The First Meeting

A Little Not Over You

JI HYO POV:

Sitting beside him felt so different in a good way and a bad way. I focused on what the teacher was saying instead of talking like I usually do to Jong Kook or Eun Hye. However, the situation was really awkward without anyone saying a single thing. Suddenly, the teacher said something that made my stomach do a little flip. 

"All pairs please use this one hour given to discuss your project. All pairs will need to submit to me a brief proposal of what each one of you are going to do for your project. Remember it must be something that involves the arts! Let's go!" He then set a timer and every pair started discussing actively. I turned to face Gary however when our eyes locked and met, I quickly turned back and sat in silence. I was able to open my mouth to start a conversation but someone else beat me to it.

"How about a song? A duet the two of us?" Gary suggested. "You can play the piano and sing while I can rap and beatbox to match up to you!" When I look up, he was smiling enthusiastically. 

"That..." I stop and smiled. "Is a really good idea!" I scrambled for a piece of paper in my bag and started scribbling down some ideas. 

"What about lyrics? You want to do a cover or ask for lyrics from the lyrics crew in our school?" I was feeling excited and happy now instead of awkward. 

"I was thinking of writing our own lyrics. What do you think?" He now finally turned to face me and we started discussing actively like other teams. After about 15 minutes, we closed our notepads and rested. Just as we closed our eyes, someone barged into the lecture hall and shouted out," Ji Hyo!!!" I woke up with a startle. At that moment I knew who it was from all the reactions even though I can't see the person. Girls all around the lecture hall started calling his name and was like sighing just looking at him. I stood up and walked down the stairs to him. I came face to face with my brother, Joong Ki. I hit his head hard and he winced. 

"Aish! This is what you do to greet your handsome and adorable brother after 3 weeks?" He acted cute and rubbed his head. Girls started cheering and sighing again. 

"I am having lesson, how can you do this? Go home and rest. By the way, mom and dad are at Japan." I told him, pushing him out of the lecture hall. 

"Really? Yes! Let's play the dance game tonight with the Kinect!!! Yes!!!" He then ran down the hallway and cheered so loud until teachers came out of their classes to see. My brother loved it when our parents are not as home as we were free like the butterflies in our garden. No one to control and even tell us what to do except June. I walked back into the lecture hall and sat down beside Gary again. Unknowingly, as soon as I closed my eyes, I fell asleep. 

"JI HYO AND GARY!!!" A sudden shout and buzzing sound rattled in my ear, bringing Gary and I to stand up instantly from our sleep. Our teacher had returned after an hour and had just caught us sleeping. 

"Don't you need to discuss? Every one here is complaining insufficient time and yet the two of you are sleeping back there! Ji Hyo! You are a model student. How can you?" He reprimanded me. I rolled my eyes. Every time I do something wrong, I get his crap that I am a model student and cannot set a bad example. I was so pissed but someone spoke up for me. Gary.

"Mr Song, so what if she is a model student? Isn't she human? Do you think she doesn't need sleep like you do? Come on, give this lady here a break!" He stomped his foot and tilted his cap back to his original position- 45 degrees.

An urge overcame me and I did something I have never done before. I talked back to the teacher.

"Yes Mr Song! I may be a model student but I am sick of it. I need rest too. Besides, we are done with our discussion, we cannot do anymore discussion here as we need a music room! GIve me a break come on! I am sick and tired of this!" I finally did what my brother always told me to do. Retaliate. I picked up my things, grabbed Gary's hands and left the lecture hall, leaving everyone speechless. The moment we left the lecture hall, I didn't let go of his hands until we reached the cafeteria. 

"Geez!" I slammed my book onto the table, causing a roar and vibration of the table. The staff all looked at me. I glared back and shouted," Nothing to see!" 

Suddenly, Gary started laughing. He laughed so hard he was gripping his stomach and stamping his feet. 

"Why? What's so funny?" I tried to be serious but after seeing him laugh, I started giggling then laughing out loud too.

"You were really... funny... and weirdly serious when you were talking back against Mr Song. My.... hahaha... first time seeing someone talk back so seriously and so ..... adorably!" He then calmed down and sat down. We finally calmed down. I got up and bought my lunch. Who cares about going back for lesson. I couldn't care less. Gary followed behind me but never really bought anything. 

"Why aren't you buying anything?" I asked him, curious. 

"You don't know? I am an orphan. I have no money to buy food after paying for school fees and rental fees despite working." He said to me, his head down and his tone solemn. 

"Aish! AUNTIE! GIVE THIS BOY A PLATE OF WHAT I AM EATING FOR FREE!" I screamed at her. Startled, she quickly scooped the food and passed it to him. He looked at me. I pretty much could guess what he was thinking of.

"I am not taking pity on you. I am just showing concern for my new friend. Friends treat each other to food ocassionally. Don't worry too much. Even if I really pity you, I am not so mean to tell anyone about this!" I smiled to him as sincerely as I could hoping he wouldn't think that I am looking down at him. 

"Thank you friend!" He pat my shoulder and we sat back down eating our lunch while in the lecture hall, at some distance was a lesson going on. This experience was refreshing, fun and just so addictive... At that moment, I felt like we owned the world...