Haunting

Secrets are meant to be kept

Fight or flight?

Basic human instinct right?

Wrong. 

There is actually one more on that list. It's called frozen to the ground. I couldn't move at all, too shocked by the sudden revelation of my real identity, certain that everything that I have done to hide my true self will soon go down that bloody drain within the next nanosecond. 

That blasted Taehyun continued with his reading of my biodata off that blasted tablet. 

"Name: Han Byul. Age: 20. Hometown: Busan," Seungyoon raised his brows at me and frowned,"You said you are from Suncheon!" 

I was still numb atvmy core, not knowing whether to run, faint or bluff my way out. To make matters worse, Mino took over the newscasting from Taehyun. 

"High school: Nampo High. Family: Only child. Mother passed away in Year 1. Father left the family..." well at least someone has the decency to stop. 

I kept my head down as gazillions of thoughts flew through my mind. Gulping down accumulated saliva down my extremely dry throat, I took in a deep breath and looked up to find 5 boys staring at me as though I had three heads.

"I know something was up with this girl-dude." Nam Taehyun sneered. 

Seunghoon looked like he was ready to explode right there and then. Not bothering to ask any questions, he grabbed my hand and dragged me all the way to the rooftop of the company. Guess he forgot about my foot. We reached the rooftop and he turned to face me. Immediately he regretted his actions.  My face was pale and I was sweating from all the pain. It took all the self control I had not to let the tears b at my eyes spill out like a waterfall. 

"I'm so sorry. Are you ok? Sit down sit down," Seunghoon gulped and led me to a bench by the wall. I slumped on the bench and kept my head down as tears rolled down involuntarily.  I wasn't about to let him see me cry. 

"Hey, you alright?" Seunghoon shook my shoulders gently. I nodded not so reassuringly.  "Look at me." He commanded firmly and placed his hands on my thighs while squatting in front of me.

"You are crying. Is it painful? I'm sorry I shouldn't have dragged you out like this but it was such a big shock to me when we found out you were, you know, you..." and his voice trailed off with uncertainty.  

I turned my head up ever so slightly and our eyes soon connected. Silence reigned as we searched for answers in each other's eyes. Me to find out if I should be honest and him to find out if I was alright. Finally he broke the awkward atmosphere by plonking beside me on the bench.

"So you're my hoobae. A very bad and rude hoobae indeed," Seunghoon clucked sarcastically and shook his head dramatically.  I remained silent with my head bowed almost parallel to the floor. "Hey, so do I know you?"

"No," I replied, feeling relieved that I need not lie for this question. 

"Then... did you know me?"

I hesitated and nodded slowly,"Everyone knows you."

Seunghoon laid back on the wall and stretched his hands over his head. "Well, that's true."

I looked up straightway at him and rolled my eyes at his conceited manner. 

"What's wrong? It's true ain't it?" He shrugged. 

I guffawed and looked away. As if I'm gonna fuel his ego further. As much as I liked him, conceited behaviour is something I hate the most. 

"Look about the pictures of you and me..."

"You and me" suddenly sounded like music to my ears and I had to suppress a smile. Stupid Byul, I mentally cursed myself. 

"I think it would pass right? Like all things." He said quietly and my heart took a sudden lurch forward. 

This was the same sentence he told me 4 years ago, on the rooftop of our high school, where I stood on the ledge, intending to plummet myself to the ground, 6 storeys down. 

I stared at Seunghoon with an intense gaze and soon found myself lost in the memories of the past, memories I've so desperately tried to keep at bay, memories so hurtful that they become nightmares and demons. But I couldn't erase these memories especially when he was there when I needed him the most.