Chapter 7

Burn all the Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Falling into a certain routine can be the most frustrating thing for some people, for others it can be the most relieving thing in the world. For the former kind, regularity is boring...they seek adventure, something that can rescue them monotony of everyday life. For the latter, it brings relaxation and space to breathe. It was better to know what was coming next.

Sunjung belonged to the second group of people. There was a certain peacefulness about waking up in the morning and knowing where she was heading and what she was going to do.
When she walked into her office building that morning, she was in a good mood. She was finally settling in, even with her lodging situation being not being what she had wished for.

She nodded in greeting to a few people that she recognised and hastily made it to the elevator. She waited patiently for the elevator with her bag clasped in her hands until she felt a presence beside her. She looked at the towering man standing beside her and greeted with an awkward nod of the head and a ‘good morning’.

He greeted back, his face stoic. But as soon as they entered the elevator, he cleared his throat.  “Sunjung-ssi.”

His deep voice made Sunjung look up from her corner of the elevator.

“Yes?”

“It is good that I met you here,” he scratched the back of his neck, “You need to be in my office now.”

“Yes, sir,” Sunjung nodded, quickly hiding her curiosity.

“You need not be so formal, just Yifan is fine.”

“I’m not used to it,” the brown haired woman shook her head and started fiddling with a button on her coat.

Yifan just let out a small ‘hmm’ in response just as the elevator doors opened. They both stepped out and Sunjung followed him as he led her to his office.

The pair entered the office and Sunjung took in the familiar surrounding as Yifan motioned for her to sit.

“There’s someone I’d like you to meet.”
The tall man looked at her with a straight face. Sunjung nodded response.
“Have you heard about that online blog?”

Sunjung hesitated, “Which one?”

The man cleared his throat, “...Lay’s Lair?”

Sunjung furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Yes she had heard of it but what did that have to do with anything? She remembered hearing girls in college talk about a blog that gave the best advice on ‘everything’. The anonymous adviser, Lay, was amazing and became popular in no time. But that wasn’t relevant now, was it?

“Well Lay is publishing a book and...You’re getting your first official book.”

The woman almost choked on her own saliva. She was being given a job to edit a non-fiction...weird advice book thing? She certainly did not know how to feel. She bit the inside of her cheek. A part of that knew she deserved better.

But JFC Publishing was a diverse publishing house and she was just beginning. She had started loving the job of editing the moment she had joined the editorial board of her high school magazine. Non-fiction required more work and she was up for it. Not that she had a say in it.

“That’s great, I guess.”

A silence that seemed too long followed but was thankfully broken by the ringing of the phone on the boss’ desk. The conver

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter