "Good Morning!"

Jessica sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose while placing her upper body on Yuri's bed with the snide remark, "You two are going to be the end of me."  Tiffany burst into a fit of energetic giggles while skipping over to Yoona and dancing around with her, commenting on how the two were matching with their outfits. They both laughed and made their way over to the tired Jessica so that Tiffany could pull her up and lead them both downstairs to the kitchen.

-

The short girl was running a hand through her short blonde hair and mumbling curses to herself at her foul luck.

Sunny was known for being the sweet and kind cutie pie, but that didn't mean she wasn't tough or smart like the rest of the students. Her biggest flaw was being curious, and that resulted in exploring the school grounds and finding the best hiding spots for when she needed to conceal something or play a game. It was one day that they were all playing hide and seek and the girl crawled behind a wall and sat in the spider webs, only to become shocked at her discovery.

The wall she was hiding in was the one enclosed around Master Kim's office, and boy did the girl hear a lot about the current status of the world. A con about living inside the academy was that they weren't allowed out very often into the actual town of Chimera and they were told very little about news outside of the estate. Their families were allowed to visit in order to see them, but they were practically trapped there for a good portion of their lives.

After winning the game, Sunny found herself regularly going to sit inside of her newest hiding spot, eavesdropping in on the conversations the instructor would have with his messengers. She ususally brought a small notebook and a pencil with her in order to write down current events going on with something or someone titled The Unforgivable. 

It was early that morning when she tucked her notebook and writing implement into her sweater pocket and began the walk to the hole in the wall obscured by a grandfather clock. As her hands pushed the large piece of furniture to the side, the girl lifted up the fake piece of wall that masked the gap and almost screamed when someone wrapped their arms around her and pulled her away. She immediately looked up and sighed in relief to find a very confused giant standing above her.

"Oh my god." She sighed while leaning against the grandfather clock and slapping a hand over her forehead, thanking the gods that it wasn't Master Kim who had stumbled across her bad habit. Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows together as he crossed his arms over his chest and huffed, "Where are you going? I want to go with you." He remarked. Sunny observed his outline in the dark hallway, noticing that he was only wearing a tank top and sweatpants, his hair was also a bird's nest and that allowed her to conclude that he had just recently rolled out of bed. 

Chanyeol had only gotten up to go to the bathroom in the early hour, however, when he spotted Sunny sneaking out of her room he couldn't help but follow and see what she was up to. He was quite surprised to find she was entering a wall and wanted to see what she was up to and if she had some sort of special mission.

"Chanyeol." The female hissed, looking around desperately in the hopes that none of the butlers or maids had started to work yet, "Just follow me, I'll explain inside." Sunny took one last look around before holding the flap concealing the hidden passageway and crawling on all fours, hearing Chanyeol's body drop down to the floor and do the same. The girl continued to crawl like that until she recognized that she was about halfway to the office of their teacher and she stopped and sat down to face her companion.

"Remember that game of hide and seek we were playing and it took you guys forever to find me? and I never told you were I was hiding?" Sunny whispered quietly, leaning forward with a fiddle of her hands. The look on his face at first was still sleepy and confused until about 20 seconds passed and understanding washed over his features and a nod was his response. The student motioned to where they were seated, shifting a bit in order to get more comfortable in the cramped space. "This was where I was hiding, and while I was sitting up ahead, I heard Master Kim talking about things going on outside." Her voice was very soft and her face was inching closer to Chanyeol's ear in order to pass on the crucial information, praying that no one could hear them.

His eyes got wide and his lips dropped open, muttering a shocked "Really?" before his hand cupped his mouth and his pupils darted around the closed area. Sunny merely nodded and removed her journal to wave it and announce that she had been taking notes on what was going on - the only problem with listening in on their conversations was the fact that they had to escape without anyone looking and the sun was starting to rise.

Instead of crawling further into the darkness and listening in on what their instructor would talk about, Sunny decided to whisper the fragments of her diary to the male in order to get him up to speed on what was happening. It was only around 2 weeks of data, but when she finished the female knew that they were going to have to leave quickly. On Saturdays the staff rose extra early to start cleaning, and if they weren't out and about soon people would start to get suspicious.

The girl's nose crinkled in thought on how to escape when an idea hit her and another sigh of relief left her plump lips that morning, "Follow me, we're going to keep moving forward and eventually we'll arrive at the stables." She mumbled softly before starting to crawl into the darkness again, hearing Chanyeol smack his head on a plank of word and swear profusely while she giggled.

Eventually the walls began to open up into a clearing and they were able to walk on their feet until the pair came to a stool. Sunny stood up on the stool and spread her palms out flat, shooting her arms upwards and hitting them on the trap door above, successfully opening it and revealing the light from the sun outside. With the help of Chanyeol's strong arms and height, the male lifted her out of the tunnel and then hopped out himself.

The two worked to cover the trap door with hay from the stables and then went around greeting the friendly horses occuping their stalls. After dusting off his clothing while returning to the main entrance of the mansion, the boy shook his head and laughed softly, "Damn, I should follow you more often." 

-

A punch directed at his jaw resulted in the male to barely flee from the fist, holding a hand up while resting his hands on his knees and gasping for air. Suho and Yuri had been sparring all morning and it was obvious from their exhaustion that they were starting to slow down and finish the fight. A laugh could be hear from his opponent and the male allowed a few breathy chuckles to slip past his lips as well, she was gasping for air and wiping a drop of sweat from the side of her face.

"Ready to head back in?" The female questioned, scooping up her water bottle that had been carelessly tossed on the ground and stealing a long sip from it. The male leader merely nodded his head while taking his own beverage and doing the same, reaching forward to shake the girl's hand with a smile and a nod. "That was good exercise." He announced and she laughed again as they began to walk back inside the estate.

 The pair entered the kitchen to find that the 7 other members had assembled there as well. The rest of the girls were seated at the table and Sunny was talking excitedly to Tiffany and Yoona while Jessica had fallen asleep next to them. Chanyeol was attempting to fry eggs with Kai and a burning scent was wafting up to their nostrils the second they had opened the door to the room while Sehun was simply watching the two males make fools out of themselves. 

Yuri teased the chefs and Kai retorted back that she had burned her toast last week and then that resulted in the male to be held in a headlock while he screamed and struggled against her rock hard grip. Despite all the chaos that was occurring in front of the calm water bender, a smile tugged at his lips and he sighed in content. He loved mornings with his family members.

-

the writer's words

This is just a normal morning at the mansion with all the benders! I'm not sure if i mentioned all of their powers, but i'll just list them here in case i did not. Chanyeol - Fire. Tiffany - Electricity. Suho - Water. Jessica - Snow. Kai - Strength. Yuri - Earth. Sehun - Air. Yoona - Invisibility. Sunny - Healing. Also if you haven't noticed, there are four pairs of two with powers that relate to each other! like snow and water, Sunny is the odd one out with the healing ability. Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Thanks for reading :)

< a tori creation >