Not According to Plan

My Best Friend's Hot

Kyungsoo stares at the paper in front of him. It’s like some kind of nightmare come to life. He really didn’t think the proposal would go through, and yet before him sits the ugly red letters of approval. APPROVED. The proposal has been approved by the administration. In fact, the administration absolutely loved it. Kyungsoo thinks that maybe the administration just really hates the seniors.

“Hey, there buddy. It’s not so bad,” Baekhyun says gently from his side, softly patting the distraught boy on the back. “I mean I’m sure you’ll fetch a good price…”

 

Kyungsoo turns his head slowly with eyebrows furrowed and eyes searing. He says nothing, but lets out a heavy sigh and slumps down in his seat. How does one even get auctioned off? Will he have to stand there in agony as people in a darkened audience raise their numbers silently sealing his fate, while a man on a podium shouts out the numbers to his worth? What if no one wants to buy him? The horrid thought strikes through Kyungsoo’s mind and he groans at the potential humiliation. He can just imagine standing up there awkwardly shuffling as everyone pretends to look at something more interesting than him. Maybe someone will raise their hand out of pity and buy him for a dollar. How embarrassing would that be?

 

Baekhyun looks over at the slumped boy and racks his brain for something encouraging to say, but draws a blank. He isn’t all that confident either and the reality of the situation is starting to sink in. He knows why Kyungsoo is worried. It’s the same reason he’s worried. Even though a lot of people know Kyungsoo, they aren’t really his friends. Even though Baekhyun broke into Chanyeol’s friend group, they’re just that: Chanyeol’s friends. Not his. Besides the only person Baekhyun wants to go on a date with is Chanyeol and the possibility that Chanyeol will buy someone else is higher than Baekhyun would like it to be.

 

Recently, Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s friendship has been better than ever, but nothing more than just friendship. A couple of weeks ago when Chanyeol was staying over at Baekhyun’s house, they began talking about crushes and relationships. Baekhyun was curious about Chanyeol’s relationships in the three years he was abroad, and there was more than enough information shared. That conversation (unfortunately) led to Chanyeol asking about a senior in Baekhyun’s class. She is one of Baekhyun’s sort of friend, in that she is friends with everyone and that just so happens to include Baekhyun. That’s just the way Ahn Noel is: friendly, open, fun, a social butterfly, and to top it of, a good student. Baekhyun likes her, as do most of the students.

 

It makes sense, he supposes, because she’s also a cheerleader and all of the athletics students know each other. Chanyeol is bound to interact with her, and really there isn’t anything to dislike. He also knows she won’t turn down the invitation to be auctioned off; its to raise money for prom after all. This could be Chanyeol’s chance to get to know her better, and even though Chanyeol tried to brush his interest off as casual, Baekhyun could definitely tell it’s more than that. The only real hope he has to cling to is that, last he heard, she’s been talking to Kris. But that was months ago and no new news from either of them has been released.

 

The more Baekhyun thinks about it, the more depressed he becomes and he too slumps forward onto the table. The bright red ‘APPROVED’ letters stare at him and he turns his head away and decides to take a nap, even if it means skipping next period. Baekhyun was never too keen on showing up to class anyways. Its not like he can compete with her anyways, not with her perfect attendance record. It’s not like she’s supermodel gorgeous, but she’s pretty and down to earth looking. If he really thinks hard, Baekhyun can even imagine the two together. They look good. And really, will Baekhyun be all that upset about it? She’s nice, pretty, and even let him borrow eyeliner before. They would probably make pretty babies. Have a beautiful wedding that he can get drunk at.

 

It wouldn’t be that bad.

 

Its not like he’s a bad friend who wouldn’t support them.

 

But…

 

Really, she would look even better with Kris.

 

They could have an even more beautiful wedding that Baekhyun can happily go to with Chanyeol as his date.

 

Baekhyun sighs deeply and decides that the floor will be more comfortable. He slides off the chair and underneath the table. Kyungsoo soon follows suit and they curl up underneath the table to mourn together.

“Don’t you have a class next period, Kyungsoo?” Baekhyun says.

Kyungsoo nods, but doesn’t move. “Its fine. Its an easy class anyways.”

Baekhyun nods with understanding and they close their eyes, the sorrow allowing them to drift into a world where date auctions don’t exist, a world of peace and harmony.

 

~*~

 

An insistent knocking wakes Baekhyun up from his midday slumber. He groans and shuffles up groggily, rubbing from sleep his eyes.

“Wakey, wakey, sleepyheads,” a deep voice resonates underneath the table, followed by a chuckle.

Baekhyun mutters something unintelligible and stares up, eyes squinting at the looming figure bending down to see under the table. Kyungsoo shuffles awake as well, leaning his head against Baekhyun’s shoulder as they try and regain their senses.

“Why…?” is the first understandable thing that comes from Baekhyun’s mouth.

The figure’s only answer is a laugh and the shutter click of a camera. That wakes him up. Byun Baekhyun does not take bad pictures, and he is not cute when he first wakes up.

 

“Hey!” he shouts, limbs springing into action as soon as the shutter clicks and he scrambles out from underneath the table. “What was that? Did you take a picture? Park Chanyeol, you delete that this instant! I told you to never take a picture of me when I first wake up!”

A garbled grumble comes from Kyungsoo, now lying on the floor since his prop has been removed. Unfortunately for him, the unintelligent noise goes unnoticed by David and Goliath as they struggle against each other for Chanyeol’s phone.

“Its fine! It’s a cute picture, I swear!” Chanyeol yells while holding his phone high above is head and trying to push Baekhyun off from climbing him.

Baekhyun, who has made it to Chanyeol’s torso, curses and reaches for the phone, but to no avail. He slumps and slides down the lanky giant’s body and onto the floor. He’s way to emotionally drained for this. “You’re no fair...” the boy pouts and crosses his arms before falling over on his side. Why did the world hate him?

 

“Hey, hey now,” Chanyeol says as he sits next to him and lifts him back into a sitting position. “don’t be like that. It’s a cute picture, I promise.” Baekhyun only goes limp and leans on Chanyeol’s chest. “Look, I’ll show it to you.” He pulls his phone out a safe distance away and pulls up the picture. Baekhyun peeks an eye at it and hums. It wasn’t as bad as he thought and plus Kyungsoo looked super cute. He grumbles and Chanyeol takes that as the okay to keep the picture. Not that he was going to delete it.

 

“Why’re you here anyways?” Baekhyun asks. He decides that Chanyeol’s even more comfortable than the floor and acts accordingly.

“Why’re asleep on the council room floor underneath a table with the class president?” Chanyeol counters.

“I asked first.”

“Well, I asked a better question.”

Baekhyun frowns but decides he’s too tired for mind games right now. “We became depressed after the date auction was approved, so we decided to sleep through the next period.”

Chanyeol almost jumps up in excitement, but is stopped by a grumble. “It got approved!” he says, his million-dollar smile lighting up the room’s dim atmosphere.

Baekhyun nods sullenly and Chanyeol frowns.

“Why’re you guys so upset about it? I thought it was a great idea.” Chanyeol says.

Baekhyun scoffs. “Maybe great for you and the rest of the underclassmen.”

“Aww,” Chanyeol nudges Baekhyun, “it won’t be that bad. I’m sure you guys’ll fetch a good price.”

Baekhyun just shrugs his shoulders. “Maybe…” he mumbles.

 

“Alright, if you’re going to be so bummed about it, I’ll make you a deal.”

Baekhyun opens his eyes to see Chanyeol grinning. “A deal?” he questions warily.

Chanyeol nods. “Yeah, if no one really wants you then, to save you from humiliation, I’ll buy you for, like, $3.” He laughs and Baekhyun pulls his hand back like he’s going to hit him.

Baekhyun huffs and slumps harshly back down on Chanyeol. “You keep your $3, I’ll get some else to buy me.” But of course, his voice holds no malice or truth. Hell, he’ll be happy if Chanyeol buys him for 10 cents that happens to be left in the back pocket of his jeans.

