Chapter 16- The Light

Before the Cause (Haitus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Baekhyun felt odd traveling with a bunch of guys he just met. He never had friends and he didn't really know how to talk to them. Mainly because half of them didn't speak Korean and because they all were like some mutated zombies. Oddly enough though, he trusted them. He trusted Luhan for his words held truth. He trusted Yixing for his hands were gentle and his smile kind. He trusted Kris because he practically spoke authority, even if he didn't say much and he trusted Chanyeol. Something drew his interest from the tall boy. Who he didn't trust was Zitao. Why did he feel like he wasn't getting the full story from the other ?   On their first day of traveling together, they had took a taxi to go out and buy winter clothes for Kris and Chanyeol. The two hadn't had much items on them but Kris was rich and it was a good thing he was because Baekhyun wasn't and he didn't bring much money.  They took a bus that will take about four hours to get to the mountains. They all sat in the back, thankful the bus was empty at such a hour.   Baekhyun sat in the space between Luhan and Chanyeol. Luhan was silent as usual as Yixing and Kris were speaking lowly in mandarin. Sighing, Baekhyun began playing with his fingers. He does this a lot lately. It seemed to relax his mind and  made his power tingle with ease. The light inside of him seemed steady and strong and he wondered if on this journey, would he find how to do make use of it.   "What are you doing?" The deep voice of Chanyeol startled Baekhyun. Said boy looked up at the taller.   "N-nothing." Baekhyun said. "Just easing some tension out of my hands."    "Let me see." Chanyeol held out his hand. Baekhyun gave him his a little reluctantly. He gasped as Chanyeol began massing his hand. His fingers working carefully into Baekhyun's palm and eased the tension out of it.   "Wow. My hand feels so relaxed." Baekhyun said. "Here, do the other."   Chanyeol laughed at that and did he other. When he was done Baekhyun felt light pour easily from him fingers. He had never been able to do that so swiftly. It didn't even tingle from heat. He put it out quickly though so no one could see and smiled at Chanyeol. "Thank you."   Chanyeol smiled back before looking out the window. Baekhyun yawned and settled in the seat.   "Sleep. We might need the energy." Luhan said and Baekhyun nodded, his eyes slowly closing before he drifted to sleep.   When he woke up, there was something warm against his cheek. He opened his eyes slowly to see black. Blinking some, Baekhyun yawned before moving closer to the warmth. It was getting cold and he knew they must be closer to the mountains.   "Are you cold ?" Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun blinked again as he felt the words rumbled into his ear. He only noticed then that he was leaning on Chanyeol's arm. Baekhyun stat up quickly, looking at him.   "Huh ?" Baekhyun asked confused.   "Luhan-ssi said the temperature will drop drastically the higher we go. There's traffic so we might be a hour late. You were shivering in your sleep." Chanyeol explained.   "Oh. Sorry." Baekhyun said, face a little flushed. "I guess I'm kinda cold. Are you ?" Baekhyun asked.   "No." Chanyeol said grabbing a coat from one of the bags and putting it around Baekhyun. "The fire inside of me makes it hard to get cold."   "Oh." Baekhyun said again. "Thanks."   "No problem. Sleep though. I'll wake you when we get there." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun nodded. Chanyeol was a odd one, but they all were a little odd. Drifting back off to sleep, he didn't notice his head fall back to Chanyeol's shoulder.   .   The screeching sound of the bus woke Baekhyun up again. He felt Chanyeol shake his shoulder to wake him up some more until he finally sat up. Luhan was already up and Baekhyun only notice this from the way he shook his leg.    "Are we there ?" Baekhyun asked Luhan who nodded.    "Couple minutes up the road and then we shall get off. Help me wake them to dress." Luhan said and the two Korean males nodded. Chanyeol woke up Kris while Luhan woke up Zitao. Baekhyun shook Yixing and the Chinese male awakened with sleepy puppy eyes.   "Wake up Yixing-ssi. Dress please." Baekhyun said in terrible English and pointed to Yixing's jacket. The other seemed to get the hint and soon they were all dressed with winter attire. They all thanked the bus driver who nodded before driving away.   The cold air soon hit Baekhyun. He sighed and was thankful to Yixing who had stuffed heat packets into everyone's gloves and boots. Ironically they all followed Luhan. The boy was their human compass and he could detect the others presence. They walked for a moment, entering a small town. Most people seemed to be either doing some labour work or inside shops doing the same. They all agreed to get something to eat and walked into a small cafe.   "Good afternoon everyone. You boys staying here for vacation ?" The waitress asked as she set down the menus.   "Yes." Chanyeol answered with a smile. "Sorry our friends over there over there do not speak Korean." Chanyeol explained and the lady nodded.   "If they need any help I do have a Chinese worker in the back. But for now let's start off with drinks." The waitress said.   "Hmm." Baekhyun lifted the large menu. He scanned over the items and settled for a hot chocolate and soup. Luhan helped the others pick and the Chinese worker came out to take their orders.   "Do you feel anything ?" Chanyeol asked Luhan after a while.   "Yes." Luhan said.   "Where ?" Baekhyun asked, also curious.   "Up." Was all Luhan said.   Baekhyun's nose twitched at the discreet answer. He get it that Luhan doesn't talk much but sometimes words were needed. He settled his attention back to Chanyeol. Said boy was playing with his tea. He tapped the sides and Baekhyun could tell he was messing with the temperature from the way the tea seemed to heat up, practically boil, then go back to normal.   "My mother used to own a cafe." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun blinked.   "Really ?" Baekhyun asked.   "Yup. Right in Seoul where most people reside. I, for most days, was the only one working with her. My noona was busy with other things and my father with his job. It was fun though. I'd get to talk to people, bake beautiful and delicious food and just put smiles on people's faces."   "You said was. Why aren't you doing it now ?" Baekhyun asked.   "We were robbed. In broad daylight some guys in masks came and attacked us. They caught my mother first. And held me down next. They poured gasoline all over her before setting her on fire. I couldn't even help as they shot me in the head moments after. But in those moments I could hear my mother's screams. I could see her skin pull back from the flames and I could see her burn."   Baekhyun's hands grabbed Chanyeol's much bigger one, pulling the taller out of his thoughts. He noticed his whole cup of tea seemed to have evaporated. His hand felt hot and the cold from Baekhyun's hand was distracting.    "I'm sorry I asked." Baekhyun said. "But don't blame yourself. They held you down. There wasn't much you could do."    "But I could have done something." Chanyeol whispered and Baekhyun tightened his hold on Chanyeol's hand.   "Maybe if we controlled time, we could all go back and try to do something."    Chanyeol didn't say anything as the waitress came out with their food and they all stuffed their faces. Baekhyun finished his soup and rice along with Yixing last. They paid for their meals and thanked the waitress and waiter for their help. Walking back into the cold, Baekhyun tied his scarf around his face to cover his nose.   "So how are we going up ?" Baekhyun asked Luhan as he walked with Yixing. The smaller male was letting Luhan hold his arm as they walked.    "We need a car. It's too dangerous to go up there without one." Luhan said.   "We could freeze ?" Chanyeol asked.   "Maybe not you. But yes." Luhan said.   They hitched another taxi and Luhan asked him to drive up the mountain. Luhan couldn't exactly pinpoint where the others were but the closer they were, the easier it was to try. They were squished in the van like taxi bus. There were only four seats so Baekhyun was forced into Chanyeol's lap and Yixing on Kris's because Zitao was too tall to sit on anyone's lap.   Baekhyun blushed as he sat on Chanyeol. The taller's hands grabbed Baekhyun's waist when they drove over a large bump almost knocking him out of the car.    "Sorry." Baekhyun said and Chanyeol shook his head.   "It's fine."    Baekhyun turned to look around the car. Luhan was sitting in the front with  Zitao. They were talking or well Zitao was and Luhan seemed to reply here and there. Yixing and Kris were talking too. They seemed to be getting close seeing as how Yixing was writing something in mandarin on the foggy window and Kris grabbed his hand to write something else with it. It was cute actually and Baekhyun looked away. Chanyeol was looking out the window. The white wonder land seemed endless as they drove and Baekhyun felt cold just by looking at it. They soon came to a stop and Luhan got out. They follows his suit and paid the driver.   Baekhyun took his bag from Yixing with a thanks and began treading through the snow. The snow was thick and deep and it was hard to walk through it without stumbling. Baekhyun fell for the third time and groaned. Oh how he disliked the snow. He was soon being helped up and thanked the person.    "Just follow my footsteps." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun noticed that his foot steps seemed to melt the snow. It must be nice to have fire as a power. Light was cool but what good was it in the day time ?   They soon spotted a house in the distance and Luhan stopped.   "Is this the place ?" Baekhyun asked and Luhan noticed.   "I can feel them. They seem so strong here." Luhan said.   "Well shall we greet our new bothers ?" Baekhyun asked and Luhan nodded.   The house was practically a mansion in the middle of the mountain. Luhan knocked on the door and they waited a bit. Baekhyun could hear footsteps before the door opened. A girl opened the door with wide eyes.   "Hello ?" She said a bit confused.   "Hi. My name is Luhan and these are my friends. We are here to speak to your brother." Luhan said.   The girls eyes glared a bit. "What do you want with my brother ?" She asked.   "I think it would be best if we show him ourselves." Luhan said and the girl looked at them skeptical before nodding.   "Joonmyeon !" She yelled as they made their way into the living room. "There are some people asking for you."   Yixing said something and Luhan nodded. Zitao looked anxious as they heard pattered footsteps before a small male walked into the living room. He had blonde hair and was around the same height as Baekhyun.  There other males followed him and soon the room was filled with boys.   "I'll get our guest some drinks." The girl said and they nodded.   The boy, Joonmyeon sat down a bit nervous. His fingers switched in his lap and a brunette male patted his hair comfortably before sitting down next to him. The other two males stood behind them. One almost as tall as Zitao and the other around Baekhyun's height.   "So. Who are you guys and what do you want ?" The brunette asked getting straight to the point making Baekhyun shift uncomfortably.   "We are here for you." Luhan said.   "What do you mean ?" The brunette asked.   "We are just like you four." Luhan said.   "Y-you have magic ?" Joonmyeon asked curious. "Like this ?"   And suddenly the water from the glass that was sitting on the table floated up into the air. Baekhyun watched as he shifted it into a circle.    "Joonmyeon. You can't just show anyone your powers." The brunette said and the water fell back into the glass.   "Sorry Minseok hyung." Joonmyeon said pouting.   "No it's okay." Baekhyun spoke up. "Our powers are all different." Baekhyun opened his palm and light flowed out of it. The four boys looked out of it in awe and Baekhyun let the light dance around them in a tingly warm before he put it away.   "If you're like us then..." Minseok trailed off.   "She has told me to find you all. That we all need to be together because something is coming." Luhan said.   "What is ?" Joonmyeon asked.   "And how do you know that ? How did you find us ?" Minseok asked.   "I don't know. But all of us aren't here. I feel...incomplete." Luhan said. "Too answer your question," Luhan took off his glasses to show his full gaze. "I'm telepathic and telekinetic."   "Wow." The tall boy behind Luhan said.   "What's tele..tele." Joonmyeon stumbled over the words.   "Telekinesis? It means I can move things with my mind." Luhan explained.    "Prove it." The boy behind Joonmyeon and and Luhan turned his way. He was suddenly floating in the air. He dropped the blanket he was wearing and Luhan moved it out of his reach.   "Okay okay I get it." The kid said and Luhan put him back down.   "Wow !" Joonmyeon said clapping is hands. "What else can you do ?"   "I can wield fire." Chanyeol said. "It's a bit dangerous though to do it indoors."   "Do it. I'm water. I can put out." Joonmyeon said and Chanyeol looked a bit skeptical before letting a ball of flames come from his hands. Joonmyeon clapped and Chanyeol put it out. He turned to the other three males.   "You too please."   "Sorry they don't speak Korean. They're all Chinese." Baekhyun explained and the four boys blinked surprised.   Luhan translated what Joonmyeon wanted to do and Kris flew. His presence strong and silent as ever. Yixing healed one of the dead plants near the window and Zitao again couldn't really show them how he was immortal without attempting to kill himself. Joonmyeon didn't mind though as he thought all of their magic was cool.   "What about you three ?" Baekhyun asked.   "I control ice." Minseok said and Joonmyeon brought the water orb towards him and Minseok touched it and it froze solid. It dropped into his lap and he played with it a bit. Turning it into different shapes before turning it back to a circle.   "Jongdae here is mute but he controls lightening. Or well electricity." Minseok said and the smaller make whole body when through multiple shocks of electricity. Baekhyun thought that was pretty cool and almost as dangerous as Chanyeol's power.   "I control the wind." The boy, Sehun said after his introduction. He made little tornados and let them fly around the room. They died out once they reached him and Joonmyeon clapped.   "We all have magic !" He said and Minseok nodded.   "But I don't know if that's a good thing or not Myeonie." Minseok said. "Do you guys mind me asking what she took from you in exchange ?"    Luhan translated this to the Chinese males and they nodded. Yixing spoke first, saying they took his mother. Zitao his mortality. Kris didn't really know what they took but he felt much more passive about a lot of things. Chanyeol said his mother and Luhan obviously sight. Baekhyun didn't know what they took either. He felt perfectly fine.   "I think they messed up my senses." Minseok said. "My touch is all weird. Sometimes I can feel things and others I can't. I can't feel the cold but maybe that has to do with the ice inside of me."   "I lost my knowledge." Joonmyeon said a bit sadly.   "But Joonie is very bright so it won't take long to get it back." Minseok said patting his head again.  
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter