Defeat

Secrets are meant to be kept

Defeat. That was the end of the chase. 

Seunghoon's mind stopped working as his heart took over, drenching his whole soul in pulsating sadness. He felt hollow inside when Byul quietly but surely squeaked out her answer. He was brought to heightened pleasures when his lips touched hers and now he was hurtling straight down to hell just with one word from . He wanted to beg her, hug her and kiss her again but his pride didn't allow him to do any of that. Instead he stared at Byul, almost boring a hole into her face, a face which he was thinking about the whole time, a face which he wanted to caress and pinch and kiss. He still held on tightly to her shoulders, looking out for any sign that this stubborn girl will eventually relent. Hope, that's all he has left. 

"Then I will forget about you,"

Seunghoon's words rang in my ears and I couldn't help but feel a tight knot rising from my chest and into my throat, threatening to unleash a flood of tears from my widen eyes. Wasn't that what I wanted him to do? So why do I feel so sad? I hung my head low and stared at my ridiculous limegreen rug. When did I buy such a hideous object? Blue would have been a much nicer colour. I stared at the rug, trying my best to flood my mind with all sorts of colours.

After what seemed like eternity, Seunghoon released his grip on me and let his arms slumped by his sides. I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I wanted him to hold me again. I watched as his feet took a step back each away from me and onto that god-damn rug. 

"Look at me Byul," Seunghoon commanded in a low voice.

Seunghoon felt like he was about to break into pieces but he will not break in front of Han Byul. Anyone but her. He watched intently as Byul's head rise up with her gaze averted to the left. Seunghoon thought he could hold on and walk off like a man. But he was wrong. Utterly wrong. 

His heart broke when he saw Byul's face, her eyes drenched in sadness even without tears and her lips curled inwards to form a line. How to forget about someone you love? Taking a deep breath in, Seunghoon placed his hands on her shoulders and slowly but firmly drew her into his chest and hugged her without any words. Tightly. Firmly, Never letting go. Was this how it feels to have hurt someone? Especially someone you love? Why did he give up so easily and muttered those hurtful words when she hung on for four freaking years around him. 

It took all my self-control to remain still in his arms and I had nothing left to stop my tears from free falling down my cheeks. I cried silently without moving, without sound. An ability I have honed to perfection over the past four years. Why did it hurt so bad when he said that he will forget about me? Was I hoping for anything more? Stupid Byul. 

"I like you. I really like you."

The whisper echoed in the room.