Amnesia

Guardian of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear Shin Hye,

By the time you can read this letter with your own eyes, it means I have already gone to a place which is very far away from you. I know no matter how I beg you, you will still not listen but keep crying like a baby while reading this letter. Please don’t cry. You didn’t know how much it means to me for you to regain your eyesight again. The only regret was I’m not there to share the joy with you.

The reason I wrote this letter was I need to make an apology to you. Or to be exact it was 3 apologies that I need to make. First, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I had lied to you for a long time. I was only 15 years old when Han Ki Ae came to my school and told me everything about Park Min Sik and my father. At that time, my heart was burning with anger, clenching in pain. I was angry because the man that adopted me was actually the person who killed my father. I was sad because the man that I should hate was the father of the woman I love. It has been a long struggle for me. I struggled whether to revenge for my father or to pretend that it never happen. But when I saw how Han Ki Ae cried and begged me, I gave in. I promised her that I will help her with the plan. That was when the lie began. That was when my miserable life began. And that was also when my painful love began.

Second, I’m sorry. I’m sorry about the accident that killed Dae Jung and caused you blind. I swear that I really didn’t know that Dae Jung and you will be going to use the car that day. I just came out from the school when Han Ki Ae came to me and told me that Park Min Sik will be using his car later and teach me how to do something on the brake system so that we can kill him without anybody suspecting us. It has been a difficult decision to make at that time. I wanted to kill him as much as Han Ki Ae does but I don’t want to hurt you. You were always the one and only reason for me to stop and think before I react. When I went home that afternoon, before I even get to go inside the house, I already saw your sad expression telling Dae Jung that Park Min Sik will be away for business trip on your birthday. I saw you crying. I hate seeing you cry. Each and everything that make you cry was because of him. That was when I decided to follow what Han Ki Ae wants me to do. I can kill him to revenge for my father and at the same time I can help you to get rid of him.

But then, when I came out of my room that evening and saw Park Min Sik was still in the car, a huge disappointment creep inside of me. I ran to the car porch and I was stunned that the car was not there. I panicked and quickly ran into the house again and look for you. But before I could even reach your room, Park Min Sik told me to go to the hospital with him. He said Dae Jung and you met with an accident on the way to the beach house. It was my fault. Everything was my fault. I always said I wanted to protect you and take care of you but I was the one who hurt you the most. I took away your brother that you love the most and took away your eyesight, causing you to live in fear and dark. It was all because of me.

Third, I’m sorry again. I’m sorry that I fall in love with you. I still remember when we were still kids, when the first time I saw you. I couldn’t believe there was a girl that beautiful, that kind, that sweet, that lovely, which exist in this world. The beautiful heart you have, the sweet and lovely smile on your angelic face, it was like drug that make me addicted for so many years. There was a dark side of me feeling glad that my father passed away and Park Min Sik adopted me because since then I can always stay near and close to you. I was sure you have no idea how much I love you and wanted to be with you.

You were completely devastated and broke down after Daw Jung’s death. You have totally changed and became a different person. Your smile was taken away together with the accident. You were forced to stay in the beach house alone and face all the sadness alone. I was so angry with what Park Min Sik did to you and he even didn’t allow me to stay there with you. I tried so hard to find free time after I have started work in Dragon Corporation to look for you and be with you as much as I can. I thought there was new hope. I thought you slowly feel the love I give you and love me back. But then, Lee Min Ho stepped into the picture, destroyed everything dream I have for you.

I hate the way he looked at you. I hate the way you blushed whenever he was around you. I hate everything about him that I have reached the point of thinking to kill him. I don’t understand the reason why you fall in love with him so easily. He was just a bodyguard. You don’t even know how he looked like. And even Park Min Sik was agreed to let both of you to be together. I hate him. I hate Lee Min Ho and I hate Park Min Sik.

I thought the nightmare has finally over when you found out that Lee Min Ho was actually an undercover and Park Min Sik was sent to jail. I really thought that the obstacles in between us have finally gone and we can be together. But why? Why must the reality be so cruel to me? If you don’t love me, I can try and try until you accept me one day. But why must you be my half-sister? Why the man that I hated for so many years is my father? I guess the fate is playing with me. The last and only hope I have was totally vanished when the truth revealed. I hate myself that even after I know about my real identity, I still couldn’t control my heart that I still love you very much. How pathetic? I was in love with my own sister. I attempted to kill my own father and killed my own brother.     

My heart almost stopped when I saw Han Ki Ae pointed the gun at you and before I could react, Lee Min Ho already jumped forward and took the bullet for you. The blood was seeping out from the back of his head and at that moment, I was finally awake. I understand why you love him so much even that he lied to you. He loves you so much that he was willing to die for you, to sacrifice for you. I know I should do something too. Without thinking further, I used the gun that I was holding and shot Han Ki Ae. She died instantly. At last, I took her away from this world, far away from you so she couldn’t continue to hurt you. I had locked Ha Neul in the security room and I was sure he already called the police and they will come very soon. I have no choice but to hit you and make you faint so that I could do whatever I have to do.

I was the one who make you blind. I was the one who took your eyesight away. I was the one who make your life become miserable. But it was not late for you to have a new life now. Everything started with me and I will make sure to bring all your sadness away with me too. I have nothing to give you. I thought giving you my love was the best thing I could ever give you but it turns out to be impossible, to be sadness. So, the only one thing that I can give you now is my eyes. The only thing I can pay you back is to give you the chance to see the world again, to see the one you love again.

Shin Hye-ah, the love of my life. Yoo Chun oppa is leaving now. Before I go, please promise me to be strong and continue to fight for your happiness. Don’t let the past lock you inside the fear and dark again. Free yourself from all the past and let oppa take the sadness away for you. Don’t be sad for me, don’t feel sorry for me. Even though we couldn’t be together, but I’ll always stay inside of you. I can live and continue to see the world through you. I guess this was the best ending for all of us. No matter you are my sister or not, you will always be the angel and the best thing that flew into my life. I love you…

Love,

Yoo Chun Oppa.     

 

----------

 

US…

 

Park Shin Hye tightened her fist as she couldn’t hold herself anymore. She cried as hard as she could while looking at herself through the mirror of the dressing table in front of her. She put the letter down as she brought her hand up and touched her eyes softly. She looked deep into her own eyes through the mirror as tears kept rolling down uncontrollably.

“Oppa…”She cried. “I’m not as good as you thought. I should have understood you more. I should have care for you more. I’m very sorry.” Shin Hye paused as she swallowed hard. “I forgive you. I’m not angry with you anymore. I know you were also a victim in this whole incident. I’m sure oppa will forgive you too.”

Kim Soo Hyun sighed deeply as he walked closer to Shin Hye and squeezed her shoulder softly. “That was why your father wants me to hide all these from you. He knows you will be very sad when you know about it. Your unstable emotion will only affect your eyes recovery at that time. So we decided to make sure you are fully recovered before we reveal the truth to you.” He pursed his lips as he sighed again. “When the police found all of you in the underground room, Yoo Chun was already not there. The police thought he ran away. As they were searching for him around the house, they found the study room was lock. They were trying to convince him to open the door. When they were about to break inside, a gunshot sound was heard.”

Shin Hye’s breathing became heavy and hard as she waited for Soo Hyun to continue.

“By the time the police broke into the study room, they saw Yoo Chun was laying lifelessly on the floor.” Soo Hyun took a deep breath before he continued again. “He shot himself right at his heart.”

Shin Hye closed her eyes as more tears poured out from her eyes.

“He was holding tightly onto the organ donor card and it was written on it that he wanted to donate his cornea to you. The police also found this letter in his coat. They passed it to me and I have no choice but to look for your father to make a decision.” Soo Hyun her hair gently. “Yoo Chun chose to die because he wanted to give you his eyes. He doesn’t know how to face you anymore after knowing that you are his half-sister. So he chose to kill himself. You should listen to him and keep fighting. Don’t lose hope and have to stay strong.”

Shin Hye bit her trembling lip as she opened her eyes slowly, looking at Soo Hyun through the mirror. “Where is him? Did he die too?” She finally found the courage to ask the one question that she fear the most. She clenched her hands tightly together, waiting for the worst answer to fill her ears.

Soo Hyun sighed before he shook his head. “No. He didn’t die.”

Shin Hye looked at him with a hopeful gaze.

“He was shot in his head when the police found him. His arm and leg was shot too. He lost a lot of blood and it was really a miracle that he survived.” Soo Hyun said.

Shin Hye stood up and turned to him. “But how come? He was shot in his head as you said. How can he survive?”

“It was considered lucky that the bullet didn’t damage any critical parts in his brain. He was so strong and doesn’t want to give up even at the critical moment like that. He has a very strong will to continue to live.” Soo Hyun smiled at her. “I guess you must be the reason he survived.”

Shin Hye took a step forward as she grasped on his arms. “But how come he didn’t come to look for me? If he didn’t die, he won’t let me go away like this. He will definitely search for me no matter where you hide me.”

Soo Hyun shook his head. “The last time I checked on him, he was still in coma. Even though he survived, but brain injury is not something light or simple. He needs a long time to recover. He might still be in shock or confuse when he woke up and he really need time to rest. Although I felt strange too that he didn’t look for you but then it was only 3 months. The only people that know your whereabouts was me, my mother and your father. Even if he wants to look for you, he needs time to find it.” Soo Hyun smiled lightly at her. “Anyway, we are going back to Korea tomorrow. You will find out about it very soon. Most importantly, he is still alive.”

Shin Hye nodded her head softly. He was right. Most importantly he was still alive.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

“Do I know you?” Lee Min Ho asked as he looked at her with a curious gaze. He doesn’t understand why but he felt strange whenever their eyes were locked together. The weird electric jolt he felt just now when he hugged her in his arms makes him even curious about this woman standing in front of him. The way she looked at him, the hopeful expression on her face makes him wonder did he know her.

Shin Hye’s eyes widened in confusion as her lips parted in awe. Her knees suddenly felt weak beneath her. She tried to stay calm but she couldn’t shake off the feeling of something wrong creeping through her veins. “W-What?” She asked softly.

Min Ho looked at her and let out an awkward smile. “I’m sorry. I mean you looked familiar but I’m sure I didn’t see you before. So I was asking could it be we know each other.”

Shin Hye’s heart was pounding even faster and harder now listening to what he was saying. She was confused with everything he said and she just felt like screaming at him that she doesn’t understand what he was talking about.

Min Ho took a step back when he saw her shock expression. “Don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to find a topic to flirt with you.”

Shin Hye stepped forward, closing the distance between them, doesn’t allow him to walk away from her. She looked deep into his eyes. “You… You don’t know me?”

“Should I know you? Who are you?” He asked her back.

Before she could continue, someone cut her off from behind.

“She is my friend.”

Shin Hye turned around and saw Kim Woo Bin walking towards them. His face was hard and troubled.

Min Ho smiled at his best friend and punched him playfully when Woo Bin was standing beside him. “Yah, I thought I was late but you are even worse than me.” He paused as he looked back at Shin Hye. “You should have told me that you are bringing a friend. You make her waited for you here alone.”

Woo Bin pursed his lips and looked at Shin Hye. He gave her a meaningful gaze that signalled her to be patient and he will explain later.

Shin Hye sighed heavily before looking down.

Min Ho felt the awkward tension. He smiled at his best friend again. “I didn’t know you have a girlfriend already. Shouldn’t you introduce her to me?”

Shin Hye looked up at him in shock. Her heart was like being stabbed with a knife.

Woo Bin slapped him hard on his arm. “Yah, stop bullting. She is not my girlfriend. She is your…” He paused as he bit his lip. He let out an exaggerated sigh. “She is my friend. And you… see her before. Her name is… Park Shin Hye.”

Min Ho’s eyes moved back to Shin Hye and narrowed his gaze at her. “Park Shin Hye? The name that you say before when I was awake in the hospital?” That name was like a bell ringing in his head. That was the first name that Woo Bin said to him when he was awake from his coma. He tried hard to recall but it just felt like something blocking inside and that memory just couldn’t go through his brain and process it.

He turned back at Shin Hye and smiled. “I’m sorry. No wonder you looked shock when I asked you that question just now. You should have told me that we have seen each other before. I was injured months ago and lost part of my memories.”

Shin Hye widened her eyes again. She was totally stunned with everything she heard right now. She looked at him in disbelief. “You lost your memories? You… you don’t remember who I am?”

“Are we close to each other last time? I don’t…” Before Min Ho could finish his sentence, the little girl who was still standing beside him pulled his shirt.

“Min Ho oppa, we should go in now. Today is Sister Maria’s birthday. She is waiting for you and Woo Bin oppa. Can we go in now?” The little girl asked impatiently.

Min Ho pinched her nose softly as he smiled. “Okay okay, we are going inside now.” He said as he looked at Woo Bin. “We should go in now. Sister Maria is waiting.”

Woo Bin nodded. “You go inside with her first. I’ll come shortly.”

Min Ho nodded. “Okay.” Before he turns around to go inside, he took a last look at Shin Hye. His chest was tightened when he saw her eyes reddened. He doesn’t know why but the tears that were welling inside her eyes pained his heart. Woo Bin said he know her. His intuition told him that he knows her too but he just couldn’t remember where and who she was. He gave her a soft smile before he turned around, walking into the house with the little girl.

If not Woo Bin held her arms on time, Shin Hye was already fallen on the ground.

“Shin Hye, are you alright?” Woo Bin asked worriedly.

Tears started to roll down as she shook her head softly. “I’m not alright. How can I be alright?” She sobs as she looked up at Woo Bin, grasping tightly on his arms. “Tell me what happened. Why can’t he remember who I am?”    

Woo Bin looked at Shin Hye with sympathy as he sighed deeply. “He has amnesia.” He said softly. “He lost his memory after he was injured during the incident in your house 3 months ago.”

Shin Hye bit her lip hard. “But how come he remembered you and everything in the orphanage house but just forget about me?”

Woo Bin looked at her as he slowly explain to her what had happened after she fainted in the underground room.

-----------

Ha Neul tried his very best to pull the doorknob but it just wouldn’t open. He tried to use his gun but the security room’s door was bullet proof. He saw Yoo Chun came back through the CCTV a while ago but before he could get out of the security room, someone already locked him inside. He tried to call other security guards but all of them didn’t answer his call. He looked at his watch again and it has been almost an hour since Min Ho sneaked into the house. He was sure something happened because Min Ho wasn’t answering his call too. He got nervous and quickly calls for Woo Bin’s help.

After about 20 minutes later, the door was opened and he saw Woo Bin and a team of police following him.

“Ha Neul, where is Min Ho?” Woo Bin asked worriedly.

“I think he is in the antique room.” Ha Neul replied.

Woo Bin turned to Choi Jin Hyuk. “We have to be very careful because all of the guards in this house have a gun.”

Jin Hyuk nodded as he followed closely behind Woo Bin, walking towards the antique room. All of them were shocked looking at the square hole in the floor, with stairs heading down. Without waiting another second, they carefully walked down the stairs and Woo Bin’s heart almost stops beating when he saw Min Ho laying lifelessly beside Shin Hye. A lot of blood was seeping out from his body. He quickly ran towards his best friend and slowly pulled him up. His eyes widened in horror when he saw the wound in his head. He turned to Jin Hyuk and shouted.

“Call the ambulance now! Min Ho was shot in the head!” Woo Bin brought his trembling fingers to Min Ho nose and let out a soft sigh of relief when he felt his weak breathing. He was still alive.

He slowly put Min Ho down and rushed over to Shin Hye. She was alive too and was just fainted.

“Han Ki Ae is dead.” Jin Hyuk said behind him.

“I was sure Park Yoo Chun came back already. I saw him through the CCTV.” Ha Neul said.

Jin Hyuk turned to all his subordinates and gave his orders. “Park Yoo Chun might still be in this house. Search every corner and look for him. I’m sure he couldn’t run too far away.” He then looked back at Woo Bin and Ha Neul. You two wait here and take care of Min Ho and Park Shin Hye. The ambulance will be here shortly.” Jin Hyuk said before he ran out of the underground room to search for Park Yoo Chun.

“Inspector Choi. The study room is locked.” One of the police officer shouted as Jin Hyuk ran towards the door and took his gun out, pointing at it. “Park Yoo Chun! I’m Inspector Choi Jin Hyuk. Open the door now and come out of the room with both your hands on top of your head. If you cooperate with us, we promise we will not hurt you. I will give 5 seconds to decide or we will break in immediately.”

“1… 2… 3…”

“BANG!!!”

All the police officers including Jin Hyuk were shocked with the sudden gunshot sound. He signalled his subordinate to break the door and when he stepped into the study room, Yoo Chun was already laying on the floor lifelessly, with blood oozing out from his chest. His right hand was holding a gun as his left hand was holding a small card. Jin Hyuk slowly walked towards him as he squatted down, pressed his fingers on Yoo Chun’s neck to check his pulse. He was dead. He reached his hand to Yoo Chun’s left hand and slowly pulle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter