Chapter 2- Water

Before the Cause (Haitus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The snow had stopped." A female voice whispered happily as she peeped outside the window.

"Everything seems to be frozen solid." A male voice whispered back as he too was looking outside the window. It was covered with morning frost and they could barely see even if they wiped the condensation. 

"Noona..does this mean we can-"

"Shhh Joon-ah."

"Kids ! What are you doing whispering by the window ?" Their mother called from inside the living room. The two teens looked at each other laughing before they scrambled away from the window.

"We were just seeing if Appa was home yet." The older of the two answered smoothly.

"You know your father won't be home for a few hours or so. I know you're planning something." Their mother said narrowing her eyes.

"Umma we have no clue what you're talking about." The younger of the two said. 

"Exactly. We're just going to go up and study. See you." Before the younger could even say anything the older pulled him up stairs towards the bedrooms.

"That was close."

"I know. She has ears of a fox."

"Noona do you think today...we could..?"

"Joonmyeon-ah no need to be shy. Of course we can. I'll grab the stuff. You keep Umma occupied."

Joonmyeon nodded at his older sister before she disappeared into her bedroom. Joonmyeon took a deep breath before he grabbed a book off his shelf and ran down stairs.

"Ahem. Umma." He cleared his throat gaining the woman's attention from the television.

"Yes ?"

"Could you help me with a problem. I don't really understand how to do it." Joonmyeon said flipping to a random page and pointing to a problem.

"Aish Joonmyeon-ah. I thought we been over this. It's simple. You divide the x by the square root of..." Joonmyeon nodded as his mother began explaining a problem. He watched his sister slip out the door with a silent snicker and he knew he had to wrap this up.

"Ah I see. Thank you umma. You're so smart."

"You should have asked your father when he got home. You know he's better at math then I am. I'm just an English teacher." His mother said giving him a smile.

"But you're smart in everything umma. I'll be in my room." 

"Fine. Dinner is at 6." She said simply and Joonmyeon nodded. He slowly walked towards the stair case before hiding his book behind the umbrella rack and quietly slipping his coat of the hang before following his sisters footsteps.

"Noona ! No-" a hand covered his mouth with a quick shush.

"Geez not so loud. We only got about two hours before she decides to check on us. Let's make this last." She said holding up a pair of ice skates.

"Ne." Joonmyeon said taking his ice skates and following his sister through the thin snow. It was a bit steep but they made it towards their destination. The lake that settled near their house was beautiful. It was surrounded by trees that hung tall and white. It was quiet peaceful and the winter animals strayed from it when it froze over.

"Quickly." Joonmyeon's noona said as she brushed the bench off with her glove covered hand and sat down. They began switching their snow boots for their ice skates and giggled at the small breeze that tickled their noses.

Joonmyeon stepped on the ice first. His pure ivory skates shone bright in the Winter's sun. They weren't perfect though. Scratched from use over and over again and were the right amount of worn out.

"It seems solid enough." His noona said and Joonmyeon nodded. He easily glided on the ice and watched as his skates cut the top layer thinly. 

"You're right. It seems to be a couple of feet frozen solid." Joonmyeon said. His sister nodded as she picked up speed and twirled around. Her deep red jacket and dark pants were a deep contrast to the white land that they were in. Even her black skates stood out. Unlike her, Joonmyeon was wearing his baby blue coat and his pants were a pale beige color.

"Going to try to do the triple-"

"Yah ! Don't say it ! You'll jinx it !" Joonmyeon said cutting her off.

"Fine. But are you going to try it ?" She asked again cocking her head.

"I might. If I feel confident." Joonmyeon said quietly.

"Confident ? Joon-ah you are the best skater in all of Korea and you know it. Why do you lack confidence ? Did someone bring you down ? Was it Donghae ? Because if it was I'll surely-"

"Noona ! Calm down it's alright. It's not Donghae-ssi. No need to go and commit murder so early in life." Joonmyeon said.

"You're right. I should save that for someone better." His noona said grinning.

"I'll visit you in prison." Joonmyeon said shaking his head before picking up speed and doing a simple jump in the air before landing swiftly on one leg, the other in the air.

"Wow.  That was good but your landing was a little shaky. Next time straighten out like this." His noona did the same trick but he could tell she landed much more gracefully than he had.

"You're so much better than me noona. Why do you give me so much praise ?" Joonmyeon whined and the girl skated over to punch him upside the head.

"Don't say such embarrassing things like that. Beside you know my passion isn't on the ice but in the sky."

"You're going to be the best pilot ever noona. I can't wait until you take the entrance exams." Joonmyeon said rubbing the spot she hit him at.

"Yeah only two more weeks now. And then you'll catch me in the sky." The older said proudly. Hands on her hips as she skated circles around Joonmyeon. The younger laughed and pulled his hat back over his ears. Though he loved living in a eternal winter lands such as this, the cold when it really hit you.

"Enough about you though. Let's prepare your best stunt yet. The triple-"

"Noona !"

"Fine fine. I won't say it. Let's just do it." 

Joonmyeon mocked glared at her before nodding. He took a steady pace on the ice and began humming to himself.

"Wae geuraesseo wae nahante na eobsin jukgo mot sandadeon nega
choesohan dallaeneun cheok mwo geureon geot jom hago gayaji." Joonmyeon sang to himself as went over his routine. The dance coming out naturally and he swirled around to the best in his head. When the beat began to pick up he speed his turns up in his lutz. He landed on one foot before preparing to jump off into his triple axel.

"Yeogiga apa." And Joonmyeon was in the air."uri kkeutnabeorin sarang sarang." He landed the axel for the first time perfectly and he looked at his older sister with a smile on his face.

"Noona ! Noona did you see-"

Joonmyeon's voice broke at the sound of a crack being heard.

"That."

"Joonmyeon." His sister said slowly. She had gotten off the ice to give her younger brother all the room he needed to do his routine for but she quickly realized what was happening.

"Don't panic okay ?" She said. "Just come off slowly." 

Joonmyeon looked at her for a moment before looking down. The crack didn't seem that bad though he shouldn't underestimate it.

"N-noona I don't think-"

"Shh Joon-ah. Don't think t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter