Purposeless

Before The Dawn

I counted the drops from the ceiling for hours now. Up to this day I’m still wondering what the thin liquid consisted of, that kept me watching it drip while I waited for someone to rescue me from that tiny room I was locked in.

All this time I’ve spent here, there was only one thought that kept me from not giving up, not letting go of the weak string my life hung on. It was the silent promise an old friend gave me before I got tied up and thrown into that dark humid basement, that he would come for me so that he could explain to me what I did wrong to deserve all this.

 

I remember him looking after me with such a cold and offish expression that day, although I had always thought of him as such a warmhearted person. I just admired his certain way of telling someone how precious they are and it was the most wonderful feeling in the world hearing it from a person like him, at least I thought that way.

I also remember my fights with him back then, and how he’d sit by me all night so I could tell him how hurt I was and he would just smile at me and say: “I really can’t concentrate on what you’re saying when you cry so much, Myungsoo.” I would shout at him, be angry at him for saying something like that in my miserable situation, but he’d keep his smile, no matter how much I complained.

What was he thinking the moment I laid there, hundred feet under the ground? What made him leave me behind in this black hole for so long?

 

It must have been in spring, when the unpredictable happened. Since I stopped counting days for so long, I taught myself to be more attentive to what the warders were wearing, although they always wrapped themselves up in black coats which covered their entire face and body.

But their boots sometimes had clues to what was going on above this institution and I would always be worried how I’d hide my excitement about seeing snow for the first in a long time. I wasn’t allowed to show any positive emotions at any time, else I would give them the opportunity to take them away from me forever.

They called it ‘Emotions-Preservation’ when they caught someone smiling and inflicted them so much pain so that they would never stir a facial muscle again.

They always tortured in front of all the captured boys to scare them and make them more obedient. But throughout the time I’ve been there, the captives became less. In the end it even felt as if I was all alone down there.

No more whispering from the cells around me. No more torture exhibitions. No more life in this godforsaken hovel.

 

The event that turned my life upside down in pretty much every way possible happened right after my last injection before bedtime. I felt so tired for the last few months, as if my body got rid of any essence.

Of course, I obeyed as always, but it wasn’t even me who moved my flesh and skin anymore.

It was the rut I followed every day since my imprisonment and the aching wounds of the several needles pierced into my skin that covered any other pain that could be added to my dull existence.

 

But by the time the guard turned the key to lock me into my vault again, a siren, louder than I could ever have imagined in my days down there, went off and caused blank chaos on the other side of the door. Screams and running footsteps were added just a moment after. In shock I covered my ears and hid in a corner, waiting for the mind robbing noise to stop.

It felt like minutes had passed until it finally stopped, but by the time I looked up again, I saw a boy. He wasn’t one of the prisoners. At least he didn’t look like one wearing a leather jacket and skinny jeans instead of old shaby rags. He was about my age, with messy dark brown hair and a calm intent look.

“I’m Woohyun.” He said. “And I am here to rescue you.”

 


Sooo, this is the first chapter of this 'thing' I've been writing for a while.

How do you like it?

Don't hesitate to leave a comment, but I won't ask you to subscribe (which is why I didn't enable 'Subscribers Only'), because that's everyone's individual choice. If you like it, I'm glad I could entertain you!

Thank you!