One

Of Buns and Deers

The door of the bakery shop opened. The owner, Kyungsoo, wiped his hands on his flour-stained apron.

“How may I help you?” Kyungsoo said, staring oddly at the customer.

A slim man in a business suit stood in front of him. His black hair was neatly gelled back and he wore a pair of expensive sunglasses. Everything about him shouted, “rich”. However, this man in particular was cradling a brown deer in his arms. The brown deer was wearing a matching suit and a top hat. It was also sipping a bottle of banana milk.

Kyungsoo blinked. He resumed wiping the countertops. One of the bakery chairs glared at the deer.

“Can I get an Americano? Dark.” The man asked politely. “And a few buns for my deer.”

“We don’t sell coffee, I’m afraid.” Kyungsoo said. “But…um, I can get you some buns for your…deer.”

“His name is Luhan, thank you.” The man fondly patted his deer. The deer didn’t move, instead choosing to stare at the white buns in the glass case.

Suddenly, a little boy darted in from the back of the store. He shoved Kyungsoo over and reached in, clutching a white bun in his grubby hands. He was about to run off when Kyungsoo grabbed his hand.

“Sehun, I’m helping a customer. Put that bun back.” Kyungsoo sighed and pulled his son back to the counter.

“No! It’s MY Minseok, and no one can have him.” Sehun glared up at him.

Then, he saw the man holding the deer. Sehun dropped the bun and immediately ran over.

“Can I pet your deer?” Sehun was already reaching upwards.

“Sorry, no, you can’t.” The man took a step back.

Sehun frowned and his lip started to quiver. “Please?”

“No. Luhan doesn’t like people.”

Kyungsoo pretended to ignore the conversation and quickly wrapped up a few steamed buns in a paper bag. He heard footsteps behind him. Kyungsoo sighed again. Kai was finally here. He was thirty minutes late for his shift, and that meant nothing would get done for an hour, at least.

“Lay! Long time no see!” Kai jumped up and squealed. He kissed Lay’s nose.

Kyungsoo and the bakery chair glared at Lay. It was Lay’s fault, whoever Lay was.

“You know…this guy?” Kyungsoo said.

“Of course! He’s the bae of all the baes.” Kai picked up Luhan and swung him around. “And this is the boo of all the boos.”

Sehun looked up at Kai.

“Dad, Luhan doesn’t like people.”

Kai sang a lullaby to the deer. “Of course he does.”

The deer kicked him in the face. Kai wailed and backed up against the counter. He almost stepped on the white bun on the ground.

Sehun suddenly remembered Minseok. “Stop! Don’t step on him!”

Luhan’s ears perked up. The deer leaped up and ran towards the steamed bun. He sniffed it, picked it up, and raced out the door. Sehun started crying. Lay threw a wad of bills at Kyungsoo and grabbed the paper bag filled with buns. Kai screamed, receiving another dirty look from the bakery chair. Kyungsoo fell over and landed on the floor. After everyone had recovered from the ordeal, Lay, the deer, and Minseok were long gone. Sehun grabbed his notebook and ran out the door after Minseok. He didn’t hear the shouts of protest from his parents.

A/N:

Guess who the chair is.