O14: CRUMBLE DOWN, DOWN, DOWN

My Owl

014:

CRUMBLE DOWN, DOWN, DOWN

 

                  Entering the temple where the parents of Myungsoo’s real younger cousin, Sungyeol feels himself cower in shame so he slows down and hides behind Myungsoo. As they get closer to the front of the temple where the portraits of Chaerin and her husband are placed, Sungyeol clutches onto Myungsoo’s coat and gives it a tug.

 

“What are you doing?” Myungsoo asks, looking behind him.

 

“I…I can’t do this. It’s their grave. I’ll just wait outside!” Sungyeol says.

 

He turns around and starts to walk away but Myungsoo catches him on time.

 

“Look around you,” Myungsoo whispers.

 

Sungyeol hesitantly looks around him and sees two elder men watching their every move.

“They are the caretakers of the grave and they know that you’re the lost son of aunt Chaerin. Grandfather’s going to ask them if you visited and gave respect. Now, it up and come along,” Myungsoo whispers.

 

Sungyeol lets out a sigh but lets himself get dragged to the front of the altar. As they get there, they get on their knees and started to give respect.

 

I am so sorry. I am so sorry. I am so sorry. I am so sorry,Sungyeol thinks as he repeatedly bows at the foot of their grave.

 

‘I will take care of your son’s image and not do anything to ruin it to grandfather. I am so sorry, I’ll make it up by taking good care of the loved ones that you left behind…so please, don’t hunt me. I’m scared of ghosts…please, don’t.’

 

Sungyeol is making weird noises as he prays to the parents of the real grandson, so Myungsoo gives him a weird look. The caretakers that are standing behind them are also giving Sungyeol weirds looks. Myungsoo shakes his head and chooses to ignore the other’s weirdness.

 

“Please, please, please,” Sungyeol whispers.

 

Finally having enough of his weirdness, Myungsoo nudges Sungyeol causing the latter to stumble a little.

 

“What did you do that for?!” Sungyeol hisses, rubbing his burning knee.

 

“Keep quiet and stop being weird, would you?” Myungsoo whispers back.

 

Sungyeol scoffs at him before turning back to face front. He gives one final bow before standing up and walking out of the temple with Myungsoo following him shortly after.

 

“You really look like your mother,” one of the caretakers says as he gazes at Sungyeol’s face.

 

Sungyeol gives a sheepish smile and bows in acknowledgement.

 

“I’m glad you found your cousin, young master. Your grandfather can now live the rest of his life happily,” the other caretaker says.

 

“Yes, our Sungyeollie’s presence is such a blessing in our family,” Myungsoo nods.

 

The caretaker wants to say something more but is interrupted when Myungsoo’s phone suddenly beeps. Myungsoo apologetically bows at the caretaker before looking at the message. A frown makes its way on his face upon seeing the name, making Sungyeol worry.

 

“What’s wrong?” Sungyeol asks.

 

“We’re so sorry but we have to go now. There’s an emergency,” Myungsoo says, hurriedly turning back to walk to the car.

 

Sungyeol bows his farewell to the caretakers of the grave and sprints after Myungsoo.

 

“What happened? Is it grandfather?” Sungyeol asks.

 

Despite Sungyeol’s continuous questions, Myungsoo doesn’t reply and proceeds to driving (speeding). Sungyeol nervously looks over to the other’s frowning face and wonders if he did something wrong to upset him or if it’s solely because of the text message that he previously received. His mind is racing with a lot of thoughts but he chooses to push them at the back of his mind so that he could smile and look forward to the lunch treat that Myungsoo promised him.

 

“I’ll have to cancel our lunch together. I have a very important business to attend to. Howon is on his well-deserved day off and I’d feel back if I call him so suddenly, so is it okay if I ask Woohyun hyung to pick you up near the highway?”

 

What about me? Don’t you feel bad if you cancel our lunch date together?

 

"I can go back to the mansion by myself. There’s no need for you to trouble Woohyun-shi,” Sungyeol replies.

 

“No, grandfather will kill me if he finds out that I let you go back there on your own. Woohyun hyung is on his way, anyway,” Myungsoo says. 

 

And here I am thinking that you were actually worried about me going back to the mansion on my own. You’re just worried about yourself.

 

“So, is it okay?” Myungsoo asks.

 

“No…you promised a lunch with me,” Sungyeol mumbles quietly as he looks out of the car’s window.

 

“What did you say?” Myungsoo says, looking at Sungyeol with raised brows.

 

Sungyeol clears his throat and cheerfully smiles at Myungsoo.

 

“It’s not like I have the right to say that it’s not okay! But don’t think you dare think that I’m letting this go so easily! I’m expecting a lunch buffet next time!”

 

Myungsoo chuckles and spares a glance at Sungyeol.

 

“Alright, I’ll make it up to you next time.”

 

~ O ~

 

                  Sungyeol tries so hard to hide his pout when Myungsoo drops him off at the convenience store at the side of the highway without even sparing him a look. The stoic jerk is back to being stoic as he speeds off as soon as Sungyeol closes the door behind him. He is longingly staring at the disappearing figure of Myungsoo’s car until a certain someone obscured his view.

 

“Hey, cutie~”

 

Sungyeol jumps back in surprise at the close proximity between him and Woohyun who came out of nowhere.

 

“Woohyun-shi!” Sungyeol gasps.

 

Woohyun chuckles and boops Sungyeol’s nose fondly.

 

“Have you been here long?” Woohyun asks.

 

“Nope, Myungsoo just dropped me off,” Sungyeol replies.

 

“Where is he? I have a few thing to discuss with him,” Woohyun says.

 

“He drove away as soon as he dropped me off,” Sungyeol shrugs.

 

“What?! That jerk didn’t even made sure that you’re safe before driving off? He didn’t even had the decency to thank me. I had to cancel a very important activity just to save his ,” Woohyun says, mumbling the last sentence to himself.

 

Sungyeol bows deeply at Woohyun.

 

“I’m sorry if I’m being a bother to you. I could just go home on my own and you can go back to the important activity…I can manage on my own,” Sungyeol guiltily says.

 

“Aish, do you think that I’m like Myungsoo? Unlike that guy, I’m a gentleman. I don’t mind cancelling that important activity if it means spending time with you. Now, lets get in the car,” Woohyun says.

 

Sungyeol would like to protest and insist that he’s going to be fine by himself but Woohyun shakes his head dismissively. With his hand on the small of Sungyeol’s back, Woohyun guides them to the car.

 

“So, what do you want to do today, Sungyeol-ah?” Woohyun asks when they are both seated inside the car.

 

Sungyeol tilts his head at Woohyun and blinks.

 

“Uh, I don’t know. Maybe we should go home?” Sungyeol lamely suggests.

 

“What? That’s so lame, Sungyeol! Let’s go somewhere fun! Any suggestion?” Woohyun asks.

 

Sungyeol tries to think of something fun to do but the heavy feeling in his heart due to the sudden cancellation of his lunch with the stoic jerk is still weighing him down, so he ends up shrugging at Woohyun with a pout. Woohyun frowns in confusion and fully turns his torso to face Sungyeol who has his shoulders slumped as he sits on the passenger seat.

 

“Is there something wrong, Sungyeol?” Woohyun asks.

 

Sungyeol shakes his head in return.

 

“Look at me,” Woohyun sighs out, holding Sungyeol by the chin.

 

“I know that you are a very cheerful person, cutie. What’s making you frown and shut up all of a sudden?” Woohyun asks.

 

“What makes you think that I’m a cheerful person? You only met me I dunno…twice or thrice? I could’ve been in a really good mood during the times you met me…” Sungyeol deadpans.

 

“As if! Come on, tell me! I won’t judge you!” Woohyun scoffs.

 

“No! I told you! I’m not upset!” Sungyeol snaps.

 

Woohyun is taken aback at the sudden outburst of the latter causing him to look away.

 

“Okay, I won’t pry anymore…but if you don’t want to tell me what’s bugging you…at least, let me cheer you up,” Woohyun says.

 

Sungyeol lets out a sigh and frowns at Woohyun.

 

“Please? I’m not used to seeing my favorite cutie being grumpy,” Woohyun says, a hopeful smile on his face.

 

Upon seeing Woohyun’s small hopeful smile, Sungyeol cracks a small smile of his own and finally gives in.

 

“Fine, but I really can’t think of anything fun to do. I’m not that familiar with Seoul,” Sungyeol says.

 

“Don’t worry! I’ve got you covered!”

 

~ O ~

 

“Where are we?” Sungyeol asks, looking around.

 

He closes the car door behind him and notices that there is some kind of a park built on the cliff in front of him. When they were driving towards the outskirts of the city, Sungyeol expected that Woohyun is driving him towards an amsement park or something similar to that. But there are no ferris wheels nor roller coasters in the park in front of them. There are only tall trees and benches surrounding a small shrine.

 

“So? What do you think?” Woohyun asks.

 

Woohyun’s voice brings Sungyeol out of his trance causing him to look behind him, a small frown of confusion etched on his face.

 

“This…this is a cliff, Woohyun. Are you suggesting that we jump off the cliff?” Sungyeol asks.

 

Woohyun rolls his eyes and moves to stand beside Sungyeol.

 

“Hey, this isn’t just a cliff. It’s a park built on a cliff. Doesn’t it look peaceful?” Woohyun says, looking around their surroundings with a smile.

 

Sungyeol follows the latter’s action and unkowingly, there is a smile making its way on his face as well. The place is empty and it’s very quiet except from sound of the wind making the branches of the tall trees sway and the sweet chirping of the birds.

 

“Yeah, it’s indeed peaceful,” Sungyeol breathlessly says.

 

“No one really comes here besides me. Well, at least, everytime I go here, it’s empty,” Woohyun says.

 

“Really? Do you own this place?” Sungyeol asks.

 

“Silly! No, this is a public park that no one probably knows about…I accidentally discovered this while I was trying to escape from the bodyguards mother sent after me when I was seventeen,” Woohyun says, sitting on a bench.

 

“Do you come here often?” Sungyeol eagerly asks, sitting beside Woohyun.

 

“Hm, I used to come here often when I was a troubled teen. My visits here are getting lesser and lesser,” Woohyun says.

 

“Why?” Sungyeol asks, eyes shining with genuine curiosity.

 

“Because I’m not that lonely anymore. Well…at least, I found better things to do when I get lonely. But nonetheless, I like to call this my personal sanctuary. I come here when I’m sad, happy, angry or when I just really want to be alone or get away from the world especially my responsibilities,” Woohyun says.

 

Sungyeol looks at Woohyun and takes in the latter’s handsome features. Somehow, Sungyeol has a feeling that behind this happy-go-lucky playboy in front of him, there used to be a lonely and scared young boy.

 

“Maybe I can stop you from coming here permanently,” Sungyeol suddenly says.

 

“What, are you going to invade my santuary?” Woohyun jokes.

 

“No, not like that!” Sungyeol says, vigorously shaking his head in denial.

 

“Alright, I understand. But what do you mean, cutie?” Woohyun asks, chuckling.

 

“What I mean is that if you get lonely, you can come to me,” Sungyeol says.

 

Woohyun does not reply. Instead, he looks at Sungyeol with a smirk. Sungyeol frowns and after a few seconds, he finally gets the implication of what he said and what the other is thinking at the moment.

 

“I meant that if you get lonely, you can come talk to me and nothing more than talking!” Sungyeol sternly corrects.

 

“Aw, no hugs?” Woohyun pouts.

 

“A hug is fine…but nothing more than that! Don’t get ideas,” Sungyeol says.

 

“Don’t worry, I know my place in your life, cutie. But seriously, if you get lonely or bothered or troubled or whatever, you can go here. I don’t mind sharing my personal sanctuary with you,” Woohyun says.

 

Sungyeol gives Woohyun a sweet smile.

 

“Thank you, Woohyun-ah. I really appreciate it. I promise to take care of this sanctuary that you shared with me,” Sungyeol says.

 

“It’s okay. I just can’t stand your sad owl eyes a while ago. I know that you’re very sad that Myungsoo passed you on to me. He just needed to take care of some Sungjong issue very quickly, so don’t worry, you’ll see him soon,” Woohyun says.

 

Sungyeol perks up at that and gapes at Woohyun.

 

“H-He’s with Sungjong-shi right now?” Sungyeol asks.

 

“Yes, that boy got drunk in the hotel and won’t leave the bar until Myungsoo’s there. No one could get him out no matter what they do and he was getting out of control. He was already disturbing the customers, so his manager called Myungsoo,” Woohyun explains.

 

“O-Oh…I see,” Sungyeol says.

 

Of course, Lee Sungjong comes before you, Sungyeol.

 

~ O ~

 

 

                  Myungsoo heaves as he supports Sungjong with one arm while the other opens the door to the latter’s hotel room. Sungjong is not heavy but his drunken steps are making walking harder for Myungsoo.

 

“Soo-ah, I’m so…happy that you’re…here,” Sungjong slurrs as Myungsoo leads him to the bed.

 

Myungsoo remains quiet even after he places Sungjong on the bed. He surveys the room, looking for the thermostat so that he could turn up the temperature. Sungjong easily catches a cold whenever his surrounding is not warm enough.

 

“Myungsoo…” Sungjong drunkenly calls out from the bed.

 

Instead of responding to the call, Myungsoo makes his way to the thermostat once he finds it. He turns the temperature up and when he deems it good enough, he turns around to get out of the room. But upon turning around, he sees Sungjong emptying the contents of his stomach on the bed.

 

“!” Myungsoo curses, sprinting towards the bed.

 

“I’m so sorry…I decorated your sheets with my fabulous…vomit,” Sungjong giggles.

 

Myungsoo sighs in annoyance but with the sound of Sungjong’s giggles ringing through the quiet room, he finds himself cracking a little smile. But it is quickly wiped away when Sungjong groggily removes his shoes and starts to climb back up on the bed, inevitably landing on the vomit.

 

“Sungjong-ah! Get up!” Myungsoo exclaims.

 

He gets a loud snore from the other. Myungsoo runs his fingers through his hair because this is definitely not his job as the director of the hotel. This is the job of Sungjong’s manager or whoever’s in charge of taking care of this brat. Myungsoo angrily straightens up and he starts to make his way towards the door but he stops upon hearing Sungjong calling for him again. Myungsoo looks back at Sungjong and sees that he’s smothering his face on the vomit. Myungsoo cringes in disgust but it’s quickly replaced with worry.

 

If this crazy guy suffocates on his own vomit and dies, it’s going to be my fault for not properly tending to him…I can’t let him die in our hotel…it’s going to ruin us…but then again, this is the responsibility of someone else. Right…I’m just going to call his manager. 

 

Myungsoo nods to himself and takes out his phone to call him manager but he’s stopped by his thoughts again.

 

I’m already here, so why should I call someone else? Besides, there’s nothing going on between me and Sungjong anymore…I shouldn’t be bothered by doing a simple act of kindness to him.

 

With a shake of his head, Myungsoo quickly walks to Sungjong and carries him to the bathroom so that he could get cleaned up. Myungsoo lets out a deep breath as he sits Sungjong on the toilet and he starts ing the latter’s shirt. When the last button is undone, Myungsoo slides the shirt off of Sungjong’s shoulders as he quickly turns away to wet a towel. Moments pass by and Myungsoo is cleaning up Sungjong just fine without any incidents popping out or whatever but of course, a bump in the road has to come.

 

Sungjong suddenly holds onto Myungsoo’s wrist and looks up at him through wide eyes. Myungsoo panics when he sees that Sungjong looks sobber. 

 

“Sungjong-ah, I’m just cleaning you up. I’ll be done—“

 

“I’m so sorry for making you miserable when I left you. I was blinded by the luster that my dreams emitted. I was so wrong for choosing my career over you and now, I’m suffering the consequences. If I were to go back in time and I’m asked to choose again between you and my career, I would choose you. I’d choose you over anything. The recognition that I’m getting now cannot compare to the happiness I feel everytime I’m with you,” Sungjong says.

 

Myungsoo is rooted on his spot as Sungjong continues to look at him with his big eyes that are shining with tears. His resolve to stay away from Sungjong had been strong ever since the latter’s return to Korea but Myungsoo can hear it crumbling little by little with every moment that passes by.

 

“Myungsoo-ah, I’m leaving tomorrow for good. I’m letting you go because I love you so, so much. I wish you all the best in life,” Sungjong says.

 

The moment that Myungsoo feels his eyes burn with tears, he drops the towel on the floor and hurriedly makes his way to the door and out of the room. He runs and runs, ignoring the stares that he’s getting from the people that he passes by. When he reaches the elevator, he frantically presses it until it dings open and takes him away.

 

 

~ O ~

 

                  Sungyeol looks up in surprise when he hears the front door opening and closing with a loud bang. The loud bang from the door closing is followed by loud footsteps and soon, a running Myungsoo comes to a stop in front of Sungyeol, eyes wide and dazed.

 

“M-Myungsoo?” Sungyeol stutters out, standing up to take a better look at the other.

 

“I don’t love him anymore, right?” Myungsoo suddenly blurts out.

 

Sungyeol blinks and tilts his head.

 

“What are you talking about?” he asks.

 

“It can’t be back, right? I’ve burried it. It cannot come back!” Myungsoo frantically replies.

 

“What’s coming back? Myungsoo, are you sick?” Sungyeol asks, walking closer to Myungsoo to check his temperature.

 

“Don’t touch me!” Myungsoo yells, looking like a paranoid idiot as he slaps Sungyeol’s hand away.

 

“What’s wrong with you?!” Sungyeol yells back.

 

Myungsoo shakes his head and climbs the stairs in a flash, leaving a dumbfounded Sungyeol standing in the middle of the living room.

 

“Burried what?” Sungyeol wonders to himself.

 

When an idea suddenly pops into his mind, he lets out a gasp and covers his mouth with a hand.

 

“Did he murder someone?!” Sungyeol gasps out.

 

Sungyeol shakes the idea out of his head and decides that the other man is just being weird.

 

~ O ~

 

                  Sungyeol is sitting in Myungsoo’s car once again because the latter said that they’re going to have that lunch that they failed to have yesterday. He should be happy that Myungsoo is fulfilling his promise to him but that disturbed look that was on Myungsoo’s face last night is still there and Sungyeol could tell that whatever it is, it’s still bother Myungsoo.

 

“Where are you taking me for lunch today, dear cousin?” Sungyeol asks, trying to light up the mood.

 

Myungsoo does not answer and he continues to stare hard on the road as if he didn’t hear Sungyeol.

 

“Hey!” Sungyeol bursts out and effectively startles Myungsoo.

 

“What?” Myungsoo asks.

 

“Where are we going to have lunch?” Sungyeol repeats.

 

“Oh…uh, I thought we could eat lunch at the hotel today…our chef is really good,” Myungsoo says, still sounding distracted as he drives into the parking lot of their hotel.

 

“That would be really nice! I haven’t really tasted Woollim hotel’s food that well. It would be nice if I get to try something new today,” Sungyeol says.

 

Myungsoo nods and continues to drive towards his parking spot but he abruptly stops in the middle of the parking lot when he sees a familiar van parked in front of the hotel’s back entrance. He takes in a deep breath when he sees Sungjong slowly making his way out of the hotel, his manager trailing behind him with the luggages.

 

“Why did you stop in the middle of the lot?” Sungyeol asks, furrowing his brows in confusion.

 

Sungyeol frowns and stares at Myungsoo but soon enough, he sees that Myungsoo is longingly looking at something or someone from across the parking lot. He follows his line of sight and finally, everything is making sense.

 

Sungjong-shi is leaving and this idiot can’t do anything but stare.

 

“Are you just going to stare at him and let him go for the second time, Myungsoo?” Sungyeol sighs.

 

Myungsoo looks at him blankly.

 

“I know that right now, you’re distracted because you feel like you can’t breathe and your heart’s not with you. I know that you keep on telling yourself not to love Sungjong-shi anymore and at some point you might have made yourself believe that you really don’t love him anymore. But seeing you looking as pathetic as this is unbearable for me…so…let me help you get your heart back.”

 

Without a warning, Sungyeol reaches out and presses the honk of the car. He presses it long and hard until Sungjong looks up to their direction. At first, Sungjong looks annoyed but when he sees that it’s Myungsoo, he immediately goes out of the car and stares at Myungsoo expectedly. Sungyeol looks down on his lap with a smile as Myungsoo gets out of the car.

 

Lee Sungyeol, you did the right thing by intervening. They’re going to be reunited now and Myungsoo won’t be a stoic jerk anymore. Good job, Sungyeol-ah.

 

With a small smile, Sungyeol looks up but the small smile is immediately wiped away when he sees Myungsoo and Sungjong kissing in the middle of the parking lot. His breath hitches in his throat as he feels his heart sinking painfully at the pit of his stomach.

 

 

Author’s Notes: I am so sorry for reuniting MyungJong but it’s needed hehe! Also, I’m sorry for taking too long to update! I kind of got stuck in some parts in this chapter but I hope that this chapter turned out alright! Thank you for upvoting, subscribing and commenting!! Seeya next time!