One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

My Best Friend's Hot

The last sounds of metal lockers echo down the hallway as the few remaining students leave the high school building. It’s going on 5:00 and Kyungsoo was supposed to be home hours ago, but yet he sits huddled outside the gym building, head resting on his knees. His phone has long since slipped from his fingers and lies on the ground beside him. He doesn’t bother checking it. All the students who stayed late for afterschool lessens are gone. All the students who stayed for athletic activities and clubs are gone. And now even the teachers and janitor have locked up and gone home for the day.

 

There’s this awful taste in Kyungsoo’s mouth and his throat feels like it’s burning. He just wants to talk. That’s all. The soccer team didn’t meet for practice today. Apparently it was cancelled last minute. Kyungsoo didn’t know. He just wants to talk.

 

Finally after some time, the cold begins to infiltrate his blazer. His skin gradually feels numbness until a prickly sensation causes him to decide to leave. He remembers his mother texting him to not forget a jacket since the evenings are turning colder, but he was too preoccupied and forgot. Kyungsoo stands stiffly, finally deciding that he has gathered himself enough to return home. Still, he can’t help but to check his messages again when he picks up his phone. His message had sent and been read at 2:48 pm. There is no reply.

 

Kyungsoo breathes in deep, the cold air aching in his lungs, holds his head up high, and let’s his apathetic face fall into place. It’s better this way, he reasons. No distractions from school, as his uncle always says. For as long as he’s living under his uncle’s roof, Kyungsoo needs to abide by his rules and do his best to prove that he made the right decision by moving in with him.

 

 

~*~

 

By the time that Chanyeol’s parents arrive back home and Chanyeol’s stuff is moved into to his own home, the awkward tension between the two childhood friends is gone. After their ice cream outing, both boys began to slip right back into the comfortable groove of friendship, although Baekhyun is still determined to change that. He decides though that true love takes time, and that he’s more than diligent when it comes to Chanyeol. Besides, Baekhyun really misses being friends with Chanyeol. When they’re together everything is fun and filled with jokes and laughter. He even manages to break into Chanyeol’s new friend group, surprising a lot of people with how different he is around the giant.

 

“Isn’t this great, Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun says excitedly from the desk in front of said boy.

Kyungsoo just hums in agreement, happy to indulge the boy as he goes on and on about how his advice really worked, and how he and Chanyeol are on such good terms now and “closer than ever before!”. There’s a small, barely there smile on Kyungsoo’s face and he is genuinely happy for Baekhyun, especially considering that a happy Baekhyun is ten times better than a moping Baekhyun.

“Seriously, you should join us for lunch, Soo! I know you aren’t really close with those people, but they aren’t that bad and you have me so there isn’t really any reason to worry.” Baekhyun looks at Kyungsoo, pretty eyes full of hope and sincerity.

 

Kyungsoo has never really thought too much on it before, but he realizes that despite everything, Baekhyun might just be his only real friend. And that Baekhyun considers Kyungsoo as his friend, even if he treats him coldly. He hates that this affects him. He hates that, as much as he wants to say ‘no’, he can’t. Not when Baekhyun is asking him so happily.

Slowly, Kyungsoo nods his head. “Sure, I guess…why not.” He says it hesitantly, but Baekhyun doesn’t seem to notice or care.

A look of genuine disbelief crosses Baekhyun’s face. “Wait, seriously?!” he laughs. “Wow, what happened? Finally get laid? Won a million bucks? Finally able to get that stick out your ?”

Kyungsoo glares. Maybe he regrets everything he just thought. “If you’re going to be like that then...”

Baekhyun just laughs again. “Nope, no backing out. I have your word, your promise! And you aren’t allowed to back out.”

“Hey! When did I promise? I never promised.” The class president stubbornly argues even though he knows he won’t back out.

Still with a smile Baekhyun hops out of his seat as the warning bell sounds. “Gotta get to class, Soo! See you at lunch!”

 

 

~*~

 

 

Just because Baekhyun is okay with taking it slow, doesn’t mean he’s going relax in the looks department. He wants Chanyeol to want him. Honestly, it’ll take a whole workload off Baekhyun’s back if Chanyeol makes the first move. He wants to be so hot that Chanyeol jumps him in the middle of an “innocent” sleepover when they stay up too late and his parents aren’t home. The problem with that scenario is that, while simple in theory, it is actually extremely hard in real life. First of all, both of their parents never spend the weekend away, which makes certain parts of the plan…difficult. Second of all, Chanyeol’s always busy now because of these disgusting things he calls “friends”.

 

As much as Baekhyun hates to think about it, he realizes that Chanyeol has never offered to invite him along to these weekend activities with his so-called “friends”. There are probably several plausible reasons that aren’t damaging to his self-esteem as to why. For instance, Chanyeol is probably just protecting him. Baekhyun hasn’t figured out what Chanyeol would be protecting him from, but the lovelorn boy finds the idea rather pleasing. Unfortunately, the creepy smile that graces his face gives away that he has not been paying attention to the lesson, and earns him a scolding from the displeased teacher. Several snickers are heard throughout the classroom as the teacher makes the poor boy stand at the back of the classroom while taking notes for the rest of the period.

 

Baekhyun’s arms ache and he is near tears when the bell rings and signals his escape. He rushes to his bag, shoving in his supplies, and is almost to the door when he hears the teacher call his name. Internally he groans and rolls his eyes as he spins around with a fake smile plastered across his face.

“Yes?” He says, not bothering with her name because he never actually learned it. Baekhyun figured it isn’t worth it considering she’s about 90 years old and looks like she’s going to keel over any minute.

The ever-present frown cracked over her face, deepens. “Byun…Baekhyun…you...seem…rather…distracted lately.” Her gravely voice comes out slowly and painfully. Honestly, it drives Baekhyun mad and is the reason he never really paid attention in her class to begin with. It takes everything he has to keep quiet and let her lecture him. “I…don’t…want…to…see you…slipping…up…in…my…class. If there…is…any…problem…I suggest…you…fix…it.”

Baekhyun just politely nods. “Of course, I’m really sorry about today. It won’t happen again.”

The teacher even nods slowly. “It…had…better…not…, Byun.”

 

He waits until she turns back to her desk to sprint out of the classroom as though it is going to explode any second. On his mad dash, Baekhyun nearly runs over Kyungsoo.

“Whoa, hey. I was just looking for you.” Kyungsoo says.

Baekhyun wheezes from his short sprint. He really needs to exercise more. “Uh, yeah.” He points in the direction of the cafeteria. “Let’s go eat. I got held up by the teacher.”

Kyungsoo smirks. “Get in trouble again?”

Baekhyun scoffs haughtily. “Please, Kyungsoo. Me? In trouble? Ha! The thought is laughable and—”

“Completely spot on.” Kyungsoo finishes his sentence.

Baekhyun slumps his shoulders. “She’s just too sensitive about “paying attention in class” or whatever. I’m smart enough not to so it’s not like it matters, and yet she still punishes me. That’s so embarrassing and I think even one of Chanyeol’s new colleagues is in that class.”

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. “Colleagues? Don’t you mean fr—”

A flying hand smacks itself over Kyungsoo’s mouth before that word can be said. “I know what I said.” Baekhyun says sadly. He shakes his head slowly. He just can’t cope with that thought right now. He needs time.

 

Kyungsoo smacks him upside the back of his head, causing Baekhyun to lurch forward and choke dramatically. He turns, cradling his head and looking at Kyungsoo wildly. “Wha! What was that for!?”

Kyungsoo doesn’t even spare him a glance as he says, “Get a hold of yourself, son.”

Baekhyun goes to speak again, but is, again, met too familiarly with the palm of Kyungsoo’s hand. “Shh,” the class president put a finger to his lips. “we’re about to enter the cafeteria. Get yourself together. I’m counting on you to help me through this, Baekhyun.”

A look of grave seriousness crosses the two boys’ faces. Baekhyun clamps a hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “I understand.” They both nod at each other before taking a deep breath and pushing open both cafeteria doors.

“Ow! Hey watch it!” a girl curses at them as they fling open the doors and hit her in the face. But the two boys don’t have no time for little girls. They are on a mission, so they ignore her and stroll in.

 

Kyungsoo’s senses are on high alert. It has been a very long time since he ate in the cafeteria. The noise makes his head fuzzy and his mouth dry, but he doesn’t have time to dwell on these things when he’s being pulled to get in line. Baekhyun’s voice fills up his head as the boy babbles on and on about Chanyeol and what he knows about Chanyeol’s “colleagues”. Kyungsoo soaks up the information, even if his expression never changes.

 

The group is composed of many underclassmen, but include some upperclassmen as well. They sit at a large table made up of smaller tables pushed together, most of the seats already filled with loud voices. Kyungsoo stands frozen next to Baekhyun at the end of the cafeteria line. He notices Baekhyun’s grip on his tray all tense and stiff, and for all he’s said it’s obvious Baekhyun’s still not used to it. The introverted part of himself comes to surface with so many people and so much noise. Kyungsoo thinks that Baekhyun must really like Chanyeol as he manually relaxes his body and pushes forward to the group.

 

There is no obvious sense of discomfort from Baekhyun as he smiles and waves to get Chanyeol’s attention. The moment the two arrives at the table, Chanyeol is engage in a riveting discussion with his classmate on whether or not peeing while sitting is appropriate.

“You see, I think it really depends on the situation” the classmate, Kai, says. “Like, if you’re really tired, or you’ve hurt your leg, or certain insistences cause you to not be confident in your aim.”

Chanyeol nods his head thoughtfully and his chin with his thumb and forefinger. “I do see your point, but in my case sitting down is a hassle because of my height. My legs are simply too long to sit down comfortably, not to mention the extra time and effort extorted to pull down my pants and underwear.”

Kai nods thoughtfully as well. “I see, so it really is all very situational.”

 

Baekhyun clears his throat, trying his best to not get involved in whatever topic the two classmates were discussing. Chanyeol lights up when he turns around to see the smaller boy standing there.

“Hey! I thought you weren’t coming!” he says scooting his chair over to allow more room for the both of them.

“Sorry, I got held back by the teacher.” Baekhyun pulls up an extra chair for Kyungsoo before he sits down next to Chanyeol. “Oh, and this is my friend Kyungsoo. I finally convinced him to eat lunch with other people today.”

 

Kyungsoo gives Chanyeol a small smile and wave before taking a seat next to Baekhyun. All the sounds of the cafeteria fall into white noise as he looks down to his plate and begins to eat. Some of the others at the table have stopped their conversations in curiosity at the newcomer, but soon go back after hearing his name. Kyungsoo is quiet and generally known throughout the school as class president, nothing of real interest. People are respectful, but never bother to get pass being acquaintances.

 

Baekhyun sighs internally. Kyungsoo had seemed so up for it just a little while ago, but now he’s built up an invisible wall around himself, hardly ever glancing up much less contributing to the conversations. He notices that Kai, a close friend of Chanyeol’s now, has also gone quiet. An almost awkward vibe surrounds him and he would occasionally flick his eyes over to the president’s bowed head. Confusion enters Baekhyun’s mind as he observes the strange, awkward behavior. Even though Kyungsoo is a quiet person, he never really shows shyness, not like now and especially never in front of other students.

 

Baekhyun mentally stores away the thought to ask Kyungsoo about it later, and tries his best to involve the both of them in the lunchtime discussions. The perfect opportunity presents itself when one of the underclassmen suggests the school do a dating auction as a fundraiser for prom. This definitely piques Kyungsoo’s interest.

“A date auction?” Kyungsoo questions.

The underclassman nods her head excitedly. “Yeah, my friends and I heard that student government was looking for ways to raise money for prom, so we came up with this idea! We could have a date auction where the underclassmen bid on the seniors for dates. Whoever has the highest bid gets taken on a date with them for a whole day!”

The class president’s eyebrows furrow in thought. “Hmm, it would have to pass through administration and I’d have to know that a large number of people would participate…”

Several underclassmen speak up at once, interrupting Kyungsoo and saying, “There definitely would be!” and “I’ll spread the word and get everyone to participate!”

Kyungsoo nods. “I can see how many seniors are willing to be auctioned off, but if there is enough and administration approves…then I think it could work.”

 

The kids let out a whoop of victory and exclaim that they will make this work and that he’s the best class president ever.

“So, president, you’re going to be auctioned off too, right?” the same girl who brought up the idea asks.

Kyungsoo’s mouth drops open and he begins to refuse, but before he could every senior at the table interrupts him saying that since he approved it, he has to be in it too.

“This isn’t a monarchy, president. You can’t agree to auction us off, while you sit back and watch!” one senior says and the rest nod in agreement.

 

Baekhyun bursts out laughing at the expression of shock and defeat. “You too.” Kyungsoo snaps and the boy immediately shuts up.

“Me too? Why me? What if I don’t want to?” Baekhyun whines, pouting at Kyungsoo. How is he supposed to go on a date with another person? That would be cheating.

“If I have to, you have to.” Kyungsoo says bluntly. “Besides we don’t even know if this will be approved.”

Baekhyun sighs and mutters an “okay”. He sneaks a glance at Chanyeol whose eyebrows have become furrowed as though deep in thought. The giant almost looks worried, but that could just be Baekhyun’s imagination. 

 


 

 

I'm back

back again

after so long

school is crazy yo, but I've had this 2/3 finished for a while, I thought I minds well push myself into motivation

and by that I mean I'm doing this instead of writing my term paper O.O

someone help me