Chapter 33

Burn all the Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The entire city was layered in snow on Christmas Eve, but that didn’t stop the numerous people from roaming the streets of Seoul.
Some of them were on their way to church, some were out on dates with their significant others and others were just enjoying the festive cheer that Christmas brought with it.

Kim Joonmyun stepped out of his posh apartment building and shivered as the cold winter night threatened to swallow him up. He tightened the muffler around his neck and then shoved his hands in the pockets of his long overcoat.
He stood there for a long moment.
It was the first time in years that he had had to spend Christmas alone. Usually, Minyoung forced him to buy a tree. It didn’t matter if it was artificial; she just wanted a tree to decorate.
This year, his apartment was barren, no signs of festivities. He hadn’t even been to church, he hadn’t felt like it.
For the first time in almost a year, he was content.

A small smile adorned Joonmyun’s face but it was tinged with just a tiny bit of regret.
He hadn’t known his happiness would come at the cost of a severed relationship.
He had never thought he’d be so incapable of handling a relationship with a woman who was incredible. A woman he’d probably have friends with for life had it not been for his stupidity.
He sighed heavily, his breath leaving his mouth in a big puff of vapour.
He had little regrets.

Slowly, he started walking.
His destination was only a fifteen minute walk away.
His friends had invited him to dinner and he was running somewhat late, but it was fine.
They deserved some time to themselves, time to cherish what was only theirs.

A large smile made its way onto his face when he thought of the pair.
About three months ago, when he had convinced them to live together, he had not thought things would be the way they were now.
His hyung falling for his childhood friend had not even been a thought worth thinking back then, considering how they were behaving initially but he could only watch the turn of events in awe.

Lu Han’s eyes sparkled more than usual when he was looking at Sunjung.
Sunjung’s smile was brighter than usual when she smiled at Lu Han.

Oh how he prayed for them to stay like that forever.

Realising he had arrived at a crossing, Joonmyun jogged forward to cross the road before the light turned red again.

“Hyung?”

A deep voice that was suddenly beside him caused Joonmyun to turn to the source of it, slightly startled. But soon enough, recognition replace surprise as Joonmyun smiled up at the younger male.
“Junyoung-ah!” he greeted happily, nodding response to the young male’s bow.

“You’re going to Noona’s place too, right, hyung?”

“Yeah,” Joonmyun responded as they started walking, “no way am I missing a chance to eat Sunjung’s food.”

Beside him, Junyoung chuckled, “By some miracle, her cooking is really good. It isn’t as bad as our mother’s. Maybe she got it from Halmoeni, the one who’s still alive.”
Joonmyun chuckled, not knowing how to respond to Junyoung’s words. He had never spoken so openly to Joonmyun about his family before, but seeing that the kid was smiling and didn’t sound bitter assured Joonmyun that things were well.
“To be honest, hyung, I am kinda nervous.”

Again, Joonmyun looked at the boy in surprise. He was extra being talkative today.
“Why?” he asked, genuinely curious.

“I haven’t officially met Noona’s...um…boyfriend before and the times that I met him weren’t really…pleasant. I was rude to him. I did apologise but…I don’t know.”

“Don’t worry, kid. Lu Han hyung’s a good guy. I don’t think he’d hold anything against you.”

“Does he really love Noona?” Junyoung asked.

Joonmyun chuckled at the question. The kid’s concern for his sister was endearing.
“I can’t tell what going on in hyung’s head, Junyoungie. But from what I’ve seen he really does love your sister. You think I’d have approved if I didn’t think his feelings for her weren’t genuine. If you don’t believe me, see for yourself later.”

Junyoung nodded silently, hoping his sister had really found someone who’d cherish her this time.

***

Junyoung chuckled lowly as he watched his sister force her boyfriend to wear the hat that she’d bought him about a week ago.
Junyoung and Joonmyun had arrived over half an hour ago and although Junyoung had feared that things would be awkward, they weren’t.
Lu Han made sure to include him in every conversation and even defended him when Sunjung and Joonmyun started to .
Junyoung had decided that he liked his sister’s boyfriend.

“So you write your band’s songs?” Lu Han asked, looking very interested in what Junyoung had to say.
Junyoung could not deny the fact that the older man had a pleasant, welcoming aura about him.

“All four of us do some writing but mostly it’s Chanyeol and me,” Junyoung responded, shifting on the couch. “I don’t know if we’ll ever become big –probably not, but I hope I can make it as a composer.”

“I’m sure you will do well,” Lu Han said, his smile genuine.

“You used to sing in college, didn’t you, hyung?” Joonmyun asked innocently, as he leaned in to join the conversation.

The response to Joonmyun’s however, was a fierce look from Lu Han. But before he could protest, an awestruck voice spoke.
“You sing?” asked an ecstatic looking Sunjung, who had walked into the room just in time to hear Joonmyun’s comment.

The tips of Lu Han’s ears were turning red as he looked down at his socks-clad feet in embarrassment.
“Not really. I mean...who doesn’t sing?”

“You know I can’t,” Sunjung said as she sat on the armrest of the sofa on which Lu Han sat. He shifted slightly so she could be more comfortably seated. “I’ve always thought you have a pleasant voice though.”

Sunjung became quiet as soon as the words left . Blushing, she looked away from Lu Han and fixed her gaze on the vase in corner of the living room.
Lu Han too looked flustered and started twiddling his thumbs.

Joonmyun was quick to get rid of the sudden tension. He spoke in a teasing tone, “Ah. Should we leave?”
Lu Han’s ears now resembled slices of tomatoes.

“We should, shouldn’t we? We’re just two weird lonely guys who crashed dinner,” Junyoung said with a laugh; he high-fived Joonmyun, who looked extremely happy at his two friends’ embarrassment.

“You were the ones who wanted dinner to be tonight because you had plans tomorrow,” Sunjung said with a scoff while pointing in accusation at the two men.

“Speaking of, we should eat,” Lu Han said as he stood up. “I’m hungry.”

Sunjung too stood up, “I’ll set the table. It’ll be a short while.”

“I’ll help.”
Lu Han followed her into the kitchen.

As soon as the couple wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter