Chapter 38

Burn all the Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been almost a day since Lu Han had received the vague text from Sunjung.
She hadn’t contacted him since.
She hadn’t even specified what kind of emergency it was. If she had, maybe he could have helped. What was it that she couldn’t even tell him?

Lu Han was starting to wonder if she even trusted him at all.

Setting the now empty glass on the island counter in the kitchen, he turned to leave. He dragged himself to the living room and looked around. It was dark outside but he couldn’t even find the energy to switch on the lights. Almost painfully slow, he made his way to the door to Sunjung’s room. It had become so natural to enter her room as of late; but as he stood in front of the wooden door now, he felt like it would be a breach of her privacy if he entered.

Seo Sunjung was an extremely private person, he knew.
He had thought he had made it into her small private circle. For some time, he knew he had.
He was now beginning to question that.

Lu Han placed his hand on the door knob.
It felt really cold.
Taking in a deep breath, he decided she wouldn’t mind. He opened the door and her scent hit him like a strong ocean breeze.
He had no idea where she was.
And he missed her.

Looking around in the darkness of the room, Lu Han couldn’t help but wonder if Sunjung had kept him in the dark too. She had been acting strangely. It was as if she was begging him to pay attention but closing him off completely when he did.

All of a sudden, he reached into the pocket of his sweatpants. He took out his phone and unlocked it, checking to see if she had tried to contact him. He was disappointed when he saw nothing from her.
He bit his bottom lip a bit too hard, he could taste his own blood.
With a sigh he stepped back and closed the door.

Maybe he was worrying a bit too much. Maybe she was just caught up in the emergency. Maybe she had had to travel to Incheon.
Maybe he knew her as well as he thought he did.

***

The office was still buzzing with stories from Baekhyun’s New Year’s Eve party: how the boss showed up at almost midnight with his stunning wife, how Solji had gotten too drunk to handle and d the handsome young bartender and also about how Baekhyun and Sunmi were seen sneaking out of the club much earlier than midnight.

A certain Managing Director did not participate.

Lu Han wasn’t in a good mood and he didn’t even try to hide it. It was a glaring contrast to his usual attitude. No one in the workplace had anything but good things to say about Lu Han.
And even when he did get miffed, he usually vented to Baekhyun (who always took it like a champion).
But it looked like the new year had changed him.
He was more irritable, giving one word answers every time someone asked him about how he spent New Year’s Day.
Something was wrong but no one dared ask him…except Baekhyun.

The younger man barged into the Managing Director’s office.
“What’s wrong?” he asked, without waiting from acknowledgement from the other man.

Lu Han looked from his computer, his face showing little emotion.
“What makes you think there’s anything wrong, Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, “I’ve known you for long enough to know when you’re upset.”

“I’m not upset,” Lu Han stated as he stood up and went to the large windows to look down at the streets of Seoul. “Are you on your break or something?”

“I’m not. And I’ll waste my work hours till you tell me what’s wrong. Did something happen at the party? Look, I’m sorry for inviting you and leaving early but Sunmi…and…anyways, did something happen with Sunjung-ssi?”
Seeing his friend stiffen, Baekhyun knew he had guessed correctly.
“What happened with her?” he asked, trying to not sound intrusive.

“I…I don’t know where she is.”

Baekhyun stilled, looking dumbfounded. That wasn’t what he had expected.
“Wh-what do you mean? She disappeared? Did you guys fight or something?”

Lu Han shook his head.
“Someone called me over and she said she had to use the bathroom, and then sometime later I got a text saying that she was leaving because of a family emergency. Now I don’t know if she went to Incheon or…I just don’t know anything.”

The room was silent for a while.
Moments later, there was a knock on the glass doors. Both men looked up to see Sunmi letting herself.

“I’d like to know what’s wrong,” she demanded as she crossed her arms.
When Lu Han didn’t say anything, she stepped forward and nudged Baekhyun.

Baekhyun looked hesitant as he spoke, “Uh...uh…hyung doesn’t know where Sunjung-ssi is.”

Sunmi looked as dumbfounded as Baekhyun had a while ago.
“What do you mean you don’t know? You guys had a fight?”

Again, Lu Han shook his head.
“Apparently, it’s a family emergency but I haven’t been able to contact her. I get it that it might be strictly family business but I thought…”

“You’re worried,” Sunmi stated.

“Of course I am! She could at least tell me what the problem is. I could help…and even if I couldn’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter