A Diminishing flame

Chimera's fated 9
a diminishing flame
the inner fire is the most important thing mankind posesses
—— edith södergram

He never let go.

The wave was fast, dark, and ruthless as the two were shoved along through the current without consideration or a second thought to their wellbeing. Sunny wasn't paying attention at all to the direction they were headed in, her small hands gripped tightly to Chanyeol's shirt as her face dug itself into his chest as well so that she would stay close. Her mind was repeating it's okay, don't think about it over and over again so that she wouldn't have a panic attack in the water, the female knew that she had to be brave and strong for Chanyeol's sake because that's what he was doing. A few times, the girl felt something crash into them or stab at her, but she ignored them and held her breath, gasping for air whenver the chance was given. The healer couldn't remember how long this when on for, however something suddenly smashed into her skull and she was out like a light.

When she woke up, Sunny was even more terrified than before.

After the tsunami, she honestly expected that the two would wash up on land or at least catch somebody's attention who could rescue them. They had been toyed with and tortured enough, right? nope, that apparently wasn't the case. As her eyes struggled to open, the female felt her body was still soaked, the scent of salt was still terribly overpowering, and her feet were nowhere near the bottom of the body of water. A sudden snap of fear exploded throughout her as the healer realized she was in the ocean, Chanyeol wasn't in front of her, and she still couldn't swin. Her body slightly sunk as caught a lungfull of water and her arms began to flail, the panic that wasn't initially there beginning to set in.

Her eyes clamped shut and her mind kept attempting to absorb the lessons that Suho gave her until finally her limbs began to tread ever so slightly. The female obviously wasn't an olympic swimmer, but the fact that she could scrape by was enough in her mind. The fact that there was no ground to rely on most likely made her brain more focused and alert rather than the relaxed time spent in the lake with the rest of the members. After overcoming that obstacle, Sunny now needed to attempt to find Chanyeol and tend to any of the wounds he had because the male was already in grave danger after facing the tidal wave.

"Sunny."

She jumped as an extremely hoarse and croaky voice spoke up behind her, and instantly the girl spun around to find the fire bender looking extremely sick while floating in the water. Both of his arms were spread out and it looked as though he had been reaching for her, his skin was pale and he was taking deep breaths obviously due to the drastic change in element. The veins that were normally tucked underneath his body were now making an appearance, the blue lines appearing all over his exposed skin. It only took a few desperate to reach the male before the girl took his hand and began to evaluate his physical form, starting with his dull pulse and ending at the temparture on his forehead. Chanyeol was cold, having trouble breathing, a few bones were broken, and his body was littered with cuts and bruises.

The worst part was that Sunny couldn't do much due to the fact they were stranded and she was injured as well. 

A benefit of her ability would be that she knew right away where and how she was injured, which bones were cracked and how long it would take to heal them - you could basically say she knew her body like the back of her hand. The female was aware of the fact that it would take at least an hour to mend all her wounds and it was obvious that the fire bender didn't have that much time. The girl couldn't restore the male back to his original state because they were still in the water, she was going to try but that wouldn't change the fact that he was sick. It would somewhat make his health neutral with the combination of her healing and the effects of the tsunami, however it wouldn't make him healthy or on the brink of death.

So that's how Sunny spent hours, her palms on Chanyeol's chest as she ignored the pain her body was facing and looked in all directions for any sort of help that would save the two. She never stopped healing him and he just stared up at the sky, the silence was neither comforting nor awkward. It was evident that they both were at a loss on what to do, there was just water for miles and miles around. Sometimes he would speak up and thank her, but other times she would shush him and tell him to concentrate on happy thoughts because the two of them were going to get out of this okay. She wanted to swim away and search for something that could save them, but Chanyeol was a time bomb and if the girl lifted her hands off the timer would start right away.

Night came and went.

By the morning, Sunny was starving and felt dry as a desert. It was always said that when you drink sea water, you begin to go crazy and the salt is awful for your health. The girl always promised herself that if the situation occurred, she would never succumb to the water, however now that she was involved, thirsty, and stranded, she was beginning to understand the temptation. barely managed to swallow as her eyelids threatened to close and her breath left her in a sigh. She hadn't slept a wink and Chanyeol's concerned gaze only confirmed the fact that her loss of energy, food, and water was evident on her face. The only issue was that she couldn't stop, she had to go on for the health of the male and the both of them knew that.

In the afternoon, the fire bender decided that he had to do something.

He barely convinced the girl into allowing him to ignite a flare that could alert anyone in the area, it originally went against her morals because it would only worsen the flame inside of him threating to go out. Sunny was normally a very stubborn girl who wasn't easily won over when it came to important and dangerous actions. Because of her state and the diminishing hope from not finding help, the girl was forced to cave into his idea. After taking a few deep breaths, the male conjured up as huge of a fireball he could given the circumstances and shot it upwards into the sky. The two watched it fly up and explode against the normally blue sky.

It was nighttime when she passed out.

-

When she woke up, she was on a boat.

Her vison was blurry and her head ached, however things felt much much better. The stench of sea wasn't imprinted on her skin any longer, her body wasn't trembling from the terrible cold of the ocean, and her thirst and hunger had been quenched. A voice startled the girl slightly, however upon further inspection she found it was soft and sweet, but she couldn't make out what the stranger was attempting to tell her. A bottle was pressed to her plump lips and after drinking it, Sunny found that it was water which helped to become moist again and allow her vision to clear.

Sitting up from her lying down position, the girl found that she was in a room and on a hammock. The healer could feel and hear the gentle waves colliding with the walls of the ship, and after rubbing at her eyes, she found another female in front of her sitting down. The stranger had long brown hair, a pretty face, and a red shirt on. A smile split her lips as she waved and nodded, acknowleding the fact that the bender was now awake. Her voice was much clearer and slower this time around when she was speaking, and she introduced herself as Hani.

Sunny was going to interrupt and ask about her whereabouts, however the girl began to explain her situation before the other female could in. Hani explained that her friends and her had found the two stranded after they stumbled across the flare in the ship, they had saved the two and now Chanyeol was in the medical ward sleeping off his injuries. Sunny had also been taken to the medical ward due to the fact she was also injured, but it was split into female and male sections. The girl was apparently doing much better than the male was because her scratches, bruises, and spell of dehydration had disappeared rather quickly. It was of course due to her ability, however Sunny wasn't sure whether or not it was safe to reveal her identity. It was nice that they were rescued by the girl and her friends, but that didn't mean they were angels or good guys and would keep their powers a secret from the world.

The healer felt quite tired and wanted to get more rest, however first she wanted to check up on Chanyeol and see how he was doing. Ever since she woke up, the girl was practically burning with anxiety and nervousness, she had to see whether or not the male was okay. The image of his terrible condition haunted her mind and even Hani couldn't prevent her from swinging her legs over the side of the bed and sliding her bare feet into the comfy slippers. The girl requested that her nurse lead the way, and after a bit of stuttering and objectifying, Hani closed and helped the female into the other room.

Sunny couldn't mistake the dark hair and the lanky body of the fire bender as she rushed forward and placed her hands on the bed he was laying on, a real genuine smile lighting up her face for the first time in days. "Oh thank goodness." She whispered softly as her finger gently probed at his cheek. He certainly didn't look as bad as he previously did, however it was obvious that he wasn't back to his full health. The male wasn't responding to any of her touches, she knew that he was naturally a deep sleeper but this was a bit ridiculous. It seemed as though he lost weight instead of gaining it and the environment in his room seemed to be completely different from her own. His skin actually felt clammy and cold upon touch which confused her, but the hands of the other girl were quick to remove her own and guide her back to her own room, assuring her with sweet words and soft touches.

"Come on, you both need to rest, right? You can see him again in the morning but for now you should go back to sleep."

Sunny didn't protest this time as she was tucked back into the blankets on top of the hammock, instead she thanked the girl and waited until she left to ponder what to do. She wanted to quickly heal the male but at the same time she was exhausted and felt sleep overcoming her. Chanyeol seemed to be okay in their hands, right? It was a bit strange that he was in a bed and not a hammock like her, but the girl was quick to tell herself to stop overthinking things. The healer decided that the next day or night she could probably sneak into his room and restore him to his full health.  Hopefully after that they could depart and attempt to find the others, but for now it was time to rest and appreciate the fact that both of them were alive and with a roof over their heads.

Her eyes fluttered shut as her brain drifted into dreamworld and her ears missed the click of the lock

 

the writer's words

hi guys! sorry it's been a while, i started working so i just need to adjust to my new schedule :) hope you enjoy this chapter! i don't want to give anything away so i don't think i'll talk a lot about this chapter for now! however we know that Hani is actually an idol and from the band EXID so yeah! have a nice day c: 

< a tori creation >