Chapter 1. Go Haeri

Dark of the Moon

It had been raining all morning and the sky refused to let up, the heavy droplets hitting the windows of the classroom hard. It created a distraction that Haeri couldn’t take herself away from. The teacher had been droning on and on about the reading that they had to do for class, and she already finished it the night before.

The summary was mostly for people who didn’t do the reading, and almost everyone in the class didn’t do it. She watched as the droplets hit the window, a resounding smack with every drop from the sky. That reminded her, she needed to buy some groceries for the week, but it was raining too hard for her to do that.

They would have to understand that she couldn’t buy new groceries due to the bad weather, they probably wouldn’t but they weren’t going to get it themselves. So they would have to live with waiting another day. She felt a pair of eyes staring at her and she turned to look and saw that it was Youngjae, as always.

He always tried to get into her mind, that’s why. He wanted to know how she was always ranked above him, he scored better than her sometimes, and he was a man so he was better at physical education class as well. But she was always ranked first. 

She sighed to herself as she remembered the conversation that they had when she first beat him. He insinuated she was sleeping with someone to ensure her rank. But that wasn’t the case, she just studied harder than him overall to get more points.

She needed to study harder than him, if she didn’t then she wouldn’t get any scholarships. If she didn’t get any scholarships, then she wouldn’t get out of there. If she didn’t get out of there, well, that was a whole different story. For now, she just had to pay attention. The teacher finally got past the summary and started to explain the events of the war that they were studying.

He analyzed both sides and interpreted what he thought was the truth to them. It didn’t matter if it was real, he was making the test, so therefore, they had to listen. She took notes on his analysis as he continued on about the war. 

She refused to look around her in the classroom because she knew that would mean getting stares from other students. She didn’t like feeling their eyes on her, she wanted to stay unknown because if they knew anything about her then she would lose face.

She would be teased about it, especially given the reputation of that area but still, she didn’t have many friends either, she avoided letting people get near her. She wasn’t about to share her secrets with anyone here.

They wouldn’t know, they wouldn’t care. In fact, they were all her competition. She had to beat them to get a scholarship. She had to make sure she was always first, always beating Youngjae. He was rich, he wouldn’t understand. She continued to take notes when a crumbled up piece of paper landed on her notebook.

She looked around and saw that everyone in class was paying attention or at least pretending to. She opened it and saw that it had messy handwriting in it.

“Date me Friday night? -Kwangmin” Haeri looked around again and saw Kwangmin waving at her with a smirk on his face.

She opened up the note some more “Circle One Yes No” She sighed to herself as she took her pencil and circled “No.” She watched the teacher carefully before she tossed the note back to him with exceptional aim.

It landed on his desk perfectly and he looked at her in surprise. He opened the note before he sighed sadly. He feigned tears before turning away from Haeri. She let out a sigh of relief, he had taken that better than she expected.

But there was always going to be another guy that would try after that. She always received those little love notes in locker from guys who were too scared to come up to her. She hated it. It didn’t make any sense to her, why would you want someone that you knew nothing about?

Why would someone even bother with another person that they didn’t know? How could people see her and think of her as likable? She pushed people, she hated the attention that came with being ranked 1st. She also hated the side remarks that people made when she walked past them.

But she could live with it, if she just got out of there. She could live with all of it, if she just got herself away for college. She just needed the money to climb out of there. Which reminded her, she had tutoring today at the cram school down the street.

It was only means of income but it was easy for her, tutoring came easy. Life was hard. She had to be careful after she was done tutoring, it would be dangerous for her at night time. She couldn’t let anyone catch her, for there were worst things in her life than just stares.


Author's Note;;
WOOT. I finally got around to sitting down and writing the first chapter. lol.
So this is a small bit of Haeri, our top student, there's going to be more aspects to her, of course.
but for now, enjoy :D JongUp will be in the next chapter :3 <3

BTW, CHECK OUT MY TWINNY'S SHOP FOR POSTERS :3 <3 Or WHATEVER :D
[[CLICK HERE]]