The Puzzle Has Been Solved

Not a Reflection in the Mirror

Ms. Yuki, Taemin, Jongin, and Mijin went on a small vacation to a ski resort a few hundred miles away from the city they lived in. Mijin was so happy to see the snow because though she doesn’t particularly like the winter, she loves the white, pure snow. Her friendship with Jongin had gone back to normal, and they once again went back to acting like a couple. They spent most of the time at the ski resort with each other, and Jongin even started to teach Mijin how to ski. The couple still hadn’t stop arguing with each, especially when it concerned Kai and flirting with girls. Mijin told him that she likes him and he said that he likes her, but right after he said that, he started to flirt with the girl next to him! Mijin hated it when he flirted with other girls. Jongin was planning to take Mijin out of a date tonight because she caught him flirting with three girls in one day and to make it up to her, he said he will take Mijin somewhere special tonight. Kai asked her to meet him near the bench in the garden.

 

As Taemin took a stroll on the second floor of the resort, he saw Jongin flirting again with a few girls. Taemin sighed and shook his head as he thought how his twin is never going to learn or change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours later, Taemin stepped out of his room when he thought that he heard someone knocking on the door. Turning his head to the left, he saw Jongin opening the door to his room.

 

“Jongin ah?”

 

“Good night Taemin hyung, I am very tired.”

 

“Jongin, where did you come from?” He asked somewhat surprised to see him here.

 

“I was downstairs with a few girls.” He scratched the back of his neck. “Well I am off to bed! Good night.” Jongin went into his room without saying another word.

 

Taemin was shocked to see Jongin because he knew that his brother was supposed to meet Mijin. In the afternoon Taemin saw Jongin and Mijin arguing with each other; she was mad at him for flirting too much with other girls, then Taemin overheard Jongin say that he will make it up to her by taking her on a date tonight which was supposed to start an hour ago.

 

Taemin raced downstairs to the place that his brother had told Mijin to meet him at. When he reached the place, Taemin saw her sitting on the bench; she had been waiting for Jongin for over an hour. The weather outside was freezing, it was snowing and the temperature was below zero. The second Taemin ran up to her, Mijin’s head snapped up, thinking that it was Jongin as her eyes stared at the older twin with mixed emotions, which included confusion, pain, and sadness. Taemin reached for her gloved hand, gently pulling her up to her feet. He ped his jacket and put it around her.

 

Taemin brought Mijin back to his room and walked her close to the fireplace as she was in too much of a shock to say or do anything. In the light of the fireplace, he could see Mijin’s face was red with a little tint of purple. Taemin took Mijin’s jacket, scarf, boots, and gloves off so that her stone cold body would warm up quicker in the heat of the fire.

 

Silent tears rolled down her cheeks as she looked at Taemin with an expression that caused a sharp pain to shoot through his heart. No longer being able to control himself, Taemin placed his hand on her cheek, wiped her tears away, and pulled her into a tight embrace, “Please don’t cry.” He felt her body trembling.

 

“Why does he do this to me? I have forgiven him for everything he has done because I thought that he would change, but he is still the same Casanova. That day at the party when his friends made fun of me, I was very hurt by their words, but despite that I still accepted his apology. Why is he like this?” She asked, but Taemin had no answer to her question; instead all he could do was to hug her closer to him.

 

Mijin liked Jongin very much, but he constantly hurt her over and over as if it seemed fun to him to hurt her. She couldn’t stop crying as she thought why Jongin couldn’t be more like his brother. Right as Mijin thought that she realized something—something that she never understood before. That day when Ms. Yuki asked her if she had noticed a change in Taemin’s behavior—the ahjumma said that the happy, cheerful Taemin was replaced with the mature and quiet one—the reason for this change was her…Mijin was responsible for this change.

 

Slowly all the pieces began falling into place as Mijin remembered that she and Taemin were best friends, but suddenly they got separated. She understood that Jongin was responsible for tearing them apart, but Taemin did not say a word to his brother because she was happy being Jongin’s friend. The entire time Taemin was suffering—and she was responsible for it.

 

Suddenly Mijin remembered the teddy bear and the card that she found on the day that she had gotten mad at Jongin for ditching her at the party. It clicked to her that Taemin was the one who placed that card and the teddy bear in her bedroom.

 

Despite the fact that Mijin has hurt and ignored him a lot, Taemin never once hated her; this whole time he cared about her and quietly watched over his best friend from afar.

 

“I am sorry…” She whispered and wrapped her arms around Taemin, “I am very sorry—Tae oppa.”

 

He was astonished to hear Mijin call him Tae because the last time she called him by that name was when they were still best friends; after she got close to Jongin never once did she call him Tae.

 

“For what, Mijin?”

 

“I hurt you so many times yet you—never even once hated me, instead you watched over me and made sure that I was happy…” her hug got firmer, “I am sorry Taemin oppa, please forgive me—for everything that I have done.”

 

“You don’t need to apologize for anything Mijin; I am not angry at you nor have I ever been mad at you.” As soon as he said that she started crying harder. Pulling her away from him, Taemin wiped her tears away, “Don’t cry—I cannot see you crying…”

 

“Why do you care about me so much? You should not be helping me right now; you should be happy about what Jongin oppa did to me.”

 

“For the first time I am furious at my brother for abandoning you the way he did today. No matter what Mijin I can’t see you hurting and I don’t want to see you hurt.”

 

“But why, Tae oppa?” She asked softly.

 

“Because—I love you.”

 

Mijin stared at Taemin with wide eyes taken aback by his confession.

 

“And I have loved you since we were young.” He brushed her left cheek with the back of his right hand. The two of them stood there staring at each other until Mijin got up on her toes and encircled her arms about his shoulders, causing Taemin to lean down and embrace me tightly. She did not know what to say to him because even though she hurt him a lot since she became Jongin’s friend, he still loved her.


“Why are you so caring, Tae oppa?” Mijin clutched onto the back of his shirt, “Why?”

 

Taemin released Mijin from his grip and studied her face with his piercing eyes. Taemin began closing the gap between their faces, “Because I love you very much.” His lips touched her as Taemin pulled his childhood love closer to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone, hope you're enjoying the fanfic! Please upvote, subscribe, and comment otherwise you'll make Panda sad!

(credit goes to mongrelssister)