Chapter 12

Sparkling Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The report book scattered at the table, behind it Seohyun massaging her temple slowly, trying to ease the pulsating pain in her forehead. She was starting to come to the office since days ago, receiving the shocking gaped from her subordinates. Even her mother look surprised when she heard it.

 

She was already thinking about it. In her circumstances now, it will make no difference for her even if she tells her mother about Yonghwa. Yonghwa too won't accept her that easyly with him doubting her sincerity. She can't take an easy way. She only could depend on herself.

 

That's why she started to work at the company. Looking at the files and hoping to find better solution for their condition. After the news about her engagement with Zhang family goes public, her company stock increase rapidly. It was a good sign since Zhang family promise they will lent them money to pay their debt by becoming one of the biggest investor in their company after the wedding held. It makes her mother happy and finally could give a sigh of relieve. But not Seohyun.

 

She felt burden by all of it since she was the one who should sacrifice her life and making her future hook on the line. It was too late to called off the engagement when their company financial still unstable. More scandal could bring their stock fall in the pit of downfall. She can't take that risk, not with her father healthiness is depend on it.

 

The only way for her to solve the problem was trying to find new investor. Make new plan for their company in the future and wish to attract the investors. If she got it, she will tell her family right away to cut off the engagement. And it could prove to Yonghwa that she loves him and wasn't just after his money.

 

Things were easier to say than do. That's for sure the biggest problem of all.

 

She already tried to calculate everything. Start from selling the unprofit company, unused property, and finding new investor. But it wasn't that easy. Her father close friend already knows about their condition and refuse to help her. They even said to just get married with Zhang family and everything will be alright.

 

If only everything will really be alright after that.

 

Here she was, hiding behind this paper with a slight headache ruining her concentration, trying to dig deeper to the resolution. She was a bit desperate, frustration were taking over her right mind.

 

"Here is your coffee, Ms. Seo." Yuri, her assistant said.

 

"Just put it on the table, Yuri." Seohyun said shortly.

 

Yuri seems a bit confuse for a bit when she was stand still at her spot despite doing what her boss asked. Seohyun looks up and finally realized what holding her back. "Ah.. just put it above that drawer, please." She said when she saw her table full with scattered paper.

 

"Yes Ms. Seo." Yuri puts the glass above the drawer. "Is there anything you need?"

 

"No, thanks." Yuri walks out of her room after that and stop at the front door. "Hmm.. Ms. Seo.. There is someone who wants to meet you."

 

"I don't want to be disturbed." Seohyun said.

 

"B-but.." Yuri hesitated. "This is your fiancee."

 

Seohyun looks up at a silhouette of a man, standing with a flower in his hand, looking undoubtedly handsome but unfortunately can't even flutter her heart a bit. "Hey.." He wave from the door. "May I come in?"

 

Seohyun growled inwardly, finally gesture Yuri who blocks his step since before to let him in which she gladly followed. Lay comes in and handed her the flower. White tulips.

 

"Thanks.." She said slowly. "What brings you here lay-ssi?"

 

"I see you were busy, Joohyun. But can you just spare me your time? We haven't seen each other for..." He looks at his wrist watch. "Four days and 3 hours and yes I'm counting."

 

Seohyun feel uncomfortable with the way he called her as if they were that close. She looks up and saw him smiling at her. "There's something I need to do, Lay-ssi."

 

"Should I wait here then? What time do you finish?" He asked, stomping his body in her couch comfortably.

 

"Don't you have anything to do, Lay-ssi?"

 

"Of course I have. But for me, spending time with you is most important. Come on just two hours will do. You still owe me an explanation for your sudden missing at the other day we had dinner."

 

She remember the other day when she saw Yonghwa at the rest room and quickly runaway home without telling Lay after that. It wasn't her intention to be unpolite, but she was just a crying mess at the time.

 

"Come on.."

 

She shook her head try to hold the urge to saw the sunshine and breathe some fresh air outside. "Mmm.."

 

"An hour?" He pleaded. "Pleasee.."

 

Seohyun sighed and finally agree. "Okay.. I have something to discuss with you anyway."

 

 

"Have you eaten?" He asked. She nodded her head.

 

Lay brought her to the jewelery store and she can guess what he is up to. She stops in her track before they enter the store. Lay turns to her, confuse but quickly wants to drag her to the store which she refused.

 

Hesitate for a bit she wanted to explain everything to him. About her. And Yonghwa.

 

"Lay-ssi.."

 

"Please drop formality between us, Joohyun." Lay chuckled. "We are engage anyway. Come one we should get you an engagement ring."

 

"There's something I need to tell you, Lay-ssi.."

 

"Just Lay, please. Can we talk whatever you want to say later?" He cutted again.

 

"No, Lay. I need you to hear me."

 

Lay frowned and stare at her, finally realize how this things matter to her. "I'm all ears."

 

"I can't marry you." She observes his face to search some reaction but she find none so she continue. "I'm sorry, I know you say you fall in love with me, but I can't accept your love."

 

"Why?" He crosses his hand in front of his chest and in the moment she felt like a kid getting scolded by admitting her fault.

 

"I'm in love with someone else.." He was still silent so she continues. "Let's break off the engagement."

 

The silence eats her guts, she tried so hard to stand still even what they were talking is pretty ironic. Breaking off an engagement in front of the jewelry store where people bought their wedding ring. She might regret this later but she can't let things dragged for too long. It was already complicated even without it.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter