005: ANOTHER OFFER

My Owl

005

ANOTHER OFFER

 

            Myungsoo looks at the pictures on his table and nods in approval. Sungyeol is pacing back in front of his oak desk, a smug smile on his face.

 

“I see that they indeed had a good time in that special place that you brought them to,” Myungsoo says, looking up at Sungyeol with raised brows.

 

“Of course! What did I tell you? I’m the best tour guide on this island!” Sungyeol says, stopping in front of Myungsoo.

 

“But that doesn’t change the fact that you were fifteen minutes late,” Myungsoo points out.

 

Sungyeol widens his eyes and pouts.

 

“The Chinese investors forgave me! They didn’t really mind! They were busy looking at women in bikinis by the pool!” Sungyeol reasons out.

 

“You’re lucky they were…distracted,” Myungsoo nods.

 

“Yes, now, where are my payment and my ticket to Seoul?” Sungyeol asks, holding out his hand in front of Myungsoo’s face.

 

“I already asked my secretary to book you a flight in two days. You can get the ticket tomorrow morning at the hotel’s front desk,” Myungsoo says, pushing away Sungyeol’s hand in front of his face.

 

Sungyeol smiles but holds out his hand in front of Myungsoo again.

 

“Thank you so much for arranging my flight and everything. Where’s my payment for being a tour guide today, director Kim?” Sungyeol says.

 

Myungsoo frowns at him.

 

“What do you mean payment? I already told you that I bought you the ticket, right? That’s your payment already!” Myungsoo says.

 

“But you said that I’ll be paid for this guide job and you’ll buy my plane ticket!” Sungyeol argues.

 

“No, I didn’t, Lee Sungyeol-shi. I only said that I will pay for your plane ticket to Seoul and don’t try to argue and get more money out of me. You’re still a trespasser,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol wants to argue further but he stops himself from doing so. If he pisses Kim Myungsoo off, he might lose his plane ticket as well, so he shuts his mouth together and nods dejectedly at Myungsoo.

 

“If you don’t have anything to say anymore, you may leave,” Myungsoo says, gesturing towards the door of his office.

 

“O-okay…thank you again, director Kim. I’ll be going now,” Sungyeol says, flashing a tiny smile at the man before making his way to the door.

 

On his way to the elevator, his phone suddenly rings.

 

“Dongwoo hyung?” Sungyeol says over the phone.

 

“Jungyeop ahjussi called me a while ago!” Dongwoo says.

 

Sungyeol stops on his track, eyes widening.

 

“Really?! Why didn’t he contact me instead?!” Sungyeol asks.

 

“He said that your number could not be reached! He said that he’s going to try to call you again tonight! Sungyeol-ah, no matter where you are, just make sure that you’re somewhere with cellular service! I—“

 

Sungyeol’s phone suddenly beeps and the call gets disconnected. He removes the phone from his ear and looks at its screen, letting out a gasp when he sees that the device is shutting down.

 

“Battery, don’t die on me now!” Sungyeol pleads, trying to press the power button again.

 

No matter how many times Sungyeol presses the power button, the device won’t open.

 

“Aish, where am I going to ch—“

 

Sungyeol stops in the middle of his sentence and eyes Myungsoo’s closed office door. Giggling to himself, he walks to the office and knocks on the door.

 

“Come in,” Myungsoo says.

 

“Director Kim!” Sungyeol cheers, running inside the office.

 

Myungsoo looks up in surprise and looks at Sungyeol confusedly.

 

“Do you need anything, Sungyeol-shi?” Myungsoo asks.

 

Sungyeol cheerfully waves his phone in front of Myungsoo.

 

“My phone died and I need somewhere to charge it because I am waiting for an important call from appa! Can I charge my phone here?” Sungyeol asks.

 

Myungsoo looks at him incredulously.

 

“Please, director Kim? I just really need to talk to appa! I’ll quietly sit and not bug you and I will quietly leave when my phone’s done charging,” Sungyeol pleads.

 

“A-alright, I suppose you can charge here,” Myungsoo says, giving in.

 

“Thank you so much! You will be blessed!” Sungyeol says, already running towards a socket at the corner of Myungsoo’s office.

 

Myungsoo shakes his head at Sungyeol before turning his attention back on his laptop.

 

“What are you doing, director Kim?” Sungyeol asks, suddenly popping out behind Myungsoo.

 

Myungsoo jumps at the sudden question.

 

“I’m researching…I’m looking for someone,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol leans closer, eyes glued on the screen.

 

“In Japan?” Sungyeol asks, tilting his head.

 

“How did you know?” Myungsoo asks, turning to look at Sungyeol.

 

“I can read, duh? Oh? You’re looking for someone who had been included in the earthquake?! Why? Who are you looking for?! I heard—“

 

“Excuse me, Sungyeol-shi, I thought that you’re not going to bug me? Please sit quietly beside your phone and pretend you don’t exist,” Myungsoo says, shutting his laptop close.

 

Sungyeol pouts but starts walking towards the chair where his phone is charging. Myungsoo lets his glare linger for a moment before opening his laptop again and continuing his research.

 

“You know, I lived in Japan for a while when I was a child. I lived there around the time of the earthquake. I am a fluent Japanese speaker, so if you need help looking for that person, you can hire me!” Sungyeol says from his seat.

 

Myungsoo looks up at him.

 

“How many languages can you speak?” Myungsoo curiously asks.

 

“I can speak Mandarin, Japanese, Korean and a few dialects,” Sungyeol says.

 

“I guess you weren’t lying about living in Beijing for a while and in Japan?” Myungsoo says.

 

“Of course, I wasn’t. It’s not easy to lie about those things because you’ll immediately get caught if you don’t know anything! I’ve been to a lot of places because of appa. Also, not everything I say is a lie,” Sungyeol says.

 

Myungsoo nods approvingly.

 

“So if you need extra help in touring investments or in looking for someone in Japan, just give me a call! Lee Sungyeol will be there immediately! Well, you know, as long as you’re going to pay me a reasonable price,” Sungyeol says, smiling mischievously at Myungsoo who scoffs.

 

“I don’t need extra help. I have my own people,” Myungsoo mumbles.

 

“Okay, then,” Sungyeol shrugs.

 

The silence soon settles between them and Myungsoo can finally concentrate on what he’s doing again. Hours passed by and it’s time for Myungsoo to go home. He packs up his laptop and some papers, standing up to approach Sungyeol who. But when he reaches the latter, Sungyeol is lying on his couch, mouth hanging open and letting out a quiet snores.

 

“Ya, Lee Sungyeol, get up. I need to leave now,” Myungsoo says, shaking the latter by the shoulder.

 

Sungyeol doesn’t budge, eyes still closed. Myungsoo clicks his tongue and proceeds to shake him again.

 

“Wake up now, Sungyeol-shi. You cannot sleep in my office!” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol makes an irritated noise and continues to sleep. Myungsoo scoffs.

 

“I know that you’re not sleeping. I know you can hear me, so wake up now,” Myungsoo says.

 

To Myungsoo’s annoyance, Sungyeol groans and shifts on his side, facing away from him. Myungsoo sighs and checks his watch.

 

“I guess you really need a place to stay, huh? You’re going to do anything to sleep here, huh? Fine, I’ll let you sleep here tonight just because you really made the investors happy. But when I go to work at eight in the morning, you should be out of here. Have a good sleep, you thick-skinned owl,” Myungsoo says.

 

With one last look at Sungyeol, Myungsoo walks out of the office. But before closing the door behind him, he turns up the heat in the freezing room and smiles at Sungyeol.

 

Upon hearing the office door closing, Sungyeol opens his eyes and giggles.

 

“Such a cold-looking man but actually has a compassionate heart. You will be bless, director Kim~” Sungyeol says to himself before closing his eyes again and eventually falling into dreamland.

 

~ O ~

 

Myungsoo caresses Sungyeol’s cheek and fondly looks down at him. Seeing that Sungyeol is shivering, Myungsoo removes his coat and drapes it on Sungyeol’s shivering body.

 

“Sleep well, angel~ You’ve been through a hard day. You deserve to rest…” Myungsoo whispers against his ear causing Sungyeol to giggle.

 

Suddenly, Sungyeol can smell money in the air and when he looks at Myungsoo, he is fanning him with money, counting them before showering them down onto Sungyeol. The latter gives a delighted sound, reaching out his hands to catch some money.

 

“YAH! WAKE UP!”

 

Sungyeol falls from the couch and groans at the sudden disturbance. He feels a hand pick him up and steadies him on the couch. When Sungyeol opens his eyes, he is met with Kim Myungsoo’s raven ones.

 

“Is it morning already? What are you doing here? Why didn’t you change your clothes?” Sungyeol yawns out, scratching his head.

 

“No, it’s two in the morning. But I need your help with something,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol lets his body fall on the couch, pretending to fall asleep again.

 

“Come on, I need your help,” Myungsoo repeats, shaking his shoulder.

 

Sungyeol buries his face deeper on the cushion of the couch and Myungsoo lets out a heavy sigh.

 

“I’ll pay you if you help me,” Myungsoo says causing Sungyeol to immediately sit up and look at him with wide eyes.

 

“Lee Sungyeol, at your service! How may I help you, director Kim?” Sungyeol cheers, smiling widely.

 

“I need you to take me to the famous clubs here in Jeju,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol stands up and squints his eyes at Myungsoo.

 

“Do you want to drug me and take advantage of me or something?” Sungyeol accuses.

 

“What the ? Of course not! I need to find my cousin! He’s a person who only knows how to have fun and I know that he never sleeps during this time. It’s either he’s flirting or he’s clubbing or both. Quickly wash your face and come down to the lobby. I’ll be getting my car,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol watches him walk away and sighs.

 

“If you’re not paying me, I’m not going to help you. I won’t even open my eyes for you. Tsk, ruining my beauty sleep…”

 

 

~ O ~

 

            Sungyeol looks over at Myungsoo as the latter drives them towards the party areas. He can’t help the giggle that escapes his lips and this caused Myungsoo’s attention to be averted to him. Myungsoo briefly glances at him and frowns.

 

“What are you giggling about?” Myungsoo bites out.

 

Sungyeol snorts and reaches over to poke Myungsoo’s cheek and effectively making the latter more annoyed at him.

 

“Your face is so funny. You’re always frowning no matter what. I think the only time that I saw you smile was when you welcomed the Chinese investors but then again, that was a very poor excuse for a smile. You looked constipated,” Sungyeol laughs.

 

Myungsoo does not respond and continues driving, frown getting deeper. There is silence between them for a few moments before Sungyeol snorts again.

 

“Are you mad, director Kim? I know that you’re insanely good-looking but please don’t frown too much!” Sungyeol continues.

 

He is, once again, met with Myungsoo’s silence and Sungyeol supposes that he got on the latter’s nerve already, so he immediately stops snorting and looks at Myungsoo apologetically.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to annoy you. It’s just that I think you’re going to look better if you smile more. I mean—“

 

“Can you please stop talking? I am this close into throwing you out of my car and let you get run over by other cars,” Myungsoo cuts in.

 

Sungyeol shuts his mouth and awkwardly looks away from Myungsoo. He should’ve known better than to get on the nerves of Kim Myungsoo. He is, after all, still going to pay him tonight. If he wants to get the money, he should just behave himself and not act as if he’s close to the young hotel director. 

 

Long moments pass with Myungsoo driving past establishments and hotels, getting deeper and deeper into the to-go places in Jeju. He is getting anxious if they’re already in their destination.

 

“Just because I asked you to shut up, doesn’t mean that you’re not going to tell me whether we reached the place or that you’re not going to give me directions,” Myungsoo says.

 

“In that case, go back about ten blocks and turn left…” Sungyeol says.

 

Myungsoo clicks his tongue and angrily turns his car around.

 

“You’re so annoying, Lee Sungyeol-shi, and I wish that this is the last time that I have to ask for your help on something,” Myungsoo says through gritted teeth.

 

Sungyeol chuckles silently and remains quiet until they reached their destination.

 

 

~ O ~

 

            Woohyun downs another bottle of some alcoholic drink, grinning as he feels the burn of the liquid travel from his mouth to his throat and finally down his stomach. He looks around him and searches for a potential date of the night but his surroundings are starting to get blurry and every girl that he looks at doesn’t appeal to him one bit. They all look the same to him and they’re all too ty, so Woohyun raises his hand and orders another drink to the bartender.

 

The bartender looks at him hesitantly before proceeding on making his drink and Woohyun scoffs.

 

“Why does everyone around me think that I cannot handle things?! I am a man! I am not a baby! I don’t need people looking after me! I can drink as much as I want! This is a bar!” Woohyun yells and the bartender stops making his drink to stare at him.

 

“Sir, I think you’ve had enough for tonight,” the bartender says.

 

Woohyun shakes his head.

 

“No, no, didn’t you hear what I said?! This is a bar! I can drink as much as I want! I’m paying so you should give me what I need!” Woohyun slurs, pointing at the bartender.

 

“I’ll give you the tab and get you a cab. It’ll be safer if you go now before you’re too drunk, sir.”

 

Woohyun stands up and slams his hand on the counter.

 

“Look, how many times do I have to tell you that this is a bar and I can drink as much as I please?! I don’t need someone looking after me! I am an adult! I—“

 

“Wooyoung-shi!”

 

Woohyun stops talking to the bartender as he hears the familiar voice to his right. He frowns and looks over only to see the nameless cutie approaching him.

 

“Cutie! You came to find me!” Woohyun says, walking towards him with a giddy smile.

 

“What are you doing here?” the nameless cutie asks, smiling widely at him.

 

“Well, duh, I am having fun. What else do people do in a…in a club?” Woohyun slurs, stumbling even though he’s just standing.

 

The nameless cutie steadies him, nervously laughing, and Woohyun rest his suddenly too heavy head on the latter’s shoulder.

 

“You smell good, cutie,” Woohyun mumbles.

 

“I think you had too much fun already, Wooyoung-shi…”

 

Woohyun removes his head from the other’s shoulder and looks at him with a pout.

 

“I can’t believe you got my name wrong even after I saved you from those men a while ago…my name’s Nam WooHYUN and can you take me home? I am in need of a warm bed to stay the night~” Woohyun says, looking at the nameless cutie with a giddy smile.

 

“S-sure, I can take you to your home. But I need to help my friend first,” nameless cutie says.

 

“You know, I can’t keep calling you nameless cutie in my mind. I need to know your name if you’re taking me home,” Woohyun says, stumbling again.

 

“I can’t give you my name, right? I—“

 

“Lee Sungyeol-shi! You found him!”

 

Woohyun squints as a figure appears behind nameless cutie named Lee Sungyeol.

 

“He’s your cousin?!” Sungyeol asks the figure.

 

“Yeah, he’s my cousin. My gosh, Woohyun, you’re so wasted.”

 

Woohyun frowns as he feels another set of hands steady him on his feet. He looks up and finds Kim Myungsoo standing in front of him.

 

“Myungsoo?” Woohyun asks, trying to keep his eyes from falling shut.

 

“Yes, it’s me. Sungyeol-ah, can you get Woohyun out of here? I’ll just pay for his tab,” Myungsoo instructs.

 

Woohyun smiles giddily as Sungyeol guides him out of the club. He nuzzles his face against the latter’s shoulder and giggles like a kid.

 

“So…your name’s Lee Sungyeol? It’s a cute name for a cutie like you,” Woohyun says.

 

“Woohyun-shi, if I take you home, can you let me sleep in your home?” Sungyeol asks.

 

“Of course, Yeollie. You can even sleep with me~ we can share the bed and I won’t mind at all,” Woohyun says.

 

“Oh my god, thank you! I can’t believe you’re cousins with Kim Myungsoo. You’re such a gentleman and he’s such a meanie!” Sungyeol says, not getting the implication of what Woohyun said.

 

“Of course, I am such a gentleman. I don’t like it rough…I won’t hurt you,” Woohyun slurs, wiggling his brows at Sungyeol.

 

Even before Sungyeol could reply, Myungsoo emerges from the bar and starts to drag his drunken cousin towards his parked car.

 

“Thank you for helping me find him, Sungyeol-shi. You can go now,” Myungsoo says.

 

“No, Sungyeollie will come home with me, Myungsoo-ah…You…You can go. Yeollie and I can just…take a cab,” Woohyun says, eyes closed.

 

“Yeah, I’m coming home with Woohyun~” Sungyeol brightens up.

 

Myungsoo rolls his eyes and looks at Sungyeol seriously.

 

“Look here, Sungyeol-shi, my cousin isn’t offering you a place to stay out of the kindness of his heart. When he’s offering to take you home, it means that he wants to…to sleep with you. He wants to bed you and I know that you’re not that kind of person, so run along now and I’ll take my cousin home,” Myungsoo says to Sungyeol.

 

“Hey, Sungyeol was the one who wanted to come with me!” Woohyun argues, drunkenly hitting Myungsoo’s chest.

 

Myungsoo sighs and slings Woohyun on his shoulder.

 

“Goodbye, Sungyeol-shi,” he says before he starts trudging off towards his car with a drunken Woohyun on his shoulder.

 

“Director Kim, you said that you’d pay me if I help you! Where’s my money?!” Sungyeol says, running after the pair.

 

“I’ll pay you tomorrow! Just drop by the hotel!” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol tries to protest but Myungsoo waves him off and drives away.

 

“Aish, you better pay me tomorrow for real!” Sungyeol shouts after the car.

 

 

~ O ~

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, Lee Sungyeol-shi, Director Kim just left! He has an emergency to attend to in Seoul. But, don’t worry, he left you something; wait for a while.”

 

Sungyeol sighs in relief when the receptionist told him that Myungsoo left something for him. He is starting to think that Myungsoo has runaway with no plans of paying for Sungyeol’s little favor last night and Sungyeol is starting to scheme in his mind of the things that he’s going to do to Myungsoo in order to torture him if he indeed ran away without leaving his money. Sungyeol is pulled out of his thoughts when the secretary returns with an envelope in her hands.

 

“Here you go, Sungyeol-shi,” the receptionist says.

 

Sungyeol flashes her a bright smile and thanks her before rummaging through the contents of the brown envelope. He squeals in delight when he sees that his plane ticket to Seoul is already in the envelope along with other travel documents. But he frowns when he sees that there is no money inside.

 

“Excuse me, miss?” Sungyeol says, still looking through the envelope.

 

“Yes, Sungyeol-shi?” the receptionist asks.

 

“Ah, are you sure that there’s nothing more? Did he only leave these?” Sungyeol asks.

 

“I’m afraid so. He was in a hurry when he left and he just reminded me to give this to you…if you need anything else from him, maybe you could still catch him in the airport. You only missed him by a few minutes anyway.”

 

Sungyeol looks at her with wide eyes before bolting out of the hotel to make a run for the airport.

 

 

            When he gets to the entrance of the airport, he is a sweaty mess but as he looks around, he fixes himself and calmly walks in. He successfully goes past the guards and walks straight towards the check in counter of the flight to Seoul. It doesn’t take long before Sungyeol’s wide eye catches the sight of Myungsoo. The man is walking towards the boarding area so Sungyeol quickens his pace.

 

“Director Kim!” Sungyeol calls out, running towards the man.

 

Myungsoo continues walking, not hearing Sungyeol because of the phone pressed firmly against his left ear.

 

“I am getting on the plane right now. Prepare the car and—“

 

“Director Kim Myungsoo!”

 

Myungsoo turns around when he feels a hand on his shoulder. Frowning, Myungsoo ends the call and stares at Sungyeol.

 

“What are you doing here? I left your ticket to Seoul in the hotel,” Myungsoo asks.

 

Sungyeol pants, trying to catch his breath but the impatience on the other’s face makes him speak quickly.

 

“My…money, you didn’t leave the money to the receptionist!” Sungyeol pants.

 

“Money? Sungyeol, I’m in a hurry right now. I’ll give you your money when I get back tomorrow,” Myungsoo says, starting to leave again but Sungyeol stops him again.

 

“You said that last night! You can just give me the money and I would never show up in front of you again!” Sungyeol argues.

 

“I told you! I would give it to you! Just not now, I’m in a hurry!”

 

Sungyeol stops him and looks at him seriously.

 

“Aish, we’re both in a hurry, so to cut the time short, why don’t you just give it to me now?!”

 

Myungsoo glares at him and realizes that the latter is not going to let him go, so with a sigh, he takes out his wallet and takes out a few notes before slapping it on Sungyeol’s open hands. Sungyeol is surprised at how Myungsoo gave him the money, so he doesn’t have the time to react when the notes fall down on the ground. Myungsoo scoffs at him and starts to walk away. Sungyeol’s blood boils at the attitude of the latter, so without picking up the money, he stops him once again.

 

“Director Kim, I was really nice to you and then you treat me like crap right now? You’re going to regret…” Sungyeol says sternly.

 

Myungsoo clicks his tongue and harshly yanks his wrist out of Sungyeol’s grasp.

 

“I don’t have time to bother with you right now, so stop bugging me!” Myungsoo hisses.

 

Sungyeol shakes his head as he watches Myungsoo walks away. But he is not letting the man go that easily after he treated him that way. Lee Sungyeol is no beggar and Kim Myungsoo should learn not to treat him like that.

 

“Please! Don’t go!” Sungyeol yells dramatically.

 

Myungsoo stops in his tracks and looks back at Sungyeol with a frown that deepens when Sungyeol fakes a sob behind his hand.

 

“What am I going to do without you?! You can’t just leave me like this!” Sungyeol cries out.

 

Myungsoo’s frown turns into confusion as Sungyeol continues. The people are starting to look at them and he is frozen on the spot.

 

“Have you forgotten your promise to me? Have you forgotten how you promised that we would live together and grow old together near the ocean?” Sungyeol sobs out.

 

If he doesn’t know anything, Myungsoo would admit that Sungyeol is quite good in acting. The people are already starting to whisper among themselves, probably already being convinced by Sungyeol’s act.

 

“How could you do this to me? Now I know why my mother warned me about city boys like you! I should have known!”

