Chapter 22

Burn all the Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His grip on the glass loosened as he placed it on the table. A satisfied smile made its way onto his face. “This feels good, huh?”

“Yeah,” Minseok nodded, “I was getting kind of tired spending all my time behind a counter.”

“I can relate,” Lu Han said with an exaggerated sigh, “doing the same things again and again can get boring.”

The two men were seated at a table in a bar in Hongdae. Minseok had insisted that he did not want to spend one more evening in the café. Business was steady which meant that as co-owner and manager, Minseok basically lived in his café.

“Joonmyun’s late,” Minseok stated offhandedly as he looked towards the entrance for their friend. It had been Joonmyun who had wanted to ‘meet up’.

“He’ll come,” Lu Han said, taking a sip of the alcoholic drink.

Soon enough, Kim Joonmyun came rushing into the bar like a prey flying from its predator. Eyes wide, he flung himself onto a chair beside Lu Han. The older two shared looks of confusion while Joonmyun just looked at them while taking deep breaths as if expecting to communicate with them through his wide-eyed stares.

“What happened?” Lu Han finally asked, trying not to laugh at how scared his younger friend looked.

Joonmyun’s shoulders sagged as he tried to relax. He brushed his hair out of his eyes and spoke, “Miyoung…she…”

“Found out?” Minseok finished for Joonmyun, who already looked like he was starting to hyperventilate again.

Joonmyun nodded, averted his eyes from Minseok’s and proceeded to stare at the table.

“It was bound to happen,” Lu Han just shrugged, “she isn’t dumb.”

“Cheating on your girlfriend of three years,” Minseok’s voice held no humour, “now that’s dumb.”

Silence reigned for a while as the three men said nothing. Joonmyun continued to stare at the table with a frown etched on his face while the other two exchanged looks. They didn’t know what kind of advice was to be given when their friend was obviously in the wrong and they had unknowingly encouraged him.

In a sudden movement, Joonmyun beckoned a waiter over and still wide-eyed, ordered a bottle of Andong soju.

“We’re doing shots now?” Lu Han enquired, his voice was a mask of disapproval but his eyes had a hint of mischief.

“I guess.”
Minseok raised his eyebrows.

Joonmyun had gone back to staring at the shiny black surface of the table.
“What do I do?”

“I just don’t understand why you were still with her when didn’t even like her anymore,” Lu Han said after his first shot of soju.

“You’ve met her! You think she’d let me go?”
Joonmyun had had a couple more shots than Lu Han.

A small laugh left Minseok’s lips, “You think she’ll let you live now? It wasn’t even just one girl...”

Kim Joonmyun was a perfect gentleman. He was well-educated and now ran the Seoul branch of his father’s company. He was everything a mother would ask for her daughter’s husband to be. He was chivalrous, polite and always knew how to treat the ladies right.
But as it turned out, the only lady he couldn’t bring himself to treat right was his girlfriend.
He didn’t remember when exactly he had started to fall out of love with the girl he’d met on his first day of college. He didn’t know when being courteous to other girls had turned into flirtatious gestures, which had in turn become illicit affairs.

The more alcohol he consumed though, the clearer everything became.
He felt free; he didn’t care.

More than a few shots later, Joonmyun and Minseok were both dark shades of pink while Lu Han was the only one who one could call sober (comparatively).

The three men lazily walked out of the bar and stood on the sidewalk for a while.
Lu Han took a deep breath, welcoming the cold breeze.
“You both need to hail cabs,” he said, looking up at the sky.

“I know!” Minseok responded sounding unnecessarily excited about a cab ride.
Lu Han thought that in that moment, he looked more like a dumpling than ever.

“Speaking of,” Joonmyun spoke, completely unaware of what the other two were speaking of, “How’s Jungie?”

Lu Han grimaced slightly at the awfully cheesy nickname. His voice was distant when he answered, “Sunjung? She’s—”

“Lu Han likes her,” Minseok chimed in before his friend could finish what he was saying.

“Really, hyung?” Joonmyun’s eyes were wide again, like he’d heard of nothing that was better than the fact that said hyung like his childhood friend.

Feeling his chest tighten for some unknown reason, Lu Han ran his hand roughly through his hair, ready to protest but Minseok didn’t let him speak.

“Yeah! He likes her like you like Miyoung.”

There was a short moment of silence before Joonmyun broke it.
“I used to like Miyoung.”

“You sure did.”

Deciding that the conversation was getting too annoying and loud for his liking, Lu Han urgently hailed a vacant cab that was driving by and pushed both his friends in.
The two sat back in the backseat with ecstatic smiles on thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter