Love Is Understanding

My Best Friend's Hot

Chanyeol is stunned at Baekhyun’s outburst and doesn’t know what to do. He feels like he might have done something wrong, but he doesn’t know what. All he wants is to protect Baekhyun. It takes a second after Baekhyun leaves the room for movement to set in again. As if his body has been jump-started, Chanyeol jerks out of his stupor and follows Baekhyun. The door to the bathroom closes just as Chanyeol rounds the corner and he prays that it’s not locked.

 

It only takes a few long steps until Chanyeol’s hand on the doorknob and twisting it open. He must’ve opened the door too suddenly because Baekhyun gasps and jumps back, covering his face with his hands.

Chanyeol steps in and closes the door behind him. The bathroom isn’t very large, but Baekhyun still makes a move to turn away before Chanyeol catches him gently by the shoulder. “Baekhyun,” Chanyeol’s voice comes out in a whisper, “why are crying?”

Baekhyun wipes his eyes with the back of his hand and shakes his head. How is he supposed to explain all of it to Chanyeol? Would Chanyeol even be able to understand? Deep down Baekhyun knows Chanyeol doesn’t mean any harm, but Baekhyun still can’t help but feel hurt. “It’s just,” Baekhyun takes in a shaky breath, “is it so hard to believe that someone like Jora would be into me, would want me because they’re attracted to me?”

“What?” Chanyeol doesn’t know how Baekhyun came up with such a thing, although if he really thinks about it, Chanyeol can kind of see where Baekhyun got it. “No! No, come on, Baekhyun. Didn’t we already have the discussion of how you’re more attractive than you thought?”

“Sure, but,” Baekhyun locks his gaze onto the floor, “that’s like all made up, with clothes and stuff. I mean I know how to make myself look good. But without clothes and stuff…well I’m not the most in shape person, you know?”

 

For the third time that afternoon, Chanyeol is floored. It’s true that since he’s been back he’s never seen Baekhyun in a top with sleeves shorter than just above his elbow or shorts…well, ever. It never really occurred to him that there was a reason for it. Actually, the most Chanyeol has seen of Baekhyun was earlier on the couch and it was just a glimpse before he averted his eyes, so he can’t really say he knows what Baekhyun looks like. Chanyeol finally is able to gather a response. “Well, it's not like that really matters, because no ones knows what you look like without your clothes.”

“Except for Jora,” Baekhyun says with a saddened tone.

“Yeah, but—”

“But what, Chanyeol?” Baekhyun interrupts, “If Jora was just doing all of this for s and giggles, that means he was pretending to be into me, that he lied to me, and he’s probably laughing at how stupid I am for believing someone like him would ever want someone like me, and know he knows what I look like underneath. Chanyeol, I’ve never even changed in a locker room. No one has ever seen me without my clothes on; I don’t even take off my shirt when I’m swimming, and I know I’m not terribly overweight, but I don’t have a guy body. And now Jora knows, and if it was all pretend then I’ll be humiliated, Chanyeol. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to me.”

 

The confession flows out of Baekhyun’s mouth in a flurry of words that’s been sitting unspoken for years. It’s the first time Baekhyun has told anyone about it. Hell, it’s the first time he’s ever spoken the words out loud, but there’s something freeing along with terrifying about having his secret be spoken aloud. He afraid of what Chanyeol’s response will be, but at the same time, he’s relieved that someone else finally knows how he feels. Baekhyun wants to see the expression on Chanyeol’s face, but he can’t bring himself to look so instead he waits for Chanyeol to say something.

 

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol says gently, “Hey, look at me.” He brings his fingers to touch lightly under Baekhyun’s chin, urging him to look up. “Baekhyun, that was really, really brave of you to tell me that, and I am so sorry for not being more considerate.”

When Baekhyun finally looks up, he’s relieved to see that Chanyeol’s eyes hold no pity. “You didn’t know,” he says.

Chanyeol shakes his head. “Still, I was too harsh on you. I wanted to protect you; my intentions were good so I assumed I wasn’t wrong, but I was. I should have gone about it in a better way, but, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, I’m kind of a dense person.” That brings a small upturn of a smile to Baekhyun’s mouth, and he nods in agreement. “Yeah, see, you know I’m dumb, so you’ve got to help me a bit by telling me in detail the things that bother or hurt you. I have a hard time figuring those things out, and because of it, I wind up accidentally hurting people. I don’t want to hurt you, Baek.”

 

Baekhyun smiles but there’s still sorrow that lingers behind it. He wants to be happy at Chanyeol’s words, but he knows that despite all of Chanyeol’s good intention, Baekhyun’s heart is still going to be the one broken and Chanyeol is still going to be the one that breaks it.

“You’re not happy,” Chanyeol says. The light that Chanyeol hoped would return remains missing. He can’t understand why Baekhyun isn’t happy, but he can still tell the difference between happy and sad, especially in Baekhyun.

Baekhyun just shrugs. “I don’t know, maybe I just need some time to recover.”

 

Chanyeol mulls over their conversation, convinced he missed something. “No,” he says as he remembers something that wasn’t quite explained.

“No?” Baekhyun questions.

Chanyeol shakes his head. “Yeah, I did miss something,” he locks his eyes on Baekhyun’s face, “What made Jora so important that you, who’d never even changed in front of someone before, would let him see you? You said that if it was pretend then that meant he lied to you.”

 

Baekhyun knows that Chanyeol is just trying to be a better friend, but he really doesn’t want to have to tell Chanyeol, especially since he’s dense and needs everything explained to him. “I don’t know if you really want to know what that was all about,” Baekhyun says as he fiddles with the smooth fabric of his shorts.

“Well, now I have to know,” Chanyeol says with his unrelenting gaze still on Baekhyun.

Partially because he knows how stubborn Chanyeol is, and partially because he wants to know what Chanyeol’s reaction will be, Baekhyun gives in. “Okay, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Chanyeol doesn’t buy it. “I think I’ll be fine.”

 

Baekhyun takes a deep breath before beginning. “Well, while we were on the couch I noticed that Jora seemed to keep looking at my, uh, thighs.”

“Wait,” Chanyeol interrupts, “those shorts go down to your knees, how could he see anything?”

“Oh, well these shorts are kind of big on me so when I sit comfortably on the couch they always fall up,” Baekhyun explains and Chanyeol gives a ‘huh’. Baekhyun continues. “So anyway, were sitting pretty close and when I move to crisscross my legs, I overlap kind of, like, on him a little bit and he, like, instinctively puts his hand on my thigh.” Chanyeol looks as though he wants to say something but he holds back. “Well, some stuff happens he accidentally gets a bit handsy and then I about having a thigh , but it turns out he does have a thing for thighs and a thing for people who are soft and a bit chubby, so yeah.” Baekhyun shrugs. “I don’t know it’s just that I’ve always been self-conscious and then suddenly there’s this smoking hot guy who tells me that the very thing I’m self-conscious about is the thing that really turns him on. He made me feel good about myself.”

Even Chanyeol has to admit that all of that is a bit much to pretend. Now that he understands everything, he’s starting to feel like he acted like a complete . “Okay, so maybe I was wrong about Jora.”

Baekhyun squints his eyes in suspicion at Chanyeol. “Really? You’re not just saying that?”

Chanyeol sighs. “Yeah, because I mean all of that is a bit far for pretending and Jora hates making more effort than he has too.” Saying it, Chanyeol knows that it’s true, but that steaming ball of anger directed towards Jora doesn’t go away. In all honesty, Chanyeol was the in that situation, not Jora, so Chanyeol has no right to be this angry with him, yet he still just wants to pummel Jora into the ground.

 

“So, you’re admitting that you wildly overreacted in a completely inappropriate way?” Baekhyun asks.

Instead of answering, Chanyeol says, “So, if Jora has a thigh and he was on top of you and you weren’t wearing pants, then that means he…you let him do…what exactly?”

Baekhyun coughs awkwardly. “Chanyeol, I know you’re dense, but you can’t be that dumb. I think you can figure it out.”

“So he felt you up some, with his hands, and then you made out? Or more than that?” Chanyeol asks without shame. When Baekhyun doesn’t answer, he presses on. “Did he get all weird with it?” Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “Okay, so some fooling around, undressing? Was it, like, what? ? Light ? Or was it—”

“Yes!” Baekhyun suddenly interrupts, unable to take any more, “Yes, okay I guess you could say, “light ”, whatever, just stop.”

Chanyeol nods and takes in a quick breath. There’s really no reason he should want to cheese grate Jora’s face and yet… “So, like his mouth was just like everywhere?”

“What’s with you, Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asks. Chanyeol’s reactions are confusing at best. Baekhyun doesn’t really know what to make of it. “Are you angry?”

Chanyeol throws his hands in the air. “Who the hell knows, Baekhyun? Because I sure don’t.” he pauses for a moment looking at Baekhyun. “You know, Baekhyun, Jora isn’t special. He isn’t special for liking soft bodies, okay? I mean, who wouldn’t like to be with someone who is pleasant to hold and hug and do other various things with, alright? He’s not, like, a superhero or something that you should just give yourself away to. He could totally be horrible at and you would’ve been so disappointed.”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t know if he should laugh or not. Chanyeol’s outburst is so childish it’s funny, yet he’s completely serious. Honestly, Baekhyun doesn’t know how to respond so he just says the first thing he can think of. “Well, I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t give my ity to him then.”

For some reason, the thought that Baekhyun might be a never occurred to Chanyeol and so it smacks him right in the face. “You’re a ?”

This time, Baekhyun can’t hold back the laughter. “Please Chanyeol, tell me that’s not a serious question.”

“Sorry,” Chanyeol says, and then he sighs. A lot has happened in the span of one day, but now Chanyeol is able to look and see more of who Baekhyun really is. Having a relationship with someone and getting to know them is not always going to be fun or easy, but getting through the tough times is what makes it worth it. And to Chanyeol, Baekhyun is worth it. They’re probably going to have more fights and more misunderstandings, but he knows that Baekhyun will always be his constant.

 

Assuming that Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s friendship would just fall back into place was wrong, and maybe that’s why they remained distant. But now there’s this bond that Baekhyun can feel between them. It’s a single bond created by a single instance, but it’s there and it’s unwavering. Baekhyun knows that this bond will be the base for all the others. This time, he and Chanyeol can really begin again on a deeper level.

 

They stand a moment in comfortable silence, looking at each other knowing that they’re finally on the same wavelength. As if it’s the most natural thing in the world, Chanyeol steps forward and Baekhyun welcomes him in an embrace. The hug releases all the previous tension, the fear, the distance, and acts as a silent, final closure so that they can begin their relationship again. Not everything has been put out in the open, but it’s a start, and time is on their side.

 

Chanyeol can’t even remember the last time he hugged someone like this. He lets out a relaxed sigh and leans his head on top of Baekhyun’s. When he takes in a deep breath, he catches the scent of coconut and honey.

“Hm, Baekhyun,” he whispers, “The smell of your hair is making me hungry.”

Chanyeol feels more than hears Baekhyun’s laughter and they pull away. “I’m actually pretty hungry too,” Baekhyun says with a smile, “let’s see if there’s anything good to eat.”

 

After rifling through the kitchen and pantry, the boys discover that there’s absolutely nothing to eat, or rather nothing they’d want to spend time cooking. They look at each other and come to the same conclusion: takeout.

“Pizza?” Chanyeol suggests.

Baekhyun nods. “Pizza. You order. And do half just plain cheese pizza.”

Chanyeol shakes his head. “You’re missing out on all the good stuff. You can’t eat just plain cheese pizza forever. One day you’re going to have to make the adult decision and order a Supreme.”

Baekhyun wrinkles his nose in distaste. “Never.” And Chanyeol just chuckles and abides his wishes.

 

After searching the house to scrounge up the last bit of cash and change needed, the boys make themselves comfortable on the couch as they wait for their delivery. Baekhyun flips through the TV channels trying to find something he likes, but Chanyeol isn’t paying attention to the TV. His mind flashes back to what was happening on this very couch not too long ago. When he thinks all the way back to this morning it feels like three days instead of one.

 

Chanyeol looks over at Baekhyun. The boy is sitting with his right leg bent up to his chest where he rests his right arm, apparently deciding that holding his arm up to flip channels takes too much effort. His other leg dangles down off the couch, but his position isn’t what catches Chanyeol’s eye. Just as Baekhyun said earlier, the slinky, smooth fabric of his shorts has fallen all the way down, even to the point that the hem of his boxer briefs peeks through. Not only that but the more Chanyeol looks at the shorts, the more he thinks that those might actually be his shorts and maybe even the very shorts he’d been looking for all last week.

 

“Are those mine?” Chanyeol questions.

“Are what yours?” Baekhyun turns to look at Chanyeol and then follows his gaze down to the shorts. “Oh, uhm, I don’t know. Probably.”

“Stand up, let me see the tag in the back,” Chanyeol says as he urges Baekhyun to stand.

Baekhyun stands and Chanyeol pulls the elastic back just enough to expose the tag. Sure enough, right on the back of the tag, are his initials in black sharpie. His mother refuses to give up the habit even though it makes him feel like a little kid. To her defense, Chanyeol does have a knack for losing his belongings. Case in point.

 

“Hey, I’ve looking for these!” Chanyeol says, “Where and how did you even get them?”

Baekhyun, who seems undisturbed that he caused Chanyeol to go mad for about a week searching for the shorts, just shrugs. “I don’t know. Guess they were in my laundry. Maybe don’t leave your stuff lying around.”

Even though it’s probably Chanyeol’s fault, he doesn’t want to take the blame. “Or maybe you took them.”

Baekhyun laughs. “Okay, why would I want your sports shorts, Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol scoffs; offended that Baekhyun would use such carefree words to describe his shorts. “I’ll have you know, Mr. Byun, that these aren’t just some “sports shorts” as you so ungracefully put it, but are very high quality. Only true athletes get to wear these kinds of high-quality shorts, Baekhyun, of which you are not.”

Without taking his eyes off the TV, Baekhyun just simply says, “Okay.”

Chanyeol shakes his head. “You’re a disgrace to athletic wear. Take them off.”

 

This time, Baekhyun does turn to look at Chanyeol with an amused expression. He looks as though he’s going to tell Chanyeol that he’s being ridiculous, but changes his mind. With a smirk he says, “No. Sports shorts are comfy.” And returns to the TV.

Chanyeol laughs to himself. So, Baekhyun wants to play a game. Well, Chanyeol was born to play the game. “I’m only going to ask you nicely one more time, Baek. If you don’t comply I’ll have to adhere to my athletic duty.”

Baekhyun just smiles and brushes Chanyeol off with a, “Mmhmm.”

“Alright, don’t say I didn’t warn you,” Chanyeol says in a singsong-y voice just before he tackles Baekhyun over onto the couch and starts to tickle him.

 

Baekhyun lets out a shriek and fights back with all his might, but Chanyeol has the upper hand.

“This is unfair!” Baekhyun yells, doing his best to block Chanyeol’s hands.

“I warned you!” Chanyeol laughs evilly, “Now you have to punished for disrespecting the shorts.”

Not one for endurance, Baekhyun cries defeat. “Okay! Okay! I’m sorry, I’ll take the shorts off, geez.”

Chanyeol sits back in victory as he watches Baekhyun catch his breath. “Hand them over,” he says haughtily.

 

Baekhyun has a moment of fear undressing in front of Chanyeol, but if he could do it in front of Jora then he can do it in front of Chanyeol. Besides, Baekhyun trusts Chanyeol more and he needs to do this for himself too. Baekhyun shouldn’t be ashamed of himself. Like ripping a Band-Aid off, Baekhyun slips out of the shorts before he can think about it anymore, and playfully chunks the shorts at Chanyeol’s face.

 

Of course, being an awesome athlete means that Chanyeol has awesome reflexes, so it’s not like the shorts hit him in the face because he didn’t react fast enough. The reason is that Chanyeol was more focused on if Baekhyun was actually going to do it. He wouldn’t say testing how much Baekhyun trusts him was his entire motive, but, sure, it played a factor. And the risk was well worth it. Chanyeol can’t really describe the feeling of relief and happiness when he saw Baekhyun barely hesitate to undress in front of him. It’s like another layer unfolded itself, allowing their relationship to grow a little more. So, so what if the shorts caught him off guard and hit him in the face? Baekhyun’s trust in him has grown and that’s the real reason Chanyeol feels like a winner.

 

“Thanks for being such a good sport,” Chanyeol says sarcastically, but he’s smiling and there’s no real bite in the words.

Baekhyun just shrugs with a smile. He’s too busy thinking of what he’s supposed to do next to give a proper response. Does he go put something on now? Is it weird to stay with no pants on? Now that he’s overthinking it, he starts to feel uncomfortable. It’s not like his boxer briefs cover a whole lot and Chanyeol wouldn’t want to see that. Or would he not care? He decides that he should play it safe and goes to put something on, but when he stands to go to his room, Chanyeol catches his arm and pulls him back down to the couch.

 

“I know you weren’t just trying to go put on something,” Chanyeol says, mischief hiding behind his eyes.

Confused, Baekhyun says, “I may have been?”

“No. Not-uh. No, sir,” Chanyeol says shaking his head, “you’ve got to receive discipline for your horrible sportsmanship, so get comfy because Predator vs. Alien is on and watching it is also part of your discipline.”

“Nooo, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun whines, “you know I don’t like those types of movies.”

“Too bad, so sad, little soldier. This is tough love so you can learn to appreciate the finer things in life, like the entire Predator/Alien franchise,” Chanyeol looks off wistfully into the distance, “it’s a work of art, I tell you, a work of art.”

 

Baekhyun sinks back into the couch as Chanyeol hooks an arm around his shoulder, to make sure he doesn’t escape of course. The position is more natural than Chanyeol thought it would be and he’s relieved. He lets his body relax against Baekhyun’s and they lapse into a comfortable silence, focused on the movie. Truth be told, Baekhyun has never even seen a trailer for Predator vs. Alien; he just assumed he wouldn’t like it. By the time the first commercial cuts, Baekhyun’s interest is piqued but he doesn’t want to show it.

 

“Sooooooo,” Chanyeol says as he rocks his body with Baekhyun’s in an attempt to jangle the truth out of him. “You like it, right? Riiiiiiight?”

Baekhyun tries to remain coy and just shrugs, avoiding eye contact with Chanyeol. “I don’t know. It’s okay I guess.”

Chanyeol smiles and squeezes Baekhyun closer and jostling him. “You totally love it!” When Baekhyun doesn’t answer, Chanyeol jostles him harder. “It’s so cool, right?!”

This time, Baekhyun breaks from his act and laughs, pushing back at Chanyeol. “Okay, okay. It’s kinda cool, okay?”

“You’re not just saying that so I’ll leave you alone?” Chanyeol asks with a suddenly serious face.

Baekhyun smiles and meets Chanyeol's eyes. “I promise,” he says, “it's actually pretty epic.”

 

Chanyeol is stunned into silence, but he doesn’t know why. He feels like he’s suddenly ben submerged into water. It’s not unpleasant, the opposite actually, like finally jumping into the deep end of the pool on a hot summer day. There’s a pleasant chill of the water mixed with the adrenaline of the submergence, and all the noise is muddled. You’re just suspended in space, everything is calm, and it feels like you could stay there forever, but then it's suddenly over and you’re breaking up through the surface slightly disorientated.

Maybe that’s why Chanyeol unthinkingly blurts out, “I love you.”

 


 

 

seeeeeeeee its chanbaek

they can finally start a real relationship 

now the problem is how is the between jora and baek going to affect chanyeol????

whats cash gonna do now poor guy just aint got what it takes

lmao jora knew baek for like a day and got farther with baek than cash ever has daaaaaamn buuuurn

will cash become weird and creepy or will he back out of the race gracefully?

(lol i luv drama he gonna get weird u kno what i mean)

dun dun duuuuunnn tune in to find out

its gonna b gr8 m8

hope you enjoyed :)