The Evidence

Guardian of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Min Ho took a look at his watch before he turned to the door of the VIP room in the hotel. He then looked down at his tie pin and caressed it softly, adjusting it to the perfect angle. There was a tiny built in camera and sound recorder in it, given to him by Choi Jin Hyuk. All his conversation with Choi Kang Ho later will be recorded for future charges and reference.

Park Min Sik sent him over here tonight, representing him to have a discussion with Choi Kang Ho regarding the investment for the theme park project. He knew it very clearly that the meeting tonight was a test for him. In order to gain his trust, he has to make sure this discussion will bring back what Park Min Sik want from him.      

He immediately straightened himself up when he saw the door opened. He stood up and bowed politely at Choi Kang Ho who was walking towards the table with his assistant followed closely behind him. He sat back on his chair when Choi Kang Ho sat in front of him.

“I was quite disappointed that Park sajang didn’t come here personally for this meeting. I thought the project is very important to him. It was an insult to send someone like you to discuss with me. If he is not interested for this cooperation, please don’t waste my time. I have a lot more important task to take care.” Choi Kang Ho said impatiently.

Min Ho smiled as he put a file in front of him. “You should take a look at this file before you decide what kind of person I am and was it worth to discuss with me. You might want to beg me later to continue this discussion with you.”

Choi Kang Ho’s face immediately darkened. His gaze shifted down at the file and opens it slowly.

Min Ho’s grin widened with satisfaction when he saw Choi Kang Ho’s face stared to turned green. Looking at his expression, he knew his test today will pass with flying colours. He took the glass of water in front of him and took a small sip. “Do you still think that having a discussion with me is an insult to you now?”

Choi Kang Ho inhaled a sharp breath before looking up at Min Ho. “Where did you get all this?”

“You don’t need to know where and how I get it. Most importantly, I had it. And I think you should guess it by now what is this discussion all about.” Min Ho said as a slight smile still plastered on his face.

Choi Kang Ho closed the file and tried to let out a smirk. “Do you think something like this could put me into the jail? I have a group of lawyers behind me to help me to solve this kind of problem.”

Min Ho leaned forward and looked deep into Choi Kang Ho’s eyes. “Not when you don’t have your son to back you up now. Your son’s case already brought you a big problem and a bad image in your bank. If your son wasn’t involved in a case like this, he still can replace you as CEO in Eastern bank while you have to figure out with your group of lawyers on how to fix this corruption problem. But now he was also in a deep . If this files were to reach the Korea Independent Commission Against Corruption Department, do you think you still be able to protect your position as a CEO in the bank? I doubt the board members will continue support you.”   

He leaned back against his chair, still looking at Choi Kang Ho. “I guess you only have two choices now. Get yourself into the headlines in every newspaper all over the world by tomorrow.” He paused as he put another file in front of Choi Kang Ho. “Or sign this contract to invest in Park sajang’s theme park project.” Min Ho smiled. “I hope you make a wise choice on this matter.”

Choi Kang Ho’s face hardened as he glared at Min Ho.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Hahaha…” Park Min Shik laughed so loudly that his voice irritates Min Ho’s ears so much. He couldn’t stop himself from laughing looking at the contract that Choi Kang Ho had signed. “Well done, Min Ho. I never thought it would be so easy. You should have come to see me earlier to save my headache that I was suffering for so long. I almost need to sell my daughter off to get him to sign on this damn contract.”

Min Ho clenched his hands into fist under the table. He smiled slightly. “I’m glad that I could help.” He paused as he looked at Park Min Sik. “Since he already signed the contract, what will be our next step?” He asked carefully.

Park Min Sik grinned as he averted his gaze. “After we have get all the paper works approve by the government, we can start with phase one of the project.”

“You mean we will start with the hotel first?” Min Ho asked again.

“Yes. Building the hotel will be in phase one. What you need to do now is to make sure all the government authorities sign the papers and get the project moving.” Park Min Sik said.

Min Ho nodded. He stole a glance at Park Min Sik who was still grinning evilly looking at the contract. His intuition told him that there was still something Park Min Sik is hiding from him. He didn’t fully trust him yet. He has to find a way to find out. He sighed silently.  

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

“You mean he didn’t mention anything about the Chinese partners in the project to you?” Choi Jin Hyuk asked.

Min Ho shook his head. “He didn’t mention a single thing about that. I don’t think he trust me enough to let me know about something that important yet. If we guess correctly, he was helping those Chinese investors to do money laundering using this project.” He then turned to Jin Hyuk. “How about his computer? Is there any important files?”

Jin Hyuk heaved a sigh. “He is very careful. Those files in his computer were not enough for us to press a charge on him. But at least we got to know about those three Chinese investors were have something to do with this project. Our people already started to check their backgrounds.” He said as he patted Min Ho’s shoulder. “And your job is to keep trying to get evidence for all these.”

Min Ho turned away and looked at the night view from the rooftop building. “But first of all, I need to find a way for him to trust me more.”

“It won’t happen overnight. You need time for that.”Jin Hyuk squeezed his shoulder. “And about the things you asked me to check for you, I think nothing much that it could help you. But I think you were right. Something is strange.”

Min Ho immediately turned back at Jin Hyuk. “What did you found?”

“Park Yoo Chun, 27 years old. His real name was Han Yoo Chun. His father Han Koon was Park Min Sik’s driver since he wasn’t even born. His mother passed away due to cancer when he was 7 years old. He stayed with his father in Park’s mansion since he was born and had known Park Dae Jung and Park Shin Hye since they were kids. But then, everything changed when his father suddenly passed away 17 years ago. His body was found in a river and nothing was suspicious since there was no sign of him being kill or torture. Police department took it as a suicide case and closed the file. Not long after that, Park Min Sik adopted Han Yoo Chun and he later changed his name to Park Yoo Chun. Even though he was Park Min Sik’s adopted son but he was like a stranger to him in the house. He doesn’t really love him and his full concentration was on his own son Park Dae Jung. But after Park Dae Jung passed away 8 years ago, Park Yoo Chun joined Dragon Corporation and worked as his assistant.” Jin Hyuk paused as he looked at Min Ho.

“Nothing special about his daily life. He doesn’t have many friends and the only person he always being together for the past years was Park Dae Jung and Park Shin Hye. After Park Dae Jung passed away, he got even closer with Park Shin Hye. Everyone in the house or even in the company thought they were couple. They were very close to each other and everyone around them knows Park Yoo Chun love Park Shin Hye a lot.” Jin Hyuk continued.

Min Ho exhaled sharply as his face hardened. The jealousy feeling was slowly creeping into his nerves. “Then what is so strange about him?”

“The strange thing is not him but his father. There were rumours saying that it was Park Min Sik who kill his father because he knew some kind of secret about Park Min Sik. But there is one thing I don’t understand. If Park Min Sik really kill his father, then why he still want to adopt Park Yoo Chun as his son?” Jin Hyuk replied.

Min Ho frowned. “Does he have any siblings or other relative?”

“He is the only son. But Han Koon has a sister, Han Ji Min. I couldn’t find anything about her. She was like vanish into thin air after her brother passed away.” Jin Hyuk said.

Min Ho sighed deeply. “How about the accident? Did you find anything about it?” He asked again.

Jin Hyuk nodded his head. “I was quite sure it wasn’t just an accident. The main cause of the car losses it brake function was because the fluid part of the brake system has broken and it no longer have the pressure to stop the car. There was a serious leakage in the brake master cylinder. When I browse through the old files, there were a set of unknown fingerprints on the master cylinder. At that time the biggest suspect was Han Seok Kyu, the owner of TF Corporation now. It was said that Park Min Sik killed his brother 30 years ago and the accident was a revenge to kill his children back. But the case was later closed due to lack of evidence.”

“But as I said earlier, the target might not be Park Dae Jung and Shin Hye but Park Min Sik because that was his car. But how did Han Seok Kyu know that Park Dae Jung’s car was sent to service and will take his father’s car on that day? Something told me that the accident has nothing to do with Han Seok Kyu.” Min Ho said as he let out a deep sigh again. “This is getting complicated.”

Jin Hyuk patted Min Ho’s back. “Put all those things aside first. What you need to do now is to gain more trust from Park Min Sik and get the evidence for his crime. The faster you get it, the earlier you could stop this undercover mission.”

Min Ho smiled sadly. “Is that mean it will be sooner for Shin Hye to find out about the truth too?”

Jin Hyuk sighed helplessly.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

2 months later…

 

“All the necessary documents were already approved by the government authorities for the project. We can officially start the phase one around next month once all investors started loading in their funds.” Min Ho reported in the management meeting.

Park Min Sik smiled in satisfaction. “Very good. You have got the approval faster than what we have planned. Have you liaise with the local investors about the money? How about Eastern Bank?”

Min Ho turned to Park Min Sik. “I have already received the first payment from Eastern Bank and two others local investors. Everything was in control.” He paused as he continued to ask carefully. “How about the foreign investors? Do you want me to help liaising with them also?”

Park Min Sik shook his head as he looked away. “It’s alright. I will handle that myself. You just concentrate and take care of those in Korea. The rest I will settle.” He looked at his watch before turning back to all the staffs. “It’s very late. Let’s adjourn the meeting now and all of you can go home and grab your dinner.”

Everyone stood up and bowed politely at Park Min Sik before walked out of the meeting room. Min Ho got up from his chair and before he walked away, Park Min Sik called him from behind. He turned around and looked at him. “Yes, sajang-nim?”

“Do you have any dinner appointment with Shin Hye tonight?” Park Min Sik asked.

Min Ho smiled. “We had lunch together this afternoon. I’m not meeting her tonight.”

Park Min Sik nodded. “Then let’s have dinner with me.”

“Okay.” Min Ho replied. Even though he hates it but this was a great opportunity to get closer to him.   

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

“How do you find Dragon Corporation? You have been working with me for 3 months already. What do you think about your job?” Park Min Sik asked as he put his chopsticks down, wiped his mouth with a napkin.

Min Ho looked up at him and put his chopsticks down too. “What can I say about Dragon Corporation except it was the greatest place for me to build my career? Every project done by Dragon Corporation was a huge success since so many years ago. All the buildings you built were with high quality standard that everyone in South Korea dreams to have as their home. I felt grateful to have this opportunity to work with you. I learned so much in the past 3 months. Thank you for giving me a chance.”

Park Min Sik laughed. “I didn’t give you any chance. You earned it yourself. Although you are inexperience but your performance was outstanding in these few months.” He paused as he took a sip of his drink. “Every success has a story behind. Not everyone was born to be successful. I have gone through a lot too before I reached where I was standing now.” He smiled at Min Ho. “Young man, your road is still very long. There are a lot of opportunities waiting for you in front.”

“Agreed.” Min Ho nodded his head. “But from a triad leader to become the head of the construction industry in South Korea in less than 20 years, it was indeed impressive.” He looked deep into the old man’s eyes. “You must be very proud of yourself when you saw the first building built by your company.”

Park Min Sik’s eyes darkened as he looked away. “You wouldn’t believe that the first building that was built by Dragon Corporation was the biggest shame and failure.”

Min Ho inhaled deeply before he asked. “Why?”

“The first apartment was officially released for sale 20 years ago. At that time Dragon Corporation was just started and was still a small construction company. Because of the low price, it was all sold within a month. It took 3 years for the completion of the project but too bad. It collapsed in just 6 months after the completion.” He said.

Min Ho forced himself to put on a straight face. “I heard about it after I joined the company. It was said that Dragon Corporation used some cheap and some out of safety standard materials on that building and there were solid proofs for that. It was later announced that you were not guilty because the building collapsed due to the instability of the ground beneath it. I don’t understand how you escape from it. Was all those accusations from the public was just rumours or you turned all those facts into rumours?”

Park Min Sik laughed softly. “This is the reality world we are living in. Everything can be settled with money. If you have money, nobody will bother about facts or rumours. As long as you pay them, you can turn anything to the way you want it to be.”

Min Ho fisted his palms under the table as he tried so hard to control his emotion that was burning inside of him. “But there were a lot of lives taken away because of that incident. Don’t you feel a slight sorry or guilty for them or their families?”

Park Min Sik looked straight at him. “To be successful, there must always be sacrifices. Anything could happen in this world. We can’t be sorry for everybody. Selfishness is the strongest strength that human must have. In order to survive, our hearts have to be hardened.”

Min Ho clenched his jaw as he forced out another smile. “I think you just put in some very important tips into my pocket today. I realized I still have a lot to learn from you before I could be successful.”

Park Min Sik laughed loudly. “You have succeeded the first step by courting my daughter. If you continued with your good performance, do what you should do and don’t do what you shouldn’t do, I can assured you that the position of my son in-law will be safely in your hand.”

Min Ho smiled forcefully as he took a big sip of his soju.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

“I’ll see you in the office tomorrow.” Park Min Sik said as he walked towards his car in the basement with Kim Woo Bin and other bodyguards behind him.

Min Ho nodded politely. “See you tomorrow, sajang-nim.” He turned around and smiled when Woo Bin nudged him with his elbow. “See you tomorrow.” He whispered before he walked towards his car. But then, a white colour van caught his attention when it moved very fast passed him. By the time he turned around, it was already too late for him to react.

The van’s door slide opened and he just saw few guys with their mask on, pointing their guns at Park Min Sik and his bodyguards. Just within a second, louds gunshot sound filled the basement.

Two bodyguards were shot and fell on the floor while Woo Bin was shielding Park Min Sik with his hand holding a gun, shooting the men in the van. They were running to a car and tried to hide behind it. Those men were still shooting towards their direction as another two more bodyguards were shot.

Min Ho quickly ran towards them and took the gun from one of the bodyguard on the floor. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter