009: LEE SUNGJONG

My Owl

009:

LEE SUNGJONG

 

            Myungsoo feels his heart clenching as his eyes remain unable to look away from the screen of his television. His fingers are frozen making him unable to turn the television off to stop the clenching in his heart that is gradually making his breathing stop and his head ache. Tears form at the corners of his eyes as he looks at the image of the one he so dearly held close to his heart once. He looks at those lips smiling as he utters words that Myungsoo cannot make sense of. He looks at those eyes that seem to stare at him through the screen; those eyes that used to comfort him and give him strength to go on with life.

 

“…but most of all, I would want to catch up with someone special whom I haven’t been in contact with since my European tour. I hope that he would forgive me for being too busy and accept me back in his life.”

 

Myungsoo has had enough and those words are just too much to handle so he forces his frozen fingers back to life and watches as the television screen fades to black.

 

A knock sounds on his door and Jinki ahjussi enters with a gift basket full of flowers in his hands.

 

“Oh, I thought you would be asleep by now but I’m glad that you are awake to receive this. Sungjong’s personal assistant came by to drop this off,” he says when he sees Myungsoo by his desk.

 

He walks across the room and places the gift basket on Myungsoo’s desk.

 

“Thank you, ahjussi…you may now rest,” Myungsoo says.

 

“Alright, then. I hope you’ll also rest. That cousin of yours, Sungyeol, looks like he’s a handful to look after. You’re probably tired. I’ll take my leave now.”

 

Myungsoo simply nods and watches the man walk out of his room before averting his attention back to the gift basket that’s innocently resting on his desk. With a sigh, he takes the gift tag and reads the note that’s written in a painfully familiar handwriting.

 

Soo,

Remember this wine? Now that I’m back from my very successful tour, we could drink and enjoy this together! I’ll be waiting for you at our tower.

 

Lots of love,

Sungjong

 

Crumpling up the note in his hands, he leans back on his chair and nestles his aching head in one hand but he cannot stop the flashes of memories that are coming back to him in a rush.

 

“Congratulations on successfully making your debut on European charts! I heard your song’s been on top one for weeks now!”

 

Sungjong beamed at Myungsoo and nuzzled his head at the crook of Myungsoo’s neck.

 

“I wouldn’t have been on top of that chart if it wasn’t for you who have been the inspiration behind the lyrics to that song, Soo,” Sungjong said.

 

Myungsoo planted a kiss on top of his boyfriend’s head and reached out beside him for his gift.

 

“To celebrate the occasion, I got you this,” Myungsoo said, bringing out the bottle of wine.

 

Sungjong sat up straight and stared in awe at the bottle of wine in Myungsoo’s hand. He gasped as Myungsoo read out the title of the wine to him.

 

“No way! I looked everywhere for this, but I couldn’t find! And you got the oldest one? Oh, Myungsoo, thank you so much!” Sungjong said, stretching out his arm to hug Myungsoo.

 

“You’re very welcome, Sungjong-ah. Anything for Korea’s most successful rookie. Come on, stop smothering me and lets taste this wine!” Myungsoo said.

 

Sungjong released Myungsoo from his hug.

 

“Wait, I don’t want to drink this just yet,” Sungjong said.

 

“Why not?” Myungsoo asked, raising his brows in confusion.

 

“I still have my European tour to worry about. When it becomes successful, then I’m going to drink this wine with you to celebrate.”

 

Myungsoo lowered his head at the mention of the European tour. He knew that Sungjong would be busy and they would have little time for each other. Moreover, they would be more distant upon the launch of the tour. However, Myungsoo forced himself to smile, not wanting to dishearten his lover.

 

 

            Sungyeol laughs loudly as he watches the variety show on television. The seven member of the boy group are so funny as they truthfully diss one another. It’s rear to find a variety show that’s not heavily scripted. Sungyeol lets out another laugh but stops and clicks his tongue in annoyance when the phone on his bedside table suddenly rings. With a sigh, he answers it.

 

“Sungyeol-shi, get dressed. We’re going out.”

 

With that being said, Myungsoo quickly hangs up and leaves Sungyeol frowning on his bed. He looks back at the television screen and decides that he’s going to ignore Myungsoo because he can’t leave and stop watching the seven funny (and not to mention handsome) dudes. A few minutes pass by and Sungyeol thinks that Myungsoo already forgot about going out because he didn’t call anymore but he is mistaken when the phone rings again. He begrudgingly pick it up again only to be greeted by Myungsoo’s voice.

 

“Now, Sungyeol-shi. Don’t make me wait.”

 

“Where are we going at this hour, Director Kim?” Sungyeol whines.

 

“We’re going to have our first meal together as…cousins, remember?” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol rolls his eyes.

 

“I thought it was cancelled due to my violent behavior towards you a while ago?” Sungyeol bites out.

 

“I changed my mind. Besides, you deserve to be given an exquisite meal at a wonderful restaurant as a reward after that stellar performance of yours at the hospital. But if you want to pass up this opportunity, I guess I can’t force you,” Myungsoo says.

 

At the mention of food, Sungyeol perks up and he sits up straight on the bed.

 

“I’ll be down in a few minutes,” Sungyeol says.

 

He immediately hangs up and looks back apologetically at the television screen where the seven members of the boy group are doing some kind of a relay on ice sleds.

 

“I’m so sorry, boys. But you cannot win against good food.”

 

~ O ~

 

            Sungyeol pouts as he pours soju into Myungsoo’s shot glass. His thoughts drift back towards the variety show that he abandoned in order to go with Myungsoo to get his reward of a good meal. Sungyeol kind of expected to be treated in an international buffet or something extravagant considering that it’s Director Kim Myungsoo who is treating him out for dinner. But instead of being in an international buffet, Sungyeol looks around the humble samgyupsal place that they’re in and scrunches his nose at the drunks at the table next to theirs.

 

“So this is your idea of bringing me into a wonderful restaurant for an exquisite meal, huh, director Kim?” Sungyeol sarcastically asks.

 

Myungsoo downs the shot in one go and laughs at Sungyeol.

 

“The company is cutting down on expenses, Sungyeol-shi. You should be grateful that I didn’t bring you out to eat street food,” Myungsoo says.

 

“Aish, be grateful that the food here is really delicious or else I won’t forgive you for interrupting my newfound favorite show!” Sungyeol says.

 

He pours more soju into his and Myungsoo’s cup before raising his shot glass in the air.

 

“Let’s cheer for our first meal as cousins, director Kim. Oh…I should probably stop calling you that if I’m going to be your adorable cousin from now on…hm. Myungsoo hyung, please take care of me!” Sungyeol says, raising his shot glass.

 

Myungsoo laughs at that and clinks his glass against Sungyeol before they proceed to drink their soju together. He laughs at the sight of Sungyeol coughing at the strong and bitter taste of the drink. Myungsoo wants to about it but the loud conversation from the table next to theirs distracts him and pierces his heart in ways that he doesn’t want to experience anymore.

 

“Lee Sungjong’s new reality show is really nice, huh?” one drunk says to his friend.

 

“You bet! I wonder if they’re going to reveal his boyfriend in one of the episodes!” the friend replies.

 

Sungyeol hears the drunk as well and he turns to Myungsoo who suddenly looks uncomfortable. He clears his throat and leans forward as if he’s going to tell a secret.

 

“Myung Hyung, did you know that Woohyun-shi is close to Lee Sungjong?” Sungyeol whispers.

 

Myungsoo downs another shot of soju and tries to avert the topic away from Sungjong.

 

“How did you meet Woohyun? If you’re dating him then you should break up now because in the eyes of everybody, the two of you are cousins,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol’s eyes widen and he shakes his head.

 

“You are mistaken, hyung. Woohyun-shi and I aren’t dating…we’re not really that close, okay? I couldn’t really get comfortable with him after mistaking him as a gigolo…” Sungyeol mumbles to himself.

 

Myungsoo thinks that Sungyeol is already distracted but he sighs when Sungyeol leans forward again and whispers more things to him.

 

“Anyway, did you know that Lee Sungjong had a boyfriend but the poor guy got dumped after Sungjong-shi chose his career over him?” Sungyeol whispers to him, looking like he’s telling the biggest secret of the world.

 

Myungsoo would’ve found Sungyeol’s gestures cute if he isn’t talking about Myungsoo himself.

 

“Who told you that information?” Myungsoo asks, not looking at Sungyeol.

 

“Woohyun-shi, of course! I don’t know who that guy he dumped is but…I feel really sorry for him,” Sungyeol continues.

 

Myungsoo is getting uncomfortable and he’s starting to feel dizzy so he decides to drink water.

 

“I bet that guy is so furious and bothered seeing Sungjong-shi’s face all over the television lately. I bet he can’t even swallow whenever he drinks water,” Sungyeol says.

 

At that, Myungsoo chokes on his water and glares at Sungyeol who is looking seriously at the distance.

 

“Yah, not everybody thinks like you do if met with such situation. I can still drink water and even drink soju,” Myungsoo makes a show of drinking a shot, “and I can even eat my food just like a normal human being.”

 

Sungyeol side-eyes him and shakes his head.

 

“Eii, it’s so easy to say that because you’re not in the position of that poor guy! You wouldn’t know until you’re placed into the same pitiful situation.”

 

Myungsoo laughs instead of replying. If only Sungyeol knows what he’s talking about, he’s going to bury himself six feet under and wish that he just shut up.

 

“Stop talking about other people’s business, Sungyeol-ah, and eat up,” Myungsoo says wit a wave of his hand.

 

“I’ll enjoy the food, hyung!” Sungyeol says, flashing Myungsoo his gummy smile.

 

Myungsoo watches Sungyeol stuffing his mouth with the food before getting distracted by the ringing of his phone. Without looking at the caller ID, he answers the call.

 

“Soo, it’s Sungjong. I’m waiting for you at the tower. You’ll be here as you promised, right?”

 

Myungsoo feels his body freezing at the sound of the warm voice on the other line. He clenches his hand into a fist.

 

“I’m not going to keep my promise anymore, so don’t wait for me,” Myungsoo grits out before ending the phone call.

 

Sungyeol tilts his head as he looks at Myungsoo, wondering what happened.

 

“Is there something wrong?” Sungyeol asks.

 

“It’s nothing. Just eat,” Myungsoo deadpans.

 

His phone rings again, catching both of the attentions. Myungsoo grabs it and places it in his pocket.

 

“That’s enough for today. Let’s head home,” Myungsoo says.

 

He stands up and places a few bills on the table before walking out without even waiting for Sungyeol.

 

“What’s wrong with this person? First, he told me to just eat and now he’s asking me to stop…aish, who is that blasted person who called him and made him angry?!”

 

 

            Myungsoo continues to be silent on the drive home. Sungyeol feels awkward and he wants to strike a conversation with Howon but he doesn’t want to distract the other while driving so he just shuts his mouth and tries to bear with the uncomfortable silence. However, Myungsoo’s ringtone breaks the uncomfortable silence. Sungyeol turns to Myungsoo when the phone keeps on noisily ringing. The latter is ignoring it and Sungyeol is getting irritated at the noise.

 

“If you don’t want to answer the phone call, you should turn it off or put it on silent so you don’t disturb other people!” Sungyeol bursts out.

 

Myungsoo ignores Sungyeol as well and keeps on staring at the window.

 

“It doesn’t look like you don’t want to answer the phone, so why ignore it? It looks like you’re waiting for the call of that person but you’re just playing hard to get,” Sungyeol pushes, earning a glare from Myungsoo.

 

Sungyeol sighs and crosses his arms in front of his chest, trying to ignore Myungsoo.

 

“I originally had an appointment with someone tonight but I cancelled it for your sake. But I’ll meet the person for a little while. Wait here and I’ll be back,” Myungsoo says.

 

Without waiting for Sungyeol to agree, Myungsoo slams the door and walks away into the building. Sungyeol looks around and realizes that they’re at a famous tower in Seoul where most couples meet and confess their undying love for each other. Sungyeol wonders who Myungsoo is going to meet here at this hour. He’s surprised that the facility is even open.

 

“Howon-ah, does Myungsoo hyung have a lover?” Sungyeol asks, leaning forward towards the driver seat.

 

Howon clears his throat and uncomfortably looks at Sungyeol.

 

“I’m in no position to answer that question, Sungyeol-shi,” Howon replies.

 

“Oh come on! You’re no fun! I just want to know! I won’t tell Myungsoo that you’re the one who told me! Come on!” Sungyeol whines, bouncing on his seat and making the car shake slightly.

 

“Sungyeol-shi, please stop throwing a tantrum. If you really want to know, then ask director Kim himself,” Howon says.

 

“Hmph, as if he would tell me! You people are no fun!” Sungyeol says, settling back on his seat.

 

He takes out his phone and opens his Sim City app to keep himself from being bored.

 

~ O ~

 

            Myungsoo stares long and hard at the person sitting in front of him. Sungjong’s face is as beautiful and sweet as he remembers but on top of his head is a longer mop of hair that is colored lighter.

 

“You look good, Soo. How have you been? Is grandfather recovering well? Oh, I’m so silly, I should probably visit him personally now that I’ve returned,” Sungjong says, smiling sweetly at Myungsoo who keeps his poker face on.

 

Sungjong sees the look and he clears his throat.

 

“Uh, I heard that you’ve been promoted as director. I’m so happy for you, Soo. Congratulations!” Sungjong says.

 

“I should be the one congratulating you. Your European tour was a success. You’ve fulfilled your dreams, I hope you’re happy,” Myungsoo says.

 

“Is that all you want to say, Myungsoo?” Sungjong asks, wanting to hear those three words.

 

“Congratulations, Sungjong-ah.”

 

“Myungsoo, don’t you miss me?”

 

“I can only fulfill my promise until here. I have someone waiting for me. I have to go.”

 

Myungsoo stands up and walks away, leaving Sungjong dumbfounded. Sungjong stands up and manages to join Myungsoo inside the elevator before the door closed. He stands quietly next to him, a thousand of things wanting to escape from his mouth in order to make everything better.

 

“I’m sorry for waiting you for more than a year, Myungsoo. I’ve been working so hard to fulfill all of my dreams as quickly as possible so I could go back to you and be there for you. As much as I love living my dream, I am still very much in love with you. That’s the reason why I’m back now,” Sungjong says.

 

Myungsoo doesn’t look at Sungjong, knowing that if he does, his resolve might crumble.

 

“The time you spent away from me, trying to make all of your dreams come true and come back to me is also the equivalent of the time I spent forgetting you and letting you go. Just like you, I’ve been working hard to forget you,” Myungsoo says.

 

“I’m really sorry for abandoning you so selfishly! You can hate me, Myungsoo. You can tell me to go away but please, don’t you ever tell me that you’ve forgotten me,” Sungjong says, turning Myungsoo to face him before kissing him on the lips.

 

 

            Sungyeol sighs out angrily as he goes out of the comfort room. He angrily looks around for any sign of Myungsoo but the lobby is deserted.

 

“A little while? What’s he talking about?! I’ve been in the car for thirty minutes and if I waited a little longer, my bladder could’ve exploded! Aish, where is that guy?!” Sungyeol rants to himself.

 

He looks at the list of floors beside the elevator and sees that at the top floor, there is a French restaurant.

 

“He brought me at a greasy samgyupsal eatery and now he’s here to meet someone else at a fancy restaurant?!” Sungyeol scoffs.

 

He looks at the top of the elevator to see that it’s descending from the top floor.

 

“Ah, he just came down, huh? He’s so going to get it for making me wait!” Sungyeol says and prepares himself to look angry.

 

After a few seconds of waiting, he sees that the elevator is already on the third floor and his insides tingle with excitement. When the elevator dings, he clears his throat to prepare for his scolding but when the doors slide open, Sungyeol cannot do anything but to stare with his eyes and mouth wide open at Lee Sungjong and Myungsoo kissing.

 

Author’s Notes: Another update! Hehe, thanks for the upvotes, subscribes and comments! See you next time!