I Want You

Guardian of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Min Ho shifted uncomfortably in his chair as he took a sip of his beer. He sighed and looked up at Kim Woo Bin who has been staring at him for more than 10 minutes now.

“Yah! What do you want? Since you came in until now, you didn’t say a word and just keep staring at me. I know I’m handsome but I told you a lot of times that I’m straight. I’m not interested in man.” Min Ho said as he glared at his best friend.

Woo Bin crossed his arms and narrowed his gaze at Min Ho. “First, you dated Park Shin Hye. Second, you were shot by a killer. Third, from Park Shin Hye’s personal bodyguard you suddenly became her father’s assistant. Don’t you think you owe me an explanation? Don’t try to talk crap with me. I want to know the truth. What is going on behind you?”

Min Ho took another sip of his beer before he put the bottle on the table. He looked at Woo Bin with a serious gaze. “First, I date Shin Hye because I love her. Second, I was shot by a killer because Choi Seung Hyun wanted to kill me. Third, I became Park Min Sik’s assistant because I don’t want to be a bodyguard for the rest of my life.”

“But what do you know about business? Even if you don’t want to be a bodyguard, you are not that kind of person who can sit in the office from 9 to 5 and stuck yourself in the meeting for hours. And deep down inside, we know it very clearly what kind of business Park Min Sik is doing. You used to be a police. Are you trying to help him in doing some illegal work?” Woo Bin asked in a worried tone.

Min Ho held his gaze. “As you said, I used to be a police, not anymore. My leg was injured and I couldn’t do anything dangerous already. Not when I already have Shin Hye with me. I need to think about our future. She can’t have a bodyguard as her husband, right. This job might not be my area of expertise but I can learn. And why do you think Park Min Sik is doing something illegal? Dragon Corporation is a large organization. Everything has to go through the board member. He can’t simply make a decision alone.”

Woo Bin chuckled as he shook his head. “You are not that naïve, aren’t you? He is Park Min Sik. He can do anything without people knowing it.” He sighed heavily. “Did he threaten with Shin Hye so you have to help him to do something?”

Min Ho laughed softly. “You think too much. I was the one who request to work for him. And you saw it yourself during the dinner. He agreed my relationship with Shin Hye. So please don’t worry about it, okay?” He grinned. “No matter what you say or do, I won’t give up Shin Hye for you.” He joked, trying to change the sensitive topic.

Woo Bin took a big sip of the beer and sighed again. “Just remember to be careful and don’t do anything stupid just because of a girl.”

Min Ho exhaled sharply as he turned away. “She is not just a girl.” He said softly.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Oppa. I’m moving back home tomorrow.” Shin Hye sighed as her head lifted up, facing the dark sky. “I’m finally being release from the jail. But how come I don’t feel happy? I feel very scared. It has been 8 years already. Although staying here was very lonely but at least I felt that you are near to me here. Everything will be different when I go back.”

Min Ho who was just came back from drinking with Woo Bin, stopped his steps when he saw Shin Hye sitting on the swing alone in the garden. Her expression was worried and troubled. He slowly walked towards her and stopped again when he heard her talking to herself, or to be exact, talking to her brother.

Shin Hye caressed her shells bracelet and bowed her head down. “It took me so long to get use to the life here and now I have to cope with the new environment again. It has been so long and I don’t even remember how that house looks like. That day when I went back for dinner, that feeling was strange. Even the air there was different. I felt suffocated.”

“I’m sorry.”   

Shin Hye was startled with the sudden voice coming not far away from her. It was Min Ho. She quickly lifted her head up and turned to his direction. “Oppa?”

Min Ho took a deep breath before he walked to her and sat beside her on the swing. “Why wouldn’t you change your bad habit of sitting here alone even tonight is your last night here?” He held her cold hand and sighed. “How many times I have to tell you that it’s dangerous to sit here alone?”

Shin Hye let out a soft smile. “Why are you here? Today is Sunday. It’s your off day.”

“What off day? Boyfriend doesn’t have any off day.” He said as he looked at her. “I’m sorry.” He said sincerely.

Shin Hye raised her eye brows with a confused expression. “Sorry for what?”

Min Ho sighed deeply. “I didn’t know you will feel suffocated when you go back to your father’s house. I thought you will be happier to finally being set free from this house.”

Shin Hye faced down and didn’t reply him.

“Do you want me to talk to your father? If you really don’t want to go back, I can talk to him.” He paused as he squeezed her hand. “But then I wouldn’t be able to see you that often.”

Shin Hye bit her lip before she lifted her head up and smiled at him. “Since tonight is the last night staying here, can you allow me to do something dangerous for once?”

Min Ho narrowed his gaze. “Something dangerous? What’s that?” He asked.

“Can we go to the beach now?” She asked expectantly.

“Now?” Min Ho widened his eyes. He took a look at his watch and it was already 11pm.

“It will be alright. You are here with me.” Shin Hye assured him.

Min Ho scanned her from top to toe to make sure her clothes were warm enough. He let out a defeated sigh. “Just for a while, arasso?”

Shin Hye nodded her head with a sweet smile.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Min Ho and Shin Hye were walking slowly and silently along the beach with their hands entwined together. He will turned to the side and looked down at her every now and then to make sure she is alright. Her face was calm and a slight smile was plastered on it. He turned his gaze to the dark sea and smiled when memories of how they first met slowly invaded his mind.

“Why are you so quiet?” Shin Hye asked, breaking the silence and at the same time shook Min Ho off from his deep thoughts.

He stopped his steps and turned her around to face him. He reached his hand out and gently tucked the loose strands of hair behind her ear. “I was thinking back on how we first met, how much you hate me, how we slowly got close to each other and fall in love.”

Shin Hye’s cheeks reddened as she smiled. “I didn’t hate you.” She said softly.

Min Ho leaned closer to her. “Are you sure? If I remember correctly you always looked grumpy and cool when I’m around you. You and your ‘don’t-touch-me’, it really get on my nerves every time I saw you tripped clumsily but still stubbornly pushed me away.” He smiled as he pinched her nose softly. “And your stupid rules for not letting me to go inside your room. I’m glad that I broke you door that night and changed a new doorknob so I can keep your key and go inside any time I want.”

Shin Hye chewed on her bottom lip shyly. “It was because I felt uncomfortable when you are too close to me.”

Min Ho wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him. “As in this close?” He . He then leaned closer until his lips almost touch hers. “Or this close?” He whispered as his eyes dropped to her lips that she was still chewing. “Is that lips of yours really that delicious? You have a really bad habit of chewing it all the time. Let me try it out.” Without waiting for her reply, Min Ho grazed her lips with his, feeling her soft and smooth skin, and then nibbled on her bottom lip slowly. He pulled away after a while and grinned at her flushed cheeks. “Indeed very tasty.”

Shin Hye was still dazed by his kiss and when she got back to her senses; she quickly held her head low, blushed crimson with embarrassment. “Y-Yah… stop teasing me.”

Min Ho laughed as he pulled her into his embrace. “Teasing you, hugging you, kissing you, loving you, missing you and worrying about you have become part of my life now.” He said as he buried his nose in her hair, inhaled in her sweet scent. “Are you sure you will be alright moving back to your father’s house? You can tell me if you really don’t want to go back. I will find a way to talk to your father.”

Shin Hye tightened her arms around Min Ho’s waist as she sighed silently. “Even if I don’t go back now, how long can I hide myself here? There is always something that we couldn’t avoid and have to face it someday. I guess that someday is tomorrow.”

“Can I ask you a question?” Min Ho asked as he gently her back.

“Can. What you want to know?”

“Do you still remember how did the accident happen?” Min Ho asked carefully. “If you are not comfortable to talk about it, you can just ignore it.” He quickly said when he felt her body tensed up in his arms.

Shin Hye’s breathing became heavy as she closed her eyes tight. The memory of that accident slowly flashed in her mind. “Our car was heading down hill and the speed was very fast. I turned to oppa and his face was so frightened. He said the brake was not functioning. There was a big truck moving very fast towards our direction, I mean towards my direction.” She clenched her hands tightly as she inhaled deeply. “I don’t really remember how our car stopped and ended up smashing at the hillside. Everything happened so fast. My head was so pain and the last thing I saw was my brother’s face all covered with blood. When I woke up in the hospital, Yoo Chun oppa told me… my brother passed away on the spot. And my eyes…”

“Shhh… it’s okay. Don’t talk about it anymore. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t ask.” Min Ho cut her off as he tightened his arms around her trembling body.

Shin Hye pulled away from him, tears rolling down her cheeks. “That truck was heading over to my direction. Oppa turned the car to the opposite side and that was why the truck hit at his side. He was trying to save me. He used his life to save mine.” She swallowed hard as she trying to catch her breath. “I was very unhappy that day because my father will be away for business trip during my coming birthday. I thought he will at least stay at home to eat with me but he never remembers my birthday. Or I should say he doesn’t want to remember my birthday because that day was also my mother’s death anniversary. He hates me because my mother was dead giving birth to me. My brother wanted to cheer me up so he took my father’s car and wanted to bring me to the beach house.”

Min Ho raised his brows. “That was your father’s car?”

Shin Hye nodded. “My brother’s car was sent to service that day so he doesn’t have a car. But he always used my father’s car so I think that was why he thought that car was alright.”

“Did… did your father report this case to the police?” Min Ho asked again.

“He did because later the police said the whole thing was just an accident. The hill was narrow and the brake was out of order, so they just treat it as a normal car accident.” She said.

Min Ho looked away with a suspicious expression. But then he turned back to Shin Hye and cupped her cheeks, wiped her tear away with his thumbs. “Don’t cry. It was already in the past.” He leaned down to kiss her forehead. “You won’t be alone anymore. You have me now. I won’t leave you.”

Shin Hye lifted her chin up. “Don’t simply make a promise like this because I will believe you. I don’t know whether my heart could take it or not if you leave me one day.”

Min Ho clenched his jaw as he looked into that pair of beautiful but sightless eyes. She was right. Is that a promise that he could keep? Even if he wanted to be with her forever, will she forgive him for what he was about to do? He has no confidence. But there was one thing he was very sure. His heart wouldn’t be able to take it too if she leave him one day. He sighed silently before he caressed her cheek tenderly.

“As long as you promise me that you won’t leave me, I will never leave you too.” Min Ho said in a firm tone.

Shin Hye smiled slightly. “Why would I leave you?”

“Who knows? Maybe you start getting tired of me. Maybe you fall in love with other bodyguard. Maybe one day you regain your eyesight and found out that I’m not as handsome as you think.” He said as the smile on his face slowly faded before he continued. “Or maybe one day… you found out that I’m not the person you think I am.”

Shin Hye tilted her head to the side. “You are not handsome? You look ugly?” She asked, pretend to be disappointed.

Min Ho smiled at her reaction. “Yah! Are you regretting it now if I’m really not handsome?” He pulled his hand away from her face as he took a step back, arms crossed. “Compared to your Yoo Chun oppa, I think I look a lot better.”

Shin Hye hit his chest as she laughed softly. “Don’t drag Yoo Chun oppa into this. As what I remember about him, he is very handsome.”

Min Ho sneered. “He is handsome? You really need to do the eyes surgery so you can see yourself what is handsome.”

Shin Hye laughed again as she turned around and walked away.

“Yah! Where do you think you are going?” Min Ho said as he wrapped his arms around her waist from behind. “Don’t ever try to walk away from me.” He said, pressing his lips on her neck making her to squirm at the sudden touch of his lips. “Don’t worry about going back your father’s home. Although I won’t be able to stay beside you like now every day, but I promise you that I will appear in front of you right away whenever you call me, whenever you need me. I won’t be too far away from you.” He tightened his arms around her as he rested his chin on her shoulder. “Remember what I told you during the charity ball? I won’t let you fall. Even if you fall, I’ll be there to catch you. So don’t be scared. I’ll be there with you no matter what happen.”

Shin Hye smiled, nodded her head as the tears fell down her eyes.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Agashi, be careful of the steps.” The old maid said as she held tightly onto Shin Hye’s arm, bringing her upstairs to her room she used to live last time before she moved to the beach house.

Shin Hye smiled. “Don’t worry. I roughly still remember the structure of this house. I just need some time to familiarize with the environment.”

“How can I not worry? The house is so big and agashi might trip on something and fall.” She said worriedly. She opened the door when they reach Shin Hye’s room and slowly pulled her inside. “Even though agashi doesn’t stay here anymore but I’ll come in to clean it every day. I know you will sure come back one day.” The old maid wiped her own tears away as she sniffed. “You finally come home today.”

Shin Hye turned to her and smiled at her warmly. “Ahjuhma, you should be happy that I’m back now. Don’t cry.” She held the old maid’s hand and squeezed it softly. “Thank you.”

The old maid patted her hand and sighed. “The last time I saw you 8 years ago, you were still a little young lady. And now you have become a beautiful young woman. Your mother and brother will sure be very happy looking at how well you have grown up.”

Shin Hye held her head low when she heard the old maid mention about her mother and brother. She let out a sigh before facing back at the old maid. “Ahjuhma, can you help me to the dressing table?”

The old maid slowly pulled her towards her dressing table and helped her to sit on the chair. “All of your things are still at the same place. I didn’t move anything.”

Shin Hye nodded and smiled. She touched the surface of the dressing table until her hand touched something that was about her palm size. She held it up and caressed it softly, trying to remember what is the thing she was holding. She then slowly remembered. It was a big sea shell that her brother gave her last time. She took the sea shell and gently placed it at her ear, listening to the soft sound coming out from the hole of the sea shell.

----------

“Wah… the sea is really beautiful. I wish I could stay here and watch the beautiful sea when I wake up every morning.” Shin Hye said as she smiled brightly.

Park Dae Jung smiled at her sister as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “Why do you like the beach and the sea so much?” He asked his sister.

“Don’t you think it’s very beautiful? And it’s very peaceful here. The sound of the soft waves that surrounding us, the chill wind that blow through our body, everything is so beautiful and relax. I can listen to the sound of the soft waves for the whole day.”

Park Dae Jung smiled again as he took something out from his jacket and put it inside his sister’s hand.

Shin Hye was startled by him as she looked down at her hand. She was now holding a big beautiful white colour sea shell. She then looked up at her brother with a surprise expression. “This is so beautiful. Where did you get it? I didn’t see it anywhere here.”

“I have my way to find it.” He said as he hel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter