Chapter 17- Obsidian

Before the Cause (Haitus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Kyungsoo wouldn't admit it but, he was terrified. He had pulled himself out of a grave yard and ended up walking straight into a forest. He didn't know where he was but everything was silent. The trees made no sound as the wind blew through the leaves, he couldn't hear the crunching of sticks and plants under his feet with each step and he definitely couldn't hear his haggard breathing, as he tried to find a way back home.   No, Kyungsoo heard nothing. But he felt everything. He could feel with each step what was surrounding him. Thousand of trees, small animals, plants, even the ants that crawled on the forest floor. He felt it all and it scared him. What had happened to his hearing ? And that jerk Hakyeon ! He had really buried him alive ! What type of inconsiderate bastard. Just thinking of it made Kyungsoo angry. If he ever got out this damned forest he was going to kill the other. Kill him how he did Kyungsoo. Ruthless.   Panic set in Kyungsoo after that thought. He had really died. He felt himself take on last breath before slipping into a lifeless sleep. And no one came to save him. Not s, not his father. Did they just let him die ?   Kyungsoo held his heart at that. It thumped through his chest. Tears pooled down Kyungsoo's cheeks and he didn't care to stop them this time. He never felt so lost. He wanted to just go home and sleep. Lay next to his older brother and feel the warmth from the older. It was cold and silent in this forest. Lonely. The ground vibrated under his feet at the thought.   Kyungsoo jumped when he felt footsteps walked near him. He looked up to see a tall boy. He waved at Kyungsoo and he opened his mouth to say something but Kyungsoo understood nothing. Kyungsoo panicked and scrambled away from the taller. What if he was one of Hakyeon's lackeys? Kyungsoo closed his eyes and he felt the ground moved before the tall boy landed a few feet back.  Kyungsoo opened his eyes to see the taller on fire. Eyes widen as the male didn't look like he was hurt. He dusted his pants and fire shot out his palms. Kyungsoo didn't know what he was seeing but he was sure the tall boy wasn't safe to be around. When the boy raised his hands in a innocent gesture, fire shot out and Kyungsoo flinched back, his hand going up to protect himself. He felt the earth move to protect him and he opened his eyes to see rocks floating to his defense. Kyungsoo gulped as he moved his hand and the rocks followed.   "I can't hear a word you just said." Kyungsoo said, stepping away from the fire boy. He needed to go. This guy was confusing him. He didn't feel right when the other stepped closer. As he did so, Kyungsoo closed his eyes and was into the ground.   He gasped and panic. On no he couldn't breathe under here. No no no he had to get out, he had to- Kyungsoo froze. He was breathing perfectly fine. The forest floor curved along his body and molded to his touch.   What was going on ?   Kyungsoo calmed himself down once again before he had an idea. He lifted his foot and tried taking a step. When it worked he took another and another until he was running. Running underground and far away from the confusing male.   He felt the forest above his still and decided to keep running. Maybe if he got past it, he could find a city and hopefully, a way home. A sense of relief exploded into him and maybe excitement out of his hands because the earth seemed to move away from him. Soon he wasn't running, he was wielding the earth to move him. It took him a while to master it, his hands not knowing what controlled what and how exactly he was doing this all but, he was doing it.    When Kyungsoo no longer felt the forest floor above him, he opened the ground to look up. He peaked at his surroundings, his wide eyes taking in the flat country land and a road a few meters away. Kyungsoo popped out of the ground and looked at the sky. The sun was setting and he had no shelter. But, there was a road and roads always lead to somewhere. So Kyungsoo followed this road, his mind going deep into his thoughts as he tried to think of a reasonable answer to what was happening.   The dark eyed woman. She said she would give him life, was that a dream ? Did she really ? If so then...then his hearing ! She took that. And in exchange were these magical powers ? Kyungsoo was confused. How was that equal exchange? He was deaf ! Not a sound reached his ears. He would never be able to hear another's words. That...that ! For all that she could have kept Kyungsoo dead. But Kyungsoo didn't want to be dead. He needed to survive. His life was worth more then in the hands of Cha Hakyeon.   Kyungsoo's brain hurt. The only thoughts running through it were about death, these powers and Hakyeon. He would surly get his revenge. But first, he needed to go home.   Kyungsoo ended up at a small town. Barely any stores were open and thankfully he still had his wallet. He didn't even think about hunger until he saw a small diner still open. His stomach growled and he sighed as he walked in.   A girl walked up to Kyungsoo and he had almost forgotten he couldn't hear until she starred at him impatiently.   "Oh sorry. I'm deaf." Kyungsoo said making the sign for deaf. He knew a few things from his cousin who was deaf too. The girl blinked and apologized. She wrote something down on her note pad before handing it to Kyungsoo.   -I'm sorry. Welcome to Dani's Dinner. There's a special after 8 o'clock. May I take your order ?-   It read and Kyungsoo nodded. He wasn't feeling for much of anything and just ordered some kimbap and water. The waitress nodded with a smile before turning away. Kyungsoo sighed. Yes being deaf was going to be something to get used to.   Soon his food was done and he ate it slowly, looking out the window to see the slightly empty streets. Kyungsoo counted a good four people who walked by before something slammed down in front of him. He jumped as the table jiggled and he felt the vibrations tingle under his feet.   Two guys moved to sit at his table. One had brown hair and the other blue. The brown haired male said something with a sickeningly cocky smirk and the other nodded smugly. Kyungsoo stared at them. Who the were these guys ? Taking another bite, he looked at the two as they said something else. Kyungsoo made sure he took his time chewing before he swallowed.   "I'm deaf." Kyungsoo said simply doing the sign.    Both boys eyes widened slightly before they looked at each other. They said something and the blue haired male nodded.   "I said, you look a bit lonely." The brunette said slowly so Kyungsoo could read his lips.   "I'm not." Kyungsoo said simply.   "Oh but staring out the window does give off a lonely vibe." The blue haired said. "Why don't you come with us. We can make you feel better."   Kyungsoo scoffed, he gave them a no, finished this food, paying the waitress and left. He went to the bathroom before he left and then stepped outside. His feet touched the hard pavement of the alley and the sensors in his head went off as he felt someone around. Two someone's.   He turned around and was quickly met with the two guys earlier. He gasped as they suddenly lunged at him, dragging him into the darker parts of the alley. Kyungsoo tried to scream but one guy quickly gagged his mouth. They shoved his up against the alley cold dark walls and a hand trailed down his cheeks. Kyungsoo pulled pack but the other guy gripped him tightly as he tried to squirm away. Hands trailed down his neck to his chest and down to his stomach and Kyungsoo felt like he was going to throw up. The silence was scaring him. Not being able to hear or see what was going on was killing him. It was too dark. He couldn't even shout or tell if his muffled screams were being heard. The feeling of his pants being pulled Kyungsoo back into reality. He tried to pull the one holding him off but all he got was a smack to the face. Kyungsoo was shocked. People don't just hit him. He's Do Kyungsoo. Son of Goyang's notorious gang leader Do Hoseo and he would not be taken so lightly.   "No !" Kyungsoo shouted through the gag. He felt the ground with his mind and move moved the earth to knock the two men away from him. They both flew back into the walls and Kyungsoo felt them crumble to the ground. One guy got up quickly though and tried to restrain Kyungsoo again but he raised his hand, making a wall of the earth shoot out and block Kyungsoo. He then pushed the wall out to trap the other male in between it and the wall of the diner. Kyungsoo turned around to the other guy and kicked him in the face. He picked him up and threw him against the wall also molding him in place. Kyungsoo felt them both squirm but the wall was too heavy for them to move.   "You know what I hate most in this world ? One, ." Kyungsoo looked at the males with a glare. "Two, people who don't listen and three, people who think that they can hit me and think that I will submit to anyone when I won't !" The wall seemed to move closer and closer, crushing the males and slammed harder into the stone of the diner with Kyungsoo's shout.   "Oh what I'd give to hear you two beg for forgiveness really. You know what I'll give you two a chance to plead mercy." Kyungsoo said looking at the two in the dark. He could make out their faces and their mouths moving and could see the fear and he suddenly felt so much better.   "Sorry boys. But I can't seem to hear a thing lately." Kyungsoo said and placed the last bit of the wall over the males faces, blocking them from any sight. He walked out of the alley way with a sigh and dusted himself off. He felt so much better to be in his right mind. To get that fear and panic out of his head. He doesn't like not being in control of himself. It made him uneasy    But Kyungsoo knew exactly who he was and exactly what he could do. And with this new found power, he could do so much more. He still needed to go home though. He was only sixteen. His dad would probably kill him when he saw him but at least he was alive. And he would continue living.   .   Kyungsoo found a taxi a couple miles west of the small town. It was dead at night and he was tired and his eyes burned and sleep called him. He told the taxi man where to go and fell into a dreamless sleep as they pulled off.   He woke up what felt like minuets later to the familiar streets of Goyang. He was pretty far from home and the taxi bill wasn't cheap but Kyungsoo didn't care. He paid the man and walked to his house. The sun has risen and Kyungsoo wondered briefly how many days he was gone.   He stopped at his home and pressed the code into the gate. The door open and Kyungsoo walked inside. He walked up the path to his modernize traditional house and slid to his room. His fathers guards greeted him with blank faces but Kyungsoo didn't hear them as he shut his door and slipped out of those dirty clothes. He took a shower and soon as his body touched his bed, he was asleep again.   The next time Kyungsoo woke up was too a hand roughly shaking his shoulder. He groaned and opened his eyes to see his older brother Seungsoo saying something. Kyungsoo immediately pulled him into a hug as he saw the elder making him freeze.   "Hyung I missed you." Kyungsoo said holding his hyung closer as the previous thoughts from the night before came back in his head. Too much had been going on. It felt like days ago he was out sneaking into clubs and now he had died, revived somehow and now was deaf but powerful. He was almost if his panic controlled his mind any longer and he felt exhausted.    The vibrations on his hyung's words made Kyungsoo sigh before he pulled back.   "I can't hear you." Kyungsoo said and his brother looked confused. "I'm deaf."   "Don't lie like that." Seungsoo's lips read.   "I'm not." Kyungsoo said. "Every sound I ever heard is gone."    Seungsoo stared at his brother for a moment to see if he was telling the truth before his hyung touched his ears.  The cold hands made Kyungsoo shiver but he made no indication of hearing anything when his brother leaned to clap in his ears. He did it twice but Kyungsoo remained un phased.    "We have to tell dad." Seungsoo said and Kyungsoo sighed but nodded. He followed his older brother through the house until they reached their fathers office. Kyungsoo watched his older brother knock on the door and take a moment before opening it. Their father was on his laptop before he looked up. He seemed to say something as he looked at Kyungsoo but the young teen sighed.   "I can't-" Seungsoo cut him off by placing a hand on his. Their dad typed away before he paused. He looked at Seungsoo with a serious gaze before standing up. He walked over to Kyungsoo who looked at his father with serious serious eyes. He said something to Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo didn't catch it so he made sure to follow the words that flowed out his mouth the second time.   "Explain what happened now."   Kyungsoo gestured for them to take a seat. He then began telling his what happened when he ran into Hakyeon and the events that followed over. When he was done he looked at his father who stared at him.   "Do you think this is a joke ?" Mr.Do asked.   "Yeah Kyunggie. Powers ?" Seungsoo said and Kyungsoo sighed.   "Let me prove it to you." Kyungsoo slid the door of his fathers office open. He was greeted with the familiar scene of their yard and he stepped down to walk in it. The guards looked at him but said nothing as he walked into the middle of the yard. His brother and father were looking at him curiously and Kyungsoo gave them a smile as he stomped on the ground and levels of the earth began to shoot out. The guards quickly jumped back, guns ready and Kyungsoo could see his father's reaction clearly shocked.   Seungsoo was the first to walk over towards him. He took cautious steps over to his baby brother and stopped a few feet in front of him.   "Okay Kyungsoo put these away." Seungsoo gestured to the earth and Kyungsoo raised his arm and pushed it down and the earth followed his movement until it looked like nothing happened. He looked back up to his hyung.   "Now, come here." Seungsoo said and Kyungsoo took a step towards him. He then felt something off.   "Why ?" Kyungsoo asked.   "I just want to see if you're alright." Seungsoo said.   "I'm fine." Kyungsoo said. His eyes looked over to his father whose face was blank. "What did he say ?"   "He said nothing. Just come back inside. It's not safe." Seungsoo said and Kyungsoo looked at his brother oddly. What wasn't safe ? Kyungsoo took another step forward, towards his father who was being blocked by the guards. They held their guns unwavering and Kyungsoo gave them a smile before he shifted the earth underneath them so he could face his father.   "Dad."   "My son. We have a lot to talk about. But first why don't we figure out a way for you to talk without talking. You're a bit loud." His father said and Kyungsoo blinked.   "I can't hear my own voice to know what's loud and what's not." Kyungsoo said climbing the step and back into the office. His father placed a hand on his shoulder, giving him one of those sincere looks he only gives his family before they slid the door shut. Seungsoo sat beside Kyungsoo again, tapping on his wrist.    "So we will all need to learn sign language. And then, help you with these, powers. They seem a little unstable and it would be better for you to know what you're doing than not at all." Mr.Do said and both boys nodded. "Seungsoo you train him."   Kyungsoo looked at his brother just in time to catch his shucked expression but not what he said. He looked back at his father.   "...that can help him. He is your brother and we do everything to help family. The less people to know, the better." Mr.Do said.   "So how will we train ?" Kyungsoo asked.   "I'll find something. In the mean time I'll let the staff know you're...condition." Mr.Do said and Kyungsoo nodded. "In the mean time here." Kyungsoo was thrown a heavy book. "I expect you to know it in two weeks time. Now do get out. I have a lot to think about. Go eat breakfast." Both boys nodded, thanking their father for this time and slid the door open to the connecting living room.   Kyungsoo looked down at the book in his hands.   "Korean Sign Language."    .   For the next few days, Kyungsoo did only a couple things. He spent time learning KSL. Thankfully already knowing some things and even called his deaf cousin Hyerum up to help him. He also was forced to train with his older brother. They both didn't know what to do at first because no one had ever seen anything like this. Controlling the earth. They spent the first day trying to learn what Kyungsoo can do. Which in short, was a lot. To him the earth was one. He could lift it, mold it, move it. He could harden it and soften it and it was just like dough to him. The second day Seungsoo wanted to see him a few moves with the earth. He wanted to see if he could fight with it. They sparred without his powers the first time. Seungsoo was always better then his brother at many things and one was especially fighting. But Kyungsoo felt a change as he blocked one of this brother's punches and grabbed his arm, flinging his heavy body like it was nothing.   "Wow." Seungsoo said when he picked himself back up. "You just threw me across the field like a toothpick."   "Yeah." Kyungsoo said after his brother repeated himself much slowly. "Maybe because you feel like one."   They spent the next two days fighting until the fourth day, they had seemed to come to a optical. The communication was hard. Since Kyungsoo needed to be able to see the older when it talked it was hard to take orders when he wasn't in his line of vision. They were both tired of stopping training just to make Seungsoo repeat himself or have Kyungsoo teach him the sign that went with what he was saying.   "Come here." Seungsoo said slowly as they sat down. Kyungsoo looked at his brother patiently.   "You can't hear right ? And it's hard to see words so how about we do something new." Seungsoo then patted the earth. It vibrated under Kyungsoo's feet.   "Did you feel that ?" Seungsoo asked and Kyungsoo nodded. Seungsoo did two more pats and they both vibrated against one another.   "Hyung is this-"   "Morse co
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter