Attentive

Before The Dawn

Thanks to Jia I somehow obtained a will to mingle with people. I would sit beside her every afternoon and although the room was crowded with strangers I felt so relaxed being with her and just listening to her stories. She told me about the people who lived here, drama, romance, the entire package. I always gladly listened.

Apparently I stayed under the roof of a great and powerful organization in South Korea, the LeeBrosCorp. Their intention was the cunduction of several operations whose purpose seemed to be cleansing the world of their most cruel enemy, a man and leader of a movement, whose name no one calls out.

Jia also told me about the kindness of the heads of the association and their devotion to science, which they used to help victims (like me) to regain strenght after the traumatizing happenings. But it turned out they weren't actually brothers, like their name would let one conclude - just three close friends who coincidantilly had the same last name and merged their wealth to reach their common goal.

Step by step I got what was happening around me and what I was doing here. I simply was one in a million. But that would also mean, Woohyun had an order - not more than that.

 

"Oh, you're going out again?"

Tiffany entered my room while I was pulled out a dark blue sweater from the closet. I nodded, as she put down a new pile of freshly washed clothes on my bed.

"I'm glad you socialize so much." She said offering a smile.

But something was odd today, I heard it in her voice. I put on the sweater, zipped it closed and looked at her. Sorrow was hidden behind her smiling eyes. As she noticed my questioning gaze she sat down on the bed.

There's news.

"There's news." She said as I predicted.

"Your blood results are ready and-"  Her face turns serious. "-it seems there's something wrong."

I indicated for her to move on, but it seemed like she had a hard time talking. Why did I feel so sorry for her all of the sudden?

"You really can't write down what happened to you down there, can you?"

No, I couldn't. After Changmin tried forcing a pen into my hand many times I was certain I couldn't. I didn't want to remind myself of what happened. I didn't want it to be real. All that mattered was that it was over.

A sigh escaped her lips as she didn't receive a reaction. Would I want to know what she had to tell me?

"Anyways, it seems like your cells are mutated in cause of a collision with an indefinable substance. But as far as our scientist can tell it is quite dangerous and they don't know how you were even able to, you know.."

She didn't want to go on, but I knew what she had in mind.

Stay alive?

Not die?

Not end up on a large field next to hundreds of other boys?

 

After Tiffany said she'll tell me if she would find out more about it and assured that I'll be alright she left the room. But how would she know I will. I left about 10 minutes after and walked along the corridor to get to my usual meeting point with Jia. It kind of became my routine to meet her at that time of the day.

I casually went ahead as I suddenly heard a soft sound escaping a room by the corridor. The door to it was shut up to a bit more than hand's width, but I could easily peek through, seeing only half of the room. It was a ordinary bedroom just like mine except there were a few books scattered on the floor.

I listened as more angelic sounds chimed across the room.

 

[[ That's what I had in mind with the voice/song, but you sure can use your imagination to think of something else! :) ]]

 

I winced at the familiarity of the voice. Could it be-?

Suddenly another voice interrupted the singing. A male voice. Also quite familiar.

"I can't stand how you sit so far away from me."

I leaned in closer trying to catch more sight of the room and the people inside as I recognized Jia on a chair, with a grey acoustic guitar resting on her lap. I however couldn't see the boy with her. She smiled - probably towards him - and stood up leaning the guitar by the seat. My curiosity grew, although I couldn't name that feeling at that moment. I wanted to know why she was there, with a guy, and not where I expected her to be waiting for me.

Unfortunately I couldn't peek in any further, because that would mean I'd have to push the door forward.

But what was I so scared of?

Would she have a problem with me eavesdropping on her?

No, she didn't seem like a person to be mad at someone for such a insignificant matter. But what if so?

 

I shook off those thoughts and decided to no longer waste my time with observing happenings that didn't have to do with me. I had seen enough anyways.

But was what that stinging knot building up inside of me?

 

Jealousy.