The Twins and the Bubbly Girl

Not a Reflection in the Mirror

“Good morning, Ms. Yuki!” A young girl dressed in baby pink ruffle shorts and a plain white tee entered the Lee mansion, making her way to her favorite ahjumma.

“Good morning, Mijin dear. Jongin is upstairs in his room.” The older lady said already aware that the bubbly young girl came to visit the younger son of the Lee family.  

“Ms. Yuki, you know me so well.”

“Mijin dear, whenever you come here, the first thing you do is see Jongin.”

“Thank you!” She playfully waved to the ahjumma before running upstairs to Jongin’s bedroom. She flung open the white colored door without knocking, knowing that the young boy was most likely asleep. Mijin slowly crept closer to his bed before gently shaking his shoulder, “Lee Jongin, wake up right now.”

The boy refused to move an inch or pay heed to the girl. “Kai oppa, WAKE UP!” Getting frustrated with her best friend, Mijin sighed loudly and exclaimed, “What am I going to do with you?” Suddenly he grabbed her hand, pulled her down beside him, and tightly wrapped both of his arms around Mijin without opening his eyes.

“Oppa.” Mijin’s cheeks started to turn a light red as her eyes scanned the handsome boy’s sleeping face.

“Hey there.” He opened his alluring black eyes.

“Don’t ‘hey there’ me! You promised me that you would be ready by the time I got here.”

“I went to bed late last night, and besides I wanted you to wake me up.” He flashed one of his charming smiles.

“Kai oppa, that smile is not going to work. You can never keep a promise.”

“Hey, don’t get upset,” he brought his hand up to Mijin’s glowing cheek. “Give me fifteen minutes and I will be ready.”

“No more than fifteen minutes.”

“At least give me a small, cute smile.”

“No.” She crosses her arms and gave a small humph.

“Mijin, you can never get mad at me so stop pretending and smile or else.”

“Or else what?” She glared at him, causing Jongin to start tickling her, “Kai stop!” She said trying hard not to laugh but gave in anyways.

“That’s much better!” He smirked triumphantly before arising from the bed to go take a shower.

The young girl sat on the bed as her eyes scanned the cream, gray, and tan colored bedroom.

Jongin came out of the bathroom, “Ready in under fifteen minutes.”

“Still not forgiving you.”

“You can never get mad at me,” he slung his arm around her shoulders, “Which is a good thing because if you ever get upset with me, then I will have no idea what to do.” Jongin was right, Mijin could never get angry at him, and even if she managed to get upset, then it would only be for a few seconds or minutes at most.

The best friends descended the stairs which led into the huge, sober living room. “Morning hyung!” Jongin gave a playful bow to his older brother, rather his older twin, Lee Taemin.

Jongin, also known as Kai, and Taemin are fraternal twins; they both have similar facial structures and features, are the same height, have the same body built, and similar voice textures. Despite the fact that they have similarities, the two twins also have their differences. The main difference between the two brothers is their personality. Kai is an outgoing, cheerful, flirty, and carefree person. He is always seen with a charismatic smile; he does not know the definition of seriousness; Jongin loves to flirt especially with Mijin and because of this reason they are seen as a couple. The truth is that Mijin actually like Kai as more than a friend, but she is unsure whether he knows this or not. On the other hand Taemin has a calm, collected, serious, and mature nature. Unlike Jongin, Taemin does not flirt nor does he joke around; the older sibling only speaks when he thinks it is necessary for him to, and he rarely smiles. He appears to be a cold person at first glance but he is very caring; Taemin takes care of Jongin and whenever his brother makes mistakes Taemin covers up for him. The two brothers have a strong bond; Jongin loves his older brother, and Taemin is Jongin’s shield who never lets anyone say or do anything to his twin.

“Where are you two going today?” Ms. Yuki asked as she was organizing the center table in the living room.

“We are going to go visit Disney World.” Jongin replied casually.

“Really?” A happy Mijin asked facing him.

“You wanted to go, didn’t you?” He gave a soft chuckle as a huge grin formed on his best friend’s face.

“Kai oppa, you are the best! Thank you!”

“See what I mean? You can’t stay mad at me for long.”

“Oppa, one of these days I will get mad at you and not forgive you for it! It will happen.”

“Very funny.” Kai lightly tapped her cheek, “Let get going then. Ms. Yuki, we will be back late.”

“Just take care of yourselves” She gave a gentle smile.

As the couple made their way to the main door hand-in-hand, a pair of eyes followed Kai and Mijin. The older twin was sitting on a black leather sofa located a few feet away from the center table with his gaze fixed on them. Since the three of them grew up together, Mijin was his and Jongin’s childhood friend. Jongin and Mijin might be best friends but sometimes they behave like a couple which caused Taemin a lot of pain.

Truth being told, when they were younger, Mijin was Taemin’s best friend; the two were just as closer if not closer than she is to Jongin now. They spent all of their time together because Mijin was Taemin’s one and only true friend. Even though the two of them would involve Jongin in all of their activities, for an unknown reason he would feel left out; neither Mijin nor Taemin ignored him yet still he acted like they did.

One day Jongin came up to Mijin, pulled her away from Taemin, and said that she was only his friend. Being the naïve girl that she was, Mijin never understood that Jongin wanted to separate her from Taemin; she slowly drifted away from him and drew closer to his younger brother. From that day on, Taemin would be the one who watched them from a distance. He cared about Jongin too much and could not tear Mijin away from him or even tell him that what he did was wrong. Because of their past, Mijin would feel awkward around the older twin, hence she rarely said a word to him. Taemin loves Mijin and has loved her since they were little, but he could not tell her about his feelings especially knowing that she likes Jongin.