Chapter7

Death Date: 11-18-1914

[Jaehee]

 

I sighed for the nth time as I stared at my laptop. My research paper is due next month and so far, my day is far from productive. I kept thinking of things to write but nothing really comes to my mind. Nothing, except Kim Jongin.

 

"Hey, don't stress yourself. If nothing comes out your mind, then don't push it," Wendy said as she came out of the bathroom, drying her hair with her blue towel. She was also on her favorite blue pajamas. Her love for blue is really intense. She even had the tips of her hair dyed blue last semestral break.

 

I sighed again. "You know what, you're right."

 

She playfully rolled her eyes. "I'm always right." 

 

"Whatever. I'll go have a walk outside."

 

"Want me to come with you?"

 

I contemplated for seconds before answering, "No, it's fine. I'll just go by myself. I know you have loads of homework to do." I wanted to have some fresh air and maybe grab something to eat.

 

She nodded, "Alright, call me if you change your mind."

 

---

 

 Ah, nothing really beats tteokbokki this cold night. 

 

As I looked at the couples walking all around the streets, hand in hand, I can't help but feel lonely. I can't help but wonder if I'll ever meet a good man. 

 

I took a bite from my tteokbokki to make myself feel better. At least, at times like this, I still have food. 

 

I was supposed to buy ramen but the smell of tteokbokki was so tempting. It was a small store that opens only at night and many people come by to eat too. 

 

"One of this please, and this one too."

 

I looked up to see who was ordering because the voice sounded familiar. It was him. He was wearing a red jacket and striped shorts. Before I could even look away, he caught me. I mean, I was sitting by the counter, so yeah.

 

"Uh, hi?" I shyly greeted. I don't know but I suddenly felt conscious seeing him here. 

 

He nodded back. He didn't even smile back. What was that? Is he angry I called him weird earlier at school?

 

He took a seat across mine but he completely ignored me. My tteokbokki suddenly tasted bland. Tsk. I looked at him as he ate his food. He looked like he was filming a commercial. 

 

Yeah, he's handsome, but hey, he just ignored me so I'm just gonna ignore him too. I hurriedly ate my food so I could leave and go back to the dorm when suddenly the two drunk guys at the other corner started yelling at each other.

 

"YOU'RE A BASTARD! HURRY AND PAY YOUR DEBT!" 

 

"HEY, I PAID FOR THE FOOD. YOU PAY THAT TOO!" the other man yelled, kicking the table so hard that it broke and spilled all the food on the floor. 

 

I looked for Jongin but he wasn't on his chair anymore. "Hurry, hide!" I was so surprised that I almost smacked him on the face.

 

"Ah, you surprise--,” I was about to scold him but he covered my mouth and pulled me down on the floor. We hid under the table, our faces so near to each other. I was about to say something again but he just shushed me and held me closer. Oh, why is my heart beating so fast. I think I'm sick. 

 

The next thing we heard were gunshots and screams. It was completely terrifying but somehow I felt safe, like his being in his arms is where I belong. 

 

I nervously looked at him, he was looking at me too. Then I realized. Kim Jongin knew this. He knew something was going to happen.

 

"You, you knew this was going to happen right?" I asked him, my voice still trembling from the shock.

 

He didn't respond. Instead, he grabbed my hands and started running out of the shop. I was about to look at what happened but Jongin covered my eyes and said, "Don't look. It isn't quite a good sight."

 

Apparently, one of the drunk men shot the other and killed himself as well afterwards. Jongin didn't want me to witness that so as soon as the shop was out of sight, we stopped running.

 

"If this happened only once, it could pass as a coincidence. But this is already the second time, something's fishy," I told him, facing him so I could look into his eyes.

 

He looked troubled. He looked around. There were many people, the police car's siren was also filling the streets.

 

"Jongin?"

 

He pulled me towards an alley were there weren't many people around. "Jaehee, I'll tell you the truth but promise me you won't tell people about it."

 

I nodded.

 

"I can see death dates."

 

I can't help but gasp. I thought of it as a possibility but hearing it from him, I still can't help but feel shocked. 

 

"Those two men, today is their death dates. Don't worry, other people there won't die today," he further explained. 

 

"T-then, why did you let me hide under the table? And also there at the bus, why did you drag me out? Am I supposed to be dead? When is my death date?" I can't help it. The questions just kept coming out. 

 

"I saved you since I felt like it was the right thing to do. And yes, you're supposed to be dead. A hundred years ago actually."

 

I almost choked on my imaginary food. But kidding aside, what he said was more of a shock to me. I froze on where I was standing. I didn't know what to say or how to react. Should I cry or should I laugh like he was telling me a joke. "Y-you're joking, r-right?" I could barely speak.

 

"I'm not."

 

-------

Wooh~ hi guys. :D

I don't know what to say. I just wanted to greet you guys. :D