 

~*~

 

For some reason time flies by and before they know it, the date auction has come upon them. A lot of the seniors got out of it by saying they had other things to do, but a fair share are herded to the gym and onto a makeshift stage. Most of the attendants are juniors and the rest are sophomores, usually friends of either seniors being sold or juniors who dragged them along. A select few are curious bystanders who want to know what a date auction is.  Once everyone is filed in and settled down, the auction begins with the Junior Class President explaining the rules and how a date auction works. Each senior to be auctioned will be called and walk out to a song of their choice. The auctioneer will announced their name, a description of the date, one or two talents, and the starting price. Other class officers are situated around the audience and help will regulate who raises their hand and for what price.

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo stand with the rest of the cattle behind the makeshift stage nervously listening to the excited chatter that arises after the Junior Class President finishes her announcements. The order they walk out in is alphabetical by last name, so Baekhyun and Kyungsoo will go in the earlier half. Its way too early in their opinions, but on the bright side at least it will be over quicker. The two friends don’t speak much as they wait, both too nervous to form a cohesive sentence. Even though he has become more social this year with Chanyeol and his friends, Baekhyun can’t be sure if any of them are at the level to pity buy him. He couldn’t ask. That would have been too embarrassing, especially if they didn’t want to.

 

 Baekhyun wrings his hands as the first person gets called on stage. It’s a lesser-known senior, but a senior well incorporated in a friend group and he is bought for $30. That’s a good start. A really good start that Baekhyun doesn’t want to drop. Only three more people to go until it’s his turn and he’s torn in between wanted it to be over and wanting it to last forever. He snaps to attention as the next name is called. Ahn Noel. Baekhyun’s heart picks up speed and he worries his bottom lip in anticipation and hope. Hope that maybe Chanyeol won’t buy her. The bid starts and it picks up rapidly going from $5 to $10 to $30 really quick. Baekhyun can’t bring himself to look at who’s biding, not that he could see from behind the stage anyways. It caps off at $50, its announced, and time seems to slow as the syllables roll of the Junior Class President’s tongue.

 

“And sold! For $50 to Mr. Park Chanyeol!”

There’s this sinking feeling that settles with an ‘I told you so’ from that one voice inside his head and he can only nod and sallow hard as Kyungsoo pats him on back.

 

If Baekhyun was nervous before, he might be having a full on anxiety attack now. In some hopeful way he had been relying on Chanyeol to buy him if no one else does, but now… it’s a free for all. Baekhyun can’t stop fidgeting even as Kyungsoo scolds him and tells to cut it out as he is pushed forward. Baekhyun realizes that it’s his song and his turn so he puts on a practiced smile and gets in the zone of his song. He lets Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé wash away his nervousness as the remix of Feeling Myself blasts over the speakers. It calms him down and by the time the song is cut off, Baekhyun feels a lot better. He just needs to have confidence in himself because, let’s be real, he looks too damn good to not have this go great. Maybe someone’s deep-set crush on him will bring itself forth.

 

The bidding starts off a normal pace, a few surprises every now and then, but not bad at all. There’s a group of underclassmen prompting each other to bid and he recognizes a few who he shares classes with. Its kind of cute and he feels all warm and fuzzy watching them timidly bid on him. Baekhyun thinks that maybe this won't end so bad, it wont be amazing or anything but it’s something, when all hell breaks loose. One bid from one guy, and all hell breaks loose. The bid hits $25 and is moving up to $30 when Cash raises his hand and takes the bid. The response is immediate.

 

Cash is a student, a junior, and a soccer player. He’s been on the soccer team since his freshmen year, not amazing but not bad either. He has a lot of odd talents including stacking things on his head, playing the spoons, and having impeccable balance, but overall is an average guy. In fact, he would be just another side character to everyone’s lives if it weren’t for one very odd fact, the very thing that got him the name Cash. Ever since elementary school, Cash has been known to have cash on him whenever, wherever, and whatever amount needed. It seems like magic to everyone how he just pulls out wads of cash from the most random places, and it’s always enough! He is never short on cash, pulling it from his pockets, socks, shoes, bag, shirt, pants, but never his wallet. That’s what makes it weird, but not only that. Whenever his friends would search him for money, pull at his cloths, go through his bag, they would never find anything. It was so strange that by middle school he had coined the name Cash and went by it exclusively. Now, no one even remembers his real name.

 

Of course, this isn’t what made his bid on Baekhyun so provoking. The thing about him is that he is a member of the soccer team and Baekhyun is best friends with the newest, hottest basketball player at the school. There has always been a rivalry between the two leading sports at this high school. Every year both programs compete to be the best for the school, never once being able to keep the title of leading sport for long, the teams were just too good. It’s a healthy rivalry, no real malice or violence ensues, but it wasn’t always like this. Years ago the rivalry was very real and got very dangerous, so much so that the school would be split into fans of the basketball team and fans of the soccer team, and school rallies could become dangerous as each tried to smite out the other for the #1 title. Two brothers changed this. They were each other’s best friend, other half, twin, and they aimed to change the hostile air between the two sports team. They loved both of the sports and supported each other as team captain of the basketball team and team captain of the soccer team. Needless to say, it worked, and everyone realized they had gotten way out of hand with this rivalry thing.

 

But to keep up the good spirit of competition, the two programs are still widely known rivals, just not a violent and hateful kind. They compete every year to be the best, but there is no bad blood between them, only healthy pranks and cheeky gestures of taunting. That’s why when Cash, known and beloved soccer player, bids on Baekhyun, best friend of the boy who made basketball number one this year, all hell breaks loose. As soon as Cash bids $30, another member of the soccer team bids $35, and another after him. The basketball team immediately catches on and they too start bidding. Baekhyun is theirs, a proclaimed basketball fan by association with their new golden boy, and they’ll be damned if he is bought by the soccer team. Suddenly its right vs left, soccer vs basketball, in the audience. The rest of the students are wrapped up in the drama, some thinking its only right for Baekhyun to be bought by a basketball player and others thinking that the rivalry should have nothing to do with this and so what if he goes on a date with a soccer player?

 

Up on stage, watching this whole mess unravel, Baekhyun is ecstatic, elated, blissfully joyful. This is more than he could have ever hoped for and as the numbers increase, so does his ego. Soon it has surpassed $65 and is still going up. Somewhere in the back of his mind Baekhyun knows that this is all about the rivalry, but he really doesn’t care. They are fighting over him.  His bid is going to hit the triple digits soon. How awesome is that!?

 

At this point Cash is fully annoyed but plays along with this little game his teammates started. Well, technically he started it, but its not like it was on purpose. Cash really loved his teammates but they were the mischievous type always looking to stir up trouble. One of his friends had noticed Chanyeol’s face when Cash bid on Baekhyun. It looked as though it bothered him a bit, even though it didn’t bother him when the other kids bid on his best friend. No doubt Chanyeol knows all about the rivalry, that’s always a must in the hazing ritual, and didn’t quite like the idea of his best friend having a date with a beloved soccer player. It almost undermines him in a way and it seemed like he realized that. Of course the soccer team can’t resist teasing the newest and greatest member of the basketball team, now could they? All to Cash’s dismay. He decides to end this, the bid at $85, by pulling out a wad of cash and yelling out his bid for $150.

 

The gym is silent as people’s jaws drop. Cash is sure that 150 is an end all, no one else would be willing to surpass it, and he’s right. The Junior Class President clears and looks around the murmuring room.

“Okay then. $150 going once! Going twice! ….Sold for $150 to Cash!” she calls out as she slams down a gavel sealing the deal.

Cash decides to pay upfront and walks up to the side stage to fulfill his promise, all eyes on him as he counts out $150 for the vice president who collects the money in a bag and clears him of his debt. He looks up just as Baekhyun is walking off stage and makes eye contact. Baekhyun looks shy and a little bewildered, but happy. He gives Cash a smile before walking backstage. Cash thinks he made a pretty damn good decision. 

 


 

introducing my own character Cash! aha

we'll get into people's thoughts and kyungsoo's auction in the next chapter

what a developing story

i wrote a full outline, like details and everything man

i hope you're enjoying this as much as i am

<3