Chapter6

Death Date: 11-18-1914

[Jongin

 

I sighed. "Alright, the truth is, I actually like you. I wanted to confess to you that time so I dragged you out there. The accident was purely a coincidence."

 

Her eyes widened so much that I wondered if I shouldn't have said that. Of course, I lied. I just can't tell her I see death dates. She'll probably freak out and my secret won't stay as a secret anymore. I wouldn't want that.

 

"Don't lie to me," she said. She pushed me away and looked out the window. "Don't lie to me, really. I know its more than just that." She faced me back, the look on her face told me she was dead serious.

 

She looked beautiful as the wind blew by the window. Oof, what? I've been thinking weirdly lately.

 

"What are you, really?" 

 

I sighed. "I should be the one asking you that. What are you?"

 

This time, she looked confused. With her brows scrunched, she asked, "What do you mean?"

 

I approached her and held her shoulders, "August 18, 1914. Where were you that time? By any chance, were you already alive?"

 

"What are you talking about?! I'm born in 1994!" She pushed me away and hurriedly went out of the office. "You're really weird!" I heard her say before she went out.

 

Ah, so she was born on the same year as me. Then that just made her death date completely absurd. I actually thought she was some kind of a zombie.

 

After a few minutes of spending my time staring at the empty space, I decided to just go back to the dorms. I stopped by in front of the mirror hung on top of one of the bookshelves. 

 

Tsk, why am I even bothering myslef about other people's death date when I don't even know mine.

 

---

 

[Jaehee]

 

I was so deep into my thoughts as I walked out of the university. I don't know why but I've been thinking about Jongin almost all the time. 

 

As I neared the bus stop, I heard someone call out my name. It was Wendy. She waved cheerfully at me and motioned me to hurry. 

 

"Oh, you're still here yet? And this is?" I asked as I looked at the guy with her. 

 

She faced him and said, "This is Jaehee, Jaehee, this is Jongdae. I met him today at the Historians club, he's also staying at the uni's dorm."

 

I gave out a smile in exchange for his large grin. His smile was so wide, I thought I could see all his teeth. "Nice to meet you, Jongdae."

 

"How was the club meeting? Having fun?" Wendy teased.

 

"Yeah, it was fun. You should join," I answered her sarcastically. 

 

Finally, the bus came. All three of us sat together. The two of them were just so noisy. They kept talking about everything they knew about history, myths and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if Wendy will someday tell me he likes this guy. She easily falls for guys with the same likes as hers. 

 

"Ah! I also heard this interesting story from my grandma." Jongdae's eyes twinkled as he looked at us with excitement.

 

The twinkle in Wendy's eyes were no joke as well. "Tell us about it!"

 

Jongdae's face immediately changed into a serious one as he started with his story, "When the Japanese came to our country. One neighborhood was completely hidden. They weren't even harmed." 

 

Wendy gasped, "Really? How?"

 

"They said it was because they were protected by a mountain ghost. The Japanese didn't even know that little neighborhood existed because of the large mountain hiding it from the city," he stopped briefly to breath, "In exchange for that protection, young girls were offered."

 

"What? That's sick," Wendy cried.

 

Jongdae nodded. "The mountain ghost chose the offering himself. The poor selected girls just woke up with marks somewhere down their collarbones and they couldn't do anything against it or else the whole neighborhood will suffer." 

 

I was getting interested myself with the story but it seemed like it was the end of his story since Jongdae started relaxing on his seat again. "That's it?" I asked.

 

He nodded. Short story.

 

"Oh, then I have a question. Is there some myth or stories about a person who could sense death?" I asked. Maybe he knew anything about that kind of thing too. He just looked like he knew everything; I can't help but ask. 

 

He thought for a while before his eyes lit up like it always did every time he had something to say. "I don't have any story àbout that, but my grandma knew someone who could see death dates," he whispered, keeping his voice as low as possible. "Shh, don't tell anyone about that okay?" 

 

I heard Wendy gasp but only one thing was running on my mind that time. 

 

Kim Jongin, that guy, can he see death dates?