Chapter 12

Burn all the Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A small smile made its way to Lu Han’s lips as he read the text message he had just received. He was about to exit his office and didn’t quite notice that he was about to walk straight into his black haired colleague.

“Hyung?” Baekhyun exclaimed when he felt Lu Han’s body collide with his. “Why are you in such a hurry?”

“I’m not,” the doe eyed man mumbled, not looking up from his phone.

“Who are you texting?”

“No one.” Lu Han wondered why Baekhyun had suddenly become so interested in his small actions.

“Is it her?” Baekhyun’s smile was mischievous; he had learned how to push Lu Han’s buttons. It was extremely entertaining when the older man became over dramatic when he was defending himself and it was more fun to see him look more feminine when he was actually trying to react in a manly way.

“Who?” Lu Han raised his eyebrows as he pocketed his phone. He honestly didn’t know who Baekhyun was referring to.

“That girl,” Baekhyun nodded trying to wiggle smirk suggestively.

“I really don’t know who you’re talking about,” Lu Han diverted his gaze to an intern who was clumsily running off with a stack of paper in his arms. Lu Han wondered if the intern knew that he was headed in the wrong direction.

“That girl you were ogling during lunch that time,” Baekhyun said as he leaned in as if he was speaking of a secret. He could only grin when the man in front of him looked thoroughly startled.

“I wasn’t ogling!” Lu Han’s eyes widened as he shook his head, giving his colleague the satisfaction he was looking for.

“You’re so obvious, hyung,” Baekhyun gave a small chuckle as he patted Lu Han’s shoulder.

“Sometimes, Byun Baekhyun, you can be a smartass,” Lu Han seethed and stalked off. He didn’t want to give Baekhyun the satisfaction of knowing he had been right. He had been texting Sunjung but he hadn’t been ogling her that one time.

He hurried out of the office as he reached into his pocket for his phone to reply to text Sunjung had just sent, his daily goodbye wink to the receptionist long forgotten.

***

Gaeun observed the woman beside her as they stood in the elevator. Sunjung looked somewhat nervous, as if she wanted to be anywhere else but there with her in that moment. Sunjung was biting her lower lip and her hands clutched tightly at her bag.

“See you tomorrow,” Sunjung said as she tried to hurry out.

“I’m going out too,” Gaeun walked after her, “wait up.”
Gaeun did not know why Sunjung was being so awkward. She just followed her out of the building.
And when Sunjung suddenly stopped outside the large doors of the office building, Gaeun did the same.

Sunjung didn’t quite know how to react when she saw Lu Han standing there beside a car that she hadn’t seen before, waiting for her. Both women had halted, Sunjung looking at Lu Han in nervousness and Gaeun looking at Sunjung in curiosity.

“Lu Han?” Sunjung gave him a small smile, the initial shock wearing away. She was aware of her friend standing behind her but that seemed distant at that moment. All she saw was Lu Han standing there with an expecting look on his face.

Lu Han watched as Sunjung walked up to him and halted to stand in front of him. Suddenly it was awkward, neither of them knowing how to greet each other in public. Usually it was a ‘good morning’ or ‘I’m home’, but right then they did not know what they were to do.

It was Lu Han who spoke first with a soft ‘hey’.  He somewhat detested the fact that he sounded like a schoolboy greeting a teacher he had a crush on.

“Hi,” Sunjung said, her eyes focused on the ground. The silence resumed, the two of them apparently being the only people who were standing in the busy streets of Seoul.

Desperate to break the silence, Sunjung glanced back at her friend who she had abandoned a few moments ago. Gaeun just arched an eyebrow almost daring Sunjung to try and get away.
“Gaeun,” Sunjung waved her over, “this is Lu Han...my friend.”

Sometime during the weekend and the last few days, they had dropped formalities. They were simply friends. One was slightly reluctant, no doubt, but the other was ever so persistent. Lu Han spoke to her about random things: the idiots that were his colleagues, his love for football and his hatred of being considered ‘pretty’. Sunjung always gave him the appropriate responses; always nodded when she had to, smiled and laughed at his jokes but never shared her own stories. The relationship seemed almost one sided but Lu Han was alright with being the initiator.

But as they s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter