Two's Company, Three's A Crowd, Four's Claustrophobic

My Best Friend's Hot

Kyungsoo’s heart beats so rapidly he thinks it might beat straight out of his chest. After the whole ordeal with Baekhyun, Kyungsoo is relieved that things worked out for him but is more afraid now than ever about someone wanting to buy a date with him. His nerves are buzzing as his turn comes up and his heart pounds in his head when his name is called. Then its like everything stops and is replaced with confusion and, after that, appalled realization, because he let Baekhyun choose the song he walks out too and that was a clear mistake. Kyungsoo shakes his head as he covers his face in his palms and walks out on the stage, face flushing in embarrassment because Ms New Booty by Bubba Sparxxx ft Ying Yang Twins blares over the speakers, and on top of that the crowd is hooting and catcalling him as he tries to melt into nothingness. Alas, all eyes are on him and he’s center stage.  

 

Once the Junior Class President calms everyone down they start the bidding. Kyungsoo should be happy because there are quite a few hands popping up, and by all means his auction is going well, but he can’t help but feel his heart drop from his chest when he sees Kim Jongin leave the auction. Rationally, he could think that it’s just a coincidence (very plausible) but somehow he just can’t get his heart to believe that. It stings and Kyungsoo swallows that ball of insufferable itch that seems to be constantly in the back of his throat. He hates that he’s so affected. He hates that Jongin finds it so easy to keep going and pretend that nothing happened. Like it didn’t mean anything to him. It probably didn’t mean anything to him. Oh, when Kyungsoo thinks about it, the solid clarity of it all seems to weigh down on him like a lead blanket softly and gently placed upon his shoulders and laid over his chest, constricting a little tighter the longer Kyungsoo has to keep a smile on his face.

 

~*~

 

He knows he’s being cold. But it’s for the best. Kyungsoo wouldn’t know it, but it’s best for them both. It just wouldn’t work out, it couldn’t. It’s not like he planned on any of it happening. It wasn’t supposed to happen. He would never be able to explain it. No one ever understands. They don’t know how it is for him. He knows he would never be able to make Kyungsoo see why they couldn’t happen. No one ever understands.

 

~*~

 

“Hey man, its nothing to be upset over. Stop pouting, you just got a date with the hottest girl in school,” Jora clamps a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder and shakes the younger boy’s head around trying to lighten up his crummy mood.

“ that,” Kris says lowly, “the soccer team is ing with us. They started it this time because the basketball team is more popular this semester!”

Chanyeol pouts. “Who is Cash anyways? What’s up with that name? Who even calls themselves ‘Cash'?” he mumbles.

Jora laughs at the two. “Come on, aren’t you guys taking the soccer team too seriously? You know how devious that bunch can be.” He sits in between Kris and Chanyeol, arm around each of their shoulders. “Look, if the soccer team wants to play, then we gotta step up to the plate. By tomorrow everyone in the school will know what Cash did and how he “stole” one of ours. Even though it was literally an ‘open for all’ auction where literally anyone could buy a date with him.”

 

Kris nods seriously, his chin with his pointer finger and thumb. “You’re right. I won’t be the captain who let the basketball team be made a mockery of.”

Jora rolls his eyes.

Chanyeol nods too, just as serious. “They targeted me by targeting my best friend. They took him like some sort of claim. We can’t have that.”

“I won’t allow it,” Kris says.

Chanyeol turns to face Kris. “Captain, what should we do?”

Kris turns to Jora. “Jora, you’re good at ideas, what do we do?”

 

Jora looks a little dead inside, but decides to just humor them anyways. He has always found the fake rivalry funny, but a little pointless to exert too much energy into. Well, if there’s one thing he’s good at, its stirring up trouble. “Well, first we can’t have Cash and Baekhyun go out on that date alone together. That would be the prime time to take him to the dark side,” he says with a serious tone.

Chanyeol and Kris both nod thoughtfully. “He’s right,” Kris says. “Chanyeol, convince him to drop the date or go on a group date or something.”

“I don’t know if he’ll go for that, Captain,” Chanyeol says, “but I can try something.”

 

Jora nods and stands suddenly. “Weeeell, I’ll let you boys figure that part out and I’ll just be heading out now.”

Kris gives him the go ahead with a wave of his hand. “We’ll call you if we need you.”

Jora smiles tightly and nods, what in the world did he just get himself into? “…Sure.” He knows the captain is a serious guy, but this kind of seriousness is the last thing he expected from Chanyeol. Chanyeol has always been very laid back and relatively cool with anything. Maybe no one told him that the rivalry is fake?

 

~*~

 

Cash sits atop an old wooden picnic table that’s been pushed against a tree in the corner of the courtyard enjoying the ending moments of his free lunch period. He pulls out a fruit rollup, rolls it out to get the plastic off, and then rolls it back up in a tight cylinder. He takes another, unrolls it and then wraps it around the fruit rollup cylinder for more density. Cash takes a juicy bite and savors in the fake processed fruit flavor as he enjoys a midday breeze. His life has been rather pleasant in the last 24 hours, and he plans on it getting even more pleasant pretty soon. But before he can let his mind wander into daydream land by staring at the clouds, a face is suddenly blocking his view.

 

The bright smiley face of Noel brings his attention from his fruit rollup and the clouds to her. He raises an eyebrow as she holds a little container out to him.

“Look, I made your favorite! White chocolate and Macadamia nut cookies!” Noel smiles real big and jiggles the container of cookies.

Now, Cash has known Noel for a quite while now and the last time she spontaneously brought him cookies without him at least hinting at wanting some, she had lost his all time favorite lucky pen. So, the first thing out of his mouth is, “Why?” with a narrowed and suspicious look in his eyes.

Her smile turns sheepish and she climbs on top of the bench to sit next to him. He sighs, knowing she’s about to ask for a big favor and knowing he won’t refuse her, digs into the cookies.

 

“It’s just that I’m a cheerleader, right?” she begins.

Cash nods. “Right,” he says over his mouthful of cookie.

“And we cheer and support all of the sports teams,”

“Uh-huh.”

“-so we can’t be bias or anything towards one sports team.”

Cash stops chewing.

“Really, it was the girls who brought it up, but if I go on a date with Chanyeol the—,”

“Nope,” Cash says as he pushes the container off his laps and hops off the bench tabletop to start walking away. He knows exactly what she is getting at, but he wants no part in it.

 

Noel rushes after him. “Cash, wait!” She catches his arm and tries to maneuver herself into a hug, but Cash remains lifeless. “I know how much you want this with Baekhyun, believe me I know and I would never want to mess that up, but you inadvertently started a rivalry and the girls are upset and I don’t want the cheerleaders to have to choose whose side they’re on. That’ll pit us against each other, and as the captain people will say I’m not capable of keeping the team together, and really if we just double date it really will help everything and show that the rivalry won’t get serious.”

 

Cash heaves a sigh and pulls his arms around Noel, resting his chin on her head. “I know; I just wanted an actual date. I even already planned the whole thing out…”

“Oh, Cash I’m sorry!” Noel pulls back and there’s guilt written all over her face. She doesn’t have any right to ask him to give up the very thing he’s been wanting for a while, but she knows she has too for the sake of the team.

Cash looks at the guilt on her face and begrudgingly feels guilty for not thinking about the rest of the sports teams. “I guess it can’t be helped,” he says sulkily, “but I refuse to be happy about it.”

Noel looks relieved. “Thank you so much! Really, Cash, thank you,” she pulls his hand into hers, “you know just because we’re double dating doesn’t mean you won’t get to be a proper date. Its mostly just for show, so we can be near each other, but be on separate dates.”

Cash nods. He hopes so.

~*~

           

When Cash told Baekhyun that they would be double dating with Chanyeol and Noel, Baekhyun had been elated at the news but now that they’ve finally shown up, a weird tension settles over the two couples. Baekhyun’s not sure what it is because from picking him up to walking to the restaurant Cash has been nothing short of a wonderful date, and he’s sure Noel has been delightful for Chanyeol. It's just that when they all meet up a cloud seems to settle over them. Cash is notably down and Chanyeol has this weird strained smile on his face that usually signals distress, but Baekhyun can’t figure out what would be causing him distress. He meets eyes with Noel as they take their seats across from each other, sliding in along the booth’s bubble padded bench. They both look to their dates, who are still standing, with confused faces. It isn’t until Noel makes eye contact with Cash that he takes his seat next to Baekhyun, and therefore across from Chanyeol who follows the action only after Cash sits.

 

Baekhyun clears his throat trying to shake the strange air between them and picks up a menu. “So, are we eating eating here or is this just, like, snack eating?” he looks at his phone, “It’s still pretty early in the evening so if we want to catch dinner at an actual restaurant we can just order something small here.”

“Hey!” Chanyeol frowns offended, “This is an actual restaurant.”

Again Noel and Baekhyun make eye contact before, at the same time, saying, “No, this is not a real restaurant.”

 

“This is a local burger joint owned by your coach, Chanyeol,” Noel says. She knew letting him choose the location would be a mistake. Micky’s (humbly named after the coach) practically oozes grease and sweaty sporty teenagers. Sadly, not a cute date spot, but the boy doesn’t exactly strike her as the romantic type.

Baekhyun laughs at the offended look on Chanyeol’s face. “Kinda like Part 2 of the boy’s locker room,” he says, “Way to be romantic, Park.”

Noel lets out quick laugh before covering in attempt to console her now grumpy and embarrassed date. “Aw, that’s okay. This place makes really great shakes and sundaes, so we can just grab a quick snack before heading out.”

They all nod in agreement, Chanyeol only pretending to hide his pout behind the menu, and begin looking through the various snack choices Micky's has to offer.

 

Cash slides in closer to Baekhyun and peers over to look at his menu. “You find anything you want?” he asks in a quiet voice.

Baekhyun hums and taps his finger over the picture of a sundae. “I want that, but I don’t think I’d be able to eat it all.” He wonders momentarily if he can order half a sundae.

Cash smiles. “Well, it’s supposed to be shared, you know. We can get one together if you want to.”

Realization that he is in fact on a date and people on dates share things like this dawns on Baekhyun’s brain and he feels dumb so he just nods and tries to keep that embarrassed flush down. Well, its not like it’s his fault for never going on dates. It’s every cute guy’s fault for not asking him. They’re the reason he has no experience and is right now awkward as hell because he doesn’t want Cash to think he doesn’t want to act like he’s on a date.

 

To his relief, Cash just laughs, seemingly noticing his internal panic but he doesn’t comment on it. “Anything else you want?”

The question surprises Baekhyun and he fumbles with the menu momentarily while letting out a very cute, “Uuuhh”. When he finally regains his motor skills he realizes that no, he doesn’t want anything else so he just shakes his head ‘no’. Really, it’s Cash’s fault for throwing him off with that question.

But Cash just smiles and says, “Okay, I just wanted to make sure before we ordered. What do you want to drink?”

“Just water is fine,” Baekhyun answers while nodding his head for no reason at all. The movement just feels right. He mentally scolds himself because he’s being awkward on his first official date and that is not cool. Relax, Baekhyun he says to himself.

 

Noel can’t help the blooming flower of endearment she feels towards Baekhyun as she watches his internal struggles play out on his face. She decides to pitch in and try and help both him and Cash, since she still feels guilty for encroaching on his date. 

“Hey Baekhyun, I really like your eye makeup today,” she says, which isn’t a lie at all. Noel has been admiring the work since they arrived. It’s a subtle smoky look with dark browns, orangey-tan, and a hint of gold, like an amplified natural look for the evening. It blends in well, so at first glance it doesn’t seem like he’s wearing any makeup at all. It makes his eyes look bright and a bit mischievous.

 

“Thank you!” Baekhyun’s face lights up. He doesn’t have anyone who he can talk to about his makeup obsession, not even his mom who thinks he should spends his hours somewhere else. She always wears only minimal makeup, saying it takes up too much time and effort for a workingwoman. She never stops him from buying it though, just doesn’t understand it. That being said, Baekhyun is always ready with a million and one things to say to anyone who takes interest in his makeup. “I usually go for darker/cooler colors in the evening, but lately I’ve been trying to switch it up and experiment. I liked the way this came out so I thought it’d be nice for an evening date since it’s still a bit dark but also has a warm feeling to it.”

“Yeah, it came out really nice! I too usually go for cooler/darker colors for the evening and night,” Noel says as she gestures to her own navy/grey eye makeup. “Natural tones have always felt like a during-the-day look, but you did it so well it really fits a going-out-for-the-evening look. You’ll have to teach me how you did it.”

 

Little fireworks explode in Baekhyun’s eyes. No one has ever asked him to teach them how to do makeup. He’s only ever forced Kyungsoo to be his practice model, but the boy kept his eyes so wide the whole time nothing worked out. “Sure!” Baekhyun exclaims. “I’d love to teach you, or even do some makeup on you. If you want me to, of course, but I’d love to have you as a model to try some different looks on.”

“Really? I’d love to!” Noel can feel her excitement rising just with the thought of spending hours playing with makeup. She too loves makeup passionately, but has never had the guts to go out and try anything really crazy or over the top. “There’s a whole bunch of stuff that I see on, like, celebrities and such that I want to try, but I’ve never been able to bring myself to do it. I don’t want to find out how terrible it looks on me.” Noel laughs and makes a face.

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. “Oh please, you’d look great in anything.”

 

Noel laughs again and waves her hand like she’s trying to shoo away a bad memory. “Oh no, I tried one once and it did not end well for me.”

“Maybe you just weren’t doing it right,” Baekhyun laughs, “Trust me, you get someone who knows how to properly do makeup and I guarantee it’ll come out great.”

“Someone like you?” Noel says.

Baekhyun grins and places his palms to frame the bottom of his face in the shape of a V. “Exactly!” he says in self-boast.

 

Two of them ramble on about anything and everything, discovering that they quite a lot in common, until the food arrives, but not even the food can stop this new found friendship. Noel seems to forget that she is supposed to be helping Cash have a cute date with Baekhyun and that Chanyeol exists. The topics they breeze through come and go so fast that by the time Chanyeol and Cash figure out just what in the fresh hell they’re talking about, the two have moved on to another topic. They discover they like the same shows, books, movies, music, etc., etc. and Chanyeol thinks it seems like Baekhyun and Noel are a date rather then him and Noel.

 

Cash broods internally for ten minutes before he realizes that he can’t be mad at either of them. They both look so cute getting all excited about the things they like, and he realizes suddenly that if Baekhyun likes the same things Noel likes, then by default he knows all about what Baekhyun likes. He pays attention to the conversation and mentally notes everything that Baekhyun says down, sorting them into categories of ‘Like’, ‘Don’t Like’, ‘Hates’, and ‘Really Really Loves’. Cash just hopes they run out of things to connect on before they leave Micky’s.

 

By the time the four finish eating, Baekhyun and Noel’s nonstop conversation dies down, although a transformation seems to have happened somewhere along the lines because now they’re acting as though they’ve known each other for years. Chanyeol can’t help but be sulky because he feels left out and he trails a bit behind them as they leave the burger joint.

 

“So, are we headed to the outlet mall now?” Noel asks turning around to face Chanyeol and Cash.

Chanyeol just shrugs and does a bad job pretending he isn’t sulking. Cash shrugs and nods, indifferent to where they go just as long as they can get to their respective dates soon. Baekhyun and Noel notice immediately and feel a bit bad because the boys did pay for a date with them. Baekhyun tries not to laugh at the giant sulking, but can’t stop himself from “nudging” Chanyeol with his whole body and saying, “Stop acting like a big baby and come on,” before walking back to his own date and slipping his arm through Cash’s.

 

Chanyeol just grunts but lightens up and offers an arm to Noel before walking behind Baekhyun kicking his to let him know he forgives him. Baekhyun gasps dramatically and starts to whine while Chanyeol pretends to not know what he’s talking about.

 

The walk to the outlet mall isn’t far and the couples separate within seeing distance of each other. Baekhyun’s relieved that there is none of that underlying tension between him and Cash, especially since he kind of ignored him back at Micky’s. Their conversation flows well and drifts through likes and dislikes calmly until they hit the topic of video games. This is one topic Baekhyun and Noel didn’t touch on, as she isn’t a gamer, but Cash is. Cash has been playing video games ever since he can remember and is considered somewhat of an expert in the field. For some reason, he’s always had a knack for them, able to pick up a controller to a game he’s never played before and just breeze through it. It’s one of his many odd, random talents. He can’t remember the last time he lost to someone playing a game.

 

Baekhyun has grown up with video games as well, courtesy of Chanyeol, and is pretty confident in his first-person shooter skills. Honestly, not even Chanyeol can beat him, so when he hears that Cash has never lost a game, including first person shooters; he can’t resist the temptation of a challenge. “I don’t know how much I trust your “winning streak”. You might just be playing against a bunch of people who ,” Baekhyun says.

Cash can’t help but to scoff, because really how adorable was that? So cute how Baekhyun questions his skills. “Look, I don’t usually boast,”

“Riiiiiiight,” Baekhyun interrupts.

“-but,” Cash continues, “I’ve frequented competitions and such at conventions and I won every time I’ve gone. It’s like some sort of weird talent I have. I’m just really good at video games.” He shrugs with a smile on his face as if to say ‘I don’t know why I’m awesome, I just am’.

 

Baekhyun just hums and purses his lips. “Well then, I guess we’ll just have to find out then.”

Cash looks amused. “Oh yeah? You’re going to be the first person to beat me in, what, ten years?” the last time he lost a game it was to his older brother when he was seven.

Baekhyun laughs. “Wow, you don’t boast huh?”

Cash just shrugs. “I’m just saying.”

“Well,” Baekhyun says, “I’ll have you know I’m pretty good at first-person shooters.”

“Is that a challenge?” Cash asks and he really does try to not sound cocky, but well he’s never lost before.

Baekhyun smiles, shaking his head at Cash’s smug-ish tone. “Do you accept the challenge?” he asks.

“Wouldn’t dream of denying it,” Cash says and he uses the moment the slip his arm around Baekhyun’s waist. He can’t be sure of the response, but the moment felt right and he mentally breathes out relief when Baekhyun doesn’t shake him off or appears uncomfortable.

 

They walk the rest of the way to the outlet mall like this going back and forth about video games until they realize Noel and Chanyeol have stopped in front of one of the stores.

“Baekhyun!” Noel calls out to him pointing at the store they stopped in front of. “Let’s go in here!”

Baekhyun and Cash walk up to them and stop, Cash the only one who notices how Chanyeol zeros in on his arm around Baekhyun’s waist. His stare becomes so intense that Cash drops his arm from Baekhyun, a little freaked out. Baekhyun doesn’t notice because he’s preparing himself to enter his home. His true home. He’s lying if he says he didn’t bring all of his saved up money on this date specifically because he knew they were going to the outlet mall. He walks forward and joins hands with Noel as they walk through the threshold of Sephora.

 

Chanyeol has never been inside a Sephora, although he’s seen them before. Cash has only ever been in one once when Noel and his younger sister dragged him inside one to buy his sister her first set of makeup. That night they used him as their personal doll and he’s never really gotten over it, so he’s a bit wary to enter the store. Together the two step in tentatively, cautious like deer stepping into a clearing. They wander, stuck together despite their differences, hesitantly and carefully touching the makeup and wondering at it. All is well until Chanyeol tries to force open a container of loose powder and effectively explodes it everywhere. He drops the container back in its place and the two dash off, scurrying like frightened animals, to the opposite corner of the store where they furiously brush off the powder from their clothes. They look up, eyes big and frightened until they make eye contact with each other. Cash and Chanyeol burst out in a hushed laughter, eyes turning into upward crescents as they wheeze and try to hush each other.

 

Chanyeol has no idea why it’s so funny, but it is. He feels like a little kid again messing around with stuff he knows nothing about and making a mess. He’s just glad he didn’t do it on his own. The unreasonable animosity he holds for Cash melts away for this moment, and he thinks that it’s too bad because Cash could be a pretty cool friend. The two decide to sit down for a minute right on the floor in the skin care section to recollect themselves and figure out the next plan of action.  This is how Baekhyun and Noel find them, covered in random patches of powder, still laughing, and resting on the floor. Baekhyun and Noel blanche at their state and try to get them to act like civil human beings, but they keep laughing while straining to recount their “funny” story.  After too loud laughter and a few “misplaced” skin care products from nearby shelves, a worker is asking them to leave the store in a hushed whisper.

 

Baekhyun and Noel can’t stay mad at the two, even though they don’t get to buy anything before they are forced to leave. But Baekhyun, in his passive aggressive way, rambles on and on about the “most perfect shade of green-grey eyeliner” that he hasn’t been able to find in any other store.

 

“It’s just that I’ve been searching forever because Sephora never has the color every time I go and when they do I don’t have the money to get it!” Baekhyun sighs thinking about his unfortunate life and hopes Chanyeol and Cash know how much he needed that eyeliner. “Why does the whole world hate me?” he asks no one in particular.

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. “The whole world doesn’t hate you, Baekhyun. Can’t you just buy it online?” he says as he leads the group to sportswear store. Chanyeol figures that right now is his only chance seeing that Baekhyun is expending all his energy with whining.

Baekhyun makes an indistinguishable noise. “No, Chanyeol. Haven’t you been listening? I absolutely cannot find it in any other store, so Sephora is the only place and they usually don’t have it in stock at all and when they do I’m broke!”

“So buy it online right now,” Chanyeol says. He holds open the door to the sportswear store as the three of them file in, Baekhyun none the wiser.

 

Baekhyun sighs like Chanyeol just said the stupidest thing. “Chanyeol, I can’t just buy eyeliner online. That’s way too small and only one thing to have to pay all those shipping fees. I would have to buy more than just that, and I don’t have the money for all that right now, okay?”

Chanyeol just hums as he inspects some shoes. He loves Baekhyun, really he does, but there is only so much required of a best friend.

“Wait…” Baekhyun finally starts to notice his surroundings and wrinkles his nose. “This is all guy sports stuff, Chanyeol. Why’d you bring us in here?”

Chanyeol just hums again, no longer paying attention to what Baekhyun is saying.

 

The look on Baekhyun’s face when he realizes he just got ignored has Cash swooping in for the save. Cue an arm artfully slung around Baekhyun’s waist and a screen shoved into his face.

“Hey, look they have that eyeliner available online,” Cash says, quickly distracting Baekhyun both by his phone screen and the close proximity of his body.

Baekhyun pouts. “Yeah, but like I said it’s not worth the shipping unless I buy more stuff and I can’t.”

“That’s okay, I’ll buy it for you,” Cash says and smiles like it should be obvious that he would buy it for him. “Pick out other stuff too, it would be a waste not to.”

 

Baekhyun just blinks and stares with his mouth open. He thinks he must not be very attractive right now, but he just can’t help it. “I, I really can’t make you do that!” he says with reluctance because he knows he shouldn’t, but damn he really wants to.

Cash smiles that ridiculously easy going smile that makes everything seem like its okay and not actually a big deal. “Come on, really its fine. I have the money to spare and no one to spend it on. You’ll be doing me a favor, really.” He tries to keep amusement off his face as he sees Baekhyun tipping towards the phone with obvious want in his eyes.

 

Baekhyun keeps his hands clutching his shirt so that they won’t shoot out and grab the phone to indulge in Cash’s offer. He shakes his head and says, “No, you don’t know how expensive just a few items can get…”

“Money isn’t a big issue with me. Trust me, I won’t miss it, and besides I feel bad because it’s my fault too that we got kicked out,” Cash says. He can see Baekhyun’s resolve crumbling.

“That is true…” Baekhyun pouts in thought. It is true that Cash is one of the reason’s they got kicked out, and it’s not like money is a big deal to him, and Baekhyun’s been good. He totally deserves a little pampering. Plus, he doesn’t want to insult his date by denying him any further. “I guess….if this is what you really, really want,” Baekhyun tries to seem humble and not smile as he peers up at Cash, but he can’t stop his excitement from showing as well as the momentary admiration.

“Its settled then,” Cash hands Baekhyun his phone with the Sephora website pulled up and says, “Shop to your heart’s content.”

This time Baekhyun allows his hands to accept the phone and he bounces in giddy excitement as he scrolls through the website.

 

Chanyeol frowns as something Noel says about the shoes they’re looking at passes straight through his ears. He wants to enjoy this time with Noel, but when he realizes that Baekhyun doesn’t gotten upset at him for ignoring him he becomes curious. Unfortunately this curiosity leads to him being distracted as he can’t help but notice how Cash seems to think talking requires physical contact. As if the more contact he has, the better the person can hear him, which is ridiculous in Chanyeol’s opinion.  

 

“Chanyeol?” Noel calls him for the fifth time, relieved when she finally gets a response.

“Yeah?” Chanyeol rubs the side of his head. There’s a sudden dull aching that seems to turn his mood sour. Weird.

Noel looks concerned for a moment, but the look passes without Chanyeol noticing. “Are you okay?” she asks.

Chanyeol nods. “Yeah, yeah I’m fine,” he takes a look around the store before walking back towards the entrance, “there’s nothing I want in here, and since I’m the only one looking we should just move on.”

Noel nods and follows, wondering about his sudden mood change.

 

“Come on, we’re leaving now,” Chanyeol says as he passes by Cash and Baekhyun and out the door.

Cash sends a questioning look to Noel, but she just shrugs. They hurry out the door, Baekhyun struggling to walk and shop at the same time.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun calls out, “Chanyeol, wait,” he looks up to see Chanyeol still a bit ahead of the group “Chanyeol!” he yells, finally getting Chanyeol to stop walking.

The three catch up to Chanyeol and his long legs, Baekhyun still struggling. When he reaches the rest, he shuffles over and clamps one hand on Chanyeol’s sleeve and holds Cash’s phone with the other, reading a description of a new supposed galaxy color eye shadow. “Chanyeol, you know I can’t walk and look at a phone at the same time.”

“Then put it away. What are you even doing?” Chanyeol says. He hates getting headaches.

 

Baekhyun’s face lights up and he bounces softy, tugging Chanyeol’s sleeve as he tells him about Cash’s gift. “He’s buying me stuff online because he feels bad that I didn’t get to buy anything at the store! And look, Chanyeol!” Baekhyun shoves the phone in Chanyeol’s face (having to stretch on his tiptoes just to do it). “Look, isn’t this pretty? And I get to have it!”

 

Noel’s mouth drops when she hears and she sends a betrayed you-never-buy-me-anything-online look at Cash who just shrugs. It’s not his fault he can’t resist a happy Baekhyun. Noel tearfully thinks about all the times she whined to Cash about not having enough money to buy the makeup she wanted. It’s always those closest to you that hurt you the most.

 

Chanyeol can’t help but to smile at how enthusiastic and happy Baekhyun is, but for some reason that unreasonable animosity he feels towards Cash has just been enflamed. It’s like Cash is trying to prove something by taking blame and then making up for it by not only buying Baekhyun the eyeliner he wants, but also buying anything else too? It’s like he’s trying to one up Chanyeol, or so Chanyeol thinks, and make him seem like a bad friend. Chanyeol doesn’t know why Cash wants to be like that when they’re supposed to be out enjoying their dates and not being rude. He guesses that Cash takes the rivalry seriously, even outside of school. 

 


 

well its up later than i planned, but i have a very good reason for that

that reason is that i started a job AND i started marathoning Orange Is The New Black

which is super great btw

anyways we're stepping into drama territory now!

i think the biggest problem i'm going to have is making cash like too likable and then, you know, ripping the poor boy's heart out. 

oh well that's love i guess 

i hope you've enjoyed this chapter!~

ps: cash is completely original and isnt subtly another member. i'll describe how he looks later on.