 

Sungyeol is in tears now and Myungsoo’s eyes widens, hearing the whispers from the growing crowd around them. He squirms on his spot but he can only look at Sungyeol as the latter continues to act exceptionally well. Sungyeol sobs out and falls on the ground, pitifully gathering the notes that fell a while ago.

 

“Just go if you want to go…I’ll…I’ll take care of our baby alone…” Sungyeol sobs out, caressing his stomach.

 

What the , Lee Sungyeol?! You’re not even a woman and you believe these people to believe your pathetic theatrical skit?!

 

Myungsoo’s jaw drops as the people actually look at Sungyeol pitifully as if they really believe the nonsense that he’s spewing out. Sungyeol continues to sob before standing up and running away out of the airport with a wail. Myungsoo is left frozen on his spot, eyes twitching at the dirty looks that the people are giving him. But when his nerves are starting to calm down, Myungsoo laughs disbelievingly at what Sungyeol just did but his laugh immediately dies down when an elder woman stands in front of him and glares.

 

“How can you laugh like that when you’re leaving that poor girl?! Even if she doesn’t have s-lines and she sounds like a dying wale, you shouldn’t have abandoned her!” the elder says.

 

Myungsoo blinks and watches the woman walk away while muttering things about kids these days. The lady is already gone but the people are still looking at him and whispering.

 

“How can he abandon his wife and child just like that?!”

 

“Did you see the look on her face a while ago while gathering the money? Tsk, I bet this bastard thought that money could fix that damage he had done…”

 

“He’s not even a girl!” Myungsoo bursts out.

 

The people look even more outraged at the outburst of Myungsoo. Giving up, Myungsoo walks away and decides that Lee Sungyeol deserves an Oscar Award for best actor for that little skit that made Kim Myungsoo look like a bastard.

 

~ O ~

 

            The woman frowns and looks at the picture that Myungsoo gives her. It is a group picture taken decades ago and in the picture, Myungsoo’s cousin is present along with Myungsoo’s aunt and uncle. Howon recently found the picture and immediately contacted one of the survivors that he recently found. This is the emergency that Myungsoo needs to attend to. If this picture and this survivor can answer all of his questions, then he cannot wait for another day.

 

The woman scans the picture with her dull eyes and nods.  

 

“Yes, this was taken on the night before the earthquake. It was thanksgiving night and everyone in the village was full of happiness. But the next day, the tragedy came and wiped away almost everyone in our village. Some bodies weren’t even found…that includes my daughter, Jieun,” she says, looking over to her right where a picture frame of a young lady is displayed.

 

“I am sorry for your lost,” Myungsoo says, bowing respectively.

 

The woman shakes her head and looks down.

 

“It’s okay. Her body wasn’t found and I like to believe that she’s alive somewhere in this world,” she smiles.

 

“But this picture…right here, the man in the corner is really close to your aunt and uncle. He is a fellow Korean and he has a son who’s about the age of your lost cousin,” the woman says.

 

Myungsoo eagerly leans on the table to listen more closely.

 

“D-do you know his name?” Howon asks.

 

The woman shakes her head and looks apologetically at them.

 

“I am not very close with him. He is quite distant with the other villagers and he only speaks to the family of your aunt. However, I remember that his son has a very bright personality unlike his father. He was loved by all the villagers,” the woman says.

 

“Did the man and his son survive the earthquake?” Myungsoo asks.

 

“Yes, I am certain that the two of them survived the earthquake. I am certain,” the woman says.

 

“You said that his son was loved by all of the people in the village. What’s the name of his son?” Myungsoo eagerly says.

 

The woman shakes her head and tearfully looks at Myungsoo.

 

“I really cannot remember much about the names of the people in the village. I have memories of them but my brain cannot link these memories and faces to names anymore, I am very sorry.”

 

The woman bows to Myungsoo and stands up to leave. Myungsoo is left on his chair as Howon escorts the woman out of the office. All of their efforts in finding his lost cousin are getting more and more useless as time passes by.

 

“I’m sorry, director Kim. I didn’t mean to make you come all the way to Seoul for nothing,” Howon says, reappearing beside Myungsoo.

 

Myungsoo shakes his head and looks up at him.

 

“It’s not your fault. I am getting frustrated with how things are turning out. It’s like there’s a cycle. One moment, we’re going to find some good material that we could use to look for them then the next, we always find ourselves in another dead end.”

 

Myungsoo sighs.

 

“If my cousin is alive, he might be somewhere in Japan…if he’s alive,” Myungsoo says.

 

“Are you thinking that he’s dead? Are you giving up?” Howon asks.

 

Myungsoo stares in space for a long time before shaking his head.

 

“Even if it gets as hard as this…I’m not going to give up because giving up on my cousin means that I’m giving up on grandfather. I don’t want to fail him,” Myungsoo says.

 

“Even if he’s a fake and not really my cousin, I would want grandfather to see him…”

 

Howon’s eyes widen.

 

“Are you saying that you’re taking up my offer of just hiring someone to be your cousin, director Kim?”

 

Myungsoo looks up at Howon and sighs dejectedly.

 

“Even if I find someone who looks like my aunt to play as my fake cousin, no one can lie to grandfather. He cannot be deceived because he knows everything,” Myungsoo says.

 

Howon nods and looks down on his lap.

 

“Of course.”

 

 

~ O ~

 

            A scream escapes from Sungyeol’s mouth as someone roughly grabs him by the arm causing him to drop his phone.

 

“Long time no see.”

 

Sungyeol gasps when he sees that it’s one of the loan shark’s men. He tries to free himself but the man is stronger and another hand grabs him from behind and starts dragging him towards a black van.

 

“Let me go! Help! I’m being kidnapped!” Sungyeol screams, but the people ignore him.

 

He tries to struggle away from the hold of the men but they are too strong.

 

“Let me go or I will scream for the cops!” Sungyeol yells.

 

“Shut up!”

 

Sungyeol’s eyes widens as he sees a fist coming towards his face.

 

The next thing that he knows is being dragged out of the same van and into some abandoned building. There is a throbbing ache in his head and he knows that his face probably has a bruise from the punch that knocked him out.

 

“You’re going to pay for bruising my pretty face!” Sungyeol yells when the men throw him on the ground.

 

“You’re the one who needs to pay us, pretty.”

 

Sungyeol turns his attention to the direction of the voice and his heart sinks when he sees that it’s the loan shark. Sungyeol whimpers as the loan shark walks menacingly to him, eyes raking up and down his body. The loan shark squats down in front of Sungyeol with a smirk. Sungyeol frowns when the loan shark holds his face and inspects it.

 

“Tsk, tsk, look at what you did to his pretty face,” the loan shark says.

 

Sungyeol avoids his eyes, breathing heavily as his heart hammers against his ribcage.

 

This is it, Lee Sungyeol. You’re going to die this way.

 

“Give me his bag,” the loan shark orders.

 

Once the bag is in his hands, he opens it and empties it, contents falling on the ground in front of Sungyeol. With his fat hands, the loan sharks inspects all of the things inside the bag until his attention is caught by a golden calling card. He raises it up to his face and starts to read.

 

“Kim Myungsoo…director of Woollim Hotels and Resorts…”

 

Sungyeol’s eyes widens as he hears the name of Kim Myungsoo being read. He gets an idea.

 

“That is the reason why you’re going to pay for bruising my pretty face! He’s my rich boyfriend who’s going to pay for my debts. If he sees my face like this, you’re not only going to kiss your money goodbye but you’re also going behind bars!” Sungyeol says.

 

The one of the loan shark’s men looks at him and thumps his head.

 

“Ya, do you think that we’re fools? Why would the director of a big hotel be even interested in you?!” he says.

 

Sungyeol pouts and looks down.

 

“If he’s really you’re boyfriend, you should call him then,” the loan shark says.

 

“I dropped my phone when your hooligans roughly grabbed me and my boyfriend doesn’t answer calls from unknown numbers,” Sungyeol says.

 

The loan shark suspiciously raises an eyebrow.

 

“He’s on a business trip right now and he’s coming back tomorrow. If you want…you can come with me when I fetch him to the airport and then you’ll see that he really is my boyfriend,” Sungyeol lies.

 

“Alright, we’re going to keep you here for tonight and we’ll come with you to the airport tomorrow. If we prove that you’re lying, I’m going to destroy you.”

 

Sungyeol gulps and nods his head.

 

 

~ O ~

 

            The loan shark and one of his hooligans are standing on each side of Sungyeol as they wait in the airport for Myungsoo’s arrival. They have been waiting for about an hour and there’s still no sign of Kim Myungsoo. The loan shark is starting to get impatient and Sungyeol is starting to get nervous. If Kim Myungsoo doesn’t show up, he’s going to be done for.

 

“We’ve been waiting here for almost an hour and your lover is not yet here! Are you really telling the truth or are you just waiting for an opportunity to runaway again?” the loan shark says.

 

Sungyeol shakes his head and looks towards the gates again but this time his eyes find Kim Myungsoo emerging from them with an unknown man.

 

“He’s here. Please wait,” Sungyeol says.

 

The loan shark nods and watches Sungyeol walk over to Myungsoo.

 

“Director Kim, welcome back,” Sungyeol says, smiling at Myungsoo.

 

“What are you doing here? Are you going to put on a show again? Is the money not enough for your services?” Myungsoo says grumpily.

 

Sungyeol pouts and looks down.

 

“A-about that…I am so sorry for putting on a ridiculous show and for embarrassing you in front of the people. I didn’t mean anything bad when I mentioned the baby,” Sungyeol says, glancing at the loan shark who is trying to eavesdrop.

 

“As long as you’re sorry, then I forgive you. But don’t show up in front of me ever again.”

 

With that, Myungsoo turns away from Sungyeol and starts to leave. The loan shark runs to Sungyeol.

 

“What is that all about?! You have a baby with him?! You’re a guy, right?!” the loan shark says.

 

Sungyeol knows that the loan shark is intimidating but he’s still pretty stupid and gullible so Sungyeol decides to push his luck a little.

 

“Please don’t mention about my pregnancy to the other people. It’s miserable enough that I am born like this…I don’t need them judging me especially now that Myungsoo and I are having a problem,” Sungyeol says.

 

Sungyeol walks after Myungsoo and catches him by the hand before he enters his awaiting car.

 

“Kim Myungsoo, you can leave me like this, but please don’t forget the good memories that we shared. No matter what, just know that I’m very grateful that I’ve met you and that I’m very sorry. I am very, very sorry,” Sungyeol says, looking at Myungsoo with his wide owl eyes.

 

“I told you, you’re forgiven as long as you don’t show up in front of me again,” Myungsoo says, removing his hand from Sungyeol’s.

 

Sungyeol stumbles as Myungsoo enters the car and drives away from the airport. He knows that the loan shark is watching him so, he holds his head and falls on the ground dramatically.

 

“Ya, what happened?! What did he say?!” the loan shark says, helping Sungyeol up.

 

“He said that there is no reason for the two of us to meet anymore because I am a freak and he cannot accept me,” Sungyeol lies.

 

“Then what about the money?” the loan shark asks.

 

Sungyeol sighs dramatically and wills his eyes to get teary.

 

“He told me that he’s going to give me money…he wanted me to take the money and get lost,” Sungyeol says.

 

“That’s good then, take the money and raise the baby well…take care of yourself. You don’t need a bastard like him,” the loan shark says, looking genuinely affected.

 

Sungyeol looks at him disbelievingly.

 

“This man’s really stupid…he’s believing that a man could get pregnant?!” Sungyeol mumbles.

 

“What did you say?” the loan shark asks kindly.

 

“N-nothing…I said that I’ll pay you as soon as he gives me money,” Sungyeol says.

 

“No, don’t worry about that. Just take the money and be healthy for the baby. We’ll deal with him and get our money personally,” the loan shark says.

 

Sungyeol’s eyes widen for a moment but the loan shark is patting his head fondly, so he pretends to sob.

 

“Thank you…thank you so much for your kindness. I will never forget this.”

 

~ O ~

 

“That boy from the airport really looks like your aunt, director Kim, especially his owl eyes. They resemble hers so much.”

 

Myungsoo tilts his head to the side, looking at Howon with confusion.

 

“What?” Myungsoo says.

 

“Don’t you think so? I saw her graduation pictures and the boy really resembles her a lot,” Howon says.

 

“Lee Sungyeol? It’s such an insult that a person like Lee Sungyeol looks like my aunt who is the purest person I’ve ever met,” Myungsoo says.

 

Howon bows apologetically.

 

“Sorry, I was just awed by how much he resembles her…after all, you are considering my offer to hire someone who can be your fake cousin. He could be the perfect match. But like what you said, it’s impossible to fool your grandfather,” Howon says.

 

Myungsoo doesn’t get the chance to respond when the door of his office suddenly opens and Nam Woohyun comes in, announcing his arrival noisily.

 

“Hey, hey, hey, Myungsoo-yah!” Woohyun says, bouncing on the couch in front of Myungsoo’s desk.

 

Howon takes his leave and Myungsoo walks towards his cousin who is opening the plastic bags that he brought in with him.

 

“What are you doing here, Woohyun hyung?” Myungsoo asks, sitting in front of Woohyun.

 

“Ya, I just dropped by so we could eat pizza together and maybe catch up a little! You’ve been so busy lately and I can’t stand how thin you’ve become!” Woohyun says.

 

Myungsoo remains quiet as Woohyun hands him a slice of pizza.

 

“Where were you yesterday? I came here to have a drink with you but your secretary said you had an emergency to attend to,” Woohyun says.

 

“I came to Seoul because we found another lead to my lost cousin…but it was fruitless again,” Myungsoo sighs.

 

“I can’t believe that you’re actually still looking for that lost cousin of yours, Myungsoo, and I know that you even went to Japan again to look for him, right?! If you went there, you should’ve at least brought home a look alike!”

 

Myungsoo frowns at Woohyun and takes a bite of his pizza.

 

“You know I can’t do that,” Myungsoo says.

 

“I know you cannot, you’re too perfect to do that,” Woohyun scoffs.

 

Myungsoo shakes his head at his annoying cousin.

 

“By the way, where is Lee Sungyeol?” Woohyun suddenly asks making Myungsoo choke on his food.

 

“Why are you looking for him?” Myungsoo asks, frowning.

 

“He’s cute. Oh, unless he’s yours?” Woohyun says.

 

“No, I would never have a relationship with someone like him. It’s an insult that you’re even thinking of us being linked that way,” Myungsoo says.

 

Woohyun looks at him disbelievingly.

 

“Ya, you know that guy’s really cute! How can you speak of him in that manner? If you don’t want him, then I’ll take him. Do you have his number?” Woohyun says.

 

“No, I don’t. Ya, what are you still doing here? You’re supposed to return to Seoul, right? Auntie Nam said that if you don’t come home to Seoul today, she’s going to personally fetch you,” Myungsoo threatens.

 

Woohyun’s eyes widen and he drops the slice of pizza that he’s holding. He looks at Myungsoo and blinks.

 

“She did?” Woohyun asks.

 

“Yes, she did and I think she’s not bluffing. You better hop on that flight if you don’t want your mom to fetch you here and cause a scene, Woohyun hyung.”

 

Myungsoo enjoys how Woohyun’s face scrunches into an irritated expression.

 

“Fine, I’ll go now. I need to catch that freaking flight.”

 

Myungsoo chews on his pizza and amusingly watches Woohyun walking out of his office in a hurry. Indeed, even though Nam Woohyun is all grown up and breaking hearts, he’s still scared of his mother like before.

 

Myungsoo is about to continue eating the pizza that Woohyun brought but the door of his office bursts open and about five men in black march in.

 

“Who are you? Do we have an appointment?” Myungsoo asks.

 

One of them walks towards him and looks down on him, trying to intimidate Myungsoo but is failing.

 

“I am Jung Jungwoo and we’re here to get the money that your lover’s father owe us,” Jongwoo says.

 

Myungsoo blinks.

 

“What are you talking about?” Myungsoo asks.

 

The loan shark laughs and sits on Woohyun’s previous spot on the couch opposite him.

 

“Look here, I am a serious person and I don’t have time to fool around with you. The man in the airport a while ago that you heartlessly abandoned, his father owes us a lot and he said that you’re going to give him money just for him to leave you alone. Tsk, he was going to use that to pay for their debts to us but I can’t stand him living without money while he is pregnant with your child, you bastard, so I’m asking you to pay. Come on, pay up now,” the loan shark says.

 

Myungsoo sighs. Why does Lee Sungyeol always manage to bring him trouble no matter where he is?

 

“That man is not my lover,” Myungsoo says, trying to calm his rage.

 

“Ya, don’t lie! I saw your love right in front of my eyes and I also saw how you discarded him and your baby like trash!” the loan shark yells.

 

“Lee Sungyeol and I are in now way romantically connected. I just hired him to be the translator and tour guide for our foreign investors. Other than that, I don’t have anything to do with him. Also, aren’t you being too gullible? You actually believed that he’s pregnant? What world are you from? He’s obviously a guy. Sorry to pop your bubble, but you have been deceived. Now, get out of my office before I call the police,” Myungsoo says, glaring at the loan shark.

 

The loan shark blinks and sputters but he cannot find the words to reply. He points at Myungsoo and finally speaks.

 

“If…If I find out that you are lying, then I’m going to come here everyday and threaten you!” the loan shark stutters.

 

Myungsoo nods and dismissively waves them off. When the loan shark and his men are out of his office, Myungsoo shakes his head and realizes how amusing all of this is.

 

“Lee Sungyeol, you even fooled the loan sharks…you are indeed a thick-skinned swindler…you can fool everyone,” Myungsoo scoffs, laughing disbelievingly.

 

He stands up to clear away the box of pizza but he stops in his tracks when he realizes something.

 

If Sungyeol can fool those notorious loan sharks, he could probably fool grandfather as well and him looking like auntie can help him.

 

Myungsoo thinks back to the time when Sungyeol said that he’s been to a lot of places so he knows a lot of languages. His lost cousin could’ve been adopted by foreign families and would have to learn their language.

 

Lee Sungyeol is perfect for this job.

 

Myungsoo shakes his head and loosens up his tie.

 

No, I cannot do this to grandfather.

 

But time is running out and his grandfather has been hospitalized earlier this morning because of too much stress and is only looking for his grandson as he tries to fight for his life.

 

Making a rash decision, Myungsoo digs through his pocket for his wallet and retrieves Sungyeol’s business card. He takes out his phone and dials the number.

 

“The number you dialed is out of coverage.”

 

Myungsoo tries again but the phone operator gives him the same response, so he calls Howon instead.

 

“Find Lee Sungyeol.”

 

~ O ~

 

            Sungyeol smiles as he serves the dishes to the costumer. This is his new life now. He’s finally out of Jeju Island and is safe in Seoul. Well, that is until the loan shark finds out the truth from Kim Myungsoo. If the loan shark decides that Sungyeol is worth running after for, then he might have to flee from Seoul again. Sungyeol sighs, knowing that he’s never going to live a normal life until he pays for the debt.

 

“Ahjussi! Can you give me more pickled carrots over here?!”

 

“Y-yeah, wait a minute!” Sungyeol cheerfully says.

 

He turns to go to the kitchen and his face immediately turns sour.

 

“Ahjussi?! Who’s an ahjussi?! Does he think that I’m older that him?! Aish, annoying people! If I don’t need this job I wouldn’t have put up with this ignorant.”

 

Sungyeol turns back towards the table with a smile as he carries the pickled carrot in one hand.

 

“Here you go! Eat well!” Sungyeol says, placing the plate on the table.

 

Upon hearing the door of the restaurant open, Sungyeol turns towards it to welcome the new customer but he stops when he sees who it is.

 

“K-Kim Myungsoo-shi?” Sungyeol says, eyes wide.

 

“Lee Sungyeol-shi,” Myungsoo nods.

 

“What are you doing here?” Sungyeol asks, taking a step back.

 

“Can you spare me a few minutes of your time? I need to tell you something,” Myungsoo says, stepping closer towards Sungyeol.

 

“I-I don’t have t-time until midnight. I am in the middle of my job,” Sungyeol says, scared that Myungsoo came here to get back at Sungyeol for sending the hooligans after him.

 

Myungsoo sighs.

 

“It would just be quick, come on.”

 

Without waiting for a reply from Sungyeol, Myungsoo grabs him by the wrist and drags him out of the restaurant despite his protests. When they are a good distance away from the restaurant chains and people, Myungsoo finally lets go of his wrist and stops dragging him.

 

“What are you doing?! Why did you bring me here?!” Sungyeol yells.

 

Myungsoo does not respond and is looking at Sungyeol intently. He walks around Sungyeol, eyeing him from head to toe. When he stops again in front of Sungyeol, he reaches out his hand and traces every feature of Sungyeol’s face, lingering at the lips.

 

“You really do look like her,” Myungsoo muses.

 

Sungyeol pushes him away and frowns.

 

“Who?! What are you planning to do to me?!” Sungyeol says, defensively hugging his torso as if Myungsoo is some ert.

 

“Lee Sungyeol-shi…please help me with a personal matter,” Myungsoo says, still looking at Sungyeol intently.

 

Sungyeol’s eyes widen and he’s about to say something but Myungsoo continues.

 

“I hope you can help me with your talent.”

 

“Talent? Wh-what talent?” Sungyeol asks, heart drumming against his ribcage.

 

Is Kim Myungsoo going to assault me?!

 

“You’re not going to lose anything. In fact you’re even going to gain a lot. The pay would be really high. How about that?” Myungsoo says.

 

“What are you talking about? What talent?” Sungyeol presses.

 

“Lying.”

 

Sungyeol gasps and thumps Myungsoo’s head.

 

“Ya! Are you insulting me?! I won’t help you if I don’t know what you need to lie about!” Sungyeol says.

 

He starts to walk away but Myungsoo grabs him by the arm.

 

“Please be my lost cousin. Be my lost cousin.”

 

Author’s Notes: I am back with a monster chapter! It’s almost 9k I think and yeah, sorry for the delay! My new schedule really ! I have classes until the evening and I don’t know how to manage it and pull through with the assignments. I feel like I can’t breathe. But anyway, thanks for the upvotes and the subscriptions!! I really appreciate your comments as well! See you next time!