Chapter 5. Morality

Dark of the Moon

He prowled through the alleys, looking for someone who was being stupid. He just needed a reason to mess with someone tonight.  

The erts always hung around the corners at night, looking for girls to charm. They only had one thing on their minds and that was their personal needs.  

He hates those kinds of guys just as much as he hated wannabes that just wanted to fight him.  

The sun had gone down long ago, and the moon was high in the sky, but his streets were as dimly lit as ever. It didn't take him long to find a new target but they were already stalking a girl. 

He could only see her from behind, but she was stupid to be out this late. She kept her head down and in the moonlight he could only tell that she was petite and had dark hair.  

He waited for the guys to walk past her and check her out from behind. They were not blind, as she was pretty cute but he didn’t have time for that. She was in danger if he didn’t act fast, he saw them hover around her as she kept her head down and walked ahead.  

This was their weak moment and he lunged for them, they all rolled over into a dark alley. “Yah! You punk!” The older one said, trying to break away from him. 

"What the are you doing?" The younger one said, swinging his arm blindly into darkness. He smirked to himself as they were drunk out of their minds and were too easy to deal with. He saw them tripping over their own feet and he put his foot out to trip the younger one. 

“Hey!” He groaned, landing face first on the ground. His nose bleeding from falling over himself, “You’re just hiding in the shadows, what are you doing?”  

“I’m being smart.” He answered them, “Besides, you guys haven’t figured out who I am yet, have you?” He asked them cockily. 

“If you have to ask, then you can only be one person.” The older one said, reaching out to grab him by the collar and failing. “Moon.” He answered simply, trying to regain his footing. 

JongUp finally stepped out into the moonlight with a grin on his face, “In the flesh. What did I tell you about chasing after young girls at night?” 

“It’s their fault for being out and about alone.” The older one answered.  

“No, you agreed that on my turf, you would never do that.” JongUp replied, “Guess what, this is still my turf. So scram and find some chicks your age in the club or something.”  

“Why do you even care about random girls? It’s not like you’re with any of them.” They asked him, as the older one picked the younger one off the ground. 

JongUp narrowed his eyes at them, “What does it matter who they are to me? Everyone deserves to be protected at night. You should know that by now.” He said. 

“Of course, Moon. The righteous gangster that protects everyone that crosses his turf.” The older one replied, “Just wait, someone will deal with you soon enough.”  

“Is that a threat?” JongUp asked him. “You can’t back that up yourself. Look at you, you’re drunk out of your mind.”  

“Not from me. But soon, you’ll see.” The man said, moving away from the alleyway and heading out.  

JongUp sighed to himself as he picked up a cardboard box on the ground and threw it. He was still feeling frustrated from the day and he couldn’t figure out why he was so upset. It meant nothing that someone had bandaged him up.  

Nothing, no one cared. But Daehyun had said it wasn’t him, so who could it possibly have been? There was only one suspicious person and that had been Little Miss Perfect of the class. But she had no reason to help him, so that would make no sense. 

He groaned again, there was no way he could find out what happened. If he confronted her about it, then she would have every chance to deny it. So next time, he would just need to catch whoever it was in the act. 

On top of that, he was irritated with what that thug had said. Someone would be out to get him, that would mean he would have to be extra careful. He couldn’t risk getting anyone in danger, especially Daehyun. 

And he would need to find out who that girl was and talk to her. She couldn’t possibly be stupid enough to walk around the neighborhood this late. He would need to remind her that their neighborhood was not somewhere you could simply walk around any way you pleased. 

He sighed to himself, those guys were not worth his time and he was still frustrated over what had happened at school. But there wasn’t going to be anyone else out at this time, other than that girl, no one else was stupid enough to wander. 

He went back to his place and took his frustrations out on the punching bag he had made for himself. It wasn’t the same as connecting his fist to someone’s face but it would have to do. 

The next morning he headed into school and saw that he was yet again almost late. The teacher had given up on lecturing him for being late at this point and simply left it at that. JongUp slid into his seat quietly and the teacher continued the lecture.  

It wasn’t until after class that he was finally called on. “JongUp.” Mr. Kim said simply. 

“Yes.” He replied back casually, heading to the teacher’s desk. 

“Haeri.” Mr. Kim called her and she sighed to herself with a nod. JongUp looked at her and she seemed to know what was going on, even though he had no idea. 

“Yes, Mr. Kim.” She answered, bowing her head at their teacher. 

“I want you to tutor JongUp. I cannot let him fail his senior year no matter how much he wants to. I know he’s smart, he just refuses to do any of the homework.” Mr. Kim told her.  

“Very well, Mr. Kim. I’ll try my best.” She said, turning to JongUp. He looked at her with a glare on his face. She took out a small card that she kept for times like these, “I have a tutoring lesson right now, but when you have time feel free to call me and set up a meeting day.” She told him. 

“Who said I wanted help from you?” He retorted. “I don’t need to graduate.”  

Haeri pursed her lips together, “That might be the case in your mind, but I was told to try and tutor you. So until then, see you.” She said, walking out with all her books in hand. He noticed that she seemed to be in a rush and he rolled his eyes at her. 

“Why do you want me to graduate so bad?” He asked Mr. Kim who had witnessed their exchange. 

“We both know that you would be better off graduating. You can’t hide secrets here, besides, I’m sure you will realize that graduating high school is a better deal than not doing anything with your life but fight.” Mr. Kim told him simply, walking off. 

JongUp sighed to himself as he flipped the card in his fingers. All it said was her name and phone number, no address, or labels. He would try and figure it out later, first he had to go watch over his streets while all the kids were going home. 


Author's Note;;
Updated on here too~
woot :D lol. XD on a roll jk jk~
But seriously three updates in one day. :o 
Then again, I had some of all these updates done for the most part.
I just needed to finish them. ENJOY :D