My Contract

What I did

After that I bought my father a good batch of his favorite stuff and he walked out the door with it. He didn’t say anything he just looked at the bottle and left. I knew he’d be back eventually I was just glad he was gone. I even brought Nam some good food, really good meat.

When I went to school the day after that I told Himchan about the check.

“That’s a lot of money”

“Yeah”

“But isn’t it a bit much for a mail carrier?”

I sat there a minute and thought “You’re right, why would they pay me so much?”

“Beats me” Jongup said

“No one asked you” I said offhand “But what do you think Chan?”
“What mail did you have to deliver first”
“Nothing really that special some papers-actually a lot of papers. And there were a few posts that were actually personal mails. And then the boss-”

Himchan cut me off “You saw the boss? What did he look like?” he came in closer “Was he cute?”

“Chan!” Jongup whined

“I’m just kidding” he said with a smile then turned back to me for an answer wiggling his eyebrows

“I didn’t meet the boss I just saw the assistant he was the one I had to give his mail to”
“Was he cute?”

“Himchan” Jongup said “It’s only funny the once. Don’t push it”

“Okay” Himchan said pouting “But if you’re just handing off mail, why’re you paid so much? Why doesn’t he just have his assistant get the mail?”

“I don’t know” I said “But I’ll try and ask.”
“Try?”

“You know the day I went over your house? The giant and assassin, yeah the assassin is the boss’ assistant”

“Small world”

“Yeah, too small”

“Has he given any inkling as to why you’re paid so much?”

“No”

“So you don’t have any idea of what’s in the mail?”

“No”

“You should find out then” Jongup said pulling Himchan into his lap

“Yeah they would love that” I said sarcastically “‘Hi I’ve worked for you once and I’m going to sift through your mail to see why you over pay me’”

“But aren’t you curious?” Jongup said “I could show how to reseal mail”

‘’Or you could just stuff it in another envelope”

“Yeah, well I think I’m going to try something more legal. Thanks though.”

“Fine if you wanna do the legal way” he said with air quotations “No fun, but go ahead”

I went to work that afternoon and the receptionist greeted me another crisp envelope.

“Because we don’t have a mailing address for you I’ve become your mailman-mailwoman. Here”

I opened it to the same pleasing sight I had on my first day “Not that I usually question pay if any kind was the last guy who had this job paid this well?”

“Don’t know” she said “But I don’t think so, if he was he wasn’t as excited as you were”

“Did they have you give him his pay like this?”

“No. Looking back I actually think they didn’t really do much with him” she bit her lip and looked up at me from her desk “He started acting kinda shady a while after he started working here”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I think it started after he signed his contract”

“Contract?”

“Yeah. After you start working here they have you sign a contract; benefits, shares, insurance stuff like that”

 “Is that all there is in the contract?”

“I think so”

“You think so? You don’t know” I asked surprised

“No but I don’t worry about it too much, they pay well so I don’t complain”

“Oh” I said realizing that was about as much as I was going to get from her. I was very confused at the whole contract thing, especially since I knew better, why in the first place. Contracts are dangerous things; I learned this as I grew into an adult.  At that time, even as I knew better then I still wanted to excel by any means that I was ready to do anything. So as I touched the top floor I was greeted to a large yellow envelope in my mail room.

“Newbie” I turned to find Tao-ssi standing at the door “Have you signed yet?”

“I haven’t even opened it” I picked it up and low and behold it was what looked to be a contract

I stared at it for a minute.

“Well?” Tao asked “Do you plan on signing it or not? Or are you doing this so I have to make a trip tomorrow?”

“No it’s just I-” I didn’t know how to tell him that I was iffy on signing something I thought was unnecessary in the first place “Do I have to sign?”

“Do you want to stay employed?” he said as if it were a given

I was agitated by what he said and what it meant but all the more I was scared “Okay”

“Now sign”

I signed and handed him the paper, the smile that arose gave me chills as he looked up at me from the envelope, like he was the devil taking the contract to my soul. Little had I known that I he was just the devil’s right hand. He looked didn’t look back me as he strut down the hallway like he owned the world. The sway in his hips the strength in his steps all powerful all confident all invincible as I had believed.  His curves all intoxicating, I nearly started to drool until I remembered my sweet, lovable, not-at-all-scary Jello. Have I ever mentioned he’s just wonderful? As I stood there I was lost in thought about him the devil behind closed door plotted as to how to make better use of my soul. 


So as you probably know this is shorter than the last chapter but there is a reason because there's going to be some real stuff goin' on in the next chapter. And let me tell you I thought of something really interesting to put in the story. Maybe you'll hate me maybe you'll call me a genius but just letin you know it'll make things interesting. Leave comments tell me what you think I'm going to do, I bet you'll never guess.Bye Bye, and see you in the next chapter!