Familiar

Guardian of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’ve been staying in this apartment for the past 10 years. Although this is not a big mansion but the area here is very peaceful and the transport is very convenient. You wouldn’t be able to find any better place like this one. And the price you are offering is just slightly higher than market price. I can easily get a buyer that can offer a better price.” The middle-aged man said arrogantly.

Park Shin Hye’s brows creased as she walked closer to the man and looked at him with a hopeful gaze. “How much do you want? I can offer higher price. I can give you double of the price I’m…”

“Excuse me, please give us a minute.” Kim Soo Hyun cut her off. He pulled Shin Hye to the corner and glared at her.  “Yah, Park Shin Hye. Are you insane? This is just a studio apartment. The price you are paying him now is already higher than the market price. With that price you are offering, you can at least get a two-bedroom apartment. This man is just trying to close the deal with a higher price because he saw the urgency on your face.” He paused when he saw Shin Hye bit her lip, looked like she is going to cry anytime soon. He sighed. “Are you really that desperate?” He asked.

Shin Hye nodded her head vigorously. “Yes. I desperately need this apartment. No matter how much he wants, I will pay him.”

“But is it really necessary to move next door to his apartment? You make me anxious knowing that you are staying here alone. I can understand why you don’t want to stay in your father’s mansion anymore due to the incident happened there but you can always stay in the beach house or get a better place. At least someone can take care of you.” Soo Hyun said.

Shin Hye bit her lip again as she looked down. “If I don’t move near to him, I couldn’t find any excuse to see him. The more he sees me, the higher chance he could remember me.”

Soo Hyun let out a deep sigh. “Why don’t you just tell him everything about both of you? I think it will be better to be straightforward to him, tell him everything directly than pretend that both of you are just friends. Tell him both of you were in love with each other and were together.”

Shin Hye lifted her head up, looking at him. “I don’t want to push him. Woo Bin said he will get a terrible headache whenever he try to recall things that he forgotten. I just want to take everything slowly and naturally. I have confidence he will remember me.”

“What if he doesn’t?” Soo Hyun asked again.

“Then we will start all over again.” Shin Hye let out a soft smile. She held Soo Hyun’s hand and squeezed it softly. “Appa was right. I shouldn’t give up. I’m not blind anymore and I don’t need people to take care of me. I can take care of myself.” She smiled again. “And I have an inspector staying beside me. I will be safe. No other place is safer than here.”

Soo Hyun let out a defeated sigh before he turned back at the apartment’s owner and walked towards him.

“We will top up another 10% and that will be our final offer. Take the money or keep the house. We can easily get the same apartment at a better price too.” Soo Hyun said firmly.

Shin Hye bit her lip nervously as she looked at the middle-aged man with an expectant gaze.

The owner hesitated for a while before he stretched his hand out and smiled at Shin Hye. “Deal.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Shin Hye slowly opened her eyes with the sunlight seeping through the curtains piercing her eyes, making her to moan in pain. She tries to turn away, but as soon as she moved, her head starts spinning and she can feel every pulse of her blood in her temples. She groaned and reached up to run a hand through her tangled hair. She winced as she sat up, still squinting against the sun. She dragged herself up along with the white sheet and leaned heavily against the headboard. was dry and she was wearing the same clothes from last night.

She rubbed her forehead, trying to clear away some of the headaches that had accumulated during the night. She scanned around the apartment and she still has no idea how she got back last night. She remembered going to the pub where Min Ho and Woo Bin were drinking. They were talking and everything went very well until Yoon Eun Hye arrived. She flirted with Min Ho and she got upset. She started to drink the beer that she ordered and the last thing she remembered was in Min Ho’s car.

Shin Hye widened her eyes slowly. He must be the one who sent her back last night. But how did he know she stay here? She must have told him herself when she was drunk. Did she tell him anything that she shouldn’t? Did she do anything to him that she shouldn’t? All those questions were like needles poking her head. It only makes her feel worse. Her heart clenched with nervousness as she was unsure what happened last night. She really shouldn’t have drank that much. She wasn’t made to drink any alcohol. Her brain hurt too much already to deal with the thoughts.

She turned to the clock on the bedside table and it was only 7am. She shook her head and get down of the bed slowly. But before she could even stand up, she heard the doorbell. Her heartbeat instantly raced as she panicked. It must be Min Ho. She quickly brushed her hair back with her fingers and rushed towards the door monitor. She bit her lip when she saw him standing outside the door. She took a deep breath before opening the door for him.

Her face blushed immediately when she saw Min Ho’s handsome face smiling at her.

“H-Hi.” Shin Hye stuttered.

“Good morning.” Min Ho said with a wide smile.

“W-Why are you here so early in the morning?” She asked, pretended that she doesn’t know he was staying next door.

Min Ho’s lips curled up again as his eyes were locked at her. “I thought you already know about it.”

Shin Hye tried to look away from him but her eyes were betraying her. “K-Know about what?” Her voice started to quaver. She was a bad liar. Even when she was blind, even when she couldn’t see people’s gaze, she can never lie. And now, his eyes were burning hers with intensity. She could hardly even breathe.

“That I stay next door.” Min Ho said.

Shin Hye’s lips parted but she couldn’t find the right word to say. She clenched her hands into fist, trying to look surprise.

“Y-You stay next door? I didn’t know. I just moved here 2 days ago and I don’t even have the chance to meet the neighbours around. Please don’t misunderstand. I didn’t move here because of you. I didn’t know you stay here and I was just…” Shin Hye tried to explain but every word that came out from sounded unconvincing. She bit her lip as she inhaled deeply.

Min Ho chuckled at her nervousness and cute expression. “Don’t get me wrong. I didn’t say you move here because of me. I just thought you already know about it since I told you last night when I brought you back.”

Shin Hye let out an embarrass smile as she looked down. “I see. I can’t remember what you told me last night. In fact, I don’t remember a single thing.”

“Hmmm…” Min Ho pursed his lips. “It’s not surprising that you couldn’t remember because you were very drunk last night. Looking at the amount you drank at the pub and how drunk you were, I assumed that you really have pretty low tolerance for alcohol.”

Shin Hye moved her hand to her neck and rubbed her nape as her face reddened even more. “I-It was my first time actually.”

Min Ho’s brows raised and looked at her in disbelief. It was news to him that a girl at her age have never touch alcohol before.

Shin Hye felt uncomfortable with the sudden silence as she slowly looked up at him again. “Do you want to come in?” She asked softly.

“Oh, no. I just dropped by to see how you were doing and give you this.” He said as he lifted his hand up with a vacuum flask in it. “Ginger tea. It’s good for hangover.”

Shin Hye’s eyes dropped to the vacuum flask as she took it with a soft smile. “Thank you.”

Min Ho can’t help but smiled at her blushed cheeks. “I know how ridiculous it feels when you woke up with your head throbbing and your stomach performing the crazy dance moves inside. Your head might possibly implode or explode at any moment that you can’t tell which.” He can tell that her head was still spinning looking at her pale face. “You should take a hot shower and have some soothing food like soup or porridge. It will make you feel better.”

Shin Hye tightened her grip on the vacuum flask as she nodded her head.

He pulled his gaze away from her and pointed at the elevator. “I have to rush back to the police station now. Take care.” He said before he started to walk away.

“Min Ho-sshi.” Shin Hye called out.

Min Ho stopped his step as he turned around and looked at her.

Shin Hye looked hesitated for a while before she asked. “Last night… did I say anything or do anything when I was drunk?”

Min Ho looked at her for long seconds before he shook his head. “No. You were very drunk and luckily you were still conscious when I asked you for your door passcode. If not I might need to bring you back to my apartment. You were fast asleep once we stepped into your apartment.” He lied.

“I see.” Shin Hye smiled at him.

“I have to go now. See you around.” He said when the elevator doors opened.

“Good bye.” Shin Hye replied.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Min Ho flicked mindlessly through a file in his office as his mind was flooded up with memory of what had happened last night in Shin Hye’s apartment. He slowly moved his hand up and grabbed on the necklace that was hanging around his neck. Woo Bin gave him this necklace on the day he discharged. He said it was something very important to him. He caressed the whistle pendant and looked at the alphabets that were engraved on it. No matter how hard he tried to think and tried to remember, he still couldn’t figure out what that the alphabets mean. But now, he slowly understands about it.

“M&S… Min and Shin. Min Ho and Shin Hye.” He murmured. He closed his eyes as a wave of forgotten memories ran into his head causing it throb painfully. He tightened his fingers around the pendant and inhaled deeply, trying to soothe the pain away.

“The designer named it as ‘Whistle In My Heart’”.  

Min Ho flipped his eyes opened, looking at the pendant he was holding. “Who is she?”

----------

“Why must it be Yoon Eun Hye? You can always have a better choice.” Shin Hye said as she leaned forward, pressing her lips against Min Ho’s with a soft kiss.

Min Ho’s eyes widened and froze in place. She brushed her lips against his, gently coaxes him to open for her. He clenched his jaw hard and gathered all his senses to resist, gathered all the strength he have and pushed her away softly. Their eyes were glistening in the dark, looking deep into each other’s gaze. He couldn’t deny that every muscle in his body was hardened because of her but he couldn’t take advantage of her especially when she was drunk. He doesn’t even know who she was. Even though she and Woo Bin keep saying that he knows her but he couldn’t remember.

He exhaled sharply. “You are drunk.” He said.

Shin Hye bit her lower lip as she looked down, smiling sadly with tears rolling down her cheeks. “Yes, I’m drunk.” She brought her hand down and grabbed on his shirt, slowly looking up at him again. “Tell me I was drunk and everything was just a dream. You didn’t forget about me. It was just a dream.”

Min Ho’s chest tightened looking at the tears on her face. Although he couldn’t see her face clearly in the dark but her voice was so painful that it hurt his heart just listening to it. He slowly moved his hand to her cheek and wiped her tears away with his thumb. 

“Why do you always looked at me with such a sad gaze whenever you saw me? What did I do to you in the past?” He asked in confusion.

Shin Hye leaned her head against his chest and more tears flowed down from her eyes, soaking into his shirt. “You asked me not to leave you but why are you leaving me now? You said you love me. How can you forget about me? Why are you doing this to me?” She said between sobs.

There was a long silence with Min Ho holding her firmly in his embrace, gently her back. He wasn’t sure the person she was mumbling now is him or not since she was so drunk. After a while, he slowly pulled away from her and his lips curled up into a soft smile when he saw her eyes closed, dozed off into slumberland. Standing, he gently gathered her into his arms, surprised by just how small she was, carried her up and slowly walked towards her bed.

Placing her gently on the bed, Min Ho reached down and slid off her shoes before pulling the blankets up to cover her body. He turned to the bedside table and switched on the lamp. He took a look at Shin Hye before he made his way to the bathroom and came out with a wet towel in his hand. Sitting beside the bed, he wiped her face very softly. His hand stopped moving when she suddenly opened her eyes, looking at him.

“Oppa…” She uttered.

Min Ho took the wet towel away from her face and put it at the bedside table. He sighed silently as he looked back at her. “Is that oppa you are calling now referring to me?”

Shin Hye reached out for his hand and grasped at it tightly. “Oppa… please don’t leave me…” She whispered as her eyes were closing up slowly.

Min Ho smiled. “I think it’s just the alcohol talking.” He said to himself. He her cheek gently with the back of his hand. The clearer he looked at her, the faster his heart was beating. She was undeniably beautiful. Her smooth skin, small pointy nose, tiny pinkish moisturized lips, was all so perfect on her face. And those big eyes. Whenever she looked at him, it was like there are a lot of things she wanted to tell him. The sadness, the pains and the hopeful gaze she was expressing through her eyes, it tightened his chest whenever he see it. 

Shin Hye’s forehead furrowed as her hand slowly moved to her collar and started to undo the button. “I’m very hot.” She mumbled.

“Yah!” Min Ho was frightened when he saw her flawless smooth chest with her shirt half opened now. He quickly pulled it back together to cover it but before he could button up the shirt, something caught his eyes. He slowly pulled the necklace that was hanging around her neck out from her shirt and his eyes were widened when he saw the pendant. He pulled his necklace that was hiding underneath his shirt and held it side by side with Shin Hye’s one. Hers was rose gold and his was silver. The design of the pendants, the pattern of the two necklaces was obviously the same or a pair despite the size difference. Even the alphabets that were engraved on the pendants were the same. 

His eyes slowly moved back at Shin Hye. “Who are you?” He asked softly.

Shin Hye doesn’t reply him as she was already dozed off to sleep. She didn’t make any sound again and her breathing was slow and steady, leaving a confused Min Ho watching at her.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

“You what?” Kim Woo Bin’s eyes were wide opened and couldn’t believe what he just heard. “You moved to the apartment next to him?” He asked again before he put his coffee down on the table.

Shin Hye nodded her head with embarrassment. “Y-Yes. I moved there 2 weeks ago. I thought it would be easier for me to get close to him when I stay next door. I can create more opportunity to see him and make him slowly remember about me. But I guess I was wrong.” She said as she looked down with disappointment.

Woo Bin raised his brows in confusion. “Why? What’s wrong?”

Shin Hye sighed deeply before looking up at him again. “Since that morning he came to see me and gave me the ginger tea, I didn’t see him anymore. The first week was still okay. I waited until very late at night and he only come back passed midnight. He looked so tired and I don’t dare to disturb him. I guess he must be very busy with the work in the police station. But this week, he didn’t even come back anymore.” Shin Hye bit her lip, looking troubled. “That was why I called you out and see whether he told you that he doesn’t feel comfortable with me staying beside him and he was trying to avoid me. But looking at your shock expression just now when I told you that I moved to his building, I guess he didn’t say anything to you.”

Woo Bin smiled at her. “I guess you are just overthinking. He was really very busy with a new case lately. I called him out few times for drinks but every time he was still in the police station. He was not avoiding you. He was out of town for a new case. I heard he will be coming back in these two days.”

Shin Hye’s eyes shone with delight. “Really? Oh god. The thought of him avoiding me was killing me. I was already thinking to look for a new place to move.” She let out a sigh of relief.

Woo Bin chuckled at her cute expression. “He really needs a good punch in his face when he remembers everything. He will surely regret how much he makes you suffer.”

The smile on Shin Hye’s face slowly faded as she sighed deeply. “I don’t need him to feel regret or feel sorry for me. I just hope he could gain his memories back and remember me.” She bit her lip and forced out a smile at him. “I can’t wait for the day when he look at me, look into my eyes and tell me that he will never leave me again.”

Woo Bin let out a warm smile and nodded his head. “I believe this day will come. Both of you had overcome so many obstacles and I’m sure you are strong enough to wait until that day. I’ll be here to support both of you.”

“Thank you.” Shin Hye smiled back at him.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Shin Hye jumped up from her couch immediately when she heard the elevator’s sound and footsteps along the corridor. She ran towards the door monitor and she smiled from ear to ear when she saw Min Ho walked passed her door. She bit her lip as she turned around, leaning her back against the door, pressing her hands on her chest. Her heart was pounding so hard and fast that she could barely breathe.

“Why do I act like a stalker?” She mumbled as she smiled shyly at herself.

She hurriedly ran to her kitchen and took the vacuum flask that Min Ho gave her 2 weeks ago. She then rushed to the mirror at the side of her closet and brushed her fingers through her long wavy hair to make sure she looked neat and nice. She took a deep breath before rushing towards the door and walked out of her apart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter