Chapter 6. Discovery

Dark of the Moon

Haeri ran to the library right after she finished speaking with Mr. Kim and JongUp, Chanwoo always finished school right when she did. And he knew of the policy with parents so he tried to take his time because he didn’t want to be mean to Haeri senselessly. 

But JongUp had been a bit slow in his reaction time for her to not have to worry about being late in the first place. She rushed up the library steps and she saw Chanwoo in the corner of her eye, walking up the steps as well. 

She let out a sigh of relief that he had been later than usual and she sat down at their regular table just as he walked through the library doors. He threw her a small smile and he sat across from her. 

“One of my friends wanted to talk to me about his girl problems, sorry I’m late, noona.” He said to her.  

Haeri smiled to herself as he made this excuse but she knew he just had a feeling, “It’s okay, I just got here.” She assured him. “How was your test?” She asked him.  

“It went well, I got almost everything right. I missed two because I switched the answers at the last minute.” He said regretfully. “I knew the answer but I was scared it was wrong.”  

She shook her head at him, “It’s okay, Chanwoo. It happens all the time, you should always go with your gut answer. Because your mind remembers everything even if you can’t explain why you think it’s the right answer.” She said, “Anyway, what do you need help with today?”  

“Math.” He told her, pulling out his workbook. “I have homework and another test next week.”  

“Okay, let’s get started then.” She said, pulling out a piece of scratch paper and pencil so she could show him the way to solve the problems. They continued to go over every problem until he could solve it without any help from Haeri. 

They also covered all the review necessary for the test and completed the homework for his other subjects. They always went over time whenever he needed help on math, but his parents were always understanding of that. They always paid her for the extra time because Chanwoo continued to get good grades with her tutelage.  

Before long the sun had already gone down and Chanwoo was finally done with all of his homework just as the librarian walked over.  

“Excuse me, but we will be closing in 15 minutes.” The librarian said, informing all of the patrons that were still in the library. Haeri and Chanwoo both smiled at her giving a small nod, and packing up their stuff. 

“Thank you, Haeri noona.” Chanwoo told her and they walked out of the library together into the moonlit night. The soft light of the cars and street lights illuminated the darkness but it was still dimly lit compared to the lights of the library. 

“It is no problem, Chanwoo. I’m supposed to help you.” Haeri assured him, “Good luck on your exam again and see you next week.”  

Chanwoo gave her a half smile, “Are you sure it’s okay for you to go home alone at this time?” He asked her, they reached the bottom of the library steps and they were about to part ways. 

She sighed to herself, understanding the situation. He wouldn’t be allowed to walk her home despite it being late, but on top of that, she wouldn’t want him to know where she lived. But it was dangerous for her to walk home this late. “It’s nothing, Chanwoo.” She assured him, “I will be okay, get home safe yourself.”  

“You’re the girl, Haeri noona. You get home safe.” He argued, trying to get the last word.  

“Fine, have a good night Chanwoo.” She said, turning to the right as he turned left away from the library. She continued walking slowly until his back disappeared from view. She sighed to herself, this was not what she wanted to do. But Chanwoo needed help and she wasn’t going to turn him away. 

She slowly walked through the twists and turns that led her back to her house. The streets got dimmer and she could feel her eyes adjusting to the darkness. The street lights started flickering and some of them were already dead. 

The small alleyways were already filled with some of the people of the night. She made sure to avoid eye contact and they kept out of her way as well. She was not anyone important or worthy of their time, so she continued on her way. 

In her back pocket, she felt a buzz and she picked up within the first ring. “Hello?" 

“Go Haeri?” A deep male voice answered back to her. She looked at the phone in shock but she realized who it could have been. 

“JongUp? You’re actually calling me.” She said in surprise. “I didn’t think you would want to get tutored by me.” 

“You’re right I don’t but I’m not stupid enough to not give you a chance.” He replied back to her. “So we have to set up a tutoring appointment?”  

“Yup. I’m available on Tuesdays after school or Sunday afternoons. I have tutoring all the other days of the week.” Haeri explained to him.  

“Okay. Sunday afternoons work for me.” He said. She continued walking towards her house and the streets soon cleared up from all the people of the night. But soon there were dark alleyways where underhanded transactions were taking place. 

She felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end and she knew that someone was watching her. Whoever it was, was close. She suddenly felt very anxious and she turned her head slowly to observe her surroundings but there were no guys anywhere near her. 

“Sunday afternoons at the library then.” She said to JongUp on the phone but the anxiety made her voice squeakier than normal.  

“You walk alone a lot, don’t you?” He asked her on the phone.  

Haeri frowned to herself at the suddenness of his question. It wasn’t even in context with their topic, but she guessed that he had thought about after her tutoring lessons and she would go home alone. “Yeah, I finish tutoring late sometimes so I have to walk home by myself.” She answered him clearly. 

“You often live your school uniform on?” He asked her again and she could hear footsteps behind and without missing a beat, she started to pick up her pace. There was no way she was going to let someone get her tonight.  

“You are just full of surprises, Go Haeri.” He said and she heard it this time. She turned and saw him reach around before she could scream out. 

“Don’t do anything stupid.” He warned her and she nodded slowly and he gently removed his hand from . She noticed that he was not wearing his uniform unlike her. His warmth was better than the cool air of the night.  

He met eyes with her and scoffed, “You’re quite interesting, Go Haeri.” He told her and he took her hand and continued walking.  

“What are you even doing here?” She asked him carefully, but she continued following him. He was walking in the direction of her house but there was no way he knew where she lived. 

“The real question is, what’s Little Miss Perfect doing here?” He retorted back. “It’s quite a surprise to see you in a place such as this.”  

“This is not a big deal.” Haeri replied, “There is nothing wrong with me being here.”  

“It is when you don’t belong here.” JongUp said, “You shouldn’t be in this neighborhood.”  

Haeri stopped in her tracks and he noticed the tug on his arm when she pulled back. “This neighborhood?” She asked him.

“Don't you know it's dangerous at night? What are you even doing here?" He asked her again. 

“None of your business.” She said, pulling her hand away from him and running. There was no way he could find out. She would be ruined if he found out, the whole school would know, her reputation would go down the drain. 

“Hey, you.” He shouted after her, but she refused to turn around. He followed after her, but fell back as he waited for her to stop being so anxious. There was something he needed to learn about her. 

She wasn’t giving him a direct answer for any of his questions and that was a problem. He deserved an answer, especially if he needed to protect her from all the bad guys. He watched from an alleyway in the shadows as she looked around for him.  

She didn’t notice that he was hidden and he noticed she let out a sigh of relief, before opening the gate to a yard. His eyes followed her as she opened the front door and closed it behind her. He grinned to himself at his new discovery, so that was what Little Miss Perfect was hiding from him. But now he had to talk to her about it, especially since some of the dealers had seen him with his hand in hers.  

She had a lot of explaining to do, and he wasn’t about to let her off the hook. 


Author's Note;;
well another update guys :D hehe :3
I have to write one more to catch up to the other two. :o 
Lol. I wanna make this one and Kris&&Himchan finish at the same time. lol. 
Good luck to me. :o enjoy~ :o