Chapter 15. Muse

Dark of the Moon

Mr. Kim spoke in his usual monotone voice, droning on about the history of Korea and he wrote dates and events on the board, pointing the important ones to remember for the test. Haeri diligently took notes and made sure to highlight all the dates since no one else was going to do it. She would make photocopies later because of the idiots in class who refused to pay attention. 

These were the people who were resigned to their fates, they were only going for the average, they didn’t care about scoring high, they didn’t care about what their futures would be. She was different from them, this was not the life she had planned for herself, she wasn’t going to stay stuck here. 

She looked around and noticed that JongUp was sitting up in class for once, but it didn’t look like he was paying attention to the notes on the board either. She checked in her periphery when she noticed that Junhong was tense. 

They were both tense, and she noticed that they were subtly watching the other. She saw that JongUp would fidget and he waited for Junhong’s reaction to it. She shook her head, this was such a boyish thing to do. Boys would always go about this way to top the other person. 

She would need to talk to him about this later as well. She continued to pay attention to the notes and the clock ticked down until class was over. She was looking forward to talking to him about the threat of Junhong. 

After time passed, the bell finally rang and she quickly put her things together so she could be on her way. It was time for her to meet up with Miyoung for tutoring again, she had asked to meet earlier this week for some reason. 

She caught JongUp in her line of sight and she just left the classroom and headed towards the school library and hopefully he’d get the hint. She got there and noticed no one was around yet again, it was as if everyone hated the library or something, but then again, no one liked studying in this school. 

Everyone was too busy with their social lives to even bother. But she knew better than that. Haeri walked up the table where Miyoung was already sitting and waiting for her. 

“Am I late?” Haeri asked her, quickly taking out all her notes and putting it in front of Miyoung. She also took out the math homework that Miyoung was tasked to complete for the week.  

“No, I’m just early today.” Miyoung answered kindly. “I got out of something so I swung by a bit earlier than usual. So what am I working today?” She asked. 

Haeri pointed at the math problems she brought out, “This should be your first task and after that you can just study the rest of it to take the tests.” She said. “We covered derivatives last class so just follow the formula and you'll be able to get it really quickly. 

Miyoung nodded and she just did her problems in silence, Haeri just looked around and she noticed that JongUp made it into the library. He was hovering behind some bookshelves but she could tell he was there. 

"Hey, so I heard some things, Haeri." Miyoung said as she finished the problems quickly. She gave the paper back to Haeri to check over and the girl took it. 

Haeri hummed to herself as she double checked what her answers were. "What things would that be?” She asked, not looking up from the paper. So far, Miyoung was doing all of the work correctly but that was not unusual. 

“There’s a rumor going around that you’ve got a boy on your mind.” Miyoung told her. “I heard it on the street. But I had to tell you to see if it was true.” She said, looking to Haeri. 

Haeri felt her body tense at the mere mention of a boy on her mind. She took a second to calm her reaction before answering Miyoung. How could someone even know about things?  They didn’t even interact at school. 

“I’m not sure what you are talking about.” Haeri answered her, she was proud that her voice gave no sign of her anxiety. She had to talk to JongUp for sure after this, now Junhong was definitely not a coincidence. 

Miyoung pursed her lips and Haeri noticed that she seemed a bit annoyed, “Well then. I see.” She said, “Anyway, is there any other work for me to do?” 

Haeri checked through everything in a few minutes, while an awkward silence hung between them. She had a feeling that Miyoung knew more than she was letting on, but she couldn’t be sure of what. “Nope, you did everything correct. So I think we are done for the day.” She said. 

“Cool.” Miyoung quickly gathered her things and stood up, “I’ll be heading out then. See you next week.” She disappeared in an instant, and JongUp came by to replace her. 

He fell into Miyoung’s old chair and he frowned, “She probably knows something.” He told her. 

Haeri frowned, she had to give all of Miyoung’s papers to the teacher so she would get the grade for the work that she did. “What are you talking about? She didn’t interrogate me or anything.”  

JongUp rolled his eyes, “You know, girls are more intuitive than you think. Especially her. I should have realized that when you were tutoring Miyoung that you were tutoring that Miyoung.” He said, standing up. He held out his hand to her and she took it easily. 

“What do you mean that Miyoung?” She said, raising an eyebrow at him. “What’s so special about her?”  

He just shook his head, “It’s nothing. Anyway, that Junhong kid.” They walked down the hallway quietly as to not attract any attention to them until they could make it to the back gate. Everyone had already left campus so there wasn’t much left to do. 

“What do you think about him? He is very suspicious, I’m sure he is a spy of sorts. How could Miyoung know of a rumor about me being with a guy? No one sees us.” She said aloud, just adding to the conversation. Junhong happened to come in at a time that new things started to happen. 

“I agree. He is probably a spy. I just don’t know for who.” JongUp said, their steps fell into rhythm and they already made it back towards their side of town. “But if Miyoung is okay, then perhaps it’ll be okay.” He said thoughtfully. 

Haeri frowned, “I really have no idea what Miyoung is. Like she is someone important to that world, I’m guessing. Which is probably why you said she’s okay.” Her voice drifted off, “You know I’ve been tutoring her the longest. Chanwoo is the second longest." 

“She’s known you for this long?” JongUp asked her. “She knows about all the years you tutored and stuff? Does she know about you?”  

Haeri looked at him, “Not really. She knows a decent amount about me though. I’ve been tutoring her for years.” She said. “But I mean, she knows I’m different.” They got to the front of her house and she noticed no one was home again. 

She stood in front of her house and said nothing, she looked down at the ground and then turned the key to the door. She saw in her peripheral vision that he was following behind her. She couldn’t stop the smile from her lips and they entered the house together. 

They got back to their comfort zone while laying on her bed and looking at her ceiling, “So, you noticed all those girls who were glaring at you today?” JongUp asked her.  

Haeri would have heard the distaste in his mouth right away if there was any, but he sounded concerned for her. Something those words never came with. “Yeah, worried about taking away another guy from them or whatever. I don’t even care.” She said, sounding stronger than she actually was. 

Of course it still stung a bit when people disliked her. All humans craved to belong and she didn’t have that. But she just convinced herself that she didn’t need it because she would get out of there.  

JongUp took her hand in his and turned to her, she followed suit and she saw him smiling. “It’s okay, they’re just jealous for good reason.” He told her. She smiled back at him before turning back to the ceiling. 

“You’re the only one who really knows that.” She said, letting out a sigh. She was breathing softly while they stayed quiet. Soon the lull of his even breathing calmed her to sleep again. 


Author's Note;;
hey hey~ here's another update :D
School started back up but i'll try my best to get this done. :o
enjoy~