Chapter 9

Death Date: 11-18-1914

[Jongin]

 

"Jaehee-ssi, are you alright?" I asked her as I held her arms tightly. She looked pale all of a sudden. 

 

She breathed in as she gathered herself together, "I'm fine." She forced a smile as she noticed me looking at her worriedly."My head just hurt a bit."

 

I tapped her shoulder, maybe it could help her feel even just a little bit better. I can see her feeling a little better as she started to gain back the color in her face. At that time, she looked so vulnerable that I wanted to protect her from whatever was bothering her. 

 

"If it could make you feel better, I could lend you my shoulder for a while," I told her as I sat nearer her so she could lean on me more comfortably.

 

Without saying a word, she leaned her head on my shoulder. I noticed her holding back quite a bit, I could barely feel any weight on my shoulder. "You can lean comfortably. Do you think my shoulders can't support the whole weight of your head?" I teased.

 

I heard her chuckle before she muttered a soft, "thanks."

 

We stayed like that as the night slowly approached. The stars filled the night sky and it was so beautiful. 

 

"Jongin-ssi, why can you see death dates?" she asked, breaking the silence.

 

I let out a sigh. Getting this kind of question was a first for me. All these years, I kept it a secret, and now I'm talking about it with someone I recently met. It felt new.

 

"Honestly, I don't know it myself. Ever since I was a kid, I could see it clearly. Back then, I thought everybody else could see it as well," I paused as I reminisce how innocent I was as a kid.

 

She lifted up her head from my shoulder and looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to continue. I don't even know why I'm answering but maybe all this time, I just wanted to have someone I could share everything to.  

 

"I realized they were actually death dates when my grandma died."

 

"Then, why can't you just save everybody?"

 

"My mother's death date was only a few months after my grandma's. I was so scared then so I tried to save her. That was also when I realized, it's impossible to escape death."

 

She looked down, "Then what about me? My death date is way past time."

 

I looked at her, she was trying to look composed but I can see her bothered by it. I sighed. "Its getting dark. I'll walk you to your dorm, let's go."

 

----------

 

[Jaehee]

 

As I entered our room, Wendy was already there. She was seated in front of her laptop with a pack of fish crackers on her lap. "Oh, you're here. I thought you didn't have class anymore tonight. Why are you home just now?" She looked up to check what time it was, "Its already way past 8, where have you been? Have you finally found yourself a boyfriend?" she excitedly asked.

 

I snorted, "Boyfriend? Tsk, he's not my boyfriend."

 

She gasped as she gave me a weird look as if I just got caught committing a crime. "Ah, so you  really were with a guy? Heol. Who? Do I know him?"

 

"W-what? J-just a friend of mine. You don't need to know who." I wanted to slap myself for stuttering. 

 

She chortled. "Uh-huh, stop being so defensive."

 

I rolled my eyes. I decided to just ignore her  teasing as I made my way to my bed. "Ah right, that friend you had at your club, can you contact him for me?" I asked. I need to ask him something.

 

"Hmm, are you talking about Chen?" she asked. I noticed her flushing into bright red. I knew it. She likes him. "W-what do y-you need from him?" Oh, she's even stuttering. This friend is really so easy to read.

 

"I just have something to ask him," I explained.

 

---------------

 

"Good morning, Jaehee-ssi. I heard from Wendy that you have something to ask," Chen asked as he sat sat on the seat across mine. I asked Wendy to have contact him last night so we could meet today. Since he was so busy, we decided to just meet at the cafe outside the university first thing in the morning. 

 

I smiled. "Since we're both in a hurry, I'll go straight to the point." He nodded. "You once mentioned that your grandma knew someone who could see death dates, right? Is there any way to cantact that person?" 

 

He looked taken aback for a moment before he let out a cough. "D-did I really tell you that?"

 

"Please? I really need to meet him," I begged him. "Please help me. Just this time, Chen-ssi."

 

"But, why do you need to meet him?"

 

"I-I want to know my death date."

 

_______________________________________________

 

[A/N] In case you're interested, I also made a trailer. Its in the foreword. Heehee :3

Anyways, thanks for reading. *virtual hug*