Support

Hiding Myself From YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

That day, Mrs. Park observed that her husband was behaving unusual, like he was bothered by something. He was quiet the whole time at home; usually, he’d play with Chaekyung after he gets back from his work.

 

But that day he did nothing but to sit on the same place and stare blankly, as if some deep thoughts were in his mind. And when she tried to ask him, a 'nothing' was all he answered her, but she knew better – when he says that it was nothing, there was always something.

 

Late at night, she got the answers for her questions. As Mrs. Park returned to the room she shared with her husband after tucking Chaekyung into her bed, she saw how her husband was caressing the photo frame placed on their night table – it was Chaerin’s photo. “If you miss her that much, why don’t you give her a call?”

 

“Huh?” Mr. Park quickly placed that frame on its original place, and he behaved like he was doing nothing, acting indifferent about what Mrs. Park asked him. Mrs. Park stifled her laugh looking at her husband who sure behaved like kid sometimes.

 

“I said, if you miss Chaerin, then call her. I’ll be glad to talk to her too,” she repeated.

 

“Who said I mi–miss her? You’re talking nonsense,” he scoffed, slapping the air with his hands, a little too exaggerated though. Mrs. Park shook her head as she sat beside her husband. Taking her cell phone from the beside table, she gasped softly as she looked at its screen, “Chaerin messaged...” As soon as she spilled out those words, her phone was snatched away.

 

“Let me see first,” Mr. Park said, searching for the message sent from their daughter, but there was nothing. He turned to look at his wife, who had both hands on to control the laughter emitting from her parted lips. “You did not just…” Mr. Park said in threatening voice, but there was a sheepish and embarrassing smile on his face.

 

“I've caught you red-handed, so no need to hide from me now,” Mrs. Park pointed a finger at him as she pressed the ‘call’ button of her phone. Two rings, three rings, four rings... but the call was left unanswered, making them worried sick over their daughter. “Call her again,” Mr. Park said with urgency in his voice. Mrs. Park nodded and dialed Chaerin’s number again.

 

This time, the call was answered in two rings, but only the sound of heavy breathing greeted them. With tightened heart, Mrs. Park called out for her daughter, “Chae–Chaerin-ah, are you there, honey?” After a long pause, they heard sniffling and their daughter’s whimper, “Omma… I-I want to come back... I can’t live here, no more...” And they heard her sobbing hard.

 

The Park couple felt so helpless for not being able to by their daughter’s side when she needed them most. “Rin-ah, listen to appa, hmm? It’s going to be all right, okay?” Mr. Park tried to console her from other line. “But first, please stop crying, huh? Please... For your sister?” he pleaded with her, and indeed, the father knew his daughter's weak point very well.

 

As soon as they felt that the breathing from the other side got normal, they started to ask her what happened that made her want to leave and come back home all of sudden, because whenever Mr. Park talked to his sister – Mrs. Nam – she’d tell him how happy Chaerin was there. So, who was lying exactly?

 

They listened patiently as Chaerin narrated the whole incident, and after getting to know the actual situation, Mr. Park understood his daughter’s condition. Chaerin was fragile; she easily gets scared of little things and after that day, she has been just like a glass doll - as if she would break because of a mere touch.

 

“Rin-ah, now listen to your father carefully, okay?” He didn’t need to see to know that she'd nod at his every sentence, because he knew his daughter very well - she has a habit to respond his every by a polite nod – or what’s over.

 

“You’ve done very good job till now, by residing with your Aunt – alone, away from us. And tell us truthfully, do you find any difficulty living with them?” he asked in very calmed voice. He heard an indistinct movements from other side making him chuckle at his daughter’s naïve nature, “Rain-ah, speak with your mouth. Remember, I’m not in front of you? And how we’re talking over phone?” he mused.

 

“Sorry appa, and no, I don’t,” she breathed out, feeling better after talking with her father. She had almost got a knife to self-hurt herself like her sister once did, but the same time, her phone rang – preventing her form whatever she was about to do.

 

She felt like a selfish monster at that moment, because never once had her parents and her sister or the family she was now living with crossed her mind. She felt so terrible to know how much of coward she has became over time. “I’m sorry... appa,” Chaerin choked out those words all of sudden.

 

“Why are you sorry, honey? You didn’t do anything wrong, okay? Keep that in my mind,” Mr Park swallowed the lump forming in his throat as he encouraged his daughter to stay strong. “You know, there’s a saying that you may be the reason why all doors seem to be closed right now, so that you will open one which leads you to the perfect road. Do you understand what I’m trying to say?”

 

A soft ‘huh’ from the other line made him realize that his daughter was confused over his speech of wisdom. The old man shook his head, chuckling, “It means, keep your hopes up, Chaerin-ah. What would your sister think if she knows that you're sulking at a corner every time?”

 

At the mention of her sister, a tear rolled down her cheek, followed by some more. “I tried... appa, I… I tried very hard, b-but it just won’t happen the way I want.” She flinched as she felt a touch on her shoulder. Chaerin tilted her head to see Jung standing there, smiling softly at her.

 

Even though Jung was smiling, her eyes were saying otherwise. Jung knew that she’d never understand Chaerin’s pain. And she never wants to go through the same pain the young girl had gone. It was very heartbreaking and burdensome.

 

“Put your heart in it, and then see the results. You just give your mind and body to that thing, but from your heart – you never wanted to one of them again, do you?” he was talking about the failed treatments of her.

 

That psychological treatment helped her to drown out of that incident, but not with her social relations. She remained aloof – never talking to anyone and nor once did anyone tried to talk to her.

 

“I will talk to your aunt Minah. I want you to start treatment again, and do it wholeheartedly, okay? Don’t you want your sister to feel proud of you?” She nodded her hastily, although she knew that her dad couldn't see her. Wiping her tear with the back of her hand, Chaerin realized how much of a mess she must have looked like.

 

“You're always my good girl, okay? Cha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter