008: GRANDFATHER

My Owl

008:

GRANDFATHER

 

            Myungsoo runs after Sungyeol and luckily, he catches him before the elevator doors open.

 

“Why are you so scared after finding out that my grandfather is the president of the hotel?! Just like what I said, it wouldn’t make any difference, Sungyeol-shi. You already lied to me before,” Myungsoo says, holding Sungyeol in place to prevent him from escaping.

 

Sungyeol tries to struggle free but when he realizes that Myungsoo is not letting him go any time soon, he glares up at him and speaks.

 

“You’re not just the ordinary type of rich people, Kim Myungsoo. Your grandfather practically owns a hotel empire and if the lie gets found out, I’m going to be sued and be labeled as a swindler. Everyone’s going to judge me and think that I’m a bad person. I can’t risk letting my father see what I’ve become,” Sungyeol says, fiercely through his eyes.

 

Myungsoo scoffs and shakes his head in disbelief.

 

“It’s impossible to see through these lies, Sungyeol. If it does, then it’s going to be my problem to solve since I was the one who initiated the lie! There wouldn’t be any problem,” Myungsoo says.

 

“That’s what I’m saying, Myungsoo-shi! As the grandson of this family, your sins are going to be forgiven by your grandfather and you’re going to live on as if nothing happens. But me, I’m nothing and all the blame would eventually be put on me,” Sungyeol reasons out.

 

“Is the mighty thick-skinned Lee Sungyeol worrying about these kinds of things now? From what I remember, you cheated and lied without thinking of the consequences whenever the situation calls for it. Are you just making a scene like this so I would raise the price on you?! How much do you want, huh? How much are you selling yourself this time, Lee Sungyeol?!” Myungsoo says and he shakes Sungyeol at the process.

 

Sungyeol struggles against Myungsoo’s grip and when he’s finally free, he puts in all of his might as he throws a slap across the latter’s cheek. He scoffs as Myungsoo looks back at him in surprise.

 

“I’m only going to tell you this once and you better listen hard, Director Kim Myungsoo,” Sungyeol starts, tears beginning to trickle down his cheeks.

 

“Not everybody is born rich like you. Not everyone is fortunate to grow up sheltered behind high-gated communities like you. Unlike you, I had no choice but to do every possible job in order to have food on the table and a roof over my head. I had no choice but to become like this in order to survive! I may have been a thick-skinned swindler in your eyes and I might look like I would do anything for money but remember this, Kim Myungsoo, I would never lie to my family unlike you.”

 

Sungyeol takes in a shaky breath as he wipes his face with the back of his sleeve before walking away, leaving a dumbfounded Myungsoo alone in the dark parking lot.  

 

~ O ~

 

            Sungyeol walks out of the hospital and slowly makes his way to shed to wait for a cab. He tries to control his sobs in order to breathe properly but his tears just won’t stop. He hiccups as he covers his mouth, thinking of all the painful words that Kim Myungsoo said to him just a few moments ago.

 

How much are you selling yourself this time, Lee Sungyeol?

 

More sobs are coming out of Sungyeol’s mouth and his thoughts are in a mess. He doesn’t know what to do at the moment because a part of him is so hurt and mad at Myungsoo for thinking of him like that but at the same time, a part of him thinks of all the times when Myungsoo let him off the hook for his antics and to top it all, he indeed paid for his father’s debt. If it isn’t for him paying up the debt, Sungyeol would have been dead in the streets by now or the loan sharks would’ve ceased him. But the hurtful words are still ringing through his mind.

 

On the other hand, he thinks back on the conversation he had with Myungsoo about his grandfather.

 

He is critically sick, so you won’t have to talk to him that much. It’s his last wish to see his grandson…I wouldn’t want to disappoint him for the last time.

 

 

 

            Myungsoo looks at the doctor as he checks his grandfather’s vital signs. After returning from the parking lot, Howon urgently informed him that his grandfather is conscious. Now that he’s in the room, he could see that his grandfather is indeed conscious but his condition doesn’t look any better.

 

“The patient is conscious for now…but no matter what, you have to be emotionally prepared,” the doctor softly says to him before leaving the room.

 

Myungsoo miserably looks at his grandfather who has his eyes closed and is struggling to breathe. He lets a few tears fall from his eyes at the thought that he won’t be able to fulfill his last wish.

 

“Myungsoo…where is he? Where…is your lost…cousin?  Where…is…my…grandson?” Grandfather suddenly heaves out, looking at Myungsoo with tired eyes.

 

Myungsoo takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. He shakes his head as he reaches out for his grandfather’s hand.

 

“Grandfather, that boy…my cousin…he’s…”

 

Myungsoo cannot bring himself to say those words and break his grandfather’s heart at his last moments but he has to do it in order for his grandfather to be free.

 

“Grandfather…”

 

But even before Myungsoo could bring himself to say those words, he hears the door behind him opening and closing. He looks back at the sound of light footsteps only to see Lee Sungyeol standing at the doorway. His wide eyes are red and puffy as they stare at Myungsoo who gapes back in response. Sungyeol gives him a small smile and a nod.

 

“Myungsoo-ah…is that boy…is…is he…” Grandfather says looking at Sungyeol.

 

“Yes, grandfather. He’s aunt Chaerin’s son. I have found him,” Myungsoo says, turning back to his grandfather.

 

Sungyeol looks down on the floor and thinks that there is really no turning back now. The lie had been started. When he hears faint crying from the bed, Sungyeol looks up to see Myungsoo’s grandfather looking at him longingly as he shed some tears. He hesitantly approaches the old man.

 

“Grandfather, I am your lost grandson and I came here to see you…I came here to see you,” Sungyeol says causing Grandfather to cry harder.

 

The man reaches out his hand towards him and Sungyeol grasps it affectionately.

 

“Grandfather, now that you’ve seen me…you can’t leave us anymore. Please don’t be sick anymore and get well real soon. I don’t want you to die, grandfather,” Sungyeol says, tears b at his own eyes.

 

Grandfather takes a deep breath and looks at Sungyeol intensely.

 

“I…am so grateful…that…you’re alive. Thank you…for…for being…alive,” Grandfather says, more tears falling from his eyes.

 

“G-Grandfather,” Sungyeol calls out but Grandfather continues to shed tears and heave out.

 

“Myungsoo-ah…” he calls out.

 

Myungsoo walks forward to look at his grandfather.

 

“Thank you…for finding…your little cousin…Now, I…have…no regrets and…rest in…peace. Thank you…Myungsoo-ah,” Grandfather says.

 

The old man takes a deep breath before his eyes closes and his head falls on the side. Sungyeol stares in shock through his tears.

 

“Grandfather?” Myungsoo asks when his grandfather stays completely still even after a few seconds.

 

Sungyeol stares at grandfather wide-eyed and with his mouth gaping. He blinks for a few times and looks closer.

 

“Grandfather?!” Myungsoo worriedly calls out and when there is still no response, he sobs and falls on his knees beside his grandfather’s bed.

 

He continues to sob as he clutches on grandfather’s hand and after a while he feels a hand tapping his shoulder.

 

“E-excuse me…hello? Myungsoo-shi…excuse me…” he hears Sungyeol speaking.

 

Myungsoo looks up at him through his tears and Sungyeol slowly points at somewhere.

 

“I think the lines on the thing have to be flat and it has to go beeeeeeeeeeep in order to indicate that he dead. I think he’s just sleeping, so don’t disturb him,” Sungyeol points out.

 

Myungsoo blinks and looks at the heart monitor only to see that it’s still beating like it should and the waves are still going up and down. He looks up at Sungyeol who smiles at him through his teary eyes and Myungsoo sighs, shaking his head at how stupid and dramatic he was.

 

Myungsoo stands up and gestures for Sungyeol to follow him to the small living room in the room. As soon as they are seated on the couch, Sungyeol immediately feels the awkward atmosphere. Myungsoo won’t look at him and he keeps on rubbing his nape so he decides that he should break the ice instead.

 

“I-It’s a relief that he’s past the critical stage now,” Sungyeol says, awkwardly laughing.

 

Myungsoo nods but still won’t look at him.

 

“Director Kim, you must’ve been shaken up by today’s events, so rest well.”

 

Sungyeol stands up and starts to walk out to get coffee but he stops when Myungsoo calls out for him.

 

“Yes?” Sungyeol asks.

 

“Th-Thank you…and I’m s-sorry,” Myungsoo says, still not looking at him but Sungyeol smiles at those words.

 

“I know, director Kim.”

 

Sungyeol skips on his way towards the coffee machine as soon as he gets out of the room, thinking of how good it feels for something good to finally come out of his lying.

 

“Ah, as expected, you did a good job, Lee Sungyeol. To make cold and heartless Kim Myungsoo sorry and grateful to you at the same time is impressive,” Sungyeol says to himself as he makes his way back to the room with the coffee cups in his hands.

 

“Director Kim! I brought coffee!” Sungyeol silently cheers as he walks towards the couch but he stops in his tracks when he sees Myungsoo dozing off with his head bowed down and his arms crossed in front of his chest.

 

“Aigoo, falling asleep right after being relieved from trouble? Aish, I kind of wanted to hear you thanking me more and apologizing,” Sungyeol says.

 

He shakes his head and takes a seat on the space beside Myungsoo. He takes a sip of his coffee and decides that it would be interesting to look at Myungsoo’s features.

 

“Hm, eyes and mouth perfectly close with no trace of drool. You’re not even snoring. Aish, were you trained to look cool and perfect even when you’re sleeping? You could’ve been my type if you weren’t such an to me…”

 

~ O ~

 

            Myungsoo wakes up to the blinding sun piercing through the windows. He groans a little and tries to stretch his arms but he finds himself unable to do so when he feels a heavy thing on his shoulder. He opens his eyes and looks over to his side to find Sungyeol’s head cradled on his shoulder. He sighs and pushes the head away as he stands up. Sungyeol falls on the couch in an uncomfortable looking position and Myungsoo tries to ignore it. But thinking of how much Sungyeol made his grandfather happy yesterday, he just couldn’t. Myungsoo removes his coat and puts it top of Sungyeol’s body. He adjusts the latter’s position into a more comfortable one.

 

Myungsoo stares as Sungyeol stirs for a little white before settling again with his mouth hanging open and eyes a little open as well.

 

“Eyes and mouth slightly open as you drool and snore like a construction worker. Were you trained to look uncool and unappealing even if you’re sleeping?” Myungsoo scoffs to himself before walking out of the door to talk to his grandfather’s doctor.

 

The doctor happily greets him when he enters his office and immediately takes out an envelope. He hands the papers to Myungsoo and excitedly explains what’s written on them.

 

“The test that we performed on him showed that he’s finally past the danger zone. His health is going to get much better if he continues to show the strong will to live that he showed last night,” the doctor says.

 

“He…he’s completely out of the critical zone?” Myungsoo asks, eyes still disbelieving from what he just heard.

 

“Yes, Myungsoo-shi. He’s going to be fine. We’re going to do another test on him to further look into his condition but at the moment, it would be best for you to continue doing whatever it is that you’re doing in order to encourage him to live on because it’s definitely working,” the doctor says.

 

“I understand. Thank you very much, doctor,” Myungsoo says standing up and shaking the doctor’s hand before walking out.

 

“How is president Kim’s condition?” Howon asks as soon as Myungsoo goes out.

 

“He’s out of the critical zone, so I don’t think that we have anything to worry about for now,” Myungsoo says.

 

Howon smiles and nods his head.

 

“Showing him Sungyeol-shi really helped motivate him to live on. If seeing him one time already had this kind of effect on president Kim, I wonder what more will happen in the coming days,” Howon says.

 

“Book a flight to Japan for Sungyeol tomorrow,” Myungsoo suddenly says.

 

“But what about president Kim? He’s going to look for Sungyeol-shi,” Howon says.

 

“I’ll just tell him that Sungyeol went back to go to his adoptive family. It should be enough for him to know that his grandson is alive. He should be happy this way.”

 

~ O ~

 

            Sungyeol happily brushes his teeth as he hums a happy tune. Things are looking up, so far. Myungsoo’s grandfather is on his way to recovery and at this rate, Sungyeol thinks that the lie doesn’t have to go on for a long time and as soon as grandfather is fully recovered, Sungyeol could quietly and easily slip out of their lives without being found out just like how he planned with Myungsoo.

 

After all this, he could finally start his new debtless life with his father in Japan and finally build that dream house that they were longing for since he was little.

 

“Myungsoo’s not here…I think I should call him.”

 

Sungyeol abruptly stops at the voice outside the door.

 

“You’re not supposed to use phones in the ward!”

 

At the sound of another voice, Sungyeol panics and opens the bathroom door a little to peek outside. He sees two people with their backs facing him. He closes the door again and quickly thinks of how he’s going to get out without getting noticed. Hearing the main door open and shut he takes a peek again only to see that there’s only one person left in the room. Sungyeol rinses his mouth and decides that he would just quickly creep outside without being noticed, so with a sigh, he opens the door and makes his way to the coat rack. He successfully gets his fluffy white coat from the rack but when he turns around, he gasps at the woman standing in front of him.

 

“Who are you?” the woman asks suspiciously eyeing him.

 

“I…ah…I…” Sungyeol stutters.

 

The woman tilts his head and blinks at Sungyeol. At that moment, Sungyeol gets an idea.

 

“I came here to work!” Sungyeol says, holding up his coat.

 

He places the coat back on the rack and starts to tidy up as the woman continues to look at him curiously.

 

“Are you the private nurse that they hired?” the woman asks.

 

Sungyeol blinks for a moment before deciding to go with the flow since the woman already provided it for him.

 

“Ah, yes, I am the private nurse that they hired!” Sungyeol says.

 

“Okay then, please make some tea water for grandfather,” the woman says, handing the kettle and teacup to Sungyeol.

 

“Y-yes, I will,” Sungyeol says.

 

The woman moves away from him and he is about to go out to get hot water but he stops and turns around when the door opens again, revealing a man and a woman. They both enter and the women greet each other, talking about grandfather’s condition and all. Sungyeol stands there frozen on his spot, not knowing what to do. Myungsoo told him not to show himself to other family members but it seems like Sungyeol failed at that.

 

“Excuse me? Who are you?” a man’s voice from behind him says and Sungyeol doesn’t want to turn around because the more people that sees his face, the more people that are going to recognize him but he doesn’t want to make them suspicious so he turns around and looks at him blankly.

 

“Isn’t he the personal nurse that you hired for grandfather?” the woman from earlier says.

 

“No…he’s not the personal nurse that I hired. Wait a minute, weren’t you the one who said that you were an employee of the hotel?” the new woman says.

 

Sungyeol looks up and sees that it’s the bystander he talked to last night.

 

“Lee Sungyeol?”

 

At the mention of his name with the familiar voice, Sungyeol looks up and sees Nam Woohyun standing at the doorway looking confused. Sungyeol wishes that would just turn into a little strawberry cheesecake right now so that these people would leave him alone.

 

“Woohyun-ah, do you know this person?” Mrs. Nam asks.

 

“Yes, but Sungyeol-ah, what are you doing here?” Woohyun says.

 

The people inside the ward continues to talk and talk and ask questions and Sungyeol doesn’t know what to do anymore. The two women were even arguing who’s right about Sungyeol being either an employee at the hotel or being the personal nurse. Woohyun continues to ask him what he’s doing here while the other man is raging about how someone could let in a complete stranger in the president’s hospital room. In the middle of it all, the room grows quiet when Myungsoo calls Sungyeol out.

 

“Myungsoo-shi!” Sungyeol calls out.

 

He wants nothing but to run to Myungsoo for cover but the other people are on his way.

 

“You’re not a nurse, are you?”

 

“You’re not an employee at the hotel either, are you?”

 

“Cutie, what are you doing here?”

 

“What is a stranger doing in the president’s room?!”

 

“Who are you really?”

 

Sungyeol looks like he’s about to cry as he looks at Myungsoo who shakes his head.

 

“If you really want to know who I am…” Sungyeol starts to say, looking at Myungsoo who firmly shakes his head in return.

 

“The truth is…”

 

Myungsoo shakes his head and frowns.

 

“I can’t tell you who I am, so please don’t ask further!” Sungyeol blurts out, acting to looking hurt.

 

“I can’t tell you, so I’ll just quietly go!” Sungyeol makes a run for the door but the sound of grandfather’s voice distracts him and everybody else in the room.

 

While everyone is too busy checking up on grandfather, Sungyeol frantically runs towards Myungsoo who frantically signals for him to get out while they’re all still distracted. Sungyeol nods but they both stop when they hear grandfather calling out for Sungyeol.

 

“My child, where are you? Please don’t leave,” grandfather says, reaching out for Sungyeol.

 

“Come here, child,” grandfather continues.

 

Sungyeol worriedly looks at Myungsoo who nods in return. With a sigh, Sungyeol turns around with a smile directed at grandfather.

 

“Grandfather!” Sungyeol calls out, quickly running towards grandfather who reaches out to hold his hand.

 

“Let me see you,” grandfather says as he takes in Sungyeol’s features.

 

“Are you going? Please don’t go away. We just met…” grandfather begs.

 

Sungyeol nods and whines as he smiles.

 

“Myungsoo-ah, Myungsoo,” grandfather calls out.

 

“Yes, grandfather?” Myungsoo asks.

 

“Thank you for finding him. Thank you for finding my lost grandson. Thank you.”

 

The people in the room all look shocked as they turn to Myungsoo for confirmation. Myungsoo winces as he nods his head.

 

~ O ~

 

“Did you get a confirmation for this, Myungsoo-ah? Are you sure that this is your lost cousin?” Ms. Kim asks after he’s done scrutinizing Sungyeol from head to toe.

 

“Yes, auntie. I’m sure that it’s him,” Myungsoo says.

 

“Then why did you hide it from all of us?” Mrs. Nam asks.

 

“I’m sorry, auntie. Sungyeol-ah doesn’t want a lot of attention especially since he still has his adoptive family to worry about. He wanted to respect their privacy,” Myungsoo says.

 

“S-So…this is the family problem that you were talking about?” Woohyun suddenly speaks up.

 

Sungyeol averts his attention to him and nods his head timidly. Woohyun is such a nice person and Sungyeol feels sorry that he’s lying to him.

 

“But, Myungsoo-ah, why did you find her in Jeju Island and not in Japan?” Mrs. Nam asks.

 

“Mother, please stop asking too many questions. It’s not polite to dig too much into other people’s private lives. Sorry, Myungsoo-ah,” Woohyun interrupts.

 

“It’s okay. We’re a family. Anyway, thank you all for being concerned about grandfather’s condition,” Myungsoo responds.

 

“Of course, we’re family after all,” Mrs. Nam says.

 

“Please keep this as a secret between the family. Sungyeol-ah doesn’t want too much attention, so please keep it to prevent any unnecessary rumors about our family,” Myungsoo says.

 

Mrs. Nam clears and nods.

 

“I understand. I’m sorry that we didn’t have a proper meeting, Sungyeol-shi. Let’s meet again in the future and meet properly. Woohyun-ah, let’s go,” Mrs. Nam says.

 

Woohyun lets his stare linger on for a little while at Sungyeol before bowing and leaving with his mother. Ms. Kim is talking to Myungsoo and only when they turn to Sungyeol did he realize that they were talking about him.

 

“Yes, auntie, I would be going home with Sungyeol-ah later,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol’s eyes widen at that and he confusedly stares at Myungsoo.

 

“Alright, I’ll go home first and prepare Sungyeol’s room. There are a lot of preparations to do,” Ms. Kim says.

 

“I’ll see you at home then, Sungyeol-ah. We’ll talk more later,” Ms. Kim kindly tells Sungyeol before leaving.

 

When Ms. Kim is completely out of earshot, Sungyeol clears his throat.

 

“I guess I’ll end it here, Director Kim. Goodbye,” Sungyeol says, trying to walk past Myungsoo.

 

Myungsoo grabs him by the upper arm and drags him further into the room.

 

“Who says we’re going to end here, Lee Sungyeol?” Myungsoo says.

 

“Our deal is crystal clear, director Kim. I only meet your grandfather once! Meeting your relatives weren’t even part of the deal. You’re lucky I was kind enough,” Sungyeol says.

 

“Lee Sungyeol, please, do this for a little more,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol sighs and shakes his head.

 

“Here we go again, director Kim! I told you I couldn’t do this excessively. I can only lie during emergencies! Just tell your relatives that I’m your fake cousin,” Sungyeol says.

 

“No! Grandfather will find out if I do that!” Myungsoo says.

 

“Lies are meant to be exposed, anyway!” Sungyeol argues.

 

“I believe in your powers, Lee Sungyeol. You can make even the most ridiculous lies believable,” Myungsoo says.

 

“I don’t know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult! But I’m still not doing it!” Sungyeol says.

 

He starts to walk away again but Myungsoo stops him with words.

 

“I’ll employ you!”

 

Sungyeol looks back at Myungsoo and shakes his head.

 

“Your official title is my fake cousin and your workplace is at my house,” Myungsoo continues but Sungyeol continues to walk.

 

“I’ll pay you just like how we pay our newly hired employees. If my grandfather fully recovers, you can get promoted meaning that your wage will increase. You’ll be granted fully-paid leaves and when all of this ends, you’re going to get allowances based on how long you worked for me,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol turns around and flashes a smile at Myungsoo.

 

“Then…in that case, I’m going to stay by grandfather’s side from now on.”

 

~ O ~

 

            Sungyeol’s mouth hangs open in awe as Myungsoo leads him from his house driveway to the front door. The house is really impressive and the view from up there is really nice and relaxing.

 

“Lee Sungyeol-shi,” a voice calls out and Sungyeol immediately look up to find Ms. Kim smiling at her next to Myungsoo who looks bored.

 

“Good afternoon,” Sungyeol says, bowing in greeting as he reaches them.

 

“It’s nice to finally meet under normal circumstances. I’m Kim Eunjae, I’m Myungsoo’s aunt,” Ms. Kim says.

 

“Aunt? It’s good that you mentioned or else I would’ve called you noona,” Sungyeol says.

 

Myungsoo looks at him disbelievingly but Ms. Kim looks pleased at what Sungyeol said.

 

“Ah, I can’t blame you, I indeed have a baby face that I could easily be mistaken as his older sister,” Ms. Kim says.

 

“No wonder you’re an artist, auntie. You’re really pretty! I bet auntie’s art pieces are as beautiful as her,” Sungyeol continues and Myungsoo almost chokes on his spit.

 

“Of course! I should give you one of my art pieces as a gift in the future,” Ms. Kim says.

 

Myungsoo clears his throat, deciding that he’s had enough of this.

 

“Sungyeol, let’s get inside now.”

 

 

The house from the outside is already impressive but the inside is even more impressive. There are a lot of expensive vases and potteries around the house and Sungyeol can’t stop his mouth from gaping in awe. However, when he turns one corner, he sees the familiar family portrait of Myungsoo’s aunt Chaerin and the real grandson. Sungyeol’s heart almost jumped out of his mouth as he hides his face behind his hands.

 

“I’m sorry…I’m really sorry,” Sungyeol says.

 

“It must be your first time to see your parents in portrait.”

 

Sungyeol screams in surprise but stops when he sees that it’s only the man from the ward earlier.

 

“Ah, sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you or ruin your moment,” the man says.

 

“I-It’s okay,” Sungyeol says, moving to avoid the scrutinizing gaze of the man.

 

“Th-the potteries here are really nice and expensive! Is this a real Go Li Chung ceramic?!” Sungyeol blurts out, walking towards the pot under the portrait as he caresses it with his hand.

 

“Ah, that one’s the only fake pottery in this house,” the man says.

 

Sungyeol stops and tries to walk away because he feels like this man is out to expose him.

 

“It may be fake but it’s really pretty,” Sungyeol says.

 

“Yes, it’s a very similar imitation! It’s really similar that you can easily bluff your way to others. But fake is still fake no matter what you say.”

 

Sungyeol slowly turns to face the man with a stiff smile.

 

“Yes, of course, a fake is still a fake no matter what,” Sungyeol says.

 

“It’s weird,” the man says, approaching Sungyeol with furrowed brows.

 

Sungyeol stutters out incoherently as the man gets closer to him.

 

“Shouldn’t you be more interested in your parents rather than this pot?” the man says.

 

Sungyeol’s mouth opens and closes like a fish out of water but nothing comes out of his mouth.

 

“Sungyeol, what are you doing here?”

 

At the sound of Myungsoo’s voice, Sungyeol lets out a sigh of relief and runs towards the other. He hides behind him as he warily eyes the man.

 

“I-I was just looking around the house,” Sungyeol says, not keeping his eyes off the man.

 

“Auntie is finished preparing your room, go up first and I’ll follow you shortly,” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol nods and happily obliges, leaving Myungsoo and the man alone. The man smiles at Myungsoo and looks back at the portrait.

 

“It’s hair-raising how similar he looks to his mother. But it’s also weird how he doesn’t look anything like this little boy here,” the man says.

 

Myungsoo’s heart is drumming against his ribcage but he simply blinks at the man.

 

“Hm, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

~ O ~

 

“Who is that man and why does he sound like he knows who I am?” Sungyeol says when they’re finally on the second floor.

 

“That’s Jinki ahjussi. He’s been grandfather’s driver even before I was born, so he’s already like family to us,” Myungsoo says.

 

“I-I see…but he really have to be careful of him. He looks like he could read minds,” Sungyeol says.

 

Myungsoo simply nods and tilts his head towards the rooms.

 

“This is your room and conveniently across it is my room. The maids just got to clean it today since everything sort of happened in a rush, so I think the room would still be a little messy,” Myungsoo says.

 

“It’s okay,” Sungyeol says, smiling widely up at Myungsoo.

 

“Come, I’ll show you your room.”

 

Myungsoo opens the door of Sungyeol’s new room and for the millionth time that day, Sungyeol finds his jaw dropping on the floor in awe.

 

“I don’t like it, to be honest. It’s still a little messy and old fashioned. It also looks girly with all the pink stuff but don’t worry, I’ll change them gradually,” Myungsoo says.

 

“Are you kidding me? It’s a dream come true to have a pink room that is as pretty as this…it’s like straight out of my dreams,” Sungyeol says to himself.

 

“What?” Myungsoo says, looking at Sungyeol with furrowed brows.

 

Sungyeol closes his mouth and clears his throat.

 

“I mean, i-it’s okay. I could bear with this.”

 

Myungsoo chuckles because he knows that Sungyeol is amazed by the room and is just trying to act casual.

 

“Okay then, I will rest now. You should also rest.”

 

With that Myungsoo shuts the door and when Sungyeol hears the click of the door, he squeals and jumps up and down as if he just won the lottery. He runs around the room like a little kid, greeting all the pink stuff inside the room. From the other side of the door Myungsoo hears Sungyeol cheering while jumping up and down the fluffy bed. He shakes his head at the latter’s childishness and starts to make his way to his room across the room but he hears a scream and a loud thump.

 

“Sungyeol-ah? Sungyeol-ah?” Myungsoo calls out as he knocks on the door.

 

When there is no response, he opens it and finds Sungyeol sprawled on the floor beside the bed with his eyes wide open as if he’s just realizing that he fell down.

 

“Sungyeol, are you alright?” Myungsoo says, kneeling down as his face hovers a few inches above Sungyeol’s face.

 

Sungyeol gasps at the proximity and he cannot make out a coherent reply when he feels his face starting to burn up at the closeness.

 

“Are you alright? Can you hear me?” Myungsoo asks, face continuing to get closer to examine Sungyeol.

 

With this, Sungyeol immediately gets up, bumping his forehead on Myungsoo’s sharp nose. He looks back at Myungsoo who is groaning in pain as he clutches his nose.

 

“Oh my gosh! I am so sorry! I’m sorry!! Is your nose bleeding? Oh my gosh!” Sungyeol frantically goes towards the bedside table to get tissue.

 

He stuck the tissue up Myungsoo’s nose. He continues to freak out until Myungsoo yells for him to stop.

 

“Stop freaking out, for ’s sake!” Myungsoo says, pulling out the tissue from his nose.

 

“Oh! Your nose is fortunately not bleeding!” Sungyeol says, smiling his wide gummy smile at Myungsoo who frowns.

 

“Fortunately?! It’s just your first day here and you’re already inflicting pain on me! You should be punished!” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol pouts and plays with his hands.

 

“But I didn’t hurt you on purpose, director Kim…” Sungyeol whines.

 

“Whatever. The thing that you’re looking forward to would be cancelled until further notice!” Myungsoo says.

 

Sungyeol makes a face as Myungsoo slams the door shut after he leaves.

 

“What is he talking about?! I’m not looking forward to anything! Hmph! I’ll just watch TV then!” Sungyeol grumbles, grabbing the remote control and plopping down comfortably on the bed as the television turns on.

 

“Whoa, the screen is really big and high definition! It’s like I’m in a cinema!” Sungyeol says.

 

He switches the channel and sees that Lee Sungjong’s reality show is on KBS.

 

“Aigoo, he keeps on appearing on television everyday. That person that Woohyun was talking about would be even more hurt.”

 

 

Author’s Notes: Hey guys Merry Christmas!! I’m sorry that the update came later than I promised! But I hope you still liked it! Sorry for the grammar errors or typos!