Chapter 9. Take the Lead

Dark of the Moon

The next day came by quickly and Haeri found herself rushing to the library again to make sure she beat Chanwoo to his tutoring session. She had ignored JongUp for most of her day because he had kept to himself for the most part. 

The only thing that seemed to have changed was a mutual understanding of each other. He had fallen asleep at his table at lunch and she sat by him in quiet. She noticed he had a bruise on his hand for some reason. She had heard Moon had fought some people last night but he had won as always. 

She applied some ointment and rubbed it, but he didn’t appear distressed with pain when she had done so. Whether he was used to it or just that good at acting, she didn’t know but it was good that he didn’t pretend to know her in school.  

It would be even crazier for the both of them to start talking randomly even though most people knew she had to tutor him already. Gossip traveled fast in their school and she already knew there were some rumors of how she had JongUp wrapped around her finger.  

She sighed to herself, sitting down at the usual table and waited for Chanwoo to appear. She showed up late again, but this time he casually walked in. It was different as if he chose to be late this time around, there was nothing wrong with that as long as he had a good reason of course. 

“Something happened Chanwoo?” She asked him, as he took out his textbooks with a heavy sigh. 

He nodded, “The girl I like is dating someone.” He said sadly. “I’ve liked her since we were freshmen.”  

Haeri frowned, “Aww.. Chanwoo. I’m sorry. I know your parents are against you dating, but you know they are right. Once you get into Seoul National, you can have anyone you want. Girls will be dying to get with you.” She assured him, noticing he had already flagged the pages for the homework he needed help with. 

“Yeah.” He said, dragging out his voice, “But what they don’t actually like me? What if they’re just there because I went to Seoul National. You know girls that graduate from Seoul National only want guys who graduated there too.” He told her. 

She tapped his hand lightly with her pencil and he started working on his math problems, it was just review from what she had taught him previously but he still struggled a little bit with the more complicated problems. “You know that just means you’re exclusive. If girls want you, then that means you can choose whoever you want. There are more boys than girls and if you don’t want someone from Seoul National, then it doesn’t matter. As long as you have a likable personality, you can have anyone you want.” She told him. “Don’t be a prick and you’ll be fine.”  

Chanwoo smiled, “You’re always so nice, Haeri noona. I can have a likable personality, I’m friendly.” He said confidently. 

“Yeah. Just don’t be creepy, Chanwoo. No girls like creepy guys. As long as you’re yourself, you’re fine. I can promise you that.” Haeri said, “Don’t change for a girl and you’ll find someone.”  

Chanwoo nodded eagerly, “Thanks, noona. We should do homework huh?” He said sadly.  

“It would be helpful, especially if you want to get into Seoul National.” She reminded him and they started on his newer assignments. 

It was a long day as he continued to go through his homework at a steady pace, but the sun had set yet again when they finally completed everything. She sighed but kept smiling at him because she was proud that he had managed to do some of it by himself without her help.  

“Sorry, noona.” He said sadly as they walked out of the library together.  

Haeri gave him a reassuring smile, “Don’t worry Chanwoo, take care.” She said, and they reached the steps and she saw a familiar face waiting for her there.  

“Uhh.. Noona?” Chanwoo asked her as the guy looked at them expectantly.  

Haeri frowned and turned to Chanwoo quickly, “You’ve seen nothing, Chanwoo. I don’t know who that is. You are just going home.” She said. 

“Hey, you know who I am!” He said, raising his voice at her. She turned to him in a panic and threw him a look. 

Haeri turned back to Chanwoo, “Have a good night, Chanwoo. See you next week. Like I said, I don’t know this person!” She shouted at him, walking away from the scene. 

Chanwoo just chuckled as JongUp stood there dumbstruck. “Hey, make sure she gets home safe okay?” Chanwoo asked him before walking away himself. 

JongUp smirked at him, “Of course I will. Who do you think I am?” He muttered, before chasing after Haeri. She slowed her sprint down to a crawl when she saw that Chanwoo was out of sight. 

“Yah, what was that about?” JongUp asked her, grabbing her hand and falling into step with her. 

“What do you mean what was that about? What are you doing here?” She said, retaliating at him. “Hopefully no one saw anything and could clearly tell I didn’t want anything to do with you.” She said with a sigh. 

“Why is that such a big deal? What’s wrong with knowing me?” He asked her and she sighed again.  

“Well, Chanwoo’s parents are very strict. They have stern policies with my tutoring of him, as I am a girl and former tutors have tried to use that to their advantage before. They only started trusting me when he started bringing home As with my help, but even then they have strict rules.” Haeri started to explain. 

“Like what?” JongUp said interrupting her. They were coming along the edge of their neighborhood and their streets ending up being quiet for the first time in a while. 

“I have to arrive at the library before he does, they have someone watching every time he’s supposed to get tutored by me, to make sure I’m there first. Chanwoo isn’t allowed to dilly dally while he’s at school, he has to come here right after. So that if I’m late, it’s my fault, since he’s not supposed to alter his schedule. Someone is watching him as well, but he has a bit more leeway. When we are done tutoring, I am not allowed to have a boyfriend pick me up or anybody pick me up, it’s a distraction from my ability to tutor him, they say. Also they are watching the tutoring so if we do anything other than his homework, they will also know. That’s the only way I get paid by Chanwoo’s family. They pay the most and they are consistent, so I can’t ever let them down.” Haeri finished explaining to him. She sighed to herself again. 

“Oh that’s why you were pretending not to know me.” He said, realizing why she had gotten upset. 

“Yes.” 

“But you shouldn’t be out walking by yourself this late.” He told her. “It’s not safe." 

“I know it’s not but you can’t pick me up in front of the library.” Haeri said, “I don’t know why you’re here either. Since when were we a thing?” She asked him. 

JongUp scratched the back of his neck sheepishly, her house was approaching on the right. “Well, gossip travels fast and some people saw me holding your hand the other night. And I’ve kinda already spread the rumor that you’re mine, because of that time you went grocery shopping and two creeps were trying to get at you.” He answered her, dragging out his words. 

That magical lightbulb went off in Haeri’s head, “So basically right now, everyone in the neighborhood thinks I’m your girl.” She surmised from his words. 

“Yeah.” He admitted. “Sorry.” He tried to loosen his grip on her hand but she kept her grip tight. 

“It’s fine. I just wish you would tell me first next time. But I guess it’ll be interesting, I can’t predict when I’ll finish tutoring Chanwoo so it might be better this way.” She told him, “But we barely know each other.” She said. 

“I know, but we could get to know each other. Besides, you have to tutor me too.” He reminded her. 

Haeri smiled, “That’s true. Well, we have to set some rules then. You can’t pick me up in front of the library when I’m tutoring Chanwoo. We can meet at the edge of our neighborhood and then from there, we can walk together.” She told him. 

“Fine, as long as you agree to tell me whenever you’re going to be going out by yourself late at night or in our neighborhood at all.” He said to her. 

“Fine. I can do that. Should we exchange numbers then?” She asked him, taking out her cell phone. 

“Sure.” He answered, taking out his as well. They input their numbers in each other’s phone and made nicknames for it, in case anyone saw it but it was unlikely. 

“What’s my name?” He asked her. 

“Moon.” She replied, “But not spelled as your last name, but the word for moon.” She said. 

“Oh really?” He said, looking at her phone screen. He smiled, “Okay, cool. Cuz I put you as sun.” He said chuckling. 

They walked through her front gate and he walked her all the way to the door, “Okay, Miss Perfect.” He said, “We’ve arrived." 

Haeri smiled, “Thank you for walking me home.” She said. 

“It’s my pleasure.” He replied, he leaned up to her and she froze but he just kissed her cheek and pulled away. “Gotta pretend at least right?” He asked. 

She nodded slowly, “True. Okay.” She said, plucking up the courage and kissing his cheek back. “Good night.” She said, turning into her house and lingering as she closed the door. 

“Good night.” JongUp replied back to her and she closed the door, separating them. She headed back to her room with a huge grin on her face. 


Author's Note;;
update guys~ but it's midterm season >~> 
so hopefully it all goes well :o