Closer little by little

Masquerade High School

The skies were clear and there was a slight breeze as the students were boarding their bus. Chisaki rushed to the bus Izumi was getting on. It didn't matter which bus you went on as long as it's the school's buses. She climbs into the bus and sees Izumi at the back glaring at the window alone. She slowly walks up to him and greets him with a smile and asks if she can sit next to him. He just gives her the usual plain stare and nods his head not even caring that she was sitting next to him. Trying to get his attention she pokes him at his side.

"Ow... What was that for?"

"That hurt? Hey lets hang out a little more hm, you seem lonely and sad every time I see you."

"No." Answering striaght out, he looks out to the window once more ignoring her.

Chisaki gives out a small sigh of disappointment and forgets about it since she's still going to bother him whether he likes it or not. During the ride back Izumi wouldn't answer any of Chisaki's questions, he just lays back and closes his eyes when he's not actually sleeping. Nothing to do Chisaki gives a deep stare at his face and pokes his cheeks to see if he was actually sleeping. His head turns to the other way and he shoved his hands into his jacket pockets. As the ride goes on Chisaki starts to feel tired. Her eyes wanted to shut down but she didn't want them to. She slaps her cheeks to wake her up but it was no use. 

 By the time she knows it she knocks out with out herself knowing. Her head then gently fall onto Izumi's shoulders. He peeks to see what the heavy weight was on his shoulders and there he sees Chisaki's sleeping face. Izumi then gently pushes her head away from his shoulders. The road became bumpy and her head came back to his shoulders. He gave a deep sigh and decided to wake her up. He poked her cheeks but she didn't seem to feel anything, starting to feel annoyed he whispered her name into her ear. She mumbles a bit but still doesn't wake up. After trying many things nothing worked so he gave up and let her sleep on his shoulders. 

 About an hour later Izumi dozed off as well. Misaki caught both of them sleeping and took a picture. He gave a small evil laugh, one day he will use it to embarrasse Izumi. The bus came to a rest stop and the students went off the bus to stretch out and use the restroom. Sakeo was looking around for Chisaki who was still sleeping in the other bus. After the rest the bus moved on. Both Chisaki and Izumi were still sleeping comfortably until a sharp turn came and made Chisaki wake up. She slowly opened her eyes and this time sees Izumi's sleeping face even though it wasn't the first time. Embarrassed of herself she doesn't look at Izumi's face at all through the whole ride.

The bus finally came to a stop back to the school. Chisaki looks at Izumi and shakes his shoulders to wake him up. He slowly opens his eyes and see Chisaki's face so close to his. He clears his throat and whispers, "You're too close."

"Hm?" She says.

"You're too close." He says a bit louder.

"Ah! Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay, move."

She moves away for him to leave the bus and she follows along. She walks along with him side by side into the school gates. "Hey, stop following me will you."

"Why?" She asks.

He clicks his tongue and lets her follow. They ended up walking to the west side of the school where barely anyone goes to. Izumi walks over to a tree and lies down closing his eyes while Chisaki sits next to him looking at the sky. It was so quiet not even knowing what to talk about. Chisaki was thinking about the last masquerade and it came to her mind.

"Hey, are you going to the next masquerade?" She asks him.

"Of course, I have to even though I don't want to. Why?" He says in a low toned tiring voice.

"Are you going with anyone?"

"No. Just me. Don't even ask me to go with you too."

"Ugh, how did you know?"

"It's written all over your face." He says with a small smile looking at her with one eye open.

Chisaki's face starts to burn up. She gets up and says goodbye to him then walks off. She makes her escape to the halls and thinks to herself, (Why does his smile seem so familiar?)

"Finally some peace and quite." Izumi says.


"Chisaki!!" Sakeo shouts from the other side of the hall.

"Sakeo?"

Sakeo comes running like the devil and grabs Chisaki.

"Where have you been?! Do you not know how worry I was?"

"Well....sorry."

"Idiot, don't give me sorry," she calms her voice "Anyways at least I found you. I was worried since I couldn't find you early."


It's already been a two months since the field trip to the beach, the next masqurade will be during the school's fall festival at he end of the month. The rest of the crew who were waiting outside by a tree eating lunch. As everyone was eating, Chisaki couldn't the idea that maybe Izumi was the man she was dancing with the last masquerade after seeing his smile. She denied that fact over and over. Her face seemed annoyed trying to figure things out.

"What's wrong Chisaki?" Suki and Yuki both ask.

"No, nothing. Just thinking about someone."

"Oh ho and who is that someone?" Sakeo asks with a erted smile. 

"The guy who I danced with at the last ball."

"Forget him, we couldn't find him even if we tried. Maybe you can find him at the next ball." Sakeo says.

 Chisaki lets out a small sigh and shoved a takoyaki in . From far away she sees Izumi enter the school and runs to him.

"Hey Chisaki, where are you going?!" Sakeo shouts to her and off Chisaki went not even answering her.

 

"Izumi!"

He turns around with an unwanted expression.

"What?"

"Come on, lets go hang out."

"Why do I have to hang out with you?" He asks and walks on but she grabs a hold of his backpack.

"Come on, you're always looking lonely. Lets go."

In the end he was dragged off by her even though he didn't want to go. Chisaki introduced him to everyone. Sakeo realized that Izumi was the one who gave Chisaki a peck on the cheek at the beach. She seemed pissed to be seeing Chisaki becoming friends with him. He gave her an uncomfortable stare. Chisaki offered him some food but he declined them.

"Why did you even drag me here? Your friends look at me like they don't like me." He whispers to her.

She ignores him and continues to talk on about other things unrelated to the masqurade.

 

"Isn't that Izumi over there?" Misaki asks the guys.

"Yeah, why?" Akihiko says.

"Why is he over there with them but not with us?!" Misaki says irritatedly.

"Lets go Misaki." Rin says smacking him on the head, "Looks like he's having fun with them."

 

Izumi sits there with his legs criss crossed with his hand under his chin listening to all kinds of stories Chisaki and her friends were telling.Throughout the stories there were times where he smiled but no one sees. One by one they left and then there was only Izumi and Chisaki. She hesitated asking him about the last masqurade.

"I guess I'll be leaving next then." Izumi says plainly.

"Huh? Oh. hm," They both stand up, "Goodnight, Izumi."

"Yeah." He walks away and it seems like he was so far away from Chisaki for her to reach him.

It was 8:30pm when Chisaki got back to her dorm and Sakeo was at the desk doing homework.

"I'm back." She shuts the door behind her.

"Yeah, you came a bit late." She says focusing on her homework.

"Just taking my time coming here, that's all."

"Go wash up, we have a lot of things to do tomorrow. Remember?" Sakeo says looking at her with a smile.

"Ah, that's right the fall festival." She gives off a bright smile and heads to the shower. 

Although the relationship between her and Izumi seem to get along better than before, she would like to get along with him more and not see he lonely face but a smile. She wants to make him smile and not just a plain, cold, face that no one wants to look at. He doesn't seem like a bad person to her but she just felt like she had to do something to make him smile and have fun with friends who care about him. She crawls into bed and thinks of all kinds of stuff. So much was in her mind, the festival mixed up with the masqerade, the man she was dancing with at the last masqerade, then Izumi popped into her head. Her heart skipped a beat when she thought of him. A flash back of him kissing her by the cheek came to her mind and the words he said made her blush so much that she couldn't sleep but feel pissed off because of him.

 They spent just a little time with each other and it was awkward speaking with each other but somehow she came to realized that she had fell for him. She got out of bed and went outside to get some fresh air and to cool down from all the thoughts in her head. The night lights were on and she walks through the halls. She gets to the outside and just stands there leaning on a pillar. Chisaki then slides down and crouches will staring up at the stars. Foot steps were approaching the dorms and Chisaki turns around and sees Izumi. Shocked from seeing him at this time she asked him where he went.

"I went to go see the chairman. What are you doin here?"

"The chairman? Why?" She asks out of curiousity.

"I guess there's no point hiding it from you anymore. I'm the chairman's son, the next heir to be the schools chairman and I don't to be it. I rather have my older brother be it."

"Eh....you're really the chairman's son." To shy to show much expression she faces off into the distance.

He stops to by her side, "And what are you doing here?"

"Um...I couldn't sleep." She says nervously.

"A girl shouldn't be out here alone at this time. Hurry up and get back to your dorm." He says with a smirk.

"And if I don't."

"I'll just tell my father that you do this evey night."

She gets straight up, "Hmph, so much for being the chairman's son. I'm leaving." She starts to walk off.

He says quietly, "Goodnight..."

Chisaki heard him but ignored it as she blushed all the way back to her dorm. She closes the door quietly to not wake Sakeo up and crawls back into bed. Eventually she fell asleep.