Chapter2

Death Date: 11-18-1914

[Jaehee]

 

I snapped from my sleep when the bell suddenly rang. Finally. It signified the end of an hour of pure drowsiness. Philosophy class is definitely at the bottom of my favorite subjects list. Definitely not my style. I always end up sleeping in the middle of class. It had been two weeks since class started but I'm still not feeling school yet. Its like I left my mind and soul somewhere far away during school break.

 

"Hey, sleepyhead! Prof. Lee had been giving you glares the whole period. I wouldnt be surprised if you're already on his "to-fail-students book." 

 

It is quite known in the whole university that Prof. Lee keeps a list of students he'd definitely keep a judging eye on. I really wouldn't mind being on that list though. Last year, during my freshmen year, I've been through hell with my teachers but I still passed. Well, not to brag, but I'm good at studying.

 

"Are you even listening to me? Or have you finally mastered the art of sleeping with your eyes open?" Wendy asked, waving her hands in front of my face. 

 

I blinked my eyes innocently to the girl beside me. "What are you talking about? I wasn't sleeping. I only closed my eyes but I was listening to his discussion," I explained. Of course I lied, but my excuse was pretty believable. 

 

"Do you know Socrates?" Wendy asked.

 

I gave her a confused look. That name just sounded so familiar.

 

"Who is that guy? He doesn't sound Korean. Is he your boyfriend? A foreign boyfriend?" Wendy is half american herself so it is definitely not impossible for her to have a foreign boyfriend.

 

"Yeah right, you were definitely listening. I could tell," Wendy said, waving her hands in the air dismissively. Is it just me, or was there really a hint of sarcasm in her voice? 

 

I shrugged. "Told you, I wasn't sleeping," I added as I fixed my things back to my bag and followed Wendy to our next class. 

 

Another thing that I hated to deal with in college is the crowded hallways. All other students were rushing to their next classes like mad. Well, our school is pretty big so I couldnt blame them. Lucky me, my classes weren't that far away from each other. 

 

"What club are you joining this semester?" 

 

I shrugged. "I really don't have a clue."

 

Wendy chuckled. "You're always like that. So undecided. Why don't you just join the Historians club. It is pretty fun." She had been on that club since we were first year and I totally admire her for that. 

 

"You know me, I'd end up sleeping."

 

She laughed. "I bet you would. But you better hurry and sign up, or else you'd end up in the Sanitation club," she reminded.

 

All students in the university were required to join a club every semester and those who still havent joined a club before the deadline for registration would automatically be in sanitation club. For the past year, I was in the arts club but during that period, I realized how arts is just not meant for me. 

 

I really should join a club before deadline. I suddenly stopped on my tracks. The deadline for club registrations is tomorrow. Oh, what pure luck. Just one day left.

 

Wendy looked back to me when she realized she had been talking to nobody. "Hey, Park Jaehee! Were you even listening to me? I've been telling yo--" 

 

"I'm dead. I don't wanna be in Sanitation club," I cried,  frustrated on why I don't have any personal talent. 

 

---

 

It was already late in the evening when I went out of the school library for my research paper. Our university has a dorm for us, students. However, the dorm is a 10-minute bus ride since the old dorm which was situated in the main campus is now used as additional rooms for business students. 

 

The night sky looked so beautiful. I shivered as the cold wind blew against my skin. It felt so refreshing. 

 

I looked at my watch and realized how late it was, 11:00 pm. The next bus will probably arrive in 30 minutes, might as well walk.

 

The whole walk took 20 minutes but it felt like an hour.

 

I could feel it.

 

Somebody was following me.

 

Since it was already late, there were barely people walking on the streets. I kinda regretted walking. 

 

I was passing by the male's dorm when suddenly, somebody sneezed. 

 

That's it. I ran for my life.