Darling Can We Dance

My Best Friend's Hot

“Hey Kyungsoo!” Dani says as she waves Kyungsoo over.

Kyungsoo never thought that’d he’d join a book club, but recently hanging out with Baekhyun translated to hanging out with cheerleaders and Kyungsoo surprising gets along well with them, despite having such polar opposite personalities. Actually Kyungsoo thinks that it’s because of their sunshiny personalities that he gets along with them so well, especially Dani. She has one of the brightest personalities Kyungsoo has ever seen in a person, and a brilliant, large smile to go along with it.

 

She’s the main reason he even joined the book club in the first place. After he discovered that they’ve read a lot of the same books and liked a lot of the same authors, they really hit it off. Dani then began to urge him to come with her to her book club and meet other people who also liked the same books, and to also discover new books (and friends). It went from “I’ll go to check it out” to coming every Thursday afterschool.

 

It’s not just Dani who’s in the book club either; a lot of other cheerleaders have also joined. Some join because they enjoy reading, some because they need to read more, and some just to have something else to do. Dani’s girlfriend, Kala is one who joined because she needs to read more. Initially she did it just to support her girlfriend, but after a lot of pestering from Dani, she finally started actually reading the books.

 

Kyungsoo takes a seat next to Dani and Caleb, another cheerleader, and gives a small greeting to the rest of the group. The faces he knows from the cheer squad excluding Dani, are Caleb, Sophia, and Chastity, all avid book readers, and Kala and Harley, both trying to improve their literature. Besides them there is also Justine, on the newspaper team, Tania, a new sophomore, and Lee, a junior on the student council. It’s a group that Kyungsoo feels comfortable with. He feels like he can just relax and be a kid who enjoys reading rather than the student council president.

 

When the meeting ends, Kyungsoo walks with Dani and Kala back to Dani’s house. She doesn’t live far from the school and usually Kyungsoo hangs out with her after the book clubs meetings until he has to go home and make dinner.

 

“Soooooo,” Kala says with a smirk, “you going to the party tomorrow night?” she makes suggestive noises and nudges Kyungsoo with her elbow.

Kyungsoo just laughs. “You know Baekhyun wouldn’t let me miss it. He’s way too excited.”

“Oh yeah!” Dani says, “didn’t Trey ask him to be his date?”

Kyungsoo nods. It’s all Baekhyun’s been talking about in the past two days, and honestly Kyungsoo’s excited for him. Like it isn’t everyday that Trey Colburn, hot senior on the soccer team and total infamous partygoer, asks you to a party. That’s like finding a golden ticket in a Willy Wonka chocolate bar.

 

“And?” Kala presses.

Kyungsoo looks away. “And what?”

Kala rolls her eyes. “Aaaaaand, who are you going with?”

Kyungsoo shrugs his shoulders. He knows who he would want to go with, but unfortunately that looks like its never going to happen ever.

 

“Well, I know someone who would love to take you!” Kala says.

“Kala!” Dani exclaims, giving her a look and jabbing her with her elbow.

Kala jumps back pouting. “Ouch! What was that for?”

Dani just shakes her head. “You really don’t know how to be discrete.”

Kala’s mouth hangs open in offense. “W-what? It was totally discrete! I didn’t even say Caleb’s name!”

“Oh, great!” Dani throws up her hands and continues walking away, shaking her head. “Really great, Kala.”

Kala stays rooted to her spot, huffs, and crosses her arms. “I just-, I just wanted to help!” she calls after Dani.

 

Kyungsoo stands halfway in between where Kala stands and where Dani has stopped, not knowing what to say. It takes him a moment to process everything. “Wait,” he says holding his hands up at his sides. “Are you guys saying that Caleb wants to take me to the party tomorrow night?”

Dani just crosses her arms and gives Kala a hard look. Kala, knowing she has lost this incomprehensible fight, throws her hands up in defeat. “Alright! This one is on me. I fully take the blame. Look, Kyungsoo. Caleb’s been lowkey crushing on you and he talked to us about taking you to the party, but he didn’t want to be turned down so he asked us to discretely find out if you’re interested.”

 

“Uuuuhh,” Kyungsoo needs another moment to process that a boy has been crushing on him. Repeat. A boy has been crushing on him. “Wow, I really couldn’t even tell.”

“Really?” Kala says, “Because everyone and their momma could see it a mile off.”

“Oh,” Kyungsoo says, not really knowing how to respond to that. Is he oblivious? He’s always thought of himself as super aware of everything around him, people especially. He’s spent such a long time observing people, and learning how they act in certain situations that he for sure thought he would be able to notice something as simple as flirting.

 

Kala slings an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “So is that a ‘yes’? Or even a ‘maybe’? We can work with a ‘maybe’.”

“Yeah, I mean, yes I guess,” Kyungsoo says. He doesn’t have too much experience in this department. Things have always been a little backwards for him. For once, Kyungsoo actually feels like a high school teenager.

“HA HA!” Kala shouts and jumps, fist-pumping the air. “Seeeeee, Dani. Nothing to worry about! It all worked out fine.”

Dani just smiles, finally giving in to her girlfriend, and accepts being pulled into Kala’s side, where Kala keeps a hand curved around Dani’s waist.

 

 

~*~

 

 

Baekhyun slides up to Kyungsoo’s locker, slamming into the neighboring one and slapping Kyungsoo’s locker door shut. Kyungsoo jumps back in surprise, holding out his hands in defense. Baekhyun stands in front of him, a pissed look on his face, and a hand on his hip. “So. A little birdy told me you have a date to the party tonight. A little birdy NOT named Kyungsoo.”

“Uh, look Baekhyun. I wa—,” Kyungsoo starts, but is cut off by Baekhyun.

“Why! After everything we’ve been through!” Baekhyun presses his thumb and forefinger to the bridge of his nose, lips trembling. “I just—,” Baekhyun takes a deep breath and clears his throat. “I just want to be here for you, Kyungsoo. How could you do this to me? I had to find out like this? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Baekhyun!” Kyungsoo says as he grabs the boy’s shoulder. “He hasn’t even asked me yet!”

 

All at once the sniffles and tears are gone. “Oh. Alright, yeah that makes a lot more sense,” Baekhyun says. “Sooooooo. Caleb Blackwood. Oooooh, mysterious last name don’tcha think?” Baekhyun waggles his eyebrows, teasing Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and pushes Baekhyun’s face away, but smiles nonetheless. “I mean he’s on the cheer squad, but he’s more of a literature guy, you know?”

“Total hipster!” Baekhyun says with glee.

 

“What? No way. Come on, Baek. Don’t be like that,” Kyungsoo says. “Caleb’s nice. He’s cute, he’s smart, he dresses well, he—”

“He’s totally loaded~” Baekhyun sings, interrupting Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo playfully hits Baekhyun’s arm. “Come on, don’t. He’s nice.”

“All I’m saying is that you should totally hit that,” Baekhyun says. “I mean just imagine all the great gifts; you’d probably get to go on fancy vacations with his family, it’d be sooo awesome and I’d benefit from it too, being your best friend and all.”

 

Kyungsoo sighs and shakes his head. “Alright, I’ve got to head to the student council room. You coming?”

Baekhyun nods and they turn down the hallway, stopping at the door of the student council room.

“Uuuuuuhh, Kyungsoo? Aren’t you always the one to unlock the door first thing in the morning?” Baekhyun asks. Kyungsoo nods. “Yeah, then why is the door unlocked and slightly open?”

Kyungsoo gets his serious face on and slowly pushes the door open, flicking on the lights.

 

“Holy mother of balls,” Baekhyun breathes out in wonderment. Roses adorn the table, along with heart cutouts, and in the center a white heart shaped stone with a balloon tied to it. Caleb stands at the head of the table.

Speechless, Kyungsoo approaches the table. As he nears, Caleb reaches over, grabs the heart shaped stone, and holds it out for Kyungsoo to take. “Since I’m too nervous to say the words out loud…”

 

Kyungsoo takes the stone. Carved into are the words “Will you be my boyfriend?”. Kyungsoo is shocked to say the least. Noticing, Caleb fidgets. “Well, I wanted to ask you to the party, but the more I thought about the more I knew that it wouldn’t be enough for me. Kyungsoo, I don’t know you incredibly well, but I want to change that. The parts of you that I have seen have left me longing for more,” Caleb laughs lightly and looks down trying to hide the blush threatening its way to the surface. “and, and I just can’t seem to get enough of you.”

 

There’s a high-pitched squeal that ruins Caleb’s perfectly romantic moment. Baekhyun holds a hand over his mouth and holds his phone up in the other. “This is just too cute!” he gushes.

“Are, are you recording this right now?” Kyungsoo asks, turning after being distracted by Baekhyun.

“Of course I am!” Baekhyun says. “After all, this is the first time a boy has asked you out, like, ever.”

“Oh my god, Baekhyun!” Kyungsoo shouts as he gives Baekhyun a deadly stare.

 

“Uuuhm,” Caleb clears his throat awkwardly. “well I want to ask you—”

“Wait!” Baekhyun interrupts again and both Kyungsoo and Caleb give him annoyed looks. He holds up a hand. “Sorry, sorry, the recording stopped and I need to start another video…… uuuuuuuuuhhhhh, okay. Start!”

Anyways, Caleb, as you were saying,” Kyungsoo says.

Caleb gives a hesitant look at Baekhyun before continuing. “So, will you do me the honor of being my boyfriend?”

Kyungsoo smiles, picks up a rose from the table, and hands it to Caleb as he says, “I’d love to.”

 

 

~*~

 

 

The problem with love is that it never comes easy. Sometimes the love that does come easy doesn’t stay easy, and sometimes the love you have to work on the hardest, is the easiest to keep. The problem is that Kyungsoo doesn’t know which is which and where or who or even what. Loving Jongin seems to come so easy for him, while loving Caleb may take some time. But being with Jongin is not easy at all; while being with Caleb has been the easiest start of a relationship he’s ever had.

 

So the question is: is the love that comes easy but doesn’t stay easy Kyungsoo’s love for Jongin? Or is it that Kyungsoo needs to work harder on their love and that love will be kept? Everything is too confusing and it makes Kyungsoo feel stressed. He doesn’t need any more stress in his life. He just wants to stop feeling bad. He just wants to not care anymore.

 

 

~*~

 

 

“So, we’re both supposed to be staying over at Dani’s house, okay? Don’t forget it,” Kyungsoo says as he primps his hair for the hundredth time.

Baekhyun waves him off. “Yeah, yeah, I know. Would you stop messing with your hair? I swear you’ve just spent 5 minutes making your hair look exactly the same as it did 5 minutes ago.”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, but steps away from the mirror anyway, plopping down next to Baekhyun on the couch. “Caleb and Trey are supposed to be picking us up at 9 right?” he asks.

Baekhyun groans. “For the millionth time, yes. Just relax, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo sighs. “I know, I’m sorry. It’s just, I don’t know. I want this to work out. I really do.”

 

Baekhyun stops for a moment and observes his best friend. It’s silent for a minute until Baekhyun says, “Are you going to tell me what’s been going on with you, Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo doesn’t meet Baekhyun’s eyes and instead lets out another sigh, shaking his head like he’s trying to pour out unwanted thoughts. He gives Baekhyun a not-so-reassuring smile. “You know me….I’d deny I was in pain even if the knife was still stuck in my chest.”

 

Worry settles deep in Baekhyun’s eyes and he puts a hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, turning the boy to face him. His eyes scan Kyungsoo, but as always, never much is revealed. “We don’t have to go to the party if you don’t want to. I’m serious. I’ll be just as happy staying up with you all night, eating junk food and watching movies.”

A genuine smile blossoms on Kyungsoo’s face this time and he shakes his head. “I need this, Baekhyun. I need to go out and have fun; I need to be with a guy who actually likes me. It’s nice to be wanted and I need to remember what that feels like,” he says, but doesn’t go into further details.

Baekhyun knows when not to push, so instead he makes up his mind to make sure Kyungsoo forgets all his worries this evening. “Okay then, it’s decided! We’re going to live as though there’s no tomorrow!”

 

As soon as Trey pulls up, the two are out the door and bounding into the car. It’s not the nicest car in history, Trey wasn’t known for being a party animal for nothing, but it was decent enough (i.e. no vomit stains to be seen). Baekhyun climbs into the front seat while Kyungsoo slides into the back next to Caleb. From the mirror Baekhyun can see the dreamy smile Caleb has on his face as he slips an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders, leaning in and whispering something.

 

\Baekhyun’s attention is drawn back to the front when he feels a hand slide up his thigh. He can’t say that it doesn’t inflate his ego, but he decides to play it cool. “Shouldn’t you focus on the road? Don’t want to die before we get to party,” he says with a grin so Trey knows he’s not being completely serious.

Trey just laughs and pats Baekhyun’s thigh before returning both hands to the wheel. “Don’t worry, Princess. I’ll get you there in one piece.”

 

~*~

 

Arriving at the party is like a scene from a movie. Teenagers are everywhere, red solo cups, loud music, and confetti. The whole nine yards. Baekhyun looks back and he can tell that Kyungsoo is already on edge. There are too many people, but the protective arm Caleb secures around Kyungsoo puts him more at ease, despite the attention they get when they walk through the door. Entering the party, Baekhyun feels like a celebrity on the red carpet or royalty, or both. Everyone cheers and greets them, ing cups of mystery alcohol into their hands, and yelling something incomprehensible in an overexcited manner. All the attention fuels Baekhyun’s inner being and he feels so alive and ready to party.

 

After socializing and downing some shots of alcohol, Baekhyun feels an arm wrap around his waist, pulling him into someone's chest. He turns his head to see Trey smiling while dragging them out to the dance floor. It throws Baekhyun off a bit because he’s never really dealt with someone so…..foreword before, but he only smiles in response. The makeshift dance floor is thumping with uncaring teenagers and a heavy beat that Baekhyun feels more than hears. Trey doesn’t let him turn around, instead settling for grinding right away. Baekhyun’s a bit embarrassed, especially with so many watching eyes, but does his best to forget about it and enjoy himself.

 

He’s released some time later with little warning. Trey’s fast paced and hectic nature leaves him confused half the night on what’s going on. One minute he’ll be talking and laughing with a group of people and then the next, Trey is grabbing and pulling him to dance. That sometimes lasts a while, and sometimes it lasts about 3 minutes before Trey sees someone else he knows, leaving Baekhyun a step behind and wondering why he’s suddenly dancing alone.

 

Kyungsoo, despite being nervous in the beginning, actually starts to enjoy himself once some alcohol is mixed into the equation. He doesn’t like getting actually drunk, but he does appreciate the benefits that come with drinking. He owes it to alcohol that he can dance uncaring and freely, laughing along with Caleb as they have fun together. More than once he looks up to see Caleb’s smiling face and is glad he accepted Caleb’s confession, glad he came out tonight.

 

In just one moment the dance floor goes from moderately filled to everyone pushing the furniture to the sides and making grind-trains. Pumped up on the high of the atmosphere, Kyungsoo lets Caleb pull him into a cheering crowd. Everyone is egging each other on with y dancing, competing with each other, and just having fun. The cheerleaders group and start doing over exaggerated y cheers, cutting it short in favor of pulling Kyungsoo with them and dancing “sensually” on each other. Then suddenly everyone is laughing and joining in, and honestly Kyungsoo can say that it’s the first time he’s been surrounded by so many people and still feels good.

 

It feels great just to be able to have a fun time with friends, no overthinking things. Caleb had gotten lost in the crowd, probably somewhere during the time when Dani and Kala decide to make him their exotic dancing pole. Kyungsoo is still having a good time though. He feels good dancing. He feels good just letting himself go and not having to care about appearances.

 

Kyungsoo feels warmth close in behind him, hands sliding over his body, and a body moving with a familiar rhythm, one fitting perfectly with his own. He opens his eyes to see Caleb swooping in to dance in front of him, but he doesn’t need to turn around to know who it is behind him.

Jongin.

He doesn’t want to worry about this right now. Kyungsoo is tired of always worrying, always fighting. For once, he just wants to just go with the flow. So he leans back into Jongin and pulls Caleb so that they’re chest to chest and just dances. 

 

 


 

 

ooooooooo ksoo gettin it on yall

trey isn't the best date is he? :/ poor baekkie

who will come save his night?

will ksoo successfully dance the night away?

\( ' o')/  who knows!

 

hint: (it me)