Trigger

Before The Dawn

M y u n g s o o

About eight hours passed when the Lee combatants finally reached through the barrier of the M.S.Os. Hundreds of men were there to save us and only around two thirds of them were still on their legs. The fight must had been bitter and sore, and it felt bed to be part of the people who couldn't do anything about it. As we got told, the M.S.O fleed last second, although it seemed like they were in the majority, which I perceived as quite strange.

Anyways, as soon as the message of victory reached us on the roof, everyone immediatly rushed down to the corridors - everyone at once of course. Since the hallway was full, I decided to abide on top for a while until the hustle would abate. I sat down dangling my legs through the railing and watching the Lee warriors resting and patching themselves up in front of the building. Some laughed together, some made phone calls, and I spotted one of them hyper-actively jumped around.

Why would these men risk their lives for some petty patients?

Why would they be confident that it payed out?

I'd probably never understand it.

 

Half an hour later the noises from the corridor downstairs died down. Nevertheless I stayed, enjoying the midday sun.

I leaned back on the floor and closed my eyes. I soaked in the warmth, literally bathed in it. The air was dry and sticky, although I was outside and it wasn't pleasent taking deep breaths. I felt glad being left alone, when a shadow blocked the light all of the sudden, causing me to slowly open up my eyes again.

"Are you the last one up here?" A muscular yet short guy looked down on me.

I simply nodded, not expecting him to ask any more questions, but as so often, I got proofed wrong. He sat down next to me, his look lost in the distance while he a strong sigh escaped his lips. He seemed to be one of the fighters, since he had bruises marking his face and he looked undeniably exhausted and tired. But despite his frazzle and his almost numb eyes, he noticed my curiosity.

"I'm Lee Howon." He introduced himself and held out his greeting hand into my direction. "Call me Hoya."

I briefly hesitated. Could he be one of the Lees? I responded to the handshake. "I'm Myu-Myungsoo." Gosh, it felt so odd calling out my name.

"Myungsoo?" His eyes widened.

Is there something wrong with my name? Muddled I locked eyes with his.

"Myungsoo.." He repeated, calmer and now deeper in his thoughts.

He stayed like that for some seconds, which felt like minutes since I wondered why my name gave him something to think of. Maybe he was someone I knew from high school back then and I didn't recognize him like all the others? No, he seemed way too mature for that. He was muscular and brave, he didn't seem like he had ever spent his time inside the library dug into books. I just couldn't imagine it.

Suddenly he broke into awkward fake laughter. It sounded almost mad, insane.

"What is it?" I asked with an annoyed tone, while piercing him with a sharp stare. I didn't like the thought of him laughing at me.

His bright smile immediatly died down, the corners of his mouth were still up, but his eyes reflected regret.

"I-" He paused and bit his lip as if he swallowed the rest of the sentence. "A friend of mine knows you."

"Ok?"

"I think so! I mean, I think he does." He quickly added. "You're a patient here?"

I slowly nodded without weakening my questioning glance.

"Aaah.." He nerviously looked around. What kind of situation was this? What made him so unsettled?

"I probably wouldn't remember him anyways." I said trying to break off the awkward atmosphere. "I have hardly any memory since I.. uhm.."

More awkwardness. I didn't mean to tell him anything, but my attempt to stop the constant stuttering between us ended with another unfinished sentence. But something told me that he knew more than he revealed, so I kept my eyes fixed to his expressions. He must had felt that I was observing him carefully, which porbably lead to what came after.

"I have to go, they may be wondering where I am by now!" He stated as he got up.

Before he turned his back on me, I at last asked him,

"Are you one of the heads? One of those Lees?"

His expression turned sour, as if that was a question he hardly tried to avoid. I just had to find out why.

His face was turned into my direction, but his eyes wandered around dodging my inquisitive stare.

"Uhm, yes, I am." He paused, taking a deep breath. "So you probably already figured out about Sungyeol." His face seemed regretful. For a rason.

 

 

Sungyeol.

Sungyeol?

Sungyeol.

My Sungyeol?

The Sungyeol?

Hearing his name out of someone else's mouth had a scary impact on me. It sounded so dangerous, so forbidden in my ears. He knew Sungyeol. Maybe it was destiny that on that one specific day, at that one specific time, that one specific guy sat beside me and revealed his identity. Maybe it was meant to be that I'd soon find Sungyeol. Maybe there was something that wanted me to feel exhausted, angry or even shattered about this situation and the thoughts about my long lost.. friend.

"Sungyeol?" I spit out his name like it was a disease, a burden for humanity. Hoya seemed surprised at my disgusted tone and took a step back.

"How do you know Sungyeol?"

"I-I work with him. I mean, he's my partner. He's-" He tilted his head and his voice got less shakier. "-he's a Lee too. Didn't you know?"

No, I didn't know. I knew - no - I thought I knew Sungyeol back then. I knew his favourite food, his favourite movie, his ideal type of girl,.. those kinds of things. But his last name? No. I might had forgotten it, or I never knew. I couldn't recall any memory of me asking him. There were only a few things I kept in mind over the years, but I forgot most of them.

But there was always that one face that never left my thoughts at any moment. It was always there, at the back of my head, watching me, observing me, every thought and action. Especially when I cried for help. But he wouldn't come. He wouldn't care. Those once so friendly and trusted eyes reflected nothing but coldness and abandon.

 

Hoya must had taken my speechlessness as a response and sat down again.

"I'm sorry, man."

He patted me on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry."

 


Sorry for the lame chapter, times are stressful! I'll try better in the future. Pinky promise.

I just didn't feel like writing the last few days so I kept this as a draft for a while and today I finally finished it. I'm not that satisfied but I'll have more time in the future caused by personal problems.

Idk.

Hope you liked it anyways!