Chapter 12: The Truth Hurts

All We Are
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

              A week after Daniel proposed to Jess, everything turned upside down for me. I, lowkey, want Jess to do a plot twist and say no to Daniel’s proposal, but she said yes with such joy filled tears. I can’t sleep for two days after that, there goes my chance of getting her as mine. But with a heavy heart I must accept this and try to let this go. On the other hand, if I don’t tell anyone about this, I might go through insanity. After Jess said yes to Daniel’s proposal, I can’t help but imagine it was me who was kneeling and looking at her tearful eyes. This feeling has definitely anchored itself deeper that anticipated and I find myself going almost overboard.

              “Ughhh!!” I buried my face into the pillow and screamed the loudest I can, this is frustrating. I am madly in love with my childhood bestfriend but I don’t want to be selfish about it and yet again at the same time it’s killing me that she is getting married soon. TO MY BEST BUD! “I hate my love life!”

              First it was Ailee who left me. I was in such pain and hurt that I would’ve lose my mind if it weren’t for Jess. And I found myself not falling for any girl lately until I realized my feelings for her weeks ago. This is just insanity at it’s finest.

              “RINGGGGGGG!!!” goes off my phone to pull me off from my train of thoughts. It’s Jess calling. I sat up immediately and clear my throat before swiping the ‘answer’ button. “Hello, Eddie in da house!”

              “Well, you’re in light spirits today,” if only she knew, “Get ready, I’m picking you up in 10 minutes.”

              “Wait, what?” again she does this, a last minute warning, “Where are we going?”

              “To get to my fitting!” She sounds a bit annoyed for some reason, “And I am about to be late for my appointment with the designer!” Oh that’s why.

              “Why don’t you go with Daniel?” I answered.

              “That’s what’s making me so annoyed, he’s already there and I am late!” yup that’s why.

              “I told you! It was at 10!” I can hear Krystal’s voice, “Did you listen? NOOOOOOO!! You just keep dozing off.”

              “Can it Soojung! Now hang up the phone and get ready Eddie!” She hung up instead and I was left with wide eyes.

              I looked at the clock and jumped off the bed and ran to the bathroom. She is really something when she wants something done fast. Once her entire company went on a crazy train ride when she asked for the reports of last year’s income. It was nuts, I helped out the staff. They know me well. I would have those occasional visits like lunches or breakfast. Anywho, Jess is quite the Queen when she wants something done fast. Even me, I’m not out of that line of fire. But to her staff she is a very down to earth boss and they respect her dearly for that.

              Now, here I am 8 minutes later, I’m at my apartment’s lobby waiting for her. I could’ve just use my own car but whenever Jess is like this, it’s best to just follow what she wants. This is one of those rare occasions where sometimes she would confront me of something or say something she needs help with. Wait... Confrontation???

              “She couldn’t have possibly known right?” I pondered on myself as I wait by the lobby, “No she definitely can’t! I made sure I covered everything up.”

              Just as I pondered, her car came to a stop in front of me and she honked her car, “Get in! We are running late!”

              Without a second thought, I just ran to the passenger seat and shut the door. “Annyeong oppa!” Krystal’s voice greeted me first as the door closes.

              “An..Yeooongggg!!” My reply was cut short when Jess immediately sped the car out the lobby and into the road, “Woaaaahhh easyyyy!!”

              “You think I wouldn’t find out, Eddie Kwon???” Her voice sounds really annoyed. And I am tensing up.

              “Crap! This is it! I am dead and so will this friendship,” I was leaning back into the car seat, wishing it would just swallow me up.

              “You knew Daniel was gonna propose????” her annoyed tone turned into a whining tone, “Why didn’t you tell me????”  

              Relieved, “It was a surprise,” I chuckled softly and tap her shoulder, “I couldn’t possibly mess that up!”

              “But I was bawling like a pig and wasn’t even prepared!” She whined yet again, oh well she’s back to normal again, “If you told me, maybe I could compose myself a bit more.”

              Me and Krystal exchanged a brief glance then at Jess, we said at the same time, “Nope you won’t.”

              “Remember last Christmas?” I recalled a moment last Christmas, Krystal and I spoiled a surprise that Daniel was coming for Christmas, “You said ‘I will be calmer when he arrives’, but in the end.”

              “You squealed so loud you scared Marley away!” Krystal has this ‘unbelieavable’ look on her face, “MA-R-LEY! Our fearless dog! That’s crazy!”

              A brief story about Marley, the Jung’s St. Bernard. She is full of joy and full of life, on top of that she is fearless. No thunder or lightning could scare this dog unt